Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

It is a new year, and might as well start a brand new thread for renewed commitment to some health goals. Plus I had a pretty good weekend, so I at least have some positive things to post for myself, if I am being totally honest.

I started the new year being a slug and very inactive. But Saturday I played 9 holes of golf, and walked, which included helping my daughter as well. Even though it was only 9 holes, I ended up walking over 6 miles including some minor extra walking during the day. Most of it was playing golf, however.

Yesterday I played basketball for 2 hours, full court, and pick up another five miles. I wear my Fitbit when I play on the inside of my shorts and it works fine. Last night before my gym closed, my son asked me to take him there, so I ran another mile and a half on top of that.

Now, that doesn't make up for the less than 3000 step days I had most of the days leading up to that, but I thought I would lead with some positive information. That began the year at 233, and would like to finish 2016 no heavier than 200. A couple of years ago I got down to under 200 briefly, and then almost immediately started gradually gaining it back.

My key to the weight loss is both exercise and diet, neither of which I have been committed to as I should. It is very easy for me to exercise if I am playing a game, so my challenge will either be to finding a game to do regularly, or finding a way around that in order to get the necessary steps, walking, and basic exercise in.

Re: 2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Full disclosure, to show you how sedentary I am, unless I try.

1/1 - 950 steps (I didn't wear it the whole day, but I didn't go anywhere, and didn't do much anyway. Bad example, maybe, but well under 3,000 steps, probably closer to 1500-1800).

1/2 - 1943 steps. See?

Saturday 1/3 - 5,665

Sunday 1/4 - 4,405

1/5 - 5,832

1/6 -3,056

1/7 - 3,282

1/8 - 2,240

Had 26,000 steps Saturday & Sunday. That's more than I had combined the first 8 days. That's bad.

Well, it's "work out or die" for me. Mon-Wed-Fri I walk/jog a 5k in about 40-45 minutes. and do another 40 minutes of weights aerobically. The other days are my challenge. I havent lost an ounce since the heart attack.

Fitbit is screaming about my sleep so I'm gonna do a sleep study.

I'll have to check my weekly FitBit update, but I think I'm averaging about 7000-8000 steps/day without exercise.

I got down to 214 last spring and have gained 10 lbs back since May.

I'm currently around 235, and have been procrastinating starting up my exercise regiment.

I'd like to drop 20-25 LB's by May, and then try to keep it off through next fall at least until the start of eating season at the end of October.

Once I start exercising I'll average over 10k steps/day, then about mid February I'll start dieting(lent)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Well, it's "work out or die" for me. Mon-Wed-Fri I walk/jog a 5k in about 40-45 minutes. and do another 40 minutes of weights aerobically. The other days are my challenge. I havent lost an ounce since the heart attack.

Fitbit is screaming about my sleep so I'm gonna do a sleep study.
    Hey, you can be our leader. Certainly want you to comply with everything the doctor say.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    I'll have to check my weekly FitBit update, but I think I'm averaging about 7000-8000 steps/day without exercise.

I got down to 214 last spring and have gained 10 lbs back since May.

I'm currently around 235, and have been procrastinating starting up my exercise regiment.

I'd like to drop 20-25 LB's by May, and then try to keep it off through next fall at least until the start of eating season at the end of October.

Once I start exercising I'll average over 10k steps/day, then about mid February I'll start dieting(lent)

You and I can be good role models for each other. I'm trying to track down some old fogies like me who may want to play basketball in the mornings for an hour or so. I would gladly get up early to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    You and I can be good role models for each other. I'm trying to track down some old fogies like me who may want to play basketball in the mornings for an hour or so. I would gladly get up early to do that.
    I thought about morning exercise but I have yet to find the early discipline to get up an hour earlier.

I'll eventually build up to :40 five days a week on an elliptical/ Gazelle. It'll take me a couple of weeks to get in shape to go that long so I don't give myself a heart attack.

Anyway I just checked my FitBit and I'm at 9202 steps on the day, and I'm getting ready to settle in for some football.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I haven't even checked, but despite this being one of my more "active" days at work--i.e., went to the office, to school to teach, to school to teach again--I suspect I'm around 4,000 steps, maximum. I just get little-to-no steps in unless I "do" something.

I'm not a fan of getting up at 5 a.m. when my normal work day begins about 8:30, but I am a fan of playing basketball and finding some exercise. The only basketball I know of that occurs at lunchtime is the downtown YMCA, where I used to play, but that's horribly inconvenient to where I work now (and I am no longer a member). But if I could find that opportunity, I'd rather do that. I can generally take a 2-hour lunch most days, and would if that were a possibility.
    I thought about morning exercise but I have yet to find the early discipline to get up an hour earlier.

I'll eventually build up to :40 five days a week on an elliptical/ Gazelle. It'll take me a couple of weeks to get in shape to go that long so I don't give myself a heart attack.

Anyway I just checked my FitBit and I'm at 9202 steps on the day, and I'm getting ready to settle in for some football.

Rupp's Runt

I get plenty of steps at work. 5,000 on a bad day, normally 8000-10000. I need to get better at doing more than that and weigh under 180.

I'm currently at 3,450. And that's a more than normal day. Too cold for me to do garage treadmill work after the game, and don't want to go to the gym tonight. I will use this as an off day. May walk around the house a little before bed.

Just shy of 8k today, I had a lot of screen time today so I didn't move as much today. Might be more of the same, be got two reports to knock out.

Just shy of 8k today, I had a lot of screen time today so I didn't move as much.Might be more of the same tomorrow I've got two reports to knock out.

3634 and 3413 the last two days.

The lack of activity adds up.

13-day weigh in, and the good news is, have dropped from 233.0 to 231.0. Almost all from eating a lot better, because exercise has been non-existent. Heck, could just be the difference in not eating salty food last night. But at least it didn't go up.

Still 235, I haven't changed anything yet. Still no exercise, and still no dieting. Right at 8k steps again today.

I should've gone to exercise this morning. Had a couple of things to do, then at 2 pm had something that tied me up til 11 p.m. tonight.

So....I'm sitting at 2,913 steps today.

This is my life without an exercise agenda. Oh--and I'm eating taquitos and drinking an adult beverage. So much for diet, too.

I'm down about 6 lbs in the last 3 weeks, just eating low carb trying to lose some belly fat for this trip im going on tomorrow. I plan on gaining it back in about the first 30 minutes. I snuck below 190 for the first time in a long while, my ideal weight is 180 if im exercising and eating well but I haven't been there in years. I'm gonna go gain some back this week but figured I could use this thread as a good way to track it. So I just weighed, im 190 today, i'd like to get it to 180 by may 1st.
    Go Cats!

Rupp's Runt

Worked out 2 nights in a row!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Worked out 2 nights in a row!!!
    Way to go!

I worked out this afternoon. One in a row. Also one this week. But gotta start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
    I'm down about 6 lbs in the last 3 weeks, just eating low carb trying to lose some belly fat for this trip im going on tomorrow. I plan on gaining it back in about the first 30 minutes. I snuck below 190 for the first time in a long while, my ideal weight is 180 if im exercising and eating well but I haven't been there in years. I'm gonna go gain some back this week but figured I could use this thread as a good way to track it. So I just weighed, im 190 today, i'd like to get it to 180 by may 1st.
    10 pounds? Man, I use 10 pound increments as small stepping stones to what I want to lose .

Why dont we all connect Fitbit's?? I took a walk today, ending the day with 8500 steps. This was my view of our current Northern California winter ....Attachment 5257
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

At one time, we had a KSR member Fitbit group. Let's see if we can resurrect it, great idea.

What a great picture, and terrific view!

Quote Originally Posted by CGWildcat View Post
    Why dont we all connect Fitbit's?? I took a walk today, ending the day with 8500 steps. This was my view of our current Northern California winter ....Attachment 5257

My workout yesterday consisted of running on a treadmill (old man running--slow jog for 2 minutes, brisk walk for 1) for 45 minutes. Got 3.5 miles in. Despite getting 3.5 miles in at the gym, my fitbit steps were still under 10,000 for the day (9411). I can be super-sedentary in my work.

Quote Originally Posted by CGWildcat View Post
    I just checked, and there is a "Kentucky Fans (and Kentucky Sports Report Peeps)" Fitbit Group. It actually has 44 members in it.

Come join! There's one psycho dude that must run every day many miles or something, but there are a lot of "normal" people, too.

The sad thing is--I apparently started that 79 weeks ago, and there is an "introduce yourself" bio part where I did it. At that time, I weighed 216.2 pounds. Dang...gotta get back.

Here's the group link:

Kentucky Sports fans and Kentucky Sports Report Peeps Fitbit Group

If you guys want a WildcatChat member only group, we could start that one and be a little cozier. I think we opened the other one up for folks on twitter, so it got a little more variety.

I'm in

Let's start a WildcatChat one. I'll get it started later today and post the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Let's start a WildcatChat one. I'll get it started later today and post the link.
    sounds good!
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

I had quite a bit going on yesterday, I was down on the floor moving around a lot. Ended up with just over 11,000 steps.

Today I haven't done anything but throw stuff at my TV ( I'm sure you can guess why), anyway I won't break 5k today.

I'm going to try to start getting back in cardio shape tomorrow....3 minutes on the gazelle for three days then dbl it for three days...

Rupp's Runt

No Fitbit here and honestly no desire to have another device. But I'll keep checking in on this thread. Hope to work out again tonight.

I do get points at work if I wear a Fitbit. I just don't want to wear it or keep up with it. I use my phone as idea of my total steps.