Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Budget Bourbon? We've discussed your favorite bourbons already

Budget Bourbon? We've discussed your favorite bourbons already

We've discussed your high end favorites before.

What about the low end? What do you drink as an "acceptable," budget type bourbon?

I have a couple that I don't think are gut-rot that are very affordable. I'll add mine to your suggestions.

Re: Budget Bourbon? We've discussed your favorite bourbons already

Jim Beam Black, Old Fitzgerald, Evan Williams Black Label, and Four Roses Yellow Label are all right at $20.00, or less per fifth and are not bad enough to have a guest throw the drink back at you even if they are a bourbon snob.

None of them are as smooth and mellow as many of the pricier bourbons, but they make a passable drink on the rocks or in a cocktail imo
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Jim Beam White, George Dickel, my dad liked Very Old Barton, which means so did I 😏

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I'm not sure what one considers as budget bourbon. There are one that give you the best bang for the buck. Wellers is without a doubt the best value because I'd consider it a high end bourbon yet still not an expensive one. Typically under $20.00
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Buffalo Trace

BT might be a budget buster for Darrell.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Pink Pagan Ripple is a budget buster for Darrell.

You know how copper wire was invented? Darrell found a penny half stuck in a change machine.

Let me offer everyone my #1 rule of living: life is too short for cheap booze or cheap toilet paper.

That said, you can get away with less than uber expensive booze, you just have to find underrated brands. Can't help on bourbon, but Three Brothers tequila isn't too bad and there are a couple of cheaper vodkas that are good.
    Last edited by CitizenBBN; 07-29-2015 at 07:14 PM.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Everybody's definition may differ, but I like the $20 limit for 750ml myself. Of course, that's good company bourbon. Mine may fall a lot below that .

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Everybody's definition may differ, but I like the $20 limit for 750ml myself. Of course, that's good company bourbon. Mine may fall a lot below that .

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    May want to just switch to vodka. You can get a pretty good vodka for that price.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Jim Beam White, George Dickel, my dad liked Very Old Barton, which means so did I ��

I've got a 5th of Barton at home right now. Won it in a liquor cooler drawing at a softball tournament. I've been pondering the thought of giving it to one of my best friend's son....he's 21 now, and like most 21 year olds, he and his friends have no liquor scruples.
    "It's a mere moment in a man's life between an All-Star Game and an Old-Timers Game." - Vin Scully

Bombino

If your state allows liquor sales at Costco. Then they usually have a 1.75 liter bottle of Knob Creek for around $40. This comes out to less than $20 / 750 ml. If you don't mind going for the Kirkland brand which supposedly is a Buffalo Trace variant, you can usually get a 1.75 for about $28. I find Kirkland brand to be pretty decent but a bit spicy. Unfortunately if Costco doesn't sell liquor where you're at then you are SOL.

As an aside, the Kirkland European vodka, not to be confused with the American vodka, is actually Grey Goose. A 1.75 liter is often only $20, making this one of the best deals on vodka out there. There's no way you're going to find Grey Goose for cheaper.

Also in most states you do not need a membership to Costco as long as you're only purchasing alcohol or going to the pharmacy. You can't purchase anything else at the same time otherwise it will require a membership, but purchasing only alcohol you usually are able to do that easily. The cashier is on the other hand might not be familiar with this so you might have to call a manager but that's the extent of the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    If your state allows liquor sales at Costco. Then they usually have a 1.75 liter bottle of Knob Creek for around $40. This comes out to less than $20 / 750 ml. If you don't mind going for the Kirkland brand which supposedly is a Buffalo Trace variant, you can usually get a 1.75 for about $28. I find Kirkland brand to be pretty decent but a bit spicy. Unfortunately if Costco doesn't sell liquor where you're at then you are SOL.

As an aside, the Kirkland European vodka, not to be confused with the American vodka, is actually Grey Goose. A 1.75 liter is often only $20, making this one of the best deals on vodka out there. There's no way you're going to find Grey Goose for cheaper.

Also in most states you do not need a membership to Costco as long as you're only purchasing alcohol or going to the pharmacy. You can't purchase anything else at the same time otherwise it will require a membership, but purchasing only alcohol you usually are able to do that easily. The cashier is on the other hand might not be familiar with this so you might have to call a manager but that's the extent of the hassle.
    Ha. Alabama has state owned alcohol stores, which are the lowest by law
    the Knob Creek you mentioned would be about $70 here.

It pays to go to Georgia and stock up, even for people like me who do not drink much, and entertain less.

Weller by the big bottle or Evan Williams single barrel then. Bourbon is expensive in MT state liquor stores, too. But one must sacrifice. I can drink so little now it might as well be good.

We usually go with Jim Beam. Last Christmas we got some Trader Joe's brand because we knew we'd mainly be using it for bourbon balls. That's about all it's good for, or maybe mixing with egg nog.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Rupp's Runt

Back around the holidays I purchased a bottle of Jim Beam Devil's Cut. Not bad at all, and not too pricey. The flavor actually is pretty similiar in taste to Makers Mark.
    MOLON LABE!

That's a good point, and applies equally to me.

I was given a 1.75L bottle of Old Forester by a non-drinking friend, who was given a bottle by somebody that ran over his mailbox who didn't know him. I had heard that it was a pretty good "budget" bourbon. I've been drinking it, off and on, since it was given to me, but I expected more based on what some said about it. I note that nobody here mentioned it, which I think is telling.

Side note--why would a guy make a gift of that, rather than spend the same money for a top quality 750ml bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Weller by the big bottle or Evan Williams single barrel then. Bourbon is expensive in MT state liquor stores, too. But one must sacrifice. I can drink so little now it might as well be good.

Just to give you an idea of some of the prices (these are the lowest prices allowed by law in Alabama), this is what I'd pay for a few items, at an ABC store (lowest prices):

Woodford Reserve, 750ml -- $35
    Knob Creek, 750ml -- $35
    Maker's Mark, 750ml -- $30
    Jim Beam, 750ml (4 yr) -- $16
    Buffalo Trace, 750ml -- $25
    Four Roses Yellow Label, 750ml -- $20
    Jim Beam Black, 750ml -- $24

+1 on the Devil's Cut.
    I love that stuff, chilled to just about freezing, sipping it slowly while watching the waves roll in and out with Grammy in L.A.
    Anytime else, it is Black Label Beam for me...

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Back around the holidays I purchased a bottle of Jim Beam Devil's Cut. Not bad at all, and not too pricey. The flavor actually is pretty similiar in taste to Makers Mark.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Jim Beam White, George Dickel, my dad liked Very Old Barton, which means so did I ��

Ahem!! One of those you listed is a damn Tennessee whiskey.
    Evan Williams 1783 is nice for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Just to give you an idea of some of the prices (these are the lowest prices allowed by law in Alabama), this is what I'd pay for a few items, at an ABC store (lowest prices):

Woodford Reserve, 750ml -- $35
    Knob Creek, 750ml -- $35
    Maker's Mark, 750ml -- $30
    Jim Beam, 750ml (4 yr) -- $16
    Buffalo Trace, 750ml -- $25
    Four Roses Yellow Label, 750ml -- $20
    Jim Beam Black, 750ml -- $24

I picked up a 750 ml of Buffalo Trace today for 24.99 for my pain surgeon. Did a branch block on me yesterday and it worked (was able to sit on the toilet for more than 5 minutes today!-sometimes the smallest things in life really are important) so I told him if it did I'd sping for a bottle for him when he does my rhizotomy in a couple weeks. Nothing like walking into a surgery center carrying a bottle of bourbon for your surgeon!
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

I believe I would wait and give it to him on the way out.
    seeya
    dan

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Buffalo Trace

Eagle rare

Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
    Eagle rare

Budget? Are you on a Congressional Budget?
    Last edited by Doc; 08-03-2015 at 01:01 PM.

Eagle rare is $32/750ml here. I'd maybe stretch my idea of "budget" to Buffalo Trace for $25, but was trying to couch it in the $20 range.

Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
    Eagle rare
    Cheers!

Darrell's budget

If they don't charge for the bag...
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Darrell's budget

In KY it is a state law that the liquor must be bagged before it leaves he store. Beer goes unbagged, but not the liquor.
    seeya
    dan