Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: What's going on at Missouri??

OT: What's going on at Missouri??

Nm
    Last edited by UKRxman93; 11-08-2015 at 02:38 PM.

Re: OT: What's going on at Missouri??

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Good grief.

Wow.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Rupp's Runt

Pinkel is pandering to this bunch. The school president isn't doing his job in dealing with this, and then you have Missouri's idiot in the governor's mansion chiming in too.
    This situation is about to explode, and when it does, it will not be pretty.
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Pinkel is pandering to this bunch. The school president isn't doing his job in dealing with this, and then you have Missouri's idiot in the governor's mansion chiming in too.
    This situation is about to explode, and when it does, it will not be pretty.
    That was my first impression as well, but was not sure about all the facts. I would like to know more before commenting further.

Unforgettable

Just based on what I read there, pinker is allowing his players to go about things in a very wrong manner. He is teaching them that demand, work stoppage, threats, my way or the hwy attitudes are more important than communication or working thru possible problems.

As long as the school or coach gives in to these demands, they won't stop because there always will be something else down the road

There's a long AP article up today on Yahoo that I can't copy and paste, but the last paragraph caught my attention:

"The racial issues are just the latest controversy at the university in recent months, following the suspension of graduate students' health care subsidies and the end to the university contract with a Planned Parenthood clinic that performs abortions."

Super Kitten

When I first heard about this I wasn't sure this type of protest was warranted in this case. Then after read quite a bit about the situation at Missouri, I think things there are pretty tense and there is something going on that is being made worse by a complete lack of leadership. After all of that, I am still not sure in this case this type of protest is warranted, as I am not around Mizzou.

That said I will say that civil disobedience has done a lot of good for this country in its history, so if they feel the situation warrants civil disobedience to affect change, then that is their choice.
    Its FOOTBALL time in the Bluegrass...and some basketball talk!!!!

Super Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by ajp40505 View Post
    There's a long AP article up today on Yahoo that I can't copy and paste, but the last paragraph caught my attention:

"The racial issues are just the latest controversy at the university in recent months, following the suspension of graduate students' health care subsidies and the end to the university contract with a Planned Parenthood clinic that performs abortions."

Add to that the student bar association of the law school was allowed by the administration to adopt at a glance an unconstitutional social media policy that is so broadly written that if you use social media to criticize the social media policy then you can get in trouble. Heck from looking at it if you are a law student and criticized the football team's play you could get in trouble under the policy.

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by ajp40505 View Post

I have no problem ending Planned Parenthood contract, put the money in clinics that are truly concerned about health and not just doing abortions and making a small fortune off tax dollars. A University should not be contracted to a company such as that.

Super Kitten

And the civil disobedience worked:

President of Missouri just resigned.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/university-...ry?id=35076098

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by MTcatfan View Post
    And the civil disobedience worked:

President of Missouri just resigned.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/university-...ry?id=35076098
    It didn't work, what happened us he gave in and so will the next person"they" decide isn't giving them what they want.

From what I have read he apologized and formed a committe and met and changes were to take place

What "they" want is total control. They want more diversity on campus, what are they going to do force more blacks to come to Mizzou? They want quotas for the faculty, not the best but quotas. Do you really think any University president can stop every single ignorant individual from saying or writing something stupid?

"they" need to look in the stands to see if was supporting them , who paid in the money to have a program and give them a chance at a free education.

As long as we continue to give in to any group, we will continue to go downhill. "They" dint want to work things out, they only to get their way.

If I was a season ticket holder, I wouldn't ever give another penny to thst program.

Much lime baseball and all their talk about they must have more blacks in the league and diversify, have they looked at the makeup of their teams? They are diversified, Latin Americans are a huge chunk. How about we have the best regardless of their skin color

Super Kitten

We will just have to agree to disagree. They felt the need to use civil disobedience to bring about change, and they got their way. As I said earlier I am not sure about this case because I am not on the ground at Missouri, but I know there has been a lot of good changes in our countries history brought about by civil disobedience so only time will tell if this happens to be one of those times.
    Last edited by MTcatfan; 11-09-2015 at 11:39 AM.

The university president was vulnerable because he was a tough minded bachelor's degree only business type and not a phd from the ivory tower of academe. He was a middle aged white male against whom anything can be said without anyone defending unless you're corrupt Harry Reid or creepy uncle Joe Biden. Felt less like civil disobedience and more like a lynch mob. Who stood up for Wolfe's rights or the rule of law? And, like the newspapers of old, the unaccountable press was complicit in firing up the mob. Evidently the gutless regents, with football dollars on the line, chose money over principle, and that had been communicated before the meeting. Then the regents had a secret meeting excluding the public from holding them accountable.

Without digging through a bunch of articles, if you've already done so, can somebody tell me what the President did that was wrong?

Was his resignation demanded because of something he did, or something he failed to do? Was it that bad things were happening, so the captain of the ship must go down?

My attention span is about 10 seconds these days, so if it's longer than a paragraph, I'll probably miss it .

going to move this to the Barber shop as I think we're evolving past the pure sports aspect, and rightfully so since it seems that Mizzou has issues right now beyond the football team.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Good move, CBBN. I'm still interested; I'll follow there .

BTW, civil disobedience on the part of starving students and walking out professors and recalcitrant football players would involve consequences: protestors jailed, professors docked or fired, football players losing scholarships. Gandhi was in jail prior to his hunger strike, protestors chaining themselves to trees or bulldozers or burning draft cards get jail.

This wasn't civil disobedience.

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    The university president was vulnerable because he was a tough minded bachelor's degree only business type and not a phd from the ivory tower of academe. He was a middle aged white male against whom anything can be said without anyone defending unless you're corrupt Harry Reid or creepy uncle Joe Biden. Felt less like civil disobedience and more like a lynch mob. Who stood up for Wolfe's rights or the rule of law? And, like the newspapers of old, the unaccountable press was complicit in firing up the mob. Evidently the gutless regents, with football dollars on the line, chose money over principle, and that had been communicated before the meeting. Then the regents had a secret meeting excluding the public from holding them accountable.
    This

Read today that the 'protesters' surrounded his car recently and demanded he get out which of course he didn't and they didn't like. Well, I would not have gotten out either with a mob surrounding my car.

I have read he met with them in recent months, apologized, and formed a committee that was putting in new reforms. What more did they want? Other than his head.

So he quit. Can't blame him why put up with it. I would have fired the football coach immediately, the president didn't do anything wrong other than try to work thru a problem which the protesters didn't want nor did the coach. But by giving in, they now have the University by the balls and can and will demand whatever they want in the future and they will get it.

Its much like the Miss State Flag, Ole Miss removed it last week because their liberal student government demanded it and their liberal acting president agreed. Not a student vote, just the student government. Bet if you asked every person on that campus to describe the state flag, less than 20% could have told you what it looked like. It sure hasn't stopped their football team, basketball team or ladies basketball team from being almost all black. The voters in this state voted several years ago 80% to keep the flag as it is. Ole Miss is a government institution, they get their money from the government. Instead of what they did, it would have been better if their interim president had told the students how you go about change on somethng you don't like or agree with such as voting, or working with the state legislatures on change. Instead, they just said screw the state and the voters,

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    It didn't work, what happened us he gave in and so will the next person"they" decide isn't giving them what they want.
    Precisely.

One of the demands was that the President sign a letter acknowledging his "white male privilege"

It's such a slippery slope and UM didn't just slip on it, they plunged in head first. I would be utterly shocked if donations for academia, applications for enrollment and athletics ticket sales and booster money for facilities don't decline.

Folks in “Bleeding Kansas” were likely about to run with the racist Mizzou angle. And this guy was about to become the current day William Clarke Quantrill..another Mizzou educator.

Such things are a sensitive issue in Missouri. Likely more so than even a Mississippi.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

"an act of extraordinary cowardice"

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...-racism-crisis

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    One of the demands was that the President sign a letter acknowledging his "white male privilege"
    I'd have signed something suggesting they role that letter up really tight and file it in a really uncomfortable place.

As a brief resident of St. Louis I'm comfortable saying that the area has some real issues on this subject. I know the campus is in columbia, but I think it goes to a whole culture in that area that has some wounds that have never been healed b/c they haven't been addressed.

and I'm sure things were mishandled on all sides, but the current Leftist mantra that white males are to be somehow shunned like this was some backwater Massachusetts colony town is just crap. I don't know if this guy came from money and privilege or had to scrap for every bite he got, but you don't assume the former b/c he's white.

I also agree there's no particular reason for Mizzou to issue a statement on the shooting, but you know one was going to be expected in some way.

I'm all for civil disobedience, but that in and of itself doesn't tell us anything about whether the cause was right or just. In this case I imagine the Mizzou admin maybe did this or that wrong, but probably nothing to rise to this level of indignation.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Unforgettable

As I listened to Pinkles press conference today I decided he is either stupid or a liar and I am leaning on liar

He was asked about what his players did and why. He said they were supporting the fool on the hunger strike and they were worried about his health. A reporter than said that the players were demanding Wolfe resign or they wouldn't okay and what was his reaction. He again said it was about the health of the hunger striker. The reporter repeated the question and Pinkles repeated his answer. If he is stupid enough to believe it was about that guys health he should be fired for stupidity. IMO GE knew what those players had demanded, lied to the reporter 3 times and totally told his employers to screw themselves.

And because of this whole mess, black athletes at other a Universities are going to feel they can do the same thing and demand what they want or else. I would tell them their scholarships were revoked as of that moment and would receive no more benefits as of that day.

The players are also demanding more diversity. What if the school said fine, there is 10% of the student body that are non whites, so every sport had to have 90% whites for the next year. What if the white players and students demanded that, had civil disobedience for thst. They would have been kicked off campus and the liberals would have ridiculed them.

Missouri really screwed up

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Without digging through a bunch of articles, if you've already done so, can somebody tell me what the President did that was wrong?

Was his resignation demanded because of something he did, or something he failed to do? Was it that bad things were happening, so the captain of the ship must go down?

My attention span is about 10 seconds these days, so if it's longer than a paragraph, I'll probably miss it .
    He did nothing wrong. He was in a no win situation. The minority students said he did nothing to address the situation but what was he to do? Somebody paints a swastika on a building so does he send everybody to their room with no dinner until somebody come forward and confesses? Oh, he did implement racial sensitivity training Guess he forgot the kumbya songfest and that offended the hippie segment of the campus.

People need to realize their are idiots in this world and you just can't get rid of them. People have a right to be idiots, morons, racists and biggots (And people who don't know how to use there, their and they're correctly). You can't cry every time somebody hurts your feelings and sometimes others can't solve those problems with the snap of a finger.
    Last edited by Doc; 11-10-2015 at 07:18 AM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

OT: What's going on at Missouri??

The pooch has officially been screwed at Mizzou. The stepping down of the president along with football team boycotting will set a very uncomfortable precedent.

The football players with scholarships have a responsibility to the program in which they signed a contract to be a part of. They are in a different boat than the students who are paying tuition of their own free will.

If the students have a problem with the university that they chose to go to perhaps they might be better served to find another university to attend.

From what I've read about the only thing the university has done is perhaps dragged their feet in the response of the racial issues.

It is refreshing to see the African Americans standing up for others civil rights issues other than their own. One of the issues I keep hearing that is getting repeated is the swastika written in feces on a frat door. Typically swastikas are directed towards Jewish folks.

It'll be interesting to see how this precedent affects other universities and their staffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire