Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official coaching search rumors thread

Official coaching search rumors thread

Alright...we all know it's coming, it's already started so I figured we should keep this to one thread so nothing gets lost.

Pat Forde wrote an article saying he's been told Bobby Petrino is NOT being considered...he's hearing
    Sonny Dykes - HC Louisiana Tech
    Dirk Koetter- OC Atlanta Falcons
    Brent Pease- OC Florida
    Neal Brown- OC Texas Tech

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...GlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Re: Official coaching search rumors thread

Do any real sports journalists have any thoughts, 4d is on the do not click list along with Thamel, Bozich, and Tipton.

What say you MR. Vaught ???
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

1. Make Rex Ryan turn us down.
    2. Chuck Martin, Sonny Dykes, Butch Jones.
    3. NOT Fulmer, Cutcliffe, or Petrino.

The rumor I heard was that Rex Ryan was seen at the Waddy-Peytona (or is that Peytona-Waddy)
    exit at the gas station buying a Slim Jim and a Red Bull.

Or did you mean REAL rumors?

Im talking about stuff like this

Oscar Combs ‏@wildcatnews

If MB involves former players in process, hope he includes @timcouchtv. Tim has been around SEC football last 4 years. Knows what it'll take

Tim Couch ‏@timcouchtv

@wildcatnews thanks Oscar. I would love to help and be involved in any way that I can.

jared lorenzen ‏@JaredLorenzen22

@timcouchtv well put in a good word. I would love to go through that process and ge a shot on that staff. #BBN

Fox 41 breaks it down with a poll...but they included Frank Solich so credibility went out the window

http://www.wdrb.com/story/19998905/c...k-football-job

Eric Crawford ‏@ericcrawford

WDRB POLL: 27% of #UK fans say they want Petrino, 19% Kirby Smart; 14% Sonny Dykes, 11% Fulmer. Vote & see results http://www.wdrb.com/story/19998905/c...k-football-job … #BBN

I hope Mitch goes after Belotti.

With Belotti you'd get some similarities to Brooks. That would be a good thing in our program right now.....stability.

Sorry but I couldnt help but laugh

BearcatsBlog ‏@BearcatsBlog

If Butch Jones left Cincinnati for Kentucky, I would quit.

I do not see Jones coming to UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Badinage View Post
    I hope Mitch goes after Belotti.
    I've always wondered what kind of feelings Brooks left here with.

Between his statement about UK needing to enter the 21st century and some of the fanbase booing him and questioning him on his call in show it makes me wonder whether he would tell Belotti that he shouldn't come here.

LHL finally gets on board...but all of this is speculation

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/11/04/2...ce=twitterfeed

Didnt realize Marlon McCree was in his first year as the Jaguars DB coach...Mitch needs to bring him home in the same position...passion would make him a great recruiter

Hopefully, Barnhart has an expansion plan to put before any candidate that demonstrates UK is ready to move this thing forward.

Twitter world indicates UK reps are in Tuscaloosa today.

KIRK HERBSTREIT (ESPN college football analyst)

ON JOKER PHILLIPS’ FIRING: “I guess the only thing that’s surprising is that there’s still a couple games left to go in the season. I know that even coming into this year there was some pressure there to win and I think everybody knew that this was a big year for Kentucky and for Joker. Things obviously didn’t go the way they’d hoped for. I think it’s his third year, if I’m not mistaken, and he got to the one bowl game and came up a little bit short last year. You’d have to talk to the athletic director, but I think any time you see a coach let go with still some games to go it’s more about the overall direction of where the era is going. They must’ve felt it was not going in a good direction, so they moved forward with it.”

ON WHAT KIND OF COACH A PROGRAM LIKE KENTUCKY SHOULD SEEK: “I think first of all, playing in the SEC, it’s always going to be a challenge to win a lot of games. I think Vanderbilt is a good example of being able to locate an offensive-minded coach who’s got a lot of energy and kind of an aggressive mentality. If you look at what he’s been able to do in the SEC – not just the SEC, but East where you have Georgia and Florida and South Carolina (three current top-10 teams) and usually a pretty good Tennessee team. But James Franklin, in his first year he gets to a bowl game. In his second year, looks like they’re going to go to another bowl game.

“And I think it’s his background as an offensive guy, but really more than anything as you get to know James Franklin, it’s his energy – overall drive and personality. He’s a recruiter. He’s relentless in recruiting. I think that’s what Kentucky needs to find. Instead of apologizing for, ‘Oh, gosh, we’re Kentucky,’ and , ‘We’re in the SEC and it’s challenge; it’s a grind,’ you’ve got to find somebody who believes. You’ve got to find somebody who makes that into a positive. You’ve got to find somebody who’s young and aggressive and eager and wants to go out and hit the recruiting trails and sell Kentucky and sell Lexington , sell Keeneland, sell everything! Get excited about what you have to offer there.

“To me, you can’t look at it like, ‘Man, we’re at the bottom looking up with our tradition.’ You have to look at it like, ‘Why not Kentucky? Why not? Let’s go win.’ And I think that having a guy that’s got some ties to the region, whether it’s through the SEC or down in the southeastern part of the country, I think probably would be beneficial. But to me it’s more about finding somebody who’s enthusiastic and excited about being the head coach at Kentucky and excited about turning negatives into positives and going out and recruiting and beating some people for good players. I don’t care how good a coach you are; you cannot win if you can’t recruit. And you’ve got to go out and recruit.”

ON HIS TOP THREE NAMES THAT WOULD FIT FOR KENTUCKY: “I haven’t even thought about it. I guess we’re at that time of the year where we’ve got to start thinking about who are guys that would fit in where. Just off the top of my head, I’m thinking about young coordinators who are eventually going to be given a shot and become really good head coaches. I know at Kentucky you’re going to hear big names that are out there for any job that opens up. You’re already hearing names like Bobby Petrino down in the Southeastern Conference. You’re going to hear names, but if I’m Kentucky I’m looking for a guy that’s maybe never been a head coach, who is a coordinator who could bring in excitement because he’s now a head coach.

“Mark Stoops is a name that to me is going to create some attention when this season is over because of the success he’s had and his pedigree and where he’s from. He’s a go-getter and a guy that I think has a lot to offer. You wonder: Are we getting to a point where (Alabama D-coordinator) Kirby Smart is ready to go out and become a head coach. I think he’s a guy that has a lot of energy and has a lot to offer, being familiar with the SEC and being a former player in the SEC and now a coach at Bama. So those are two, I guess, just off the top of my head, that come to mind.”

ON LOUISIANA TECH COACH SONNY DYKES BEING A POPULAR NAME AROUND HERE: “He’s outstanding, and I think Louisiana Tech’s going to have a hard time holding onto him because of some of the things I was just talking about: passion and energy and he’s got a great offensive mind. He knows how to go out and put points on the board. With his pedigree and his background, I think he would be an outstanding coach no matter where he is. He’ll be a guy that’s going to be on a lot of people’s lists, for sure.”

ON THAT NOTE, DID UK DO ITSELF A FAVOR BY GETTING A HEADSTART ON ARKANSAS, AUBURN AND TENNESSEE, WHICH MIGHT ALSO HAVE OPENINGS TO FILL SOON: “That’s a good point. I think that’ s fair point and may be part of the reason that they decided to make the move now, even with a couple games left to go. It is a little bit of a timing game when it comes to who can talk to whom and when are you allowed to talk, and who has a job that’s open. It’s hard to really go out and work with these coaches and their agents when you still have a head coach. So I think it’s a good move and I think it may create kind of a domino effect, where people who are thinking about a move maybe entertain the thought of trying to move to try to stay up with Kentucky, because it looks like Kentucky wants to try to be aggressive in trying to bring in a coach who can get them back to being competitive in the SEC.”

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ukb...oung-salesman/

Just a few other names to toss in the mix:

Kirby Smart - DC at Alabama. Several sources reported UK reps visited Bama athletic offices today
    Mike MacIntyre - HC San Jose State, former Parcells assistant in the NFL. Has turned SJSU around from 1-12 to 5-7 to 7-2 currently. Has ties to the South (coached at Ole Miss, Duke, Davidson, played at Georgia Tech, father was head coach at Vandy in the 80's)
    Dirk Koetter - OC Atlantic Falcons, former Boise State and Arizona State HC
    Mike Gundy - HC Oklahoma State

Columbus Dispatch says "Why not Jim Tressel to UK?"

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/cont...y-why-not.html

Neal Brown contacted, per Larry

http://vaughtsviews.com/sources-conf...or-neal-brown/

Ideally I'd love to have Dykes with Brown as OC but that would be a lateral move for Brown and not sure if he'd want to make it.
    Follow my insane ramblings on UK sports and this crazy world we live in: @UKSalsaKat

If we get Belotti, you think he could get Nike to set us up with cool uniforms? We could be the Oregon of the SEC!

Quote Originally Posted by SalsaKat View Post
    Neal Brown contacted, per Larry

http://vaughtsviews.com/sources-conf...or-neal-brown/

Ideally I'd love to have Dykes with Brown as OC but that would be a lateral move for Brown and not sure if he'd want to make it.
    I guess it would depend on how much he likes where he is living and the pay scale. Being a Danville native, it might be very attractive to him to get to move home.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelSteve View Post
    Columbus Dispatch says "Why not Jim Tressel to UK?"

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/cont...y-why-not.html
    If they do not know the answer, they probably are not worth the read.

LHL says the list includes
    Neal Brown
    David Cutcliffe
    Sonny Dykes
    Philip Fulmer (DEAR GOD NO)
    Butch Jones
    Dirk Koetter
    Mike Leach
    Mike MacIntyre (SJSU coach, 13-21 record, another DEAR GOD NO)
    Gus Malzahn
    Chad Morris (Clemson OC)
    Brent Pease
    Bobby Petrino
    Willie Taggart
    Tommy Tuberville

http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/football/next-coach/

Mississippi newspaper running with a rumor that Kentucky is trying to go after Rex Ryan

http://www.clarionledger.com/article...nclick_check=1

^^ I've read that several places. But wouldn't we have to wait until January to get rolling with him?

Not that it matters. That's a pipe dream.
    Follow my insane ramblings on UK sports and this crazy world we live in: @UKSalsaKat

Quote Originally Posted by SalsaKat View Post
    ^^ I've read that several places. But wouldn't we have to wait until January to get rolling with him?

Not that it matters. That's a pipe dream.
    Maybe, maybe not, a deal could be made yet kept secret, the Jets are 3-5 and even with a strong run, 8-8 is possible yet unlikely with their schedule. I say if a deal isnt done within the week after the Tennessee game...then it might be time to seriously look into this possibility

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by bluesuedeshoes View Post
    The rumor I heard was that Rex Ryan was seen at the Waddy-Peytona (or is that Peytona-Waddy)
    exit at the gas station buying a Slim Jim and a Red Bull.

Or did you mean REAL rumors?
    Actually, it is the Tri-Cities of Waddy, Peytona and Graefenburg.

Brent Pease says he does NOT want the Kentucky job, but praises the program
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...post?track=rss

Texas A&M Kliff Kingsbury denies any rumors
    * I asked offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury his reaction to his name popping up on a couple of websites as a potential candidate for Kentucky’s head coaching gig. “I haven’t seen too much of that,” he said, shaking his head. “I’m just trying to get a first down against Alabama.”
    http://blog.chron.com/aggies/2012/11...-anything-yet/

MrSEC lists the 5 things Kentuckys next coach has to bring to the table to succeed...just a little part

3. An in-check ego

There’s no such thing as a millionaire coach without an ego. They don’t exist. But the Cats will need to find someone with the ability to put his ego in check. Regardless of how successful he’s been or even how much success he has in Lexington, the next coach will always be the football coach at a basketball school. Come every October, the media in Kentucky will turn its attention to basketball. Fans will line up to get tickets to the first basketball practice of the season. That’s just how big Kentucky basketball is. There’s no changing it or fighting it and the next coach had better know it and embrace it.

During a radio show with me this morning, Kentucky play-by-play man Tom Leach provided the perfect example of my point… in reverse. “Billy Donovan at Florida,” he said. Exactly. Donovan hasn’t always been thrilled with the fan support his teams have gotten, but he’s never tried to escape the shadow of Florida football (at least without quickly changing his mind and coming back).

John Calipari is successful enough both as a coach and as a carnival-barker — that’s a compliment, not an insult — to assist the next man up. The new coach should embrace his help. Barnhart needs to find a football version of Donovan.

http://www.mrsec.com/2012/11/five-th...d/#more-259506

Bobby Petrino Sr. says Petrino wants the Kentucky job

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...cording-father