Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: OK, don't laugh at me. Sony SR-100 camcorder

OK, don't laugh at me. Sony SR-100 camcorder

I bought my camcorder in November 2006. It has been a workhorse, and have probably recorded 20 full-length plays and musicals, together with graduation ceremonies, parties, sporting events, etc.

I GUESS I ought to retire it, but I a) am frugal - that's the right word, not cheap, and b)it still works exceptionally well. I have recorded 5 recent 90-minute soccer matches, all on the original battery, and in two cases, just having about 100 minutes to recharge the battery between matches, and haven't lost a minute.

The quality is fine attached to a computer, but burned to a DVD with Windows movie maker, the players are a little fuzzy on a television. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make the best quality action video DVDs possible with this camcorder?

I'm videoing games and giving them to Samford's head coach and his editing people are using them for instructional purposes for the (youth) team members. I'm embarrassed by the poor quality, although high definition isn't required for his teaching points on shape, formation, defending, etc.

Any help?

Secondary question is if anyone has a recommendation for a high quality, low price camcorder that can burn to DVDs that will look great on TV.

Re: OK, don't laugh at me. Sony SR-100 camcorder

FWIW, my son just came by, and I asked him the question. He laughed at me.

I promise not to laugh at oyu if you promise not to laugh at my JVC GR-D750.
    Are you doing the transfer with a firewire cord or simply a USB cord?

Believe it or not it made a difference with mine...just a thought my fellow luddite.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

When you play attached to a computer, explain to me how that works. USB type connection, then play right from the camcorder as a file?

Firewire can definitely help if that's an option, but if the computer sees it as a file then the issue may be in the burning.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

No, I'm not using firewire. It's a mini (not micro--this was 2006, remember) USB cable out from the camcorder to the computer. The computer recognizes it as another hard drive and I just copy the files over.

I may have time tonight or if not, Sunday, to look at it again and may be able to give better details--thanks for not laughing, and asking the questions, guys. Hang on with me, and I'll post later tonight, or over the weekend. I'll record another game Saturday in Huntsville and have another chance to take a look at what I'm doing Sunday, too.

Funny thing--just for a lark (cause I'm really not spending money if I can help it), I took a look at some site's "top 10 camcorders" for 2015. The # 2 one was a Sony camcorder. In reading the review, one "con" it had was keeping up with motion, and it mentioned that if you were recording your son's soccer game, that it would be sharp toward the ends, but blurry in the middle.

It reminded me of that comedy bit where Ron White talks about the TV evangelist says "are you sitting on a beanbag chair, naked, eating cheetos?" lol.

The # 1 one was a Canon that was $400. Less than 1/2 price old technology, and vastly superior to what I have now. Really looked good. Sigh.

Not laughing at you at all, sir.
    The GR-D750 is very much contemporary, though not as nice as the Sony SR-100, I do believe.
    Mine still does the job and the firewire made a big difference in my transfers.
    I too am a "thrifty fellow" and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it is broke, can it be fixed.
    Chuck, on he other hand, is probably the more reliable source here when it comes to all things techie...
    Last edited by BigBluePappy; 08-20-2015 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added linkages as an afterthought...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Thanks, Pappy. I'm not in the habit of rooting for something bad to happen to my camcorder just so I can upgrade, but I really don't want to buy something new yet. Maybe a Christmas present, I dunno.

So if you copy the file and play it on the computer it's fine, but when you burn it it's not so great? Am I understanding the situation?
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Yes, very clear mpg files. Plays nicely, crisp, clear on a 24" monitor. But when I burn it to DVD, and put it on, say, a 40" TV, it's blurry.

I think the transfer is fine. It's something I'm doing in the burning process, or the DVD, or the TV. The computer recognizes the camcorder hard drive as a hard drive, and it's a regular digital copy of the exact file. I think.

Bombino

OK, don't laugh at me. Sony SR-100 camcorder

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Yes, very clear mpg files. Plays nicely, crisp, clear on a 24" monitor. But when I burn it to DVD, and put it on, say, a 40" TV, it's blurry.

I think the transfer is fine. It's something I'm doing in the burning process, or the DVD, or the TV. The computer recognizes the camcorder hard drive as a hard drive, and it's a regular digital copy of the exact file. I think.
    If it plays fine as an mpeg file, then the problem is in the transcoding for dvd. My guess, there is a setting in your software that is not correct. Either try new software or look for settings in your program to improve quality.

Though keep in mind, dvds are limited to 480p resolution. I'm assuming that's not the issue since you would notice other DVDs are blurry too.

I think I'll go buy a bigger stack of DVDs, and then just try out different software, different settings this weekend and see if something works. It's still not high def, but it's clear. Gotta get to that point for the TV, too.

What are you using to encode/burn?

I'm not even sure I know enough to answer the question.

Windows Movie Maker allows you to make a project. Easy-peasy. You just drop the .mpeg files in the order you want them. If you want to add a title page, or captions, or closing credits, you do it. If you want to block out the sound (I do for child soccer games--eliminate wind noise, and stupid parents, me included, and our comments), you turn the volume to zero. Easy stuff like that. Could put in a sound track, and they make that part as easy to follow as possible for idiots like me.

THEN when you're done, it asks you to save the movie.

I've tried this two different ways.

a) For high definition display (1080p)

b) Burn a DVD (that's the most common one I've used)

When I save it as "Burn a DVD," it saves the whole project as "Windows Media Video File," and uses the computers DVD burner to burn a DVD. It takes a long time to do a 90-minute game. I don't really know what it's doing then.

I'll try tomorrow if I have time. I *may* video today's game (we play in Huntsville at 2:30, but return to an engagement party for someone I used to coach in basketball -- in YMCA ball pre-school. Man, I am OLD.)

I haven't had a chance to upload the new video yet and play around with it.