Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Video editing software recommendations? Or discussion

Video editing software recommendations? Or discussion

I'm doing my own homework on this, so I may settle on something and just get it. I don't want anyone to get frustrated in case they give me a great recommendation, and find out that I bought or downloaded something else, but I'm really at the point that I need to do something.

Here are my requirements.

1. EASY. In fact, I am starting all my research with internet searches like, "easiest video editing software" kinda thing. I don't care about bells and whistles, I care about intuitive, easy, few steps, ready-to-mix kinda stuff.

2. Must be able to work with, or convert, .MPG files. That's what my 9-year old camcorder, and literally hundreds of hours of video, is based on.

3. If it converts it, it can't lose much compression. This was a very good high level consumer camcorder in its day, Sony made a great product then with a super lens, but it is not high definition, and losing compression is a killer. Watching it on a 42" TV screen is perfectly fine in its original .MPG format.

4. My video editing requirements are very simple. I'm going to be doing a couple of different things. One, is to create full length things like plays, show choir programs, etc. That's pretty easy; about all I will be doing will be putting together a title page, maybe some credits--stuff I've done before that is very easy.

A second one is the driving force behind this--I want to cut pieces from different videos and splice them together in sort of a highlight video. I have basketball and soccer videos I want to do that way, both individually for my child, and also for my son's team.

I have more of a pressing need for this now because I really want to provide some team highlights for my son's soccer coach at the end of this season. The season isn't over; the team has two more matches (semifinals and either finals or consolation match) next Saturday, but I'd like to start working with this so that soon after the season ends I'll be able to put something together. I will more than likely insert music rather than the sound associated with play on the field for that, too (who needs to hear a bunch of parents griping about an official's calls, anyway?)

REMEMBER--I am terrible at this kind of thing. TERRIBLE. That's why it needs to be easy, few steps, intuitive, etc.

I am looking at Wondershare Filmora right now as a possible candidate. It is very highly regarded by diyvideoeditor.com.

A 2nd possibility is Muvee Reveal X, also from the same site. It kinda scares me because it talks about everything being automatic on it, and it creating the final product by itself. Sorta like one of those Google self-steering cars.

Anyway, if you've worked with either of these, or have any other recommendations, I would appreciate your comments.

Re: Video editing software recommendations? Or discussion

In case it matters (and it probably does) the camcorder says it records in MPEG-2, but the files on the computer are .MPG files.

I'm going to be lurking, see if anyone has any good suggestions.

I can suggest a conversion program to change formats that so far has proven very good. It's by iWisoft, their free video converter. Using it to make animated gifs, does a stunning job but doesn't let me set the exact size.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Have you seen this article? It has some recommendations.

http://diyvideoeditor.com/easy-video-editing-software/
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Have you seen this article? It has some recommendations.

http://diyvideoeditor.com/easy-video-editing-software/
    Thanks, Dan--that's where I got my leading recommendation so far. It makes me feel better that you ran across that as well, and at least, it didn't appear off-base to you, either.

I probably won't have time to research any more today, but I may run to my local Office Max in case they have something in a package that this article (or another) recommends as well.

I seriously have to believe they make something that others that are weak in tech areas can pick up on easily, that will do basic video editing. My needs are not very many in the area.

Bombino
    Sorry I cant help on this one. I don't do any video editing. Good luck on it. This iron a tech thing I know nothing about.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    Sorry I cant help on this one. I don't do any video editing. Good luck on it. This iron a tech thing I know nothing about.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk
    Start by comparing your hardware specs. Hardware on the bottom end of the specs will be brutally slow. Memory and processor are important of course. But video card can be the most important piece. Some rely more on the graphics card for rendering more than others.

I'm a fan of Adobe, but I have the CS (professional) version at work with Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc...

I would imagine Adobe Premiere Elements (amateur version) is pretty good but I've never used it. I'm sure you can download a free trial.

I'm probably about to buy something called HitFilm ($299) for my personal use. It is an editor and compositor (3D graphics) in one. I may also look at Premiere Elements just because it is cheap and bundled with Photoshop Elements. You can get the education version bundle pretty cheap. Probably less than $100 for both, I haven't looked in a while.

I suggest a trial version of whatever you buy. Some older cameras have weird proprietary codecs that some editors do not like.

Don't rule out Windows Movie Maker or iMovie. They will do the stuff you are talking about. Although it seems like Movie Maker took away the option to export to a DVD. But I'm sure you can work around that.

I'm not really video guy, but I'm the closest thing we have to it at work. I'm not sure I can help much more, but quote me if you have any questions so I'll see it and I'll try to answer. I don't check this forum daily. I'm mostly familiar with the professional stuff as I've had to learn it. I've never used the more affordable option because I have it at work.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I'm doing my own homework on this, so I may settle on something and just get it. I don't want anyone to get frustrated in case they give me a great recommendation, and find out that I bought or downloaded something else, but I'm really at the point that I need to do something.
    Pedro, I meant to quote Darrel on the previous post.
    Last edited by KentuckyWildcat; 11-07-2015 at 12:16 AM.

I'll second something as simple as Movie Maker. I use it for the simple stuff I do, and it does have the benefit of being simple.

Its big limitation is compatibility, but so far I think this iWisoft program I found that does conversions could address a lot of those issues. The question as D raised is if the conversion maintains quality. So far I've done a maker movie to animated gif and it looked flat awesome, best animated gif I've seen in terms of color palette.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt
    Made a decision yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Haven't. But appreciate the comments. I haven't been able to spend any extra time looking. I will be out of town Thursday through Sunday this week, which means my spare time got hammered this week, too .

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk