Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Darrell, just saw this thread. Who was surgeon? I had great success with Brookwood with my hand surgery a number of years ago. Shattered my wrist. 7 fractures. 5 pins. They did a terrific job. Good luck to you!
    Thanks, Mick. Man, you were messed up. Glad that went well.

Dr. Bonatz did my surgery. So far, so good. Here's the result of his good work on my thumb.

That's my left hand sort of flipped over. Screenshot_20190623-102917__01.jpg

Fab Five

Re: 2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

I get chills just looking at a hand xray.
    Real Fan since 1958

I get chills just looking at a hand xray.
    And I didn't even show the "before." I can only imagine your wrist.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    And I didn't even show the "before." I can only imagine your wrist.
    I don’t need to see it. Hope yoy have the successful rehab I had. Good Luck!
    Real Fan since 1958

3.02, Glacier speed, good amount of walking, 90°. Did not get my heart rate up too high at all today. Too old to risk anything.

220.0 this morning.. it's funny, I went back and looked on the app I've been using, renpho Bluetooth scales oh, for the past couple of years and my weight has been pretty consistent with respect to when it goes up and when it goes down. Apparently I have to watch the times of the year a little more carefully.

2 miles 25 minutes... on the torture machine. Heart rate in the mid 140’s for 20 minutes with a peak of 147.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blueboss; 06-23-2019 at 05:45 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Been good about running this week. Have run four times, 3+ miles each time, and will go before church today.weight isn't dropping like I want, but it's classic, if you want to get healthy, go to the gym, if you want to lose weight, get out of the kitchen.

5 days in a row of running 3+ miles. Little cooler today, but got a little worried having to go around puddles and such.

Here's part of the track today. IMG_20190630_130521.jpg

After slacking the 3rd and 4th with holiday commitments ((good excuse), I managed 3.3 mi in :40. Bricked walled at :35, pushed it for :05 more. Average heart rate 145 bpm, max 165 bpm.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

224.4 this morning. Had three family birthdays and Father's Day, and a ton of bad eating. Exercise has been good after my thumb surgery, but simply cannot eat like this.

By the way, I'm using MyFitnessPal app again today starting for the first time in a few years. I don't like logging it, but it seems that I do a lot better when I force myself to think about what I'm eating because I'm logging it.

Anyone do any biking? Have decided to get me a bike and wanted some ideas?

I have a bike and thought about riding, but I swear I think it is more dangerous than running and I'm not ready to do that yet. Got my three miles in today, a little bit of a cool break at 85 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, I think Mick an avid biker.

222.0 this morning, so there has been a little bit of progress. Obviously, there is a little bit of variance depending on what I ate the night before as well. So I don't really think I've lost two pounds, but maybe a little bit.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    I bike quite a bit. First you need to identify where you wish to ride. Louisville has some great places to ride. The Waterfront area/River Road area is a favorite as are the trails in Eastern JeffCo. I also like some of the downtown city streets for riding at off peak times. For any of that type riding you need a road bike or an urban/hybrid. I stopped riding my road bike after I had a stroke and bought a hybrid which has wider tires and deeper tread. It.is grat for just about any surface, i.e. pavement, crushed stone or dirt. It also has a bit smaller frame. Mine is a Cannondale Quick CX. I get a lot of favorAble feedback from folks I ride with regularly. I am not up to date on Mountain bikes as I have not been in that bike buying scene for 15 years. But, the first step is determining where you wish to ride.

Do an internet search for bike groups and rides in your area to see where people are riding. You will pick up some good ideas. I am more into social, no drop rides with groups here in the Ham. We have a great time. In the words of a famous gym, it is a judgement free zone. Rides are generally 15 to 30 miles. Ours generally return to the start after 15 miles for those that want a shorter ride.

My best advice is to find a good bike shop. I use Pedal Power in Lexington and Cahaba Cycles in Birmingham. I am sure you can find a good one in Louisville. But, visit the shop and try out three or four bikes and see what fits you and your needs best. The folks in the shop will be excellent at exploring what works for you.

Sunday I rode about 12 miles in downtown with my daughter and SIL visiting four breweries and a pizza joint. It was a great time. What a great way to stay fit! �� i believe we were about 500 calories negative on the afternoon.
    Real Fan since 1958

Fab Five

I have a bike and thought about riding, but I swear I think it is more dangerous than running and I'm not ready to do that yet. Got my three miles in today, a little bit of a cool break at 85 degrees.

You may wish to try one of the greenways or trails in Birmiingham. lakeshore is nice but somewhat crowded at peak hours. Shady and flat. Also any of the Jones Valley trails are nice. Riding with groups and/or on trails is generally a safe experience. I do not recommend 280 or Valleydale.

I would also add, that while you will work up a sweat in our climate, unlike jogging you get a cooling breeze.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 07-09-2019 at 11:51 AM.
    Real Fan since 1958

Mick thanks you are always so helpful and provide great advise, really appreciate that!

Breeze would have been nice today. Went 3.03 miles in 97° temperature. My car thermometer said 103 as I drove up.

Chose a place to run today that had more shade and also involved me not being farther than a half mile from my car at any particular time. I wanted the ability to just walk back to my car if I needed to.

I know you know but have to be careful in those types of heat, plenty of fluids.

No question about it.

Fab Five

I did 12 miles on the bike this afternoon. I can assure you I have never ridden on a more hot humid day. Hell, I had to stop for beer and water halfway through.
    Real Fan since 1958

I did 12 miles on the bike this afternoon. I can assure you I have never ridden on a more hot humid day. Hell, I had to stop for beer and water halfway through.
    Me, too!

OK, I didn't. But could've. Heardmont wasn't too bad at 5.

My activity's good but my weight's not. I need to get back to weighing regularly and using My Fitness Pal to log everything I eat. If I know I have to account for what I'm putting in my mouth I do better.

Jared Lorenzen is a wake-up call of sorts for me. I'm not in his neighborhood by any means but it's a cautionary tale of what can happen if you keep drifting and remaining in bad habits.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    My activity's good but my weight's not. I need to get back to weighing regularly and using My Fitness Pal to log everything I eat. If I know I have to account for what I'm putting in my mouth I do better.

Jared Lorenzen is a wake-up call of sorts for me. I'm not in his neighborhood by any means but it's a cautionary tale of what can happen if you keep drifting and remaining in bad habits.
    I'm at Day 6 of "re-" using My Fitness Pal, logging everything I eat. I use Runtastic Pro as my fitness app for "running" (slow-old-man-jogging-and-resting), and it automatically syncs up with My Fitness Pal, which is a pretty cool thing, too.

6 days in a row of 3 miles, and devoted food logging into MyFitnessPal have dropped me to 218.0 this morning.

Fab Five

Impressive!
    6 days in a row of 3 miles, and devoted food logging into MyFitnessPal have dropped me to 218.0 this morning.
    Real Fan since 1958

I’m maintaining 213-215 doing 3-3.5 mi five days a week. I can’t bring myself to drop the sweets yet. Stop the sweets and the I’ll start dropping lbs. Ahhhh! My ole friend complacency, is here.

My friends up north have the heat wave, but it's a bit cooler this afternoon here. Went 4.62 miles through Veteran's Park, Spain Park baseball fields, football field, by the soccer field, through the 5k track woods, and down by Jeff State. Mid-80's, and pace slow, with not too many hills. Good run for me.