Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

Mike Huckabee, the recalcitrant County clerk Kim Davis, Eye of the Tiger soundtrack, and a guy in bib overalls and a straw hat walking her up to the stage, apparently her husband.

People waving white crosses in the crowd.

CBS news video showing the country at its furthest right craziest. Sort of "Occupy Wall Street's" doppelgänger with Huckabee playing the cynical political office seeking community organizer part.

Of course the New York Times coverewd the whole last week as if it were the on-coming apocalyspe.

Know this is tender by oh my the message received by most of the country from this is not complimentary to KY.

Re: Eye of the Tiger

Not tender (or tinder) to me, I don't care what your religious beliefs are on gay marriage, that woman is paid to do a job and enforce the law of the land and has a singular obligation to follow that law or resign the office. Period.

Give to Caesar that which is Ceasar's, and give to God that which is God's. She can have her beliefs, but if her beliefs prevent her from doing the job as prescribed by the law, she has to step aside.

So I'm not mad she is holding to her religious beliefs, but I am annoyed she thinks running that office is a birthright and her personal kingdom that she can refuse to execute the office.

There are times when a righteous person must refuse an order, but that is when he's being asked to kill someone or burn a village, not issue a license. The proper protest here is to resign the position.

And I really wish she weren't in Kentucky. Not that I care what the eastern press thinks of us, I already know they think we're shoeless hicks and have said so many times re the bias we see against our basketball team, but I don't see a reason to give them the ammunition. They've portrayed us this way since the coverage of the Hatfields and McCoys and this is just the latest round of it.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Oh, as for Huckabee, he's just desperate. There's a reason every candidate with any kind of polling numbers is steering way clear.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

This ain't baking a cake for "Adam and Steve's" wedding. This is GOVERNMENT JOB. You don't want to do your job then Q-U-I-T. If you are a business owner and you don't want to cater a gay wedding fine. The Supreme Court ruled gay wedding legal. You don't like it, tough. You do you ####### job because the highest court in the land said its legal. You don't decide what it legal and what isn't. You don't want want to sign the marriage certificate that the law says you are obligated to do then fine. You're not doing what you are paid to do. Vamoose.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

And following cbbn

As for Huckabee, this is why I couldn't vote for him. I like the guy and thinks he makes sense on most things but he can take his religion that he is trying to shove down my throat and shove it up his a$$
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

When I saw Davis' husband's getup I thought of this guy:

There's a way to make the point. What we saw today ain't it.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

SCOTUS dropped the ball on the way it handled the ruling. Technically there are no marriage laws to uphold after the ruling, no license requirements either.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post

I wonder if their home phone number is BR-549.

Not b/c of their beliefs btw, just the look. Where she could be chided somewhat for her beliefs is just the irony that Junior Samples is husband #4 I believe (or 3, I haven't paid close enough attention). Seems she's cherry picking which parts of the Bible to apply as a strict constructionist.

Oh, and just so people don't think I'm all uppity, you wouldn't believe how much he looks like my grandfather, and how much I look like him as I get older. I even have a couple pairs of coveralls around here I use when doing construction, but I don't wear them to court or press conferences.

^Yeah, my roots are as country as can be, and my people are as sweet, hard-working and generous as can be. But there's no way he walks around dressed like that every day. That was pure theater, and a poorly-chosen costume.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 09-09-2015 at 05:46 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    SCOTUS dropped the ball on the way it handled the ruling. Technically there are no marriage laws to uphold after the ruling, no license requirements either.
    The way it should probably be handled is how some states handle their concealed carry laws. Can't think of which ones off hand, but the way it works is it's legal to carry without taking a class or getting a permit, but they offer the class and permit and you can get it if you want.

The benefit for ccdw is reciprocity with other states, you'll have it if you get a license but won't if you don't. For marriage we declare anyone can sign whatever contract the produce to signify they are married, OR you can get the formal license issued. The benefit is legal, avoiding any ambiguities that may come from not following the formal process.

But whoever asks for one should be able to get one. Really the whole thing shouldn't be a "marriage license" but a "significant other designation" that gives that person the rights of survivorship, etc. that comes with what we now call a marriage, and the government doesn't acknowledge "marriage" at all but just the legal aspects of a civil union. Do away with the marriage part altogether.

But this lady would still refuse, and she can't, so she needs to resign regardless of what we call it and even whether or not it's technically required.

^Yeah, my roots are as country as can be, and my people are as sweet, hard-working and generous as can be. But there's no way he walks around like that every day. That was pure theater, and a poorly-chosen costume.
    Yep. My grandfather apparently was in coveralls a high percentage of his time on earth, but certainly not in church or court, etc. They're in Rowan county not outer Mongolia, the the rest of the country folks in this state may not have Armani and the latest cuffed pants, but they have suits and ties.

Makin Kentucky proud

Survivor wasn't exactly happy with the unauthorized use of the music.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/09...avis-eye-tiger
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 09-09-2015 at 09:31 AM.

Rupp's Runt

I have no problems with her religious standing on the issue. That said however, she's a DULY ELECTED PUBLIC OFFICIAL, and as such she is required to discharge her official duties in the manner prescribed by state & federal law. She is required to do her job that she was elected to do.
    I have to do things according to the law, just like she does. Like her, I have to enforce laws that I may not necessarily like and/or agree with. But I do my job anyway. I HAVE TO! I took an oath, just like she did. That means you have to do the job you swore to do. Period.
    I admire her personal convictions on the matter. But........she is an elected official holding a public office. She has to obey the law.
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    I have no problems with her religious standing on the issue. That said however, she's a DULY ELECTED PUBLIC OFFICIAL, and as such she is required to discharge her official duties in the manner prescribed by state & federal law. She is required to do her job that she was elected to do.
    I have to do things according to the law, just like she does. Like her, I have to enforce laws that I may not necessarily like and/or agree with. But I do my job anyway. I HAVE TO! I took an oath, just like she did. That means you have to do the job you swore to do. Period.
    I admire her personal convictions on the matter. But........she is an elected official holding a public office. She has to obey the law.

Exactly. If you don't want to do what is part of you job then find another job.

This may be the most agreement we've ever had on a topic.

We all seem to be fine that she's entitled to her beliefs, and also all feel that if those beliefs prevent her from doing the prescribed job per the law then she needs to resign from the position.

it's shockingly simple to those of us not trying to use this for political gain or to get more views on their news program.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

A side issue but perhaps one that is actually bigger in the grand scheme of things is that this woman basically inherited her job from her mother. And now this woman's son is her deputy as well.

They are not giving up a job that pays around $79,000 a year. The nepotism here is really strong in my view. The people elected her but this kind of thing just really worries me about potential corruption when elected offices are just really passed down.

If you can't do your job, then resign. But this notion that if she doesn't sign it or has her name on the license she is "absolved" is BS. It came from your office. Either sign it or resign.

Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
    A side issue but perhaps one that is actually bigger in the grand scheme of things is that this woman basically inherited her job from her mother. And now this woman's son is her deputy as well.

They are not giving up a job that pays around $79,000 a year. The nepotism here is really strong in my view. The people elected her but this kind of thing just really worries me about potential corruption when elected offices are just really passed down.

If you can't do your job, then resign. But this notion that if she doesn't sign it or has her name on the license she is "absolved" is BS. It came from your office. Either sign it or resign.
    IMO it's clear she feels this is her birthright. I understand she barely won in the last election, but I agree the nepotism is questionable at best.

As folks can tell from the other thread, I'm a big admirer of the professional civil service of our country. I've worked with foreign officials and they are so stunned at our lack of corruption they really can't get their minds around it, or why we do it. For them part of the benefit of having a government job is the bribery and influence peddling that comes with it, basically the spoils system of the early Republic that we pretty much fixed by the First World War.

She needs to step aside, and give up her little family fiefdom, and I think that's what this is really all about, at least the part about why she still holds the position and didn't resign.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post

Quite accurate. I've noted that about religions, they are great about telling OTHERS what is right and wrong

Quote Originally Posted by ukblue View Post
    You can go 18-20 miles away on either side of this office and get a license for gay marriage. The woman was made a example of by the media fwiw. She should of had a clerk issue the signed license for her and 25 years from now say she never signed those license herself.
    Why should somebody, as a taxpaying individual, drive an extra 18-20 miles to accomidate her? Its her job to sign the license. She is paid by the taxpayers, INCLUDING THE GAY ONES, and the Supreme Court of the United States says its their legal right to be married. She has no authority to over rule or ignore the rulings of SCOTUS. Who does she think she is, the President??

Everybody does stuff in their job they don't like or agree with. I can name many things on a daily basis that I do that I don't like or agree with but I do them anyway. Its called "LIFE". Sometimes we do things we don't like because the law says we do them. This bumpkin needs to grow up, put on her big girl pants and act like an adult instead of crying like a baby about not wanting to do this. Nobody's asking her to sleep with a woman. Her job is to sign the certificate, not consumate the marriage.
    Last edited by Doc; 09-13-2015 at 12:50 AM.

Bombino
    The craziest thing to me is that Westboro Baptist church is even against her. Saying she took an oath before God to uphold the laws of her office.

Sent from my LG-ls990 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    The craziest thing to me is that Westboro Baptist church is even against her. Saying she took an oath before God to uphold the laws of her office.

That surely is the weirdest turn in the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Why should somebody, as a taxpaying individual, drive an extra 18-20 miles to accomidate her? Its her job to sign the license. She is paid by the taxpayers, INCLUDING THE GAY ONES, and the Supreme Court of the United States says its their legal right to be married.
    Interesting thing about the couples dragging her to court, one couple lives in Ohio and passed by many other clerks' offices on their wat to Rowan County.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post

You never know where those loons will show up.

It's obvious this is a litmus test thing on both sides. I"m not really torn up over any couple individually having an issue b/c they are clearly doing this to fight the fight and not just to get hitched, this is all politics.

But she needs to either do her job or quit her job so we can all move on.

I bet if she was a Quaker who wouldn't issue a concealed carry license because of her belief in non violence Huckabee wouldn't have showed up.

If you're Hindu don't take a job as a butcher. If you're Muslim, don't become a waitress at Waffle House. If you're an Orthodox Jew, don't take a job as a vendor at a college football stadium.

Anyone who can read had to know that the issue was gong to be ruled on and the likelihood of the ruling being what it is.