Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 133 of 150 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,990 of 4478

Thread: Last Post Wins

Last Post Wins

Kind of a nice change to have the heat without the muggy, humidity levels have been pretty low. Now we’re just getting spoiled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: Last Post Wins

I sweated today while mowing and I didn't like it one ******* bit!

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Kind of a nice change to have the heat without the muggy, humidity levels have been pretty low. Now we’re just getting spoiled.

Humdidity is 81% at 6:55 this morning with a 61 degree dew point. I can handle that just fine. 67 degrees with no dew on the grass is perfect mowing weather and grass conditions. Neighbors are not all that happy with me when I fire up the beast and they are still trying to sleep though.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Nice low dew point today but I didn’t think yesterday was so pleasant.

Mowing and trimming complete, and not a drop of sweat to be found.
    seeya
    dan

Last Post Wins

Currently 88 degrees, 32% with a dew point of 54 at my house…

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I mowed for the first time in a long time as I had someone doing it, long story. Took 20 minutes start to finish. I'm thinking of putting in some more landscaping to cut that down.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

20 minutes!?
    Lord, I spend 45 minutes weed eating and maybe cutting around a few things in the "obstacle course" that Grammy has set up for me before firing up the rider for about a 30 minute or so ride...and I live in a subdivision...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Last Post Wins

Here we go, creeping up a bit, 66 degrees, 80% humidity/ 54 dew point.

We’ve got gulf air moving in tomorrow for some garden variety thunder boomies..

Odd weather is moving in from the Atlantic coastal area. History says that when weather fronts move into KY from the East and cross over the mountains, the rainfall amounts that we get will be significant and the event will be long lived. Local weather nerd on TV does not seem to be including that historical info in his forecast. Maybe global warming will cancel out history. Have to wait for the weekend to see if we have a springtime gully washer or not. Been a few years since we have had one.
    seeya
    dan

Looks like the central US front is going to battle it out with the Atlantic front over NC and push that weather to the north and a bit east, so KY will not be involved.
    seeya
    dan

Last Post Wins

We had us an old fashioned toad strangler blow through about a half hour ago. The creek down in lowlands is way out of its banks.

I have not seen rain come down that heavy in a long time…

…oh, now I see we were under a severe thunderstorm warning. Good call.

If you give a presentation but virtually nobody comes, did you really give a presentation?

I’m not a public speaker, but I thought I did well. I just wish people had cared enough to witness it.

Oh well

Last Post Wins

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    If you give a presentation but virtually nobody comes, did you really give a presentation?

I’m not a public speaker, but I thought I did well. I just wish people had cared enough to witness it.

Oh well
    Care to expound?

I have a talk today about 2 local Civil War soldiers but very few people showed up and I’m just a bit disappointed by it. It was a good amount of work for such little attention but life goes on

Last Post Wins

I have a talk today about 2 local Civil War soldiers but very few people showed up and I’m just a bit disappointed by it. It was a good amount of work for such little attention but life goes on
    Head up high, you did your job, and I’m guessing you did it well…

Oh well
    Where do your presentations take place?
    seeya
    dan

This is only the 4th or so I’ve ever tried. It was for a Civil War group in Augusta, Ky
    Last edited by UKFlounder; 05-15-2022 at 11:02 AM.

This is only the 4th or so I’ve ever tried. It was for a Civil War group in Augusta, Ky
    Flounder, this isn't a perfect solution but do you video record your live presentations? I teach a class that used to be hybrid, and when Covid hit, it became online only. I was directed not to make it a synchronous class to allow maximum flexibility for students, which I understood, but also to provide an optional weekly "live" opportunity for the students who wish to take advantage of it.

Except… Almost no one wants to take advantage of that. So I was basically providing a lecture, or review, to no one. I probably did eight of those this past semester where nobody showed up. My solution to the feeling that it was a waste of my time to prepare for that, and to give a lecture where literally no one was attending was to live stream it on my classroom YouTube channel, which automatically provided a recording for students to watch later. And they would watch later, so I felt like at least it wasn't a complete waste of time.

If you recorded your lectures, and perhaps you already have a Civil War YouTube channel dedicated to your expertise, you could upload them or live stream them to that channel and people could watch later. In fact, that could broaden your base by having people who did not want to attend or could not attend "live" but yet could watch the presentation live on that channel.

Just a suggestion to make it a little more worth your while. I have read some of your historical work and I know there is a lot of expertise and a great deal of work involved in it and I feel your pain, even though I have a lot less preparation for mine than you would for yours. A lot less.

Probably a good idea, but I don’t do these often st all. If the group hosting the event wanted to, thst would be great and we did talk about that for them. Maybe they will in the future with other speakers.

A group I’m a bigger part of does record most of our meetings and presentations and it works fine.

Last Post Wins

I have to tell thi story. Years ago, I taught in a paralegal program in a for-profit school that I did not know very well. The classes sometimes were very small. They tried to limit it to more than five but sometimes the program director could override and allow a smaller class.

Anyway, the program director approved a class for me to teach that had only two students. Now, before I complete the story you have to appreciate the program director. Bettye Bromberg Sullivan was an absolute delight, and wonderful for the students. A true southern belle, very refined and just a joy.

One day I was in my classroom waiting for the class to start. I waited five minutes, then 10, and neither student showed up. Trying to use my time wisely, I decided I would pull out a dictaphone and I began dictating some general correspondence I needed to do at work, and randomly walked around the room while I did so.

Bettye apparently saw me from the hallway. She did not make her presence known immediately, but when I turned I saw her and she walked in with a puzzled look. I told her that neither student showed up timely, and I was just dictating some things for work.

She just looked at me and smiled, and with the best Southern drawl you will ever hear said, "Why Darrell, I thought you were so dedicated you were lecturing to an empty room."

You have to say that with a Gone with the Wind Scarlett O'Hara type of accent to really appreciate it. I think about it from time to time and it always makes me smile.

Flounder if it makes you feel better the entire world is just shifting away from "in person" anything, as we all know. that's obvious enough, but how that impacts us still is a transition.

I'm an auctioneer, been in the business since when 90% of this country didn't even know there was an internet, and you had to go through a university or compuserve to get "online". There was email and FTP, oh and usenet (google that for a blast from the past).

The business has evolved from 100% in person auctions with an auctioneer working with a crowd, people coming and spending the day, to the point where even before Covid we had a hard time keeping a good crowd much past 3-4 hours of attention span. When I started you could go 8-9 hours with good stuff but at least 6-7 was normal.

Covid just gave that trend a hard push. People are busy, they now expect to watch their TV on their schedule not when it is broadcast, they order on Amazon and it shows up in 2 days. They don't go "shopping" to walk around for hours looking for an item, and they don't come sit for hours for auctions, classes, lectures, or much of anything else for that matter unless there is food or booze.

We're now 100% online only and I doubt we ever go back, other than for real estate. It's not bad for business, it has been good, but the "in person" part of every business is just disappearing. Retail obviously is in trouble but so is anything that requires people to go and do those things either in person or on a fixed schedule.

I know everyone on here knows that, it's pretty evident, but it's been interesting to watch the trend. It used to be the hallmark of a good auctioneer was the chant, the people skills. Now it's the technical expertise to know your items and the marketing savvy to get the right things in front of the right people. That actually suits me fine, but it's all part of this move to everything pretty much being online.

And I think we lose a tremendous amount in some areas, like class study. I know kids can't be learning like they did sitting in classes, b/c I've seen how lax the online work is now. If you can just sit and google answers and take tests and be done you won't retain a thing.

I have people who really want me to do in person again, but we do better for my sellers without it. That's just the way of the world now, but I don't have to like it. I miss working with people the old school way.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Last Post Wins

Grass is growing so fast you can actually hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Grass is growing so fast you can actually hear it.

Hydroponics or the old fashioned way?

Last Post Wins

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Hydroponics or the old fashioned way?
    What are these growing techniques you reference?

Prank caller!! Prank caller!!! Hang up! Quick!!!!

Most people do not believe me when I tell them this, but since corn is a grass I thought I would mention this. In a month or so from now, a lot of the corn out in the field will be about knee to waist high. If you will pick a time when growing conditions are good, then drive out into the country side and drive past some of those corn fields, roll down your window, turn the sound system off and stop and listen. You will hear the corn growing. The best time to do this is after it turns dark. It makes a popping noise when it grows. This is not a joke like snipe hunting. If you live in an area that this is convenient to do, give it a try. I think you will be surprised.
    seeya
    dan

You sure that doesn't require the help of some corn that has been somewhat more processed? You can hear lots of stuff with that help.

Last Post Wins

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Most people do not believe me when I tell them this, but since corn is a grass I thought I would mention this. In a month or so from now, a lot of the corn out in the field will be about knee to waist high. If you will pick a time when growing conditions are good, then drive out into the country side and drive past some of those corn fields, roll down your window, turn the sound system off and stop and listen. You will hear the corn growing. The best time to do this is after it turns dark. It makes a popping noise when it grows. This is not a joke like snipe hunting. If you live in an area that this is convenient to do, give it a try. I think you will be surprised.
    I have heard that before. What I heard is that it was the sound of something breaking in the corn to help it grow. It is sort of like if you are weight training and lifting weights. Your muscles have small micro tears, and then rebuild and get bigger and stronger. I'm probably forgetting some parts of this and getting other parts wrong but it was something like that. Fascinating, but like a lot of things, I read it quickly and probably forgot 80% of it.

seeya
    dan

Last Post Wins

Reminds of the crackling sound when I queue up the vinyl album of Dark Side of The Moon.