Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun wish list? Have anything you're looking at?

Rupp's Runt

Re: Gun wish list? Have anything you're looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Does the Judge handle .410 slugs?
    My understanding is yes.

The hornady triple defense is a slug with two other larger caliber pellets.

pdx1 is 3 disc like bullets. Almost like 3 flat slugs.

Rupp's Runt

The defense options seems to be a better choice than a straight slug.

http://www.winchester.com/Products/N.../pdx1-410.aspx

http://www.hornady.com/store/410-Critical-Defense-Ammo/

The defense loads are a great compromise. either a single slug or shooting 45 colt gives you one round, the self defense loads do spread out some so you get a bit more error in your shooting, and in a situation where you'd be using it that's a good thing.

They aren't a purist weapon, I get that, but I think they can be effective in the role in which they are intended.

Lots of experts don't like j-frames either b/c of the 5 round capacity, I still really like them and they've proven effective for many decades.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

They do take anything in . 410, including slugs. I've read a couple of things on that and one claimed it was probably not a great load, and would tumble soon out of the barrel, another actually tested it out to some distance longer than you'd need and found it accurate. I remember them saying it was was more accurate the 45 colt load when they tested it at the same distance.

I really like the 3 discs that are 9mmish in size surrounded by the 12 bbs to account for variances in my quick self defense shooting. I think it was Winchester PDX-1, although I may have them mixed up. That would be my preferred load. But I can see arguments for a lot of them, including the 00 buckshot load with 4 pellets. Lot of flexibility with that handgun.

Rupp's Runt

I went to a gun show this past weekend @ the Lee County Civic Center just outside of Ft. Myers. Shoot Straight had a sale on Ruger LC9s, $289 + tax. I was so tempted to buy one for my wife, but then, of course, as I was walking out the door to go she just had to be a killjoy and told me to choose being married to her or buying a gun and getting a divorce. The choices I have to make, darn it!
    MOLON LABE!

Rupp's Runt

Not the model I want but this price seems to be about as good as it gets.
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...410ga45LC+2%22

As soon as I can catch the 3" inch chamber and barrel at that price again it is mine.

Rupp's Runt

The 2" inch barrel seems to get a lot of good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    The 2" inch barrel seems to get a lot of good reviews.
    It is more concealable.

Not the model I want but this price seems to be about as good as it gets.
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...410ga45LC+2%22

As soon as I can catch the 3" inch chamber and barrel at that price again it is mine.
    FWIW, I started with the idea that I loved the 3" chamber and barrel, and wouldn't take anything else. After months of looking and thinking about it, and holding a couple, I came to the conclusion that the exact one you just linked was my personal favorite.

Everybody has different tastes. Keith mentioned it being more concealable. That's not a huge issue for me, but a bonus. I liked the lightweight nature of it, and from people I spoke with, it still shot reliably well, despite the 2" barrel, which was a big issue for me.

I bet you'd like it. If I ever pull the trigger, that's the one I'll likely get (although frankly, I like more than one of them, too).

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Darrell, I cleaned my J-frame the other day, and I have mistakenly told you the cylinder is steel. The cylinder is actually an aluminum alloy cylinder. My mistake. Apologies.
    Thanks, suncat. I always enjoy reading what a professional carries.

Rupp's Runt

During the holidays here, and with all of this terrorist nonsense happening, I have taken to carrying both lately. Hopefully not likely that anything happens over this way, but better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    MOLON LABE!

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    FWIW, I started with the idea that I loved the 3" chamber and barrel, and wouldn't take anything else. After months of looking and thinking about it, and holding a couple, I came to the conclusion that the exact one you just linked was my personal favorite.

Everybody has different tastes. Keith mentioned it being more concealable. That's not a huge issue for me, but a bonus. I liked the lightweight nature of it, and from people I spoke with, it still shot reliably well, despite the 2" barrel, which was a big issue for me.

I bet you'd like it. If I ever pull the trigger, that's the one I'll likely get (although frankly, I like more than one of them, too).
    That one has your name on it!

I do not know if you folks will agree with the info provided in this write up about the Judge as there is nothing really scientific about the info, just the thoughts and shooting results from someone that wanted to test the weapon in their own way.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-...e-box-o-truth/
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Another Judge article. Like Darrell, I have been interested in this handgun for quite some time, but have yet to purchase one. I do believe that day is getting closer.

http://www.gundigest.com/firearm-gun...efender-review
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Rupp's Runt

Dan, I glanced at the first article and if IIRC from reading it before, he was not a fan overall. This gun has it fair share of haters and I understand their point. If I completely had my choice it would be a Short Barrel automatic 12 gauge with about 20 rounds for home defense. But as I said originally my wife is "comfortable" with this one.

It will not pack the punch of other guns, but it is better than bringing a knife to a gun fight. I'm comfortable with that.

Dan, I glanced at the first article and if IIRC from reading it before, he was not a fan overall. This gun has it fair share of haters and I understand their point. If I completely had my choice it would be a Short Barrel automatic 12 gauge with about 20 rounds for home defense. But as I said originally my wife is "comfortable" with this one.

It will not pack the punch of other guns, but it is better than bringing a knife to a gun fight. I'm comfortable with that.
    A short barrel automatic shotgun is not going to be in my house, unless I'm suddenly living by myself. So compromises and sacrifices are made, much like in many other areas of a marriage and a family. Plus I wouldn't be taking the short-barrelled shotgun with me in a pinch situation to carry, or my office late at night, etc.

Anyway, there are certainly proponents and opponents. I think if you educate yourself well on what you want, and why you want it, you'll fall naturally to one side or the other.

I appreciate that good price you posted, and as I said, that happens to be the one that really turned out to be my favorite (although I could frankly be swayed into a couple/few others, dependiing). But right now, it's probably my 3rd gun purchase to make behind the other two. I really think I need the .22 rifle (my wife would disagree, but when I give up my single shot 16 gauge shotgun, she'll be ok with it--and I have zero use for the single shot 16 gauge shotgun). And like many others, I'd like to have a handgun with decent stopping power that fits my hand well and also has a larger capacity than the ones I have now. I have a 9mm with an 8-shot magazine, and going to one with a 15-shot standard mag (with options for extended ones) seems like a natural to me, and many people might say I "need" that, too. So a G 19 (my choice, along with ten gazillion other owners, I guess) is also on my "to acquire" list before the Judge.

But make no mistake. The Judge is there. I think that it is a fine weapon for the purposes that have been discussed in here, and I really do have a niche for it in my home.

That first article was when the gun first came out, before the 410 defense loads were introduced. He's right birdshot isn't the load for this gun, and I'd agree none of the regular 410 loads are as good as other options. But the defense loads have proven much more effective.

here's some discussion of those loads. Winchester and Hornady have been busy making better ammo for this gun, and they've succeeded.

http://www.gundigest.com/firearm-gun...wer-of-the-410
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    During the holidays here, and with all of this terrorist nonsense happening, I have taken to carrying both lately. Hopefully not likely that anything happens over this way, but better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    I think I told you before that my father-in-law gave my daughter--who is not comfortable with carrying yet, and maybe never--a S&W 640 stainless .38 special. It is not the one that is made for .357, and it does not state it is for +P, either. And it's pretty heavy.

But it's a good looking handgun. And although my efforts at the practice range have been pretty darn poor with it and it's 1-7/8" barrel, it is an absolute pleasure to carry concealed, very easy, and with two speed clips I feel fine carrying it for close range, and hopefully to scare folks if it's not quite so close that my accuracy suffers, but their's might not lol. It won't replace my favorite carry weapon, but I do like it.

Rupp's Runt

Cannot go wrong with that S&W 640 Darrell. Great. 38 special handgun. When my daughter went to Oklahoma to nursing school I loaned her my Taurus I85 for her protection. She likes the gun, but when she went to practice with it she complained about the weight 1) it is an all steel gun, and 2) she doesn't like the long trigger pull of a revolver. Right after she graduated and came home from school is when I accidentally came across the deal on the LC9. She LOVES this gun! She goes to shoot it about once a month and practices by 'dry fire' with snap caps that I bought for her. As I've stated here before, the trigger pull is so much smoother than any revolver that she has shot, and she loves it. And I am glad.
    It fits in her hand perfectly. It is not a heavy gun. The trigger action is so smooth. It handles ANY ammunition I have given her to shoot in it. And she likes to practice with it. So hopefully she's ahead of the curve for self-protection in the event that she even has to display that handgun, God forbid.
    I guess I sound like a salesman for Ruger, which is a bit strange because until I actually held one of these handguns I had not been a fan of much that is Ruger. But these Ruger LC9s' are nice compact, lightweight, and easy to shoot handguns. In my estimation you can't go wrong with one. JMHO.
    MOLON LABE!

Gun wish list? Have anything you're looking at?

I'm thinking Springfield XD, any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I like the XD, would like to look hard at the smallest one in 45 ACP, you get 7 rounds of good stopping power in a very small package.