Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Funny sayings people get wrong

Funny sayings people get wrong

Saw a new one tonight. Rather than call something a "bunk bed," they called it a "buck bed."

Wonder if there is a "doe bed" that goes along with it?

And does it go with the "Chester drawers" 8 the bedroom?

What are some you've heard?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I overheard s lady ask her server if a salad came with all of the dinner entries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: Funny sayings people get wrong

People always say, "it's a MUTE point," instead of moot point.

I could care less about this thread. Irreguardless of what others think, it's rediculous
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

See, this could of been a good thread...

How's about submitting it in a vanilla envelope/foeder

Last edited by blueboss; 08-09-2015 at 04:29 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    How's about submitting it in a vanilla envelope

Yeah, that'd be a blessing in the skies.

Oh, and throw in some sort of affidavid for solid proof. I think I have a touch of old-timer's disease.

signed..
    Bob Wire
    Last edited by kingcat; 08-08-2015 at 06:35 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

"Could care less" is a great one Doc, that one's so common it made Weird Al's song "Word Crimes".

he has several in there, including the incorrect use of the word "literally".
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I'm sure you lawyer type have heard of the Statues of Limitations

At work, I get them all the time. My favorite is Kennel cough which is caused by Bordetella and something we vaccinate for. It is often referred to by clients as bordello which is somthing totally different!
    Last edited by Doc; 08-08-2015 at 08:31 PM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by elicat View Post
    See, this could of been a good thread...
    love that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I'm sure you lawyer type have heard of the Statues of Limitations

At work, I get them all the time. My favorite is Kennel cough which is caused by Bordetella and something we vaccinate for. It is often referred to by clients as bordello which is somthing totally different!
    Good one!

I overheard s lady ask her server if a salad came with all of the dinner entries.

haven't heard that one, but I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    Yeah, that'd be a blessing in the skies.

Oh, and throw in some sort of affidavid for solid proof. I think I have a touch of old-timer's disease.

signed..
    Bob Wire
    Affidavid is one I've heard a long time, but never really focused on.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    "Could care less" is a great one Doc, that one's so common it made Weird Al's song "Word Crimes".

he has several in there, including the incorrect use of the word "literally".
    People love to get all worked up, as if the opposite meaning of literally are a new thing. Literally has been used to mean figuratively for almost as long as as it has been used to mean literally. Since the 1700s, literally has been used to mean figuratively. This is not a new phenomenon.

Even the concept of a word having two diametrically opposite meanings is not unique. Oversight can mean to watch to prevent errors or an error that was missed. Dust can mean to remove dust (what you do to your house) our to add dust (what you do to crops/plants). Bad can mean something negative or it can mean something top notch (he's one bad guitar player).

Literally is following a similar path to the word very. Which used to mean truthful, real or genuine (same root as the Latin word veritas) but became an adverb intensifier. Other words have done this as well. For example: absolutely, really, totally, etc.

On top of that, the word definitely is beginning to follow a similar trajectory. With a figurative usage actually meaning it's opposite. I definitely

So getting bothered by the way literally is being used is a bit pointless because history shows that not only is it a valid and common definition almost since conception of the word but it is following a pathway that has historical precedent.

You've got another thing coming.

He died of prostrate cancer
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    People love to get all worked up, as if the opposite meaning of literally are a new thing. Literally has been used to mean figuratively for almost as long as as it has been used to mean literally. Since the 1700s, literally has been used to mean figuratively. This is not a new phenomenon.

Even the concept of a word having two diametrically opposite meanings is not unique. Oversight can mean to watch to prevent errors or an error that was missed. Dust can mean to remove dust (what you do to your house) our to add dust (what you do to crops/plants). Bad can mean something negative or it can mean something top notch (he's one bad guitar player).

Literally is following a similar path to the word very. Which used to mean truthful, real or genuine (same root as the Latin word veritas) but became an adverb intensifier. Other words have done this as well. For example: absolutely, really, totally, etc.

On top of that, the word definitely is beginning to follow a similar trajectory. With a figurative usage actually meaning it's opposite. I definitely

So getting bothered by the way literally is being used is a bit pointless because history shows that not only is it a valid and common definition almost since conception of the word but it is following a pathway that has historical precedent.

Sounds like when people bring their pets to me for a "worming". No, they bring it for a DEWORMING.

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Sounds like when people bring their pets to me for a "worming". No, they bring it for a DEWORMING.
    You just reminded me. Every job I've been employed at has had "sexual harassment training". Pretty sure they aren't training me to be a better sexual harasser.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    You've got another thing coming.

You just reminded me. Every job I've been employed at has had "sexual harassment training". Pretty sure they aren't training me to be a better sexual harasser.
    Winner. Yes, I've been trained in that area, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Winner. Yes, I've been trained in that area, too.

We've all been trained in that area, it's called elementary school. So long as it ends with claiming the other sex has cooties I think it's pretty benign.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

An observation which is off topic but nevertheless perplexing.

Why in the world are they still stocking toothpaste on the shelves that's not "extra whitening" ? Is there a point when you've used too much extra whitening toothpaste and your teeth are too white and you need to go with the regular toothpaste to tone them down? (This quandary does not apply to Hoosiers they need extra pink for their gums).

For all intensive purposes, this thread is defanately over.

Bombino

An observation which is off topic but nevertheless perplexing.

Why in the world are they still stocking toothpaste on the shelves that's not "extra whitening" ? Is there a point when you've used too much extra whitening toothpaste and your teeth are too white and you need to go with the regular toothpaste to tone them down? (This quandary does not apply to Hoosiers they need extra pink for their gums).

Whitening toothpastes can cause excessive sensitivity with continuous use. While I am not one that is prone to it, I have known some others that if they used a whitening toothpaste more than a few weeks, their teeth became very sensitive and painful. Cessation of use resulted in the sensitivity going away.

Whitening toothpastes can cause excessive sensitivity with continuous use. While I am not one that is prone to it, I have known some others that if they used a whitening toothpaste more than a few weeks, their teeth became very sensitive and painful. Cessation of use resulted in the sensitivity going away.
    I read something about the sensitivity, that's why I use Sensodine Extra Whitening which is right next to the regular Synsodine

Heavy stuff my brothers!

Anyway, in the words of Bob Dylan.."These ants are my friends, they’re blowin’ in the wind"

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

I'll have to put that one away in my chesterdrawers

I'll have to put that one away in my chesterdrawers

Chester always was a crazy dude. I wonder if he goes by Chet? You know..the one who roasted nuts on an open fire every Christmas.

All a fair argument, but you're questioning Weird Al, and I'm pretty sure that's a crime, at least for us geeks.

No doubt words evolve, and often take on different and even opposite meanings, but only through what is technically a misuse of the word that just catches on, often as slang or for emphasis. Your example of "bad" is a great one in that way. I'm old enough to remember when that was still in transition, at least that's how I remember it as a kid.

But with "literally" i see it as more of a misuse due to not knowing the definition than the application of a word to be cool or hip or whatever. It's definitely being used as you describe, but I'm with Weird Al that it's just b/c people don't know what it means.

It's twenty till twelve

Bombino

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    All a fair argument, but you're questioning Weird Al, and I'm pretty sure that's a crime, at least for us geeks.

No doubt words evolve, and often take on different and even opposite meanings, but only through what is technically a misuse of the word that just catches on, often as slang or for emphasis. Your example of "bad" is a great one in that way. I'm old enough to remember when that was still in transition, at least that's how I remember it as a kid.

But with "literally" i see it as more of a misuse due to not knowing the definition than the application of a word to be cool or hip or whatever. It's definitely being used as you describe, but I'm with Weird Al that it's just b/c people don't know what it means.
    Weird Al aside I think the definition not only has already changed, it changed LONG LONG ago. As such, I believe that people DO understand BOTH meanings and which of them is being used at the time. The meaning is clearly indicated via context and I have yet to hear a person use literal in the figurative way when the meant in the direct way.