Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Ooops not hearing much from my fellow work out team...I am continuing to slog ahead on my own

Steps average 12,407/day

Calories burned average 3249/day

Average sleep 6:17/night

Current weight 225.4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

230.4 yesterday. Have not replaced my lost Fitbit yet. Occasionally keeping up with steps through S Health on Galaxy s5, but inconsistently. I'm sure if I was exercising more I would be keeping up better, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    1. Went today without wearing my watch. I have to do that more often. I do not want to add to things I wear on my wrist, I want to take away..

2. It is glorious not having to charge that or change the battery for 4 months.

3. I'm still considering something on my wrist because you're right, I hate spending and wasting money.
    Okay, here is the deal. I think I told you guys that about a year ago I bought a Xiomi Mi band fitness band. Remarkable device for about 15 bucks. I misplaced the charging cord and had to order another charging cord for it, and I really don't like wearing things on my list anyway. So I just sort of abandoned it.

Charged it up this morning, and have started wearing it again, in the hopes that will cause me to begin exercising again. I will admit that it is extra cool, in that it will gently vibrate if I get a phone call, even if my phone is on silent, receive a text message, email, with different colors for different email accounts, alarms can be said multiple times, and it does that nonsensical measuring of sleep to tell me that I am a horribly sleep deprived person. The battery life on this charge is 30 days, which ain't all that bad, even for me who hates to have to recharge things. The biggest issue is getting used to wearing it, although for bands it is extremely comfortable. Oh, and it is ip67, which means it is dustproof and water resistant. Can wear it in shower, expose it to rain, etc. Just don't go swimming with it.

I will probably buy another fitbit zip, because I hate wearing things but I'm also cheap...err, frugal.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 03-11-2016 at 02:16 PM.

Bombino

Re: 2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Okay, here is the deal. I think I told you guys that about a year ago I bought a Xiomi Mi band fitness band. Remarkable device for about 15 bucks. I misplaced the charging cord and had to order another charging cord for it, and I really don't like wearing things on my list anyway. So I just sort of abandoned it.

Charged it up this morning, and have started wearing it again, in the hopes that will cause me to begin exercising again. I will admit that it is extra cool, in that it will gently vibrate if I get a phone call, even if my phone is on silent, receive a text message, email, with different colors for different email accounts, alarms can be said multiple times, and it does that nonsensical measuring of sleep to tell me that I am a horribly sleep deprived person. The battery life on this charge is 30 days, which ain't all that bad, even for me who hates to have to recharge things. The biggest issue is getting used to wearing it, although for bands it is extremely comfortable. Oh, and it is ip67, which means it is dustproof and water resistant. Can wear it in shower, expose it to rain, etc. Just don't go swimming with it.

I will probably buy another fitbit zip, because I hate wearing things but I'm also cheap...err, frugal.
    Xiaomi is making some good stuff. I have their Piston 3 headphones and ABSOLUTELY love them, there name is pronounced roughly "Show Me" if anyone cares. They fit perfectly in my ears and have very nice sound quality, especially at their price. The only downside is that they are getting so popular that the Chinese are knocking them off (even though Xiaomi is Chinese), so you have to buy from a reputable distrubutor. I purchased mine from Amazon (avoiding the 3rd party sellers) that way I know I was getting the real deal.

Tuesday Fitbit update.

My step average dropped a wee bit to 9654/day

Exercising averaging 45 minutes/ day

Calorie burn during exercise went up to close to 700/day on the machine

Sleep was no better at closer to 6 hours/ night with less restless minutes

I have seen my weight as low as 221.6, but today's weigh in had me at 223.8.

So far so good. Not really dieting with the exception of no processed sweets.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I'm still right at 230 (229.8). For not doing any exercising recently, or really watching what I am eating, I am not unhappy with that. I actually feared it would be more.

I have to decide whether I'm going to bite the bullet and buy another Fitbit, or live with the Xiomi band. I actually think the band undercounts about 20%. I don't really care, as long as it is consistent--I can adjust what the numbers "should" be. (For example, I can internally say that I need a minimum of 6k steps daily, even when I don't exercise, instead of 7.5k.) It's embarrassing, but without accountability, I find it's too easy not to exercise. My daughter has a Fitbit band she offered to give me (she bought the new one with the Touch screen), but I'm struggling to get used to the Xiomi band, as I hate wearing stuff, so I declined. But I need to get back into my Fitbit group.

I'm still right at 230 (229.8). For not doing any exercising recently, or really watching what I am eating, I am not unhappy with that. I actually feared it would be more.

I have to decide whether I'm going to bite the bullet and buy another Fitbit, or live with the Xiomi band. I actually think the band undercounts about 20%. I don't really care, as long as it is consistent--I can adjust what the numbers "should" be. (For example, I can internally say that I need a minimum of 6k steps daily, even when I don't exercise, instead of 7.5k.) It's embarrassing, but without accountability, I find it's too easy not to exercise. My daughter has a Fitbit band she offered to give me (she bought the new one with the Touch screen), but I'm struggling to get used to the Xiomi band, as I hate wearing stuff, so I declined. But I need to get back into my Fitbit group.
    I like my Fitbit Charge HR, it is a band. It's got caller ID and is synced up to my cell phone.

The step counter is accurate but the steps to mileage ratio is a tad off but like you said since I know I can compensate. The one thing that is way off is the stairs counter, for instance it said I went up 7 flights of steps today and didn't climb not even one set of stairs until I got home.

The other thing is it requires charging, but while its water resistant I've gotten in the habit of plugging the charger in everyday when I get in the shower.

My daughter just got one so now she's challenging me to daily step offs which has been a lot of fun. For the most part I usually beat her especially on the five days a week that I exercise. I'm pretty sedentary on Saturdays, at least until the weather officially breaks and yard stuff begins.

I'm still averaging around 11k steps a day w/ some 14k days once or twice a week....but tomorrow is when I get my fitbit email with weekly update

My weekly Fitbit update for last week has me at

Average steps/day 9833, best day 13834

Cals burned / day 3246 but who knows how accurate that is. I just go by my cal burn during exercise which is 800 cals/ 45 minutes five days a week.

My sleep is better I'm average closer to 6 hours/night.

My weigh in had me at 221.5, and I've seen it as low as 219.2

Shooting for 10 more lbs, but the last 10 are always harder than the first 15.

Bombino

Tired of the random results of mainly focusing on exercise, I decided to go back to basics with my food consumption. I picked up a kitchen scale on Amazon and I am counting and tracking calories, using MyFitnessPal. I track EVERYTHING, from the fun-sized candy bar that I grabbed as a snack, to the chips I have, to the salad (which I weight out), the grapefruit and even the butter on my bagel (I measure in teaspoons). It isn't easy work, but I learned something. I cannot trust my body to tell me when I am hungry. I could eat a 600 calorie meal and my body would tell me I am starving an hour later. So I am learning to ignore it and just trust my calories for the day. Counting calories makes the food choices much more real so that I am much more inclined to pick healthy food instead of quick food. On that note, I have started back with my Meal Prep Sundays (though they aren't always Sunday). I will cook food for multiple meals all in one go (prepping common ingredients, like onion and garlic, together to save time). As a result, I spend a couple hours on Sunday preparing most, if not all, of my food for the week. I store it in containers, weigh out a portion for a meal and reheat. So far I am down around 10lbs since starting all of the above.

I also decided to cutout caffeine, this isn't a hard cutout but I actively avoid it. After one week of struggling with caffeine withdrawls, I am feeling actually more clear headed than before (this might also be in part to eating better as well). I was tired of the mixed stressed and exhausted feeling I was getting due to my high caffeine consumption. At the time, I wasn't sure if it was caused by the caffeine or reality. I can now say, it was the caffeine.

I'm wearing the Xiomi band today, but I have given up on wearing it as an exercise measurement device. I don't think it is that accurate (which I'm ok with--it's pretty consistent, and you can adjust your expectations based on whatever the measurements routinely demonstrate), but moreover, I just can't get used to wearing a band. I went without wearing it for a glorious week, and it was so much better, and so much more comfortable.

I need to focus on weight loss and exercise both. I'm about ready to break down and purchase my 3rd Fitbit Zip (I have only "permanently" lost one of them, as I found one and gave it to my wife), and just use the food/calorie app with the Fitbit app. I have used LoseIt before, and like it, and I'm not sure if I tried My Fitness Pal or not, but my idea is simplification, use of one app, rather than two, I think.

I'm contemplating purchasing it at Walmart today. But I may wait a little while longer, although it has been almost seven weeks now, and it hasn't turned up.

I broke a cable on my Gazelle so my exercise is on hold. I ordered the replacement today, they said I should have it in a week. I'm at 220.2 but my official weigh in day is tomorrow.

For the rest of the week I'm going to have to rely on diet.

I do have some yard work to get done that'll burn some calories.

Almost as much as I have ever weighed.

Time to get serious.

Just downloaded and signed up with Fooducate. Read several articles on weight loss apps. All of the usual suspects we have discussed are there like My fitness Pal, Lose it, Google Fit, etc. and even Fitbit's own app. I thought I would try this one because it gives you information on each food as to whether it's good or not, you can scan, or use the camera and it will tell you. I'm pretty ignorant - I mean, are the granola bars good for me to eat as a snack because they are granola, or bad because they have sugar? You know, that kind of stuff. I suspect after a few weeks of use I will have a much better handle on some of my usual foods.

Bombino

Just downloaded and signed up with Fooducate. Read several articles on weight loss apps. All of the usual suspects we have discussed are there like My fitness Pal, Lose it, Google Fit, etc. and even Fitbit's own app. I thought I would try this one because it gives you information on each food as to whether it's good or not, you can scan, or use the camera and it will tell you. I'm pretty ignorant - I mean, are the granola bars good for me to eat as a snack because they are granola, or bad because they have sugar? You know, that kind of stuff. I suspect after a few weeks of use I will have a much better handle on some of my usual foods.
    At the end of the day, barring you having any major health problems like severe hypertension or diabetes, it comes down to CICO (Calories In Calories Out). Eating at a caloric deficit will cause you to lose weight, while it might take you some time to find out exactly what your break even caloric level is (using a TDEE calculator is a good start). For people that are otherwise healthy, there is no such thing as a good food or bad food per se just good or bad quantities you consume. You could make the salad and twinkie diet and as long as you kept your calories under your break even point, you would lose weight. I have found, using a food scale (because mass is more accurate than volume) and calorie labels is enough to get me through. Since I prepare most of my meals, not eat out, this easier.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    At the end of the day, barring you having any major health problems like severe hypertension or diabetes, it comes down to CICO (Calories In Calories Out). Eating at a caloric deficit will cause you to lose weight, while it might take you some time to find out exactly what your break even caloric level is (using a TDEE calculator is a good start). For people that are otherwise healthy, there is no such thing as a good food or bad food per se just good or bad quantities you consume. You could make the salad and twinkie diet and as long as you kept your calories under your break even point, you would lose weight. I have found, using a food scale (because mass is more accurate than volume) and calorie labels is enough to get me through. Since I prepare most of my meals, not eat out, this easier.
    I don't agree with this at all, Pedro. Calories are a measure of energy, and only one component of whether a food is good or bad--per se. It is a myth that it is the only thing that matters, and/or an oversimplification.

Without writing four pages of why that is true (and I am sure you know that to be accurate), foods affect your body in different ways, and affect metabolism and the manner in which your body can burn fat or lose weight in total.

My primary goal of weight loss will be to cut calories. I think that's the smartest thing. But it's far from the only thing related to food--even for weight loss, much less health--and that's why I personally am seeking Fooducate to assist in identifying good foods.

Picked up a new Fitbit zip tonight. Gave it to my wife, unpaired hers (my first original one), paired the new one as a replacement for a current user so she didn't lose her data, then took her current one (my original one) and did the same for me. Reason for the gymnastics was that she had the charcoal color one (I like) and bought a magenta color one (she likes).

Back on track.

Picked up a new Fitbit zip tonight. Gave it to my wife, unpaired hers (my first original one), paired the new one as a replacement for a current user so she didn't lose her data, then took her current one (my original one) and did the same for me. Reason for the gymnastics was that she had the charcoal color one (I like) and bought a magenta color one (she likes).

Back on track.
    I'm exhausted just trying to figure out the five zip finagle. Until I get my replacement cable for my gazelle I can burn calories reading your posts😳

Keep'm coming, 220.2 with at least five to go.

I set my goal at 190, which I haven't seen yet in decades, but also extended the time for 18 months. Hoping to do it more quickly than that, but that's 44 pounds and I don't want to create frustration when I fall behind if I am too aggressive.

I'm one for one on keeping my calories under the mark (1830 is my mark).

Have been crazy sedentary today working at home, but will try to hit a minimum of 7,500 steps today. Going to the gym in a couple of hours and will try to do 2-3 miles on the treadmill.

Great new diet plan. Leave to take son to doctor at 10:30. Four hours later, still at doctor's office. Chances of eating lunch, zero.

Yep, with any luck you can also pick up some stray flu germs and lose even more weight😀

Well, it seems as though I've jinxed myself and caught the flu bug. I don't recall ever being this sick.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Well, it seems as though I've jinxed myself and caught the flu bug. I don't recall ever being this sick.

Sounds like the real flu, not the fake one. I have had the twice that I can remember. The worst time was when I was a sophomore @ UK. I was on the top floor of the no-longer existing Haggin Hall, I was too weak to even walk to K-Lair. I had to have friends bring me food. It sucked horribly. Hope you feelbetter soon boss.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    Sounds like the real flu, not the fake one. I have had the twice that I can remember. The worst time was when I was a sophomore @ UK. I was on the top floor of the no-longer existing Haggin Hall, I was too weak to even walk to K-Lair. I had to have friends bring me food. It sucked horribly. Hope you feelbetter soon boss.
    Thanks GR8, I made it!! It was touch and go for a day or two, but after three days of sick hell I ate the bear!!

I don't know what it was, throwing up for two days and sea sick feeling for the entire ride. I never real had a fever to speak of, but I had a rocking headache for the duration. Battling weakness now but that's probably just lack of food.

Glad to be alive...

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Thanks GR8, I made it!! It was touch and go for a day or two, but after three days of sick hell I ate the bear!!

I don't know what it was, throwing up for two days and sea sick feeling for the entire ride. I never real had a fever to speak of, but I had a rocking headache for the duration. Battling weakness now but that's probably just lack of food.

Glad to be alive...

That is great to hear that you are getting better, sounds like you REALLY got hammered. Wonder if it was a norovirus (they cause severe gastric distress). The weakness can be lack of food AND lack of electrolytes from the upset stomach. Get some Pedialyte (much better at refreshing electrolytes than sports drinks) to drink along with eating some decent food and you should be better soon.

As for me, I am down 14lbs so far, since I started dieting. Still a BUNCH to go, but last week I just did a squat for the first time with a full 45lb plate on each side. Not a big deal for most, but for me it was a huge accomplishment. I haven't done that since I was a freshman in college. Getting there, slowly but surely. Loving the StrongLifts5x5 plan, I am definitely seeing gains in muscular definition and ability.

Seems like not eating a whole lot for the last four days I would have withered away to nothing, but alas I'm at 219. Probably not having the energy or fortitude to even twitch had something to do with it.

I did get my replacement cable for my gazelle so I'll be back in business here starting, probably Sunday.

Still not sure what I had, but from what I'm hearing there are variations of what I had running rampant in the area.

It appears I'm lucky with whatever it was only making me nauseous and throwing up, as opposed to nauseous and throwing up along with diarrhea.

Anyway I'd like to lose another 5 lbs between now and 2nd week of May at which time I'll find my big azz on the beach for two weeks.

I don't even think about watching what I eat on vacation, and even though I'm pretty active while vacationing, there is nothing really physically demanding unless we get some big waves. Since we'll be on the gulf side, the likely hood of big waves in May are slim. I will start my seasonal swimming exercise while down there but getting in swimming shape is hard and I'm not likely to work that hard on vacation. I'll get a little more serious when we return.

The goal during vacation is to not gain over 5lbs, so if I can get the extra 5lbs off now now I'll break even while gone.

At some point I'll be snooping around about weights but for now I'm sticking with cardio.

230.6 this morning, so -4.2 pounds in two weeks. Ran 2.5 miles at Spain Park yesterday, did the same the day before with my son. He's rehabbing an ACL sprain, and started his conditioning program back Saturday, so I'm running with him when I can.

Have been under my mark on calories for two weeks now, or whenever I started, which is almost that, I guess. Usually around 1650 calories. I will "run it up" in the mid 2000's one day this week or maybe early next week, as I understand your body gets used to the lower calories unless you "ramp it up" every once in awhile. Somebody here, I think, told me when you start it, you don't need to do that for about 3 weeks when you first get started, but after that, once a week you should do it (without going crazy overboard, and with your total calorie count for the week being the amount you need to drop pounds.)

Almost as much as I have ever weighed.

Time to get serious.

By the way--I was thirsty before we ran yesterday--and realize, my "running" is a slow jog for 200 meters, then I walk for about 50-100 meters, then jog another 100-150 meters, and sorta do what I can the entire time like that. I try to jog more than I walk, but toward the end it's very close to 50-50.

Anyway, I was thirsty, and didn't think too much about it. I carry a case of water in my car at all times, so I had water that was cool enough to drink. Opened a bottle and took a quick gulp before we started.

Toward the end I got a little dizzy. It was sunny, I wasn't wearing a hat, and it was 77 degrees. I know that's not hot, and that's what fooled me--it was hot enough in the sun that, with the lack of headwear, and with being ill-prepared before I started, it was foolish. I'm 55-years old, and I can't do stupid things like that anymore. It wasn't bad, but just a little.

So warning to all, if you go outside and exercise--be careful.

By the way--I was thirsty before we ran yesterday--and realize, my "running" is a slow jog for 200 meters, then I walk for about 50-100 meters, then jog another 100-150 meters, and sorta do what I can the entire time like that. I try to jog more than I walk, but toward the end it's very close to 50-50.

Anyway, I was thirsty, and didn't think too much about it. I carry a case of water in my car at all times, so I had water that was cool enough to drink. Opened a bottle and took a quick gulp before we started.

Toward the end I got a little dizzy. It was sunny, I wasn't wearing a hat, and it was 77 degrees. I know that's not hot, and that's what fooled me--it was hot enough in the sun that, with the lack of headwear, and with being ill-prepared before I started, it was foolish. I'm 55-years old, and I can't do stupid things like that anymore. It wasn't bad, but just a little.

So warning to all, if you go outside and exercise--be careful.
    It seems like at 77 degrees and even though it's sunny your hair should offer enough protection without wearing a hat..... Oh wait a minute! Never mind.

I was wearing my Sweat Gutr, which is the greatest thing ever invented. Because of allergies, I decided not to wear contacts, and wore my glasses instead. Despite sweating profusely, not a drop of perspiration trickled on my spectacles. Amazingly good invention, especially for those of us who are follicly challenged. It is also 100x better than the best sweat band, bandana or whatever. Rinse off the salty perspiration, and it is good to go again.