Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Cats to face Bruins Thursday in historic Pauley Pavilion

Cats to face Bruins Thursday in historic Pauley Pavilion

By: LARRY VAUGHT

The first time Kentucky coach John Calipari had a team play play at Pauley Pavilion in Los Angeles was when he was coaching at Massachusetts and his team was invited to the Wooden Classic in 1994. Kansas beat UMass and UCLA beat Kentucky in the other game.

“Who doesn’t belong in that bunch?” joked Calipari after Monday’s win over Illinois State.

The Wildcats will play again at UCLA Thursday night, but this time it is just a regular-season game against the Bruins.

Calipari recalled again Monday how legendary UCLA coach John Wooden told him once that he was playing too many players, and Calipari said Wooden was right.

“He said, but I understand why you do it, recruiting and transfers and all the other things you got to do. But understand that the way you’re going to build your best team is play less people,” Calipari recalled.

Calipari hopes he can play point guard Tyler Ulis, who hyperextended his elbow last week and missed Monday’s game. He’s been listed as questionable.

“If Tyler is healthy, yeah. If he’s not healthy, no, it’s bad, bad timing. But we’ll see. He was half coaching on bench (against Illinois State), telling me who to take out,” Calipari said.

The Kentucky coach said playing at UCLA is special.

“It’s unbelievable. UCLA is just, it’s one of those schools that has the opportunity to do everything and basketball and football and every — if I’m not mistaken and somebody can check — but I think they have won more national titles in all sports than any other program. The campus, which is kind of landlocked because it’s in where it is, and in Westwood, but they redid Pauley, I’ve seen it, really nice building,” Calipari said.

“The Hall of Fame there, they have John Wooden’s office, the way it was encased. The history of that program. And I think us, having an opportunity to go there — and we’re going to have a couple days to practice, to see if we get some stuff fixed here — it’s going to be neat. A neat trip.”

Freshman guard Isaiah Briscoe said UCLA’s history was “way too far back” for him to know about the championships the Bruins had won, and that he did not watch last year when UK blitzed UCLA in Chicago.

“Every game is a big deal. They’re a good team from what I hear,” Briscoe said.

Kentucky jumped on UCLA 24-0 last year and cruised to the win over the Bruins, who won a NCAA tourney game in March. He says what Illinois State did to his team means a lot more in Thursday’s game than last year’s contest in Chicago that UK dominated.

“If they watch this game, they’re going to post us up. Tony Parker is, every time they throw it, they’re going to go at our bigs,” Calipari said. “So we better have some ideas what have we’re going to do. (Coach) Steve (Alford) is terrific at what he does. He’s figured it out. I’ve coached against him a couple times.

“Last year was an outlier. I had a ridiculous team. And they would go into a game like that to smoke somebody, like they did Kansas. They would go in with that mentality. This team is, we don’t have that mentality.”

Freshman guard Jamal Murray says that is because the Cats are still trying to figure out how to just play a full 40 minutes.

“We’re just trying to go out there and have passion,” Murray said.

Playing at Pauley Pavilliion could help that.

“I came to play basketball and have a good time, have a good college experience. Going on the road and playing a good team is always going to be fun,” Murray said Monday. “We’ll just hopefully have Tyler back and have a couple practices and be ready for them.”

Junior center Marcus Lee, who had his second double-double of the season Monday, is a California native and is looking forward to playing at UCLA.

“We never go that far. We never go past Texas probably. But I’m really excited to go home. I’ve been waiting for this for three years to go home and have my friends and family come watch, or just to have my team come see where I live and see what’s the difference between Kentucky and California. So I’m really loving going home,” Lee, who lives six hours away, said. California is really big. I’m in northern California and we’re going to southern. So it’s still quite a ways, but it’s still the same state. I’m just glad to be anywhere near home.”

Lee said as soon as UK played UCLA in Chicago last year he was hoping there would be a game in California.

“Once we played them last year, I was like, ‘Oh we have to go there at some point.’ Once we finally put out that I was going home, that was the first thing I put. I tried to figure things out as quick as possible,” he said.

Re: Cats to face Bruins Saturday in historic Pauley Pavilion

The game is Thursday correct.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Yeah, if Larry shows up Saturday, he's going to have a hard time finding the cheerleaders.

Thought so but got confused there.

Thursday, 9 ET.

Still working on getting cheaper tickets in the lower arena of Pauley P. It's going to be an interesting 48 hours as I determine where I will sit, but I cannot WAIT to see our Cats play at UCLA!
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Thought so but got confused there.
    Doesn't the story say Thursday?

I'm confused, too!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

“He said, but I understand why you do it, recruiting and transfers and all the other things you got to do. But understand that the way you’re going to build your best team is play less people,” Calipari recalled.

I have a lot of respect for Wooden, but we're also talking about a guy who ended his career 10 years before there was a shot clock or 3 point shot, teams had 15 scholarships and the game was much more top heavy. Also no real early entry or other options, so kids put up with riding the bench more, esp. if they were getting help to stay happy.

His principles are sound, but probably need more flexibility than Wooden had to have in his day.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Doesn't the story say Thursday?

I'm confused, too!

Title said Saturday. I just edited it.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Re: Cats to face Bruins Thursday in historic Pauley Pavilion

Is it a sale out?

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post

I have a lot of respect for Wooden, but we're also talking about a guy who ended his career 10 years before there was a shot clock or 3 point shot, teams had 15 scholarships and the game was much more top heavy. Also no real early entry or other options, so kids put up with riding the bench more, esp. if they were getting help to stay happy.

His principles are sound, but probably need more flexibility than Wooden had to have in his day.
    The need for more flexibility permeates most aspects of modern college and pro sports compared to "the old days", but it makes one wonder if simplicity in SOME of those realms is, not only a good idea, but necessary to improve one's odds of being HIGHLY successful with his or her program.

I actually think almost everyone reads WAY too much into Coach Calipari's redundant Wooden Slobberfests he can't seem to keep himself from (I hate it when he talks nicey-nice about DIRTY Roy Williams and The Wizard of Gilbertwood, sometimes literally making me cringe, lol, but I digress), which is a common way of talking he gets into about coaches, modern and historic. It's like he's vocally hash-tagging names permanently in his Universe, ever echoing his PR pattern mantra... and it's all on purpose, of course.

It's all about the Calipari/UK PR train that keeps rolling. It's always good for him to bring up famous coaches he connected with, even if it was brief. The repetitive nature of connecting Wooden with his preferred rotation pattern philosophy improves how his style is seen by recruits, the press, the fans too (but it's not as much about "us" as "we" would like to believe).

There has been a LOT of analysis of this over the years, leading to a lot of opinion seen through that hashing out, but for me, personally, little of the criticism of his short rotation preference (at least as a general style, not linking any of this to SPECIFIC one-game scenarios) is so convincing that it's in any way obvious that Coach Cal has been "wrong" on that score. Truthfully, I don't have a super-strong opinion one way or the other because I believe it can change drastically, from year-to-year, as to the relative wisdom of longer or shorter working best... but I am rarely a "this or that" guy when it comes to coaching. I prefer strong individualistic approaches, but with particular regard to not pigeonholing, meaning believing in one's preferences is usually the "right" thing and this may or may not be one of them, but I stand by the trend nonetheless.

I honestly feel it's an overblown and overanalyzed trait of his, this tendency to cut his rotation, etc., as the season progresses. I mean, I have seen a few specific situations that SEEM to give some strong support to him being too conservative with how deep he goes on that bench, but it's rarely compelling enough to eliminate this bottom line fact...

Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Terrence Jones, Darius Miller, Doron Lamb, Marquis Teague... SIX guys who were his greatest team where and when it counts... in March and April... when those shorter rotations are supposed to be the death knell.

Just my personal context preference on this subject, which is worth exactly two cents to practically nobody.

Krank, 2012 was a short rotation, but it's not like he had a choice. That team was great, but it also was nearly historically free of injuries, and they were very good at staying out of foul trouble as well.

I don't think playing 9 guys is inherently way better than playing 6, but neither do I think playing 6 is inherently better than 9. I think it depends on the team and the makeup of the players and the style of play that best suits that group.

So in 2012 while I think it's clear cal pulled up the reigns too quickly, the question is if that short rotation is the way to go with a team like last year or this year, etc.

I just disagree with the idea that there is some overall principle of sound coaching that shorter rotations are in some way inherently better. I think there are definite advantages to them, like players knowing each other and their roles very clearly, but that there are risks and disadvantages and advantages of larger rotations as well, and which one is best isn't an inherent truth but a case by case decision based on each roster.

FWIW cal may believe that as well, but I think he does think shorter is better when it's possible, and I'm not sure that's true.

Title said Saturday. I just edited it.
    Ahhh, thanks.

Krank, 2012 was a short rotation, but it's not like he had a choice. That team was great, but it also was nearly historically free of injuries, and they were very good at staying out of foul trouble as well.

I don't think playing 9 guys is inherently way better than playing 6, but neither do I think playing 6 is inherently better than 9. I think it depends on the team and the makeup of the players and the style of play that best suits that group.

So in 2012 while I think it's clear cal pulled up the reigns too quickly, the question is if that short rotation is the way to go with a team like last year or this year, etc.

I just disagree with the idea that there is some overall principle of sound coaching that shorter rotations are in some way inherently better. I think there are definite advantages to them, like players knowing each other and their roles very clearly, but that there are risks and disadvantages and advantages of larger rotations as well, and which one is best isn't an inherent truth but a case by case decision based on each roster.

FWIW cal may believe that as well, but I think he does think shorter is better when it's possible, and I'm not sure that's true.
    But that's the thing, Citizen...

I mean, what in the hell do we expect out of the guy?

He wins a title with a short rotation and extremely well-coached/well-played team. He makes F4's and wins gobs and gobs of games with a rotation of EIGHT to NINE in other years.

The fact is he HAS challenged his preferred tendency... and that is all it is... a TENDENCY, as opposed to a philosophy... again, it's not about that, though... he's just using it as an excuse to drop Wooden's name while taking the pressure off himself, JUST a little, for how he is analyzed by everyone under the Sun as to who, why, how, when, and where he is going to play EVERY kid on the roster not walking-on... this short rotation preferred tendency is him erring on the safe side in case he feels it is, as you have said and I have agreed, situationally important.

I really believe it's not that big a deal, but I get that some think it is. Man, to me, the thing that keeps coming up in my mind is how much dice he is rolling each year, with a bunch of brand new greenies re-populating Wildcat rosters, year after year, talented as all get out, but that ain't always smooth to the end of the year... maybe it really IS better to err on that side because there CAN be a player or two who does NOT meet up to expectations, who DOES need that next year to mature his game and personality... so be ready by having your main guys hardened to how many minutes they play and how tight a drum they have to be to WIN and KEEP winning... and BIG.

I'm not trying to be a nodding automaton on the Cal Gravy Train here, but dude MIGHT be able to prove that his approach has been mighty successful. Wooden could have never done what he has done. Of that, I am damn near positive... while recognizing that it is JMO.

Play five or six players and eventually that's how many quality players you will have on the roster. Play nine or ten and you'll have nine or ten quality kids.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Rupp's Runt

I have always liked how Pitino did it when he coached Kentucky, especially in the 1996 Championship year. He went deep into the bench in almost every game. But that's just me......if you have the talent, use it. Don't let it sit on the bench & get cold.
    MOLON LABE!

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    By: LARRY VAUGHT

The first time Kentucky coach John Calipari had a team play play at Pauley Pavilion in Los Angeles was when he was coaching at Massachusetts and his team was invited to the Wooden Classic in 1994. Kansas beat UMass and UCLA beat Kentucky in the other game.
    Just for the record, the Wooden Classic in 1994 was held in "The Pond" (aka The Honda Center) in Anaheim. UK has never played in Pauley Pavilion before.

They played another Wooden Classic in the Pond in 2003. UK also played UCLA in 1959 but that was held in the LA Sports Arena. (Pauley was built in 1965).

UK vs. UCLA

Unforgettable

best part about them, but then again they may not like Larry's type, men

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    I have always liked how Pitino did it when he coached Kentucky, especially in the 1996 Championship year. He went deep into the bench in almost every game. But that's just me......if you have the talent, use it. Don't let it sit on the bench & get cold.
    I agree with you suncat, I still wish Cal had played Willis last year in those blowouts to keep him from being nervous this year against big time programs and to give him experience. Nor did I like how he kept shortening the bench as the year went on, we blew out teams by using the whole load, and the biggest game of the year, he didn't use his bench

He loves to coach his players individually during the game. Too much so imho.

Anyway, it's hard work to do that with nine or ten kids, but six and seven is not so daunting.

Heck we all know Cal would run the court with them if he was allowed. He is always a part of the action.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
    Thursday, 9 ET.

Still working on getting cheaper tickets in the lower arena of Pauley P. It's going to be an interesting 48 hours as I determine where I will sit, but I cannot WAIT to see our Cats play at UCLA!
    I see you've already had a chance to speak to Kupchak for me. I think Kobe knew you were coming.

Let me know what else he had to say about getting the Lakers turned around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    I see you've already had a chance to speak to Kupchak for me. I think Kobe knew you were coming.

Let me know what else he had to say about getting the Lakers turned around.
    He said something about sneaking into the Clippers locker room and trading uniforms, hoping nobody would notice.

I know. That was harsh.

Well, I hear that Kobe is retiring next year, so that's the biggest step in turning things around for the Lakers. I might actually be able to watch them play without him.

Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
    He said something about sneaking into the Clippers locker room and trading uniforms, hoping nobody would notice.

I know. That was harsh.
    Good job!! You got it started tonight!!
    Lakers beat the Wizards, sorry JW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire