Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Tampa Bay

Rupp's Runt

Tampa Bay

We are headed to Siesta Key in a month

But we will likely drive thru Tampa to see some of that area. We would like to eat somewhere on the bay or somewhere with a nice view. The place has to be 1 year old friendly. Any suggestions?

It can be anywhere in that area, it doesn't have to be just Tampa but we want to see as much of that area as we can in a few hours. We have never been to this area so it all new to us.

edit: Clearwater and St. Petersburg area is not out of the question for food depending on how travel time is going.
    Last edited by KentuckyWildcat; 09-02-2015 at 12:25 PM.

Re: Tampa Bay

I'd just scoot over and stay with Doc.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I'd just scoot over and stay with Doc.
    Is Doc's place one year old friendly? If it is now, it may not be when mine leaves

I love babies, especially smothered in some BBQ sauce
    Last edited by Doc; 09-02-2015 at 04:34 PM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    We are headed to Siesta Key in a month

But we will likely drive thru Tampa to see some of that area. We would like to eat somewhere on the bay or somewhere with a nice view. The place has to be 1 year old friendly. Any suggestions?

It can be anywhere in that area, it doesn't have to be just Tampa but we want to see as much of that area as we can in a few hours. We have never been to this area so it all new to us.

edit: Clearwater and St. Petersburg area is not out of the question for food depending on how travel time is going.
    Just spent a week at SK. I can tell you what the traffic situation will be from Tampa/St. Pete to Sarasota.

There are no half a days spent commuting back and forth in that area..it will tie up a whole day and wear you out.

Eat in The Village in SK. Another Broken Egg for that special breakfast and you may meet Vitale. I think he lives down the street by it, on the gulf.
    No shortage of eateries in the Village

Down towards Crescent beach (the best part of the SK beaches if you tire of walking across a half mile of white sand..which we did) Try http://www.captaincurts.com/

Also, look for the hard to find Crescent beach parking lot tightly nestled between two buildings on the South part of Siesta key near where Stickney Point Rd, connects to the Beach Road but a few steps south. Short walk..same beach..same sand..same water..less crowded. From the car to the Gulf waters in 1 minute. Problem is, only ten or twelve cars can park there...but it's surprisingly accessible because of a quick parking turnover, for whatever reason. I forget the parking lot #, and it is very easy to overlook unless you concentrate on a narrow, one line of cars, parking lot.

The drive down to Casperson Beach is worthwhile. Especially if shells and sharks teeth are your game. Black sand (natural occurrence) and rocks. Sand dollars, shells and lots of Shark teeth galore there.

You might know all this stuff however...have fun.

Here's a suggestion for a cool place to dine on the way. At Anna Maria Island there is a great place with a fantastic view
    http://www.thewaterfrontrestaurant.net/
    Last edited by kingcat; 09-02-2015 at 09:09 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    The drive down to Casperson Beach is worthwhile. Especially if shells and sharks teeth are your game. Black sand (natural occurrence) and rocks. Sand dollars, shells and lots of Shark teeth galore there.

You might know all this stuff however...have fun.
    I know little about the area. The west side is new to both of us. The guy I rented from gave me a nice list of restaurants in their area and Citizen and one other person has suggested Captain Curt's so we will try it out. I know we need to go the Village, but we don't know a lot about what is there. Siesta Key and Sanibel is on my bucket list so we will likely drive down to Sanibel one day. And we like to see other beaches that are convenient to visit so we may look at Caspersen as well!

Rupp's Runt

Eat in The Village in SK. Another Broken Egg for that special breakfast and you may meet Vitale. I think he lives down the street by it, on the gulf.
    Not sure if that will encourage me to go there or stay away j/k

I actually like their menu. It looks friendly to me and my dietary limits.

You might check out the link I just put in my post above. Anna Maria Island's Waterfront Restaurant is a nice place with the view you are after and kid friendly.

The Village is mostly shops, and eateries. A mini-Gatlinburg type walk around.

Siesta Key is a pretty laid back place with one awesome beach

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Caspersen beach is a shell paradise more than a swimming area. There are large rocks along the beach.
    At first I was hesitant to go out in the water (we were sifting for sharks teeth brought in by the waves) and then I noticed other folks trekking around the rocks and wading in less than knee deep water on a sandbar like any other beach. The water was rough while we were there with three foot waves. Unusual for July but there were storms in the Gulf. I loved it myself.

No kidding, Tampa area rush hour(s) traffic makes Atlanta look like a Sunday drive. It took us nearly five hours from Clearwater to Sarasota on a Tuesday leaving at 2:00 PM
    Not sure if that was normal or not.

Better off to take the scenic beach roads as much as you can imo.
    Last edited by kingcat; 09-02-2015 at 10:37 PM.

Rupp's Runt

Caspersen beach is a shell paradise more than a swimming area. There are large rocks along the beach.
    At first I was hesitant to go out in the water (we were sifting for sharks teeth brought in by the waves) and then I noticed other folks trekking around the rocks and wading in less than knee deep water on a sandbar like any other beach. The water was rough while we were there with three foot waves. Unusual for July but there were storms in the Gulf. I loved it myself.

No kidding, Tampa area rush hour(s) traffic makes Atlanta look like a Sunday drive. It took us nearly five hours from Clearwater to Sarasota on a Tuesday leaving at 2:00 PM
    Not sure if that was normal or not.

Better off to take the scenic beach roads as much as you can imo.

Thanks King!

Once you tire of walking across Siesta Key Public beach to reach the water, be sure to search out the Crescent Beach part. Exact same beach and you can walk up to the wide part if you so choose. It is both a long and w i d e stretch of white sandy beach with the southern section a much much shorter walk to the Gulf..if you can park

Rupp's Runt

I think we are actually staying on Crescent. We are staying at Siesta Dunes. Either way will walk the whole thing

I think we are actually staying on Crescent. We are staying at Siesta Dunes. Either way will walk the whole thing
    I forgot about people who walk the beach. I waddle to the water, flop down and do my beached whale imitation. Very similar to the lawn buddha I do here at home.

I'm a wild man in the water however. The old giant beachball effect ya' know.
    Last edited by kingcat; 09-04-2015 at 03:49 PM.

You're right in the middle of Crescent beach. Vitale lives all the way down at the end of it, in case you want to meet him or avoid him.

I've done Tampa to Sarasota a few times, never had any real trouble, but it's been 4-5 years now since I was there last. Clearwater can be very congested b/c it's basically a sand dune in the water with one road. Tiny piece of land with a whole lot of people, but still doable.

I wonder if Captain Kurts is still down on Siesta Key. I presume so. Basic dive oyster bar, was pretty good the last time I was there. Can't say much about where to eat in Tampa. Was there for work over a weekend, never did get anywhere nice.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

CK's is on the extreme South end of SKB on Beach road

Rupp's Runt

Anyone know how a beach stroller will do on the sand down there? I found a place to rent one, but I expect it is more of a jogging stroller.

We used a fold up wagon with normal tires on it and had no trouble. I was expecting we would need those balloon wheels for the beach but it wasn't as bad as I had heard.

My daughter carried Baby Caleb in a tula carrier, but Nana (the wife) says a stroller will do fine for you she believes.
    Last edited by kingcat; 09-07-2015 at 09:00 PM.

We used a fold up wagon with normal tires on it and had no trouble. I was expecting we would need those balloon wheels for the beach but it wasn't as bad as I had heard.

My daughter carried Baby Caleb in a tula carrier, but Nana (the wife) says a stroller will do fine for you she believes.
    Love fold up wagons. Best things ever invented. Well, they're good anyway.

Rupp's Runt

Tampa Bay

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Rupp's Runt
    Captain Curt's is good. Today we went to Phillippe Creek, it was good as well.

Beautiful area.

Really nice sunset pic. Glad you are having fun and hopefully good weather for this time of year
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Unforgettable

Not sure if that will encourage me to go there or stay away j/k

I actually like their menu. It looks friendly to me and my dietary limits.
    Broken egg is good but you might need a loan to pay for a stupid egg. Went once here for lunch, dropped $30 for gesso at lunch. Never again. I am not brilliant but I am not stupid

Rupp's Runt
    Dan, the weather is nice. Water is cold but our pool is heated so it is comfortable. The little one is worn out from the drive so we haven't done a lot.

Unforgettable

Sannibel is beautiful

Gorgeous pic.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Rupp's Runt

Tampa Bay

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    Sannibel is beautiful
    We are riding down to Sanibel on Wednesday.

After today in St Armands, $30 for an egg sounds like a bargain.