Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Re: 2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I didn't post it here, but I weighed after I got back at 221.4. I left for New Orleans at 216.2. Now that's ridiculous. I know there are vacillations, and that doesn't really mean I gained 5 pounds in a long weekend in New Orleans, but sheesh.

This morning back "down" to 219.8, so at least I'm temporarily back under 220. Gotta get under 215 and start seeing under 210 as the next goal.
    My goal is just to see my feet again without the aid of a mirror...
    Still holding at 232-229 range no matter what.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

227 today.....looked at food and felt like puking
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

4.45 miles from 3:30-4:30. 95° temperature. Good thing Spain Park has a good amount of shade!

I like hot weather. Not sure I like this hot though.

3.31 today, worse than yesterday. Heardmont Park not much shade... I thought there was more. Tough. 40.6 for the month.

Fab Five

3.31 today, worse than yesterday. Heardmont Park not much shade... I thought there was more. Tough. 40.6 for the month.
    Your perseverence in this heat is amazing. I rode 9 miles yesterday at 5 in the evening and it was all I wanted. Tomorrow I head to Annistion to get the last 16 miles I need for the monthly goal. Got to get there early.
    Real Fan since 1958

Mick, I'm really slow. I take it easy. Spain Park, as you know, has a lot of shade. I think it's a ton easier than riding on the hot streets. 5pm is as hot as it gets, too, so you be careful.

226 today. Had to use a stapler to keep my pants up
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Fab Five

Well, I missed my goal of hitting 100 miles for the month of July. I finished at 93. Missed riding on Tuesday because of a torrential storm. Drat! I've set a goal for the last half of the year at 450 miles. One thing I have learned. I ride double the miles when I ride with the bike group, (le Tour de Ham). On my own I get 8 to 10 miles. With the group it is 15 to 20.
    Real Fan since 1958

Down 3 lb since yesterday to a stealth 223. Who says stress isn't healthy?

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Well, I missed my goal of hitting 100 miles for the month of July. I finished at 93. Missed riding on Tuesday because of a torrential storm. Drat! I've set a goal for the last half of the year at 450 miles. One thing I have learned. I ride double the miles when I ride with the bike group, (le Tour de Ham). On my own I get 8 to 10 miles. With the group it is 15 to 20.
    I send a text message to my son and wife immediately when I finish a run. I run so slowly in my slow-man-jog-shuffle-then-walk mode that I couldn't "run" with anyone else, but it's my way of holding myself accountable. Runtastic has their app where you can just click and send your stats, run map, etc. to text or email people, and so that's what I do. If I didn't do that, I'm not sure I'd do as much either.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Down 3 lb since yesterday to a stealth 223. Who says stress isn't healthy?
    Hmm. Not sure that's 4-out-of-5 doctor recommended, but hey, you're the Doc!

Fab Five

I send a text message to my son and wife immediately when I finish a run. I run so slowly in my slow-man-jog-shuffle-then-walk mode that I couldn't "run" with anyone else, but it's my way of holding myself accountable. Runtastic has their app where you can just click and send your stats, run map, etc. to text or email people, and so that's what I do. If I didn't do that, I'm not sure I'd do as much either.
    Do you like Runtastic? It aggravates me. Do you have the pro version. If so do you like it better than the free version?
    Real Fan since 1958

Hey!! I saw 218.3 yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Do you like Runtastic? It aggravates me. Do you have the pro version. If so do you like it better than the free version?
    I don't remember the regular version. I got the Pro version right away, maybe they had some deal on it or something because I wouldn't spend much on it otherwise. I like it. It keeps track of how much wear is on each pair of shoes I wear, and I kid around with the mph per mile, per ½ mile, stat thing. Also does a nice enough job with a map of the route taken.

Elevation, hydration, etc. are stats that are probably way wrong but I like to see them. Tracks the weather, too. All of those things may be in the free version too, I dunno.

I don't have the subscription thing, just the Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Hey!! I saw 218.3 yesterday.

Im gunning for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Im gunning for ya.
    I should be pretty easy to gun down, I’m really not doing anything as far as diet or any type of structured exercise.

Basically, busy at work running around and keeping up with yard work and out door activities keeps me from getting too sedentary.

Off to the farmer’s market this morning to load up on silver queen corn, fresh melons (watermelons, cantaloupes) and assorted veggies.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

217.4 this morning.

Yesterday went for my first run of August. Schedule, travel and weather have been terrible for me so far. Went at 4 pm. 95° still. Fortunately a good part of the run is in shade, but it was brutal. Very slow.

I know I should go in the morning, but it just doesn't fit my schedule well. 7pm is another good choice, and that one can work.

217.4 this morning.

Yesterday went for my first run of August. Schedule, travel and weather have been terrible for me so far. Went at 4 pm. 95° still. Fortunately a good part of the run is in shade, but it was brutal. Very slow.

I know I should go in the morning, but it just doesn't fit my schedule well. 7pm is another good choice, and that one can work.
    Leader of the pack... I should be getting motivated from your success, but alas, I’m still a lazy pig. No structured exercise or diet. Still hanging around 218-220 depending on what time of the day, and/or day of the week. 219 flat this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Leader of the pack... I should be getting motivated from your success, but alas, I’m still a lazy pig. No structured exercise or diet. Still hanging around 218-220 depending on what time of the day, and/or day of the week. 219 flat this morning.

Yes, but I'm only 6'0 tall too.

Im stuck at 224.

222 today

215.4 this morning. Probably bounce back some tomorrow; seems like when I take a bigger jump, it's not really the full amount. That was about 2 pounds less than the last time I weighed about 3 days ago, and I didn't lose 2 pounds in that time.

For Mick--a follow-up on Runtastic.

My guess is that there are several apps that are pretty much identical. I was tweaking something this morning -- it has a "15 second countdown" that is somewhat annoying to me after I set it, and I always just tap it to get started and I was turning that feature off--and I accidentally ran across a comparison of Runtastic v Runtastic Pro (which is $4.99).

The things that I use/value from the "Pro upgrade" that the regular doesn't have:

1. no advertisements
    2. voice feedback (I have it set for every mile to tell me what is going on; I'm changing that to every 0.5 mile, or every 5 minutes to get a little more feedback--I don't run that far)
    3. backup syncs to the cloud. I don't know how big a deal it is, but the data is backed up so your history is saved in case you have a device malfunction (or change phones, as I did this week).
    4. tracks elevation. When my time is REALLLY slow (it's always slow, but even worse), I like to look at the elevation changes. My neighborhood has some big hills. Shoot, for a cyclist like you, it might even be more advantageous, since you'll travel even farther than I will, and take even more routes.

That's really all. I tried the "auto-pause," but at least with my old phone (which I'm learning was responsible for some of my apps not working perfectly), it would sometimes think this old man's slow jog was a "pause," probably because the GPS was lost, and it would "auto-pause." I'd have to click on it to restart it, which was annoying, so I took it off. Although I'm slow, I don't stop, so I don't need that "Pro" feature.

I have not tried the Pro Voice Coaching feature. I may try it some day, but really, listening to music gently, seeing the sights, and the feedback on my distance/pace/average speed is enough for me.

I THINK every other feature is the same, mostly, in the free v Pro versions. I like the summary at the end that shows distance, average/maximum speed, breakdown by mile or 1/2 mile or whatever of speed, calories burned (which I don't think is accurate, but I look at it anyway), hydration, temperature and conditions, etc. Oh--I LOVE the tracking of shoes. I have two pair of "running" shoes--one really stays in my gym bag mostly for gym and doesn't get used as much, but if I'm running back to back days, I try to swap them out, or if one gets wet, etc. like they did yesterday when I ran. Anyway, you can plug in how many miles you want to replace them at, and it automatically keeps track of the mileage. You can swap it out if you forget until it is over when you're reviewing the map of your run, and it fixes it. Probably most normal people would know when to change shoes anyway, but it's a safeguard for me. Of course, the short distances I run, it'll take a long time anyway.

Anyway, when I finish, I always hit the "share" icon, and sent a text message to my wife and son. I tell my son it's my way of holding myself accountable--they see my run, see how slow it was or if I didn't go far--but I also like to do it to sort of let my wife know I'm ok, especially on a hot day. I'm not going to risk it, but it's just a good way of saying everything is ok without saying anything.

Here's an article from PC Mag on it that I think is very fair. I have used a bunch of tracker/GPS type things, and I find Runtastic very accurate on the distance. I wear a cheap fitness band on my wrist (mainly for notifications) and it is horrible, sometimes too high, sometimes too low, rarely on the money. I've measured a bunch of times with Runtastic, and it's always very, very close to whatever the known distance is.

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2424771,00.asp (android -- I hear the iPhone one is better?)

4 days in a row of running. Started slow this month, but catching up.

Hanging at 223.

I'm not ready to weigh again, as my preliminary stepping on scales seems to indicate I've gained a little weight back, notwithstanding the running. Amazing how eating poorly defeats that.

I took off and rested from running yesterday after four days in a row.

221.7, see the ice cream thread.

Weighed tonight, not going to post it because I always post morning weight only. Shows I've gained weight.

I have run 3-4+ miles in 90° weather in 5 of the last 6 days including today, have had no desserts, and gained weight. I have had salty snacks in the evenings most nights and that's the worst I've done.

Will weigh in the morning and confirm the bad news.

Not sure if I recorded it and posted it or not, but briefly dipped under 215 towards the end of last week. Have gained that back.

Fab Five

I am going to attempt an 8 mile ride tonight and if it goes well I will go up to Anniston tomorrow for a longer ride on the Chief Lidiga Trail. I crashed two weeks ago and haven’t ridden since. But the bruised ribs are much better and I’ll see if my upper body can handle the discomfort.
    Real Fan since 1958

I am going to attempt an 8 mile ride tonight and if it goes well I will go up to Anniston tomorrow for a longer ride on the Chief Lidiga Trail. I crashed two weeks ago and haven’t ridden since. But the bruised ribs are much better and I’ll see if my upper body can handle the discomfort.
    How's the bike?

(Old joke in my family. I was with my daughter in Atlanta at a volleyball tournament. We had just bought a new camera. Somehow in the parking lot, I tripped, and did one of those stumbling, long, drawn-out falls, and somehow I managed to keep the camera up from hitting the ground. My wife called later, and when my daughter was describing the fall to her, my wife asked, "is the camera ok?"

Yes, dear. Your husband is just fine.)

Be careful. Don't push it.