Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: TV newscaster shot and killed, on air

TV newscaster shot and killed, on air

link

Pretty sad story. Not sure of they why yet.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Re: TV newscaster shot and killed, on air

It is being reported that the shooter is possibly a disgruntled employee of the station that both victims worked for.

Just saw a report that it possibly was a "disgruntled employee"
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    It is being reported that the shooter is possibly a disgruntled employee of the station that both victims worked for.
    Your fingers and google is quicker than mine

OH man. That's awful. God bless the families, friends, and everyone touched.

Not Google, it was in my newsfeed on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Your fingers and google is quicker than mine

Here is the video. Warning, it is very graphic so I'd caution you prior to viewing. This is not the newscast but rather the gunmans video.

Also at the link is the video from the newscast
    Last edited by Doc; 08-26-2015 at 11:42 AM.

Heard the video was being posted on FB and Twitter, and unless you disabled autoplay, you got subjected to seeing the shooting. One of the many reasons why I disable autoplay whenever possible.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Here is the video. Warning, it is very graphic so I'd caution you prior to viewing. This is not the newscast but rather the gunmans video.

Also at the link is the video from the newscast
    Thanks for the link -- and the warning, Doc. Both are appreciated.

Rupp's Runt

The reporter & cameraman died, and the woman being interviewed is in critical condition.

The handgun looked like a Glock, couldn't tell what caliber. And the shooting was at point blank range. Classic point shooting.

What the hell are people thinking these days? Any problems he had with his former employer and its employees can be worked out many other ways, including legal recourse, if necessary. This is not the proper way to solve a dispute.
    MOLON LABE!

And in what I hope is a coincidence.... locally, 3 schools were put in lockdown due to a "shots fired". LINK. Fortunately my son is in high school and is not included. Spectrum is the division for student with behavioral issues, and the three schools are all in the same complex. When I say coincidence, I mean that its not some type of copy cat or shooting rampage trend type of thing.

Rupp's Runt

I heard a little while ago that the third victim died from the gunshot wounds.
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    I heard a little while ago that the third victim died from the gunshot wounds.
    Vicki Gardner is doing well
    Last edited by Doc; 08-27-2015 at 07:04 AM.

Bombino

The reporter & cameraman died, and the woman being interviewed is in critical condition.

The handgun looked like a Glock, couldn't tell what caliber. And the shooting was at point blank range. Classic point shooting.

What the hell are people thinking these days? Any problems he had with his former employer and its employees can be worked out many other ways, including legal recourse, if necessary. This is not the proper way to solve a dispute.
    He sent a 23-page diatribe to one of the major news networks. I don't think the dispute was the cause so much as it was the trigger that set off the actual cause. Except for very limited exceptions, you don't write 23 pages of grievances in a sane mind.

Rupp's Runt

And of course, the anti-gun crowd, led by Killary, has already started beating that 'ol, worn out gun control drum again......
    MOLON LABE!

And of course, the anti-gun crowd, led by Killary, has already started beating that 'ol, worn out gun control drum again......
    The only way he was going to be "controlled" from getting a gun was if a) he was reported as a danger by those at his workplace and legally ruled as being a threat or mentally incompetent (which appears as if it may have been an option - and is already legally in place), or b) you ban handgun sales. No amount of background checking would work.

The problem with (b) is that a lot of innocent people will die, far more than we lost today, so while it comes off as cold the policy that protects the most Americans is still to allow handguns. As for (a), as more comes out we can get a better idea, but it sounds like people were afraid of him when he was there, and that is a long running theme of so many of these workplace shootings. Coworkers and bosses know the person is nuts and potentially dangerous, but the avenues for what to do about that seem daunting to those people so rarely is anything done.

It's a horrible tragedy, and while it's not any more cold blooded than any of these other attacks, or any of the other non-gun horrible attacks we see reported every day (parents killing their kids, kids killing parents, etc.), it certainly stands out for this lunatic actually taking video as part of it. No doubt an influence of the ISIS approach of "marketing" their atrocities. Now these nuts who just wanted to be on the news when they went out are planning out social media campaigns to maximize their fifteen minutes of fame. Just when you think it was as sick as it could get, these people raise the bar.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

And I'll add that if someone invented a machine to read into people's hearts and we could identify and cull these sub-humans from the reset of us, I'd be the first to vote for turning it on.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Vicki Gardner is doing well
    She is reported in fair condition this morning. This is the lady who was being interviewed. The three dead are the reporter, the cameraman and the shooter

The new thing is mental health when it come to gym control. While this clearly was a guy who went off the deep end, it's not one that addressing "mental health" would solve. You want to take the guns away from every pissed off fired employee? I need to let the police dept know of two more on the no gun list as of yesterday as we axed a couple employees. Last job I was fired from (30 yrs ago) I considered burning down the bastards building. That's what people do when they get fired. Sometimes they write a 23 page "manifesto" like this guy. But no way to predict he was going to kill somebody, at least not enough to justify prying into people's medical records

By his own admission he bought the firearm on 6-19. 2 days after the Charleston racial shooting.

Bombino

The new thing is mental health when it come to gym control. While this clearly was a guy who went off the deep end, it's not one that addressing "mental health" would solve. You want to take the guns away from every pissed off fired employee? I need to let the police dept know of two more on the no gun list as of yesterday as we axed a couple employees. Last job I was fired from (30 yrs ago) I considered burning down the bastards building. That's what people do when they get fired. Sometimes they write a 23 page "manifesto" like this guy. But no way to predict he was going to kill somebody, at least not enough to justify prying into people's medical records
    and mail it to ABC?

I agree there was nothing that could be done to have stopped him.

That being said, mental health treatments in this country are a joke but that is another discussion for another day.

Rupp's Runt

Humans are going to kill each other for a myriad of reasons, just as they have done since the dawn of human history. The variety of weapons used from then until now runs the entirety of every object, thing, or whatever conveyance that might be available for use at the precise moment of the act being committed.
    And it is NOT always a gun. Pick an object, any object, and I can guarentee it has been used in the commission of a crime. But it is not always a gun. And to be specific, it not even the object used in the commission of the crime which is to blame.........it is the person committing the crime that is responsible. Not the object used.
    JMHO. If someone stabs me (which has happened twice in my law enforcement career) I am going to be mad as hell at the person that stabbed me with the knife or the ice pick, NOT the knife or the ice pick. It took the persons using those instruments to injure me. The objects used were just that.......objects used to injure me. The objects themselves cannot harm me by themselves, they have to be in the hands of a person whose intent it is to hurt/injure/kill me.
    MOLON LABE!

Unforgettable

The guy was fired multiple times for 'anger problems' among other things. IF this country from federal down to states would not have continued to cut funding for mental health throughout the country, its possible each of the companies he was fired from could have gotten him help before he was fired. or he could have checked into himself.

but like the Conn shooter, the shooter in Colorado, the shooter in Pearl, Ms years ago, all had or have mental health problems. The Conn shooters mom had evidently tried getting him help but was turned away.

More gun laws are not the answer, funding for mental health, doctors who are allowed to tip off authority such as the Colorado shooter for unstable people, all can help the situations.

Like Suncat said, if someone is bent on killing someone they can do it multiple ways. A state trooper was killed this week in La trying to stop a murderer who had just stabbed to death 3 people. 2 people were stabbed to death this week in Jackson, Ms.

Gun laws...Chicago is tough and they kill 900 on average a year. DC very tough but it didn't stop the sniper. Conn, hard to even have one there and yet he slaughters kids in a school.

Liberal judges who won't enforce the laws, lax enforcement, mental health funding cut, and plain wacko's is the problems, not more gun laws.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    The guy was fired multiple times for 'anger problems' among other things. IF this country from federal down to states would not have continued to cut funding for mental health throughout the country, its possible each of the companies he was fired from could have gotten him help before he was fired. or he could have checked into himself.

but like the Conn shooter, the shooter in Colorado, the shooter in Pearl, Ms years ago, all had or have mental health problems. The Conn shooters mom had evidently tried getting him help but was turned away.

More gun laws are not the answer, funding for mental health, doctors who are allowed to tip off authority such as the Colorado shooter for unstable people, all can help the situations.

Like Suncat said, if someone is bent on killing someone they can do it multiple ways. A state trooper was killed this week in La trying to stop a murderer who had just stabbed to death 3 people. 2 people were stabbed to death this week in Jackson, Ms.

Gun laws...Chicago is tough and they kill 900 on average a year. DC very tough but it didn't stop the sniper. Conn, hard to even have one there and yet he slaughters kids in a school.

Liberal judges who won't enforce the laws, lax enforcement, mental health funding cut, and plain wacko's is the problems, not more gun laws.
    It is one of those rare times where you and I are in complete agreement JazyD. The mental health system in the USA is a friggin joke, as great as our regular health system is, our mental health system is abysmal.

As everyone has said, our mental health system is a mess.

And IMO we need to not think about it in the way the anti-gun groups do, i.e. that doctors can identify someone as a threat and then have their access to guns restricted. OK maybe here and there that stops or slows someone down, but it's a huge net with holes big enough for whales to get through, it's not workable and it's questionable on many levels Constitutionally.

BUT, a better mental health system can make a difference in stopping these kinds of crimes simply by HELPING these people and thus having fewer unbalanced, isolated people running around in this country. You don't need to get into gun rights or gun access at all to simply help people out there who have real issues. Whether that is legally forced or not depends on the case, but access and support, etc. can all help.

This guy was angry and scared people for a LONG time, apparently years upon years, before he snapped. We can't say if a better mental health system would have helped him in particular, but I'm betting it would help a percentage of these people, and certainly help the millions more who need help and never go out and killing anyone but simply suffer on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    and mail it to ABC?

I agree there was nothing that could be done to have stopped him.

That being said, mental health treatments in this country are a joke but that is another discussion for another day.
    I don't know. How many manifesto's does ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox get every year? I'd bet they get quite a few "venters". What about lengthy editorials bitching about the government to news outlets? Does that constitute mental instability? I've read some that I'd put in that category and after the current administration implied I and every other right wing individual was a terrorist, I'm not sure I trust the governments definition of who is safe to carry a gun. Considier how many "shooters" do so for politiical reasons. Now if the stanard is contacting the media with a lengthy diatribe expressing your displeasure, does our government now have justification to dearm any who speak out against them under the guise of not wanting people with mental health issues to own guns?

I didn't state that more couldn't and shouldn't be done for mental health in this country. What I stated was using it for gun control is ineffective. I do not believe in tying them together. In my opinion its poorly conceived and ripe for corruption. Its something that gun advocates should be wary of. Its also something that people who value their personal privacy should be even more concerned about. Mental health is a very small fraction of the problem but one that will get much attention in the gun debate. Granted, every little bit helps but its not going to solve the majority of the problem.

That said, do you give a gun to a crazy person? Of course not. I know of nobody who suggests otherwise. The argument presented tying mental health and gun control is a ruse to make both sides feel better, so both can say they are working on the problem. Find me an organization or group that support guns to the mentally ill and the I'll join the cause against it but as of now there is no such movement! The right says we want guns out of nutjobs hand so see we are reasonable, and the left sees it as a STARTING POINT. Both sides win the PR debate. Goverment is working. YEHAW! Congrats, now let's go have a beer because we solved nothing, but we did make ourselves look like we are trying
    Last edited by Doc; 08-28-2015 at 05:54 AM.

Let me give you an example of my concern. If an administration is hard left on gun control and basically wants a European model (sound familiar?) with no private ownership and has the ability to institute rules and regulations much like the EPA and HHS, where the rules are mandated not by congress but rather by appointed individuals of the administration, what's to stop them from mandating by rules the abolition of the second amendment? Why not deny guns by rules rather then law? Its the same result. Ownership to any individual who has ever been the subject of a restraining order? That seems logical, right? A judge granted that order for a reason. He/she believed somebody's safety was in jeopardy. The last shooter in LA, that was the evidence of his "mental disease", and that restraining order was issued 8 years ago and unspecified treatment for mental issues at that time (likely associated with the RO). So a person with no diagnosis of mental illness, just treatment for mental issues nearly a decade ago, an 8 years old restraining order against him by his now ex-wife now falls in the "mentally ill" category on the gun control list? You good with that standard? I'm not but that is exactly the standard that has been used to question Rusty Houser's mental health. Folks will say look at this shooters past, and this ones, and this ones. See the clues? Hindsight diagnosis is S-I-M-P-L-E. I wish all my patients came in with the condition identified and then all I had to do was find the symptoms. Backwards medicine makes the job a lot easier. Realistically, every shooter is mentally ill. Odds are most people have something that could make them at least suspect to that. Ever lose your temper? Well you shoot a person and suddenly that becomes evidence you are somebody with anger issues. Suddenly anybody who witnessed that could see it coming. Its why every time there is a shooting, they go back and look for mental issues. They will find them and then they can write the story. In this shooting, the guy was fired, the guy was pissed off. IT HAPPENS EVERY DAY. Last week we fired a girl. She went out in the parking lot and poured coke and food all over another employees car. This ex-employee has been in jail for grand theft and assault 7 years (we found out after we fired her). Now if she comes back with a gun everybody going to say we should have seen it. Well, I say no. People are fired every day. Many don't take it well. A large percentage of those have mental issues. A very small, infinitesimally small, number shoot people as a result.

When somebody who believes they know better than you, they will do whatever they can to impose their belief on you. They will do so by hook or by crook. It happens with healthcare, its happening with energy, its happening with the environment-whether we are talking global warming or the EPA. Most know that when it comes to the 2nd amendment that I'm not a gun advocate by any stretch. I don't own a gun, never will. But what I am is observant. And if you give the government an inch they will take it a mile. Anybody who believes otherwise hasn't been paying attention
    Last edited by Doc; 08-28-2015 at 06:25 AM.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Doc,

Very well said.

When somebody who believes they know better than you, they will do whatever they can to impose their belief on you. They will do so by hook or by crook. It happens with healthcare, its happening with energy, its happening with the environment-whether we are talking global warming or the EPA. Most know that when it comes to the 2nd amendment that I'm not a gun advocate by any stretch. I don't own a gun, never will. But what I am is observant. And if you give the government an inch they will take it a mile. Anybody who believes otherwise hasn't been paying attention