Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Love Him Or Hate Him, Matt Jones Is The Best UK "Insider" There Is

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Love Him Or Hate Him, Matt Jones Is The Best UK "Insider" There Is

Darryl

Re: Love Him Or Hate Him, Matt Jones Is The Best UK "Insider" There Is

you may be right...

Amazing this stayed under wraps....

Sort of our version of Hyman Roth.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

I have told this story before, but love repeating myself I had lunch with Matt a couple of times during and right after he was in Law school down here at Duke. Back then, I was traveling nearly every weekend following recruiting. I hooked Matt up with a couple of local contacts down here. The one thing I remember most about Matt was his confidence. You can call it arrogance if you want, but say what you want, the dude could take a small story and make it huge. The one thing you can't say is that he is not well connected. Some insiders love him, some hate him. My buddy with the Washington post loves him, but many here locally in NC can't stand him. I hope to retire in a few years and start hitting the recruiting trail again like a use to. Matt is a guy I want in my corner when I do so.....love him or hate him, he is one of "our" best!!!

Peace

Richard (CW)

I'm convinced he and Cal talk regularly, whenever Cal needs something out there, whether to temper and take on the haters, or to calm the BBN Matt always does it. Jmo of course.

Right. And if he's telling the truth, he's reliable.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 08-01-2015 at 11:33 AM.

Often give good info, has a radio show that entertains me at work, and (most importantly to me), never misses a chance to publicly humiliate UofL.

Good enough for me.

I love the U of L fans hate him so much and that he has such a huge presence in their city. He is an arrogant, goofy, basketball centric opportunist but he definitely knows some stuff. But only what Cal wants him to know.

I really don't care for his arrogance, smugness, and condescension. He is never WRONG about any topic. He very well appears to be plugged in at this time at least in terms of recruiting. I sometimes listen to his show, but I don't take everything he says as GOSPEL.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Right. And if he's telling the truth, he's generally reliable.
    Fixed
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I'm a huge fan of his and have been for a long time. He's worked really hard to create a brand that's only good for UK sports. There's nobody else like him, in terms of being aligned with a university sports team. There's a reason why he's trusted and has become that top insider.

If he keeps scoring the ratings that he gets, he's going to get paid like Cal too. Considering it all really started with a blog is pretty remarkable.

When he is definitive one way or the other I always pay attention, when he is wishy washy likely means Cal or the staff have not told him yet. Seriously, I think Cal has him on retainer.

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBird View Post
    When he is definitive one way or the other I always pay attention, when he is wishy washy likely means Cal or the staff have not told him yet. Seriously, I think Cal has him on retainer.
    More like on a leash.

:
    Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
    More like on a leash.
    I like it. I agree, but I do believe Cal is his puppet master.

Unforgettable

I'm convinced he and Cal talk regularly, whenever Cal needs something out there, whether to temper and take on the haters, or to calm the BBN Matt always does it. Jmo of course.
    Not from what I understand on the talking part. From what I was told Cal can't stand him. And I will take Larry V over Matt Jones every day of the week because Larry actually investigates before he runs his mouth unlike Jones

:

I like it. I agree, but I do believe Cal is his puppet master.
    There is a good reason he is basically on UK's payroll with his minor gig on the game time radio shows. That gives Coach and the U a good bit of control over what is said and when.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    I'm a huge fan of his and have been for a long time. He's worked really hard to create a brand that's only good for UK sports. There's nobody else like him, in terms of being aligned with a university sports team. There's a reason why he's trusted and has become that top insider. If he keeps scoring the ratings that he gets, he's going to get paid like Cal too. Considering it all really started with a blog is pretty remarkable.
    It all REALLY started here on one of the versions of this site with these people. his "KSR" and THIS "KSR" dontcha know?

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    It all REALLY started here on one of the versions of this site with these people. his "KSR" and THIS "KSR" dontcha know?
    Yep, he made his bones swiping info from the folks here or at the prior site [actually the one before that]. Not me, I'm clueless, but the guys who actually know stuff. He was still swiping info a few years ago. Just because he doesn't really have to now doesn't mean he's connected per se. He knows what he's been let to know.

I never forget.

Matt Jones personifies the Win at all costs, end justifies the means mantra. If yor,re an admirer of this type of ethical behavior then you ll like Matt Jones

If he keeps scoring the ratings that he gets, he's going to get paid like Cal too.
    Stu, what makes you think, in ANY Universe anywhere for any reason, that a local sports talk radio guy would EVER make the sort of money that Coach Calipari makes?

Don't get me wrong, he's probably getting REALLY good money NOW, but Coach is in a different stratosphere. JMO.
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

Unforgettable

I'm a huge fan of his and have been for a long time. He's worked really hard to create a brand that's only good for UK sports. There's nobody else like him, in terms of being aligned with a university sports team. There's a reason why he's trusted and has become that top insider.

If he keeps scoring the ratings that he gets, he's going to get paid like Cal too. Considering it all really started with a blog is pretty remarkable.
    There is people like him at every school all over the country, he is no different than any other hustler. And he won't ever make what Cal makes
    Started with a blog???? he started by stealing information and using it as his own and screwing those who started this sight.
    You really need to get facts straight.

He definitely has found his way to the top of the inner core of UK athletics. Only one in his strata is Tom Leach. But again look at my above post. I just can't respect the way he's gotten there. Even he said today that he regrets some of his behavior at the beginning of his rise. Some of those same people that he hurt on the way up, he'll see on his way down

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Of course I know, I was there too.

Still, no denying his accomplishments, and I'm sure his bank account will reflect that for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
    Stu, what makes you think, in ANY Universe anywhere for any reason, that a local sports talk radio guy would EVER make the sort of money that Coach Calipari makes?

Don't get me wrong, he's probably getting REALLY good money NOW, but Coach is in a different stratosphere. JMO.
    Advertising. His show gets Howard Stern type ratings, and while it's just regional today, he has dreams of going national. Now, I'm not saying that he's going to reach a Stern, Limbaugh, Beck type level, but there's significant dollars being earned in radio.

Howard Stern is wrapping up his 2nd 5yr/$500 million contract and can easily get a third one, and he's on satellite radio. It's all based on advertising reach. I'm in the digital advertising industry and the sums of advertising dollars being committed to the digital landscape is insane, and Jones has a very popular website and is ahead of the curve in that area too.

I don't think it's out of the question to think that he could be making millions per year very soon, if he's not already.

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    There is people like him at every school all over the country, he is no different than any other hustler. And he won't ever make what Cal makes
    Started with a blog???? he started by stealing information and using it as his own and screwing those who started this sight.
    You really need to get facts straight.

There's nobody at any school that does what he does with the reach that he has. With the type of traffic that his website has, advertising dollars are at a premium. With the share that his radio program has, same thing.

I'm not saying that he's making what Cal is making today, but he's certainly positioned himself well to exceed what Cal makes.

What facts do I have wrong? Did he not start a blog? I made no mention of how he got his content.
    Last edited by StuBleedsBlue2; 08-01-2015 at 05:19 PM.

He must love to come lurking around here and see this type of post and discussion.

I'll give him credit for one thing, though. That one post he made toward the end of his time among us where he blew up on Duke and K with things he had observed when he was in law school... that was priceless. I copied and pasted it into a document to keep, but now of course I can't find it.

Advertising. His show gets Howard Stern type ratings, and while it's just regional today, he has dreams of going national. Now, I'm not saying that he's going to reach a Stern, Limbaugh, Beck type level, but there's significant dollars being earned in radio.

Howard Stern is wrapping up his 2nd 5yr/$500 million contract and can easily get a third one, and he's on satellite radio. It's all based on advertising reach. I'm in the digital advertising industry and the sums of advertising dollars being committed to the digital landscape is insane, and Jones has a very popular website and is ahead of the curve in that area too.

I don't think it's out of the question to think that he could be making millions per year very soon, if he's not already.
    I defer to your knowledge of what he might be making locally, but was not getting that you were getting at a national gig, but that only reflects how little I pay attention to him. Hear his radio show, bits and pieces, before some games, but only if I am out in the car getting groceries or something, lol, so it's funny to me how big something can be without me having the first clue JUST how big it has become.

Interesting thoughts. Thanks.
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
    [b]I defer to your knowledge of what he might be making locally[b], but was not getting that you were getting at a national gig, but that only reflects how little I pay attention to him. Hear his radio show, bits and pieces, before some games, but only if I am out in the car getting groceries or something, lol, so it's funny to me how big something can be without me having the first clue JUST how big it has become.

Interesting thoughts. Thanks.
    He just signed a 3 year deal with IHeart Radio, owned by Clear Channel communications, so that's on top of what he's making locally. He's on the cusp of making it really big. His dabbles into politics doesn't hurt him either. He's a student of success, so those that want to begrudge him for things that happened in the past should take comfort in that he's always surrounded himself with the best to advance himself.

Moving on to other thoughts...

If all of us on this board were trying to compete with where he was going, I could understand the animosity. However, he took it way beyond any intent that we've all stuck around for this community discussion has provided.

Isn't that the capitalistic way?

For those that still want to hold the grudge for an opportunistic 20-something who may have shared some inside info or maybe might have been an A-hole on his path, the first thing I say is who wasn't an A-hole in their 20's? Second, this isn't the music industry where people can take you to court for hearing something and making something of it too.

However, on that note, is that a battle to fight today, given the value that he's adding to the BBN?