Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Book-reading suggestions and discussion

Book-reading suggestions and discussion

Some of you guys have recommended books to others, and I have rarely joined in, as I'm not as big of a reader as many of you are. But I thought I'd start another thread on it, because I'm reading a book that I think many may enjoy.

It's "Burn Your Goals," a book written by a guy that has been a sports psychologist and had some interesting life experiences. It has a faith-based background in it, but it won't overwhelm you if you don't care for that.

The gist of the book--and this is unfair to summarize it in these few words--is that we need to let go of goals in our life, in our business, in our sports world, and to focus on our mission. The process. The "controllables."

We cannot control the outcome of many things, we can only control the process and how we prepare and approach it. The successes and wins will be obtained, but we can't define ourselves with respect to the outcomes, but only by the process.

It has a lot of special significance to me for many reasons, but I enjoyed reading the soccer stories, the John Wooden references, and his coaching of a woman's golfer, particularly. I've only read about 20% of the book so far, but it has really been enjoyable.

Hardback, $35, paperback, $25, Kindle - $1.99. On Amazon. Yay, Kindle!

Re: Book-reading suggestions and discussion

I just started what I assume will be the last Vince Flynn book (since he is now deceased and this one was complete posthumously). I loved the series (Mitch Rapp). I also believe there is a 4th book in the Will Robie series coming out soon. This is a great group by David Baldacci. I also believe Lee Childs has one coming out soon (Jack Reacher series). Those are going to be my "go to" guys.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I just started what I assume will be the last Vince Flynn book (since he is now deceased and this one was complete posthumously). I loved the series (Mitch Rapp). I also believe there is a 4th book in the Will Robie series coming out soon. This is a great group by David Baldacci. I also believe Lee Childs has one coming out soon (Jack Reacher series). Those are going to be my "go to" guys.
    Doc, I hate the Baldacci books, I lose too much sleep because I can't put them down . I think I gave read all of his.

I am currently reading Brian Kilmeades blood about the 6 spies for a George Washington. I have enjoyed if so far and it's time for bed and about two chapters

Bombino
    I'm an enormous Stephen King fan. When he's on top of his game, there are few better. It took him a while after getting sober before he found his groove again but his recent stuff has been at least enjoyable.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

The most recent book I've finished was "I Must Say," Martin Short's memoir. An easy read, very funny and bittersweet. I read it, but I heard it's even better on audiobook because he narrates it.

Best book I've read this year was "All The Light We Cannot See," a novel set in WWII (but not strictly historical fiction). It's about so many things, basically our ability to display courage and humanity in the midst of unspeakable tragedy. It won the 2014 Pulitzer Prize and is just so beautifully written.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 11-11-2015 at 09:01 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Rupp's Runt

I'm always interested in a good leadership book suggestion. Other than John Maxwell and Andy Stanley, I've read a lot of their stuff. Other than that, I don't really read.

Nice suggestions, guys. Appreciate the contributions. I intend to begin reading more, and will certainly look up some of these.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    I'm always interested in a good leadership book suggestion. Other than John Maxwell and Andy Stanley, I've read a lot of their stuff. Other than that, I don't really read.
    I am not sure if this fits perfectly within your parameters, but the Burn Your Goals book specifically deals with coaching athletes and others. I view it in a leadership book genre. I also see it as a personal improvement book as well.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Anyone got one on how to deal with insane women? Seem to have a number of them crossing my path of late, would love some solutions, or even some wild guesses.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Anyone got one on how to deal with insane women? Seem to have a number of them crossing my path of late, would love some solutions, or even some wild guesses.
    I would think I could help you since 99.9% of my customers are women and 50% fit your description but I haven't figured how t o deal with them yet