Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 16 of 150 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Post Wins

Temperature here will drop below freezing tonight. So I got milk and bread out of habit. No precipitation expected, of course.

Son's first soccer match of the spring is tomorrow night. Temperatures will be brutally cold.

Re: Last Post Wins

-I hate winter it is depressing

-my neighbor got caught banging his neighbor and both are getting divorced and moving and I am neither neighbor, nor is my wife.

-Steph curry is really good at basketball

-I'm so bored with my job that I would like to get a second job and see how long it takes them to realize it

-my bulldog just farted and it smells terrible

-it's Chinese New Year and I have a Chinese son to celebrate with, never thought about this day before this year, don't think he cares either

-I may test whether hibernating is possible for humans starting now
    Go Cats!

Last Post Wins

Which is correct "yep" or "yup"?

I like "yeppers" so I always thought "yep" was correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I really like yessiree
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I use "yep" when I want to agree with someone. I use "yup" when I want to "country agree" with someone.

That will make sense to no one but myself.

Or I use "yup" if I am bidding at a storage unit auction.

Last Post Wins

Alrighty then...

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I use "yep" when I want to agree with someone. I use "yup" when I want to "country agree" with someone.

That will make sense to no one but myself.

Or I use "yup" if I am bidding at a storage unit auction.
    This is a somewhat boring aside, but there is a movement in auctions to change the way that is done.

I always heard and used "yep/yup" type calls by the ringman when he got a bid. A ringman school opened that thinks quite a bit of itself and they insist on using "yes" b/c it's a "positive word". The ironic part is that they encourage auctioneers to avoid "S" sounds b/c they aren't crisp.

I do avoid "s" sounds in my numbers and I agree, but then why use it with ringmen? Personally I prefer the more guttural sound of a "yeeeeeep" or similar to a very short, sharp "yes". I like the energy of it more.

Some of it depends on the type of auction. At Christy's they call very slow, methodical, and the ringmen barely make noise or do anything. At a hard core country auction the auctioneer is going nuts and so are the ringmen, working the buyers and talking to them all the time and making lots of noise when they get bids.

I like it somewhere in the middle. I don't want boring but we can't act like we're selling off a wagon either. So I like my guys using "yep/yup" and not "yes". Just not any fun and auctions are supposed to have a fun element too, even if it's expensive stuff.
    Last edited by CitizenBBN; 02-10-2016 at 07:00 PM.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I found that very interesting, CBBN. You don't think of "little" things like consonant sounds, but when it's a pretty consistent usage, that kind of thing makes a ton of sense.

I know the words, the cadence, etc. are all important as well.

I wasn't even thinking about the ringman when I mentioned what I mentioned--it's been too long since I've been to a live auction--but I watch a stupid "Storage Wars" show on my phone occasionally, where one of the guys has a resounding, "Yuuuuuuuuup" as his call. I enjoy the show (and auctions). My wife and I used to go to auctions regularly P.C. (pre-children). 90% of our furnitures was acquired at auctions (and still just as good as when we bought them a quarter-century ago).

Auctions are definitely where to buy furniture. We sell stuff that puts Ikea quality to shame.

The ringman thing with "yes" I find mostly silly. it's that whole "positive thought" thing and I get the psychology but it ignores the energy and rhythm parts of an auction that are a big part of it.

The one I avoid most is the "x" in six. The s and x together kind of make it rough, so I'll use "sic" in the cadence a lot. You have to go back and use the right word but in the chant I change it up.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Last Post Wins

I had no idea there was so much involved with as you stated "cadence", and the slight nuances of "yep" and "yup".

Sounds like I need to start going to some auctions.

If you start going to auctions, make sure to keep your hands in your pockets and do not nod your head
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    If you start going to auctions, make sure to keep your hands in your pockets and do not nod your head
    You jest, but you know my non-statistical market research shows that in fact people are fearful of attending for just that reason, they think they'll mess up and end up buying something unintentionally. Seriously, I get that a LOT when I talk to people who haven't been or are coming for the first time. I think it's the whole auction process bc it's unfamiliar, but I get that more than I ever would have guessed.

I don't know if it's b/c of sitcoms doing that in bits or something else, but it's true. I am trying to communicate to people that it doesn't work like that. FIrst, it's not like we will force you to take the $5,000 painting if you really weren't bidding. But also we know bidding from not bidding and can tell an experienced bidder who is bidding with a wink and a newbie who is bidding with traditional raising of hand or other obvious acknowledgement.

There are times someone makes a move and we aren't sure, and even rarely we'll think someone is bidding and they aren't, but we just back up and start again.

It never occurred to me that was a big hurdle for marketing our business and getting people to participate, but it's actually intimidating to people b/c it's unfamiliar.

I do not go to many auctions, maybe 1 or 2 a year, but if there are items I want to bid on, I always let the auction crew know ahead of time and they will look to me for action, so there has never been any bidding issues for me.
    seeya
    dan

At any reasonably well run auction there will almost never be a person being tagged as a bidder who isn't. The only thing that usually will happen every 1-2 auctions is confusion where two people thought they were in and there was confusion about which one was in. It happens if they are both in line of sight and the one in front doesn't know the auctioneer is looking past them. The other the ringman has one person and the auctioneer has the other and they think they're on the same guy and aren't.

BUt that's where two people want to both bid. Taking someone who isn't trying to bid is very rare and easily corrected.

Its' really fun, but I get where it's intimidating if you don't know the process.

Worst case scenario in an auction is like gambling. You pay for your entertainment. That's even if you overpay for an item. But in gambling you may walk away with nothing on a bad day, and on a bad day in an auction, you'll walk away with things in hand. Winning!

6 days till UK baseball season starts
    seeya
    dan

Celebrated my sixtieth birthday yesterday gang.

Anyone needing advice or the like, I'm now qualified as one of the old geezers on this board I believe.

Burt Reynolds just turned eighty. I've always felt he and I were so much alike.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Last Post Wins

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    6 days till UK baseball season starts
    I am excited again about it. I hope my enthusiasm lasts.

Last Post Wins

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post

Anyone needing advice or the like, I'm now qualified as one of the old geezers on this board I believe.

Happy belated birthday, Mr. Kingcat!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post

Happy Birthday, Kingcat and here's to many more here on Earth!
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

I just did a factory reset on my phone. I feel sick.

Oh, that doesn't sound fun at all.

I'm not going to tell you how many programs I had on it. I thought I "backed them up," but I'm apparently not well versed in that action.

! $#!%#!/^&/#

Oh my goodness. Just to ahead and take it out in the backyard and shoot it.
    seeya
    dan

I just did a factory reset on my phone. I feel sick.
    Well, my old geezer advice would have been to make sure you had your backup, backed up D.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Test

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Bombino

I'm not going to tell you how many programs I had on it. I thought I "backed them up," but I'm apparently not well versed in that action.
    Wow, guess this is a lesser version of the memory upgrade.

I hope you had all of your photos backed up.

Last Post Wins

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    Wow, guess this is a lesser version of the memory upgrade.

I hope you had all of your photos backed up.
    Yeah, I think so.

The issues relate to things like...

- redownloading programs, about 400 of them

- setting up email accounts again, including my various work emails

- doing things like reentering names and passwords for my Xm subscription

- apparently lost things like the mind maps I had created in my Simple mind map pro

- losing other documents and data in other programs like Office

- somehow the programs on the SD card are not working, have changed names, etc. Pretty much useless. I'm at the point where I'm going to backup the photos again and format the sd card, as about 20gb of the card isn't usable now.

- having to reset the folders and apps on each screen on the phone. I had things like financial, with bank accounts, bill pay, Mint, etc. In them and now have to fix them again

- having to reset up all the bank accounts, credit cards, etc.

- little things like adding the 5 twitter accounts I have on my Tweetcaster Pro, setting them back up with Buffer for when I post things from here, resetting the preferences do they don't buzz, they don't notify me, etc.

- resetting things like the app that backs up my text messages,and things that download all of my telephone calls to my email so I can keep track of them

- redownloading my Droid TV app, resetting my subscription, and redownloading, I guess, the dozens of TV shows I have lost. Probably have to contact the company and find my subscription number to do it.

- and that's just a taste. there are lots more.

Last edited by Darrell KSR; 02-13-2016 at 11:04 PM.

Bombino

Yeah, I think so.

The issues relate to things like...

- redownloading programs, about 400 of them

- setting up email accounts again, including my various work emails

- doing things like reentering names and passwords for my Xm subscription

- apparently lost things like the mind maps I had created in my Simple mind map pro

- losing other documents and data in other programs like Office

- somehow the programs on the SD card are not working, have changed names, etc. Pretty much useless. I'm at the point where I'm going to backup the photos again and format the sd card, as about 20gb of the card isn't usable now.

- having to reset the folders and apps on each screen on the phone. I had things like financial, with bank accounts, bill pay, Mint, etc. In them and now have to fix them again

- having to reset up all the bank accounts, credit cards, etc.

- little things like adding the 5 twitter accounts I have on my Tweetcaster Pro, setting them back up with Buffer for when I post things from here, resetting the preferences do they don't buzz, they don't notify me, etc.

- resetting things like the app that backs up my text messages,and things that download all of my telephone calls to my email so I can keep track of them

- redownloading my Droid TV app, resetting my subscription, and redownloading, I guess, the dozens of TV shows I have lost. Probably have to contact the company and find my subscription number to do it.

- and that's just a taste. there are lots more.

I use Titanium Backup Pro (needs root) for backing up my apps. Then use a file explorer to backup images that I want to save. I do it somewhat regularly (with dropbox and Google Photos providing redundancy for my images). So far it hasn't failed me, knock on wood. I just save the Titanium backups to my computer for storage.