Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 148 of 150 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150 LastLast
Results 4,411 to 4,440 of 4480

Thread: Last Post Wins

Re: Last Post Wins

LimeWire launches the 'next wave' of music

They will have to make a go of it without me inputting any money into their business. I like only human crested music, and don't even listen to synth music when I know it is there.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

On the topic of laptops, is 8GB of RAM and 512 GB of space adequate for a basic system for personal use, mostly Microsoft office type stuff and maybe some photo storage? No serious gaming or video editing or anything like that.

U think it would be fine for my needs, but any thoughts?

It would still depend on the processor. I know just enough to know that question is relevant. I do not have the answers. RAM and storage space alone doesn't answer the questions. You could have a Macbook with 8gb or RAM and do everything you need, or an old HP with 8gb of RAM and be sluggish.

Agree with Darrell (and defer to him, Pedro, Citizen et al.). I think an i5 processor or better with the specs you mention would work fine. I'd want the 512gb to be a SSD, too.

(Do they even sell them without an SSD anymore?)
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

I’m dreaming of 60° and rain on Christmas….not really but that’s the forecast. Santa’s still going to need Rudolph.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    On the topic of laptops, is 8GB of RAM and 512 GB of space adequate for a basic system for personal use, mostly Microsoft office type stuff and maybe some photo storage? No serious gaming or video editing or anything like that.

U think it would be fine for my needs, but any thoughts?
    For Windows 10/11 I would consider 8GB to be somewhat low. Windows is a memory hog, the more the better. I run 16GB on my current box, with a fast i7 processor.

Wouldn't be a deal breaker, but I'm shopping for some new laptops and servers for work this week and I'll spec at least 16GB and probably more since they now have more as an option.

Memory is a huge help with Windows systems. 1A is processor, and then the hard drive, which for anything portable I'd get SSD for certain.

8GB would work for the basics, but with 16GB you can get by with less processor.

Just to give an idea, I'm doing some light work right now, I have Firefox, Excel, my accounting software and VNC remoting into my office running. My memory usage is at 40% as she sits, which means I have 6.4GB used right now, and that's just light work. With just 8GB your memory usage is about peaking out. My Firefox is a bit of a hog, but I use it a lot. It's sitting at about 1.5GB by itself, with the rest made up from the anti-virus and about 30 other windows programs that run continuously.

So I'd go 16 if it were me, then for light work an i5 or better would be fine, with a 512GB SSD.

My new laptop will probably have 64GB (at least 32GB), i9 and a 1TB SSD. But I like to get one that is very strong for the period b/c I'll use it for 10 years or as long as I can keep the OS current. Mine right now is a Dell M6600 which I think came out in 2011, so I'm at 12 or so years. I've replaced the keyboard at least 3 times (I just wear them out), replaced the mouse at least once, and the screen. I've also had to re-paste the CPU/GPU twice on it.

But it's a workstation built machine, so even after 10 years it's faster than a consumer computer selling today. I don't do any hardcore programming these days, and what I do this laptop will compile in a couple of seconds, which is fine.

The only reason I"m having to part with it fwiw is that the drivers for the video cards are no longer being updated, so as the OS gets upgraded I'm running into compatibility issues. If the video drivers were updated I'd keep this box another 5 years.

Just my .02. I'll be curious to get Pedro's thoughts, but my personal emphasis for Windows boxes is heavy on memory. Windows (both consumer OS and server OS) just are happier and have less issues with more memory IMO.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Thanks - I’m looking at w. One had 16 go memory and a regular screen, and the other 8 GB but a touch screen. Both are the same price, have i5 processors and SSD.

I’ve been doubtful that I wanted a touch screen in a laptop and the info about windows hogging memory is very good.

It’s just for basic home use, a lot of Microsoft office stuff and some photo storage, but no video editing, gaming or anything high-end.

It’s a couple hours away, but Merry Christmas all

Mele Kalikimaka!

Last Post Wins

Son and I played golf today. Neither of us played well, but we both had smiles on our faces the whole time.

My son developed a game where the net number of golf balls he found would reduce his score. I think he ended up under par because he found like two dozen golf balls.

If you have ever played Heatherwood in the Birmingham area, it is well known for tight fairways and easy to lose golf balls in the woods, sometimes even with a good shot.

Couple of "players" here let us play through...

Last Post Wins

Gloomy weekend ahead…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

36 and drizzly. My favorite!
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Cold Kentucky rain beats sleet and snow any day in my book.

Last Post Wins

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Cold Kentucky rain beats sleet and snow any day in my book.
    Love the song, hate the weather.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Tom Cruise: UK fan

IMG_7089.jpg

Strange how he mostly still looks like that and hasn’t gotten bald and old like the rest of us.

Last Post Wins

I walked into the living room and my wife was watching TV, screaming,

"Don't go into the church, you idiot!"

I asked her what she was watching.

"Our wedding video," she replied.

(Thx to Ellen Calipari for that one).

Last Post Wins

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I walked into the living room and my wife was watching TV, screaming,

"Don't go into the church, you idiot!"

I asked her what she was watching.

"Our wedding video," she replied.

(Thx to Ellen Calipari for that one).
    Thanks, I needed a laugh.

Last Post Wins

Hate it when power goes out. Got some rain, not too heavy, and some wind gusts of 35-45, and apparently knocked some trees down.

Went down a little after midnight local time.

It's 2am. First estimate received from Alabama Power was that expected back on at 3.

They do a remarkable job and I am thankful for them.

Last Post Wins

3am likely optimistic.

2,476 customers out in my area, now shown as "evaluating," with no time listed to restore.

Last Post Wins

We have power! 2:57 am. Damn, they're good.

Good night!

Last Post Wins

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    We have power! 2:57 am. Damn, they're good.

Good night!
    Now, go set those blinking digitals.

I hate trying to synchronize the stove and the microwave.

I also hate pumping gas. I usually go to Costco because it’s not only Top Tier but cheaper than just about anyone else except for Kroger with their fuel points but I let the wife use those. I don’t know why everyone doesn’t gas up there; what I save on gas in a year would probably pay for three memberships and I only fill up once a week. It’s just a hassle.

Last Post Wins

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    I also hate pumping gas. I usually go to Costco because it’s not only Top Tier but cheaper than just about anyone else except for Kroger with their fuel points but I let the wife use those. I don’t know why everyone doesn’t gas up there; what I save on gas in a year would probably pay for three memberships and I only fill up once a week. It’s just a hassle.
    I use premium gas only for my car. I know, people have said that it isn't absolutely required, even though my particular car doesn't say it's recommended, it SAYS it is REQUIRED.

I save easy $0.40-50 a gallon at Costco on the premium gas. It's a gigantic difference. I don't fill up that often with my car in town, because the two offices I work at are both within 5 miles of my house, but it still more than pays for the membership.

Last Post Wins

Now that the Christmas decorations are down from both inside and outside of the house…. It’s dreary time, cold and dark.

Hey the sun’s out today Boss. Hang in there!

Last Post Wins

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Awful. Just awful.