Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Kauai, HI experts: need advice

Kauai, HI experts: need advice

We're considering a trip to Kauai, HI next summer. Where should we stay (which town?) and what are the things you recommend we do?

Also, do you recommend an inter-island visit to Maui? I've been to Oahu and Hawaii, but not Maui.

Thanks!
    David

We have been to Maui and the big island, Hawaii.

Maui is worth it. But you could probably say that about all the islands.

Look up the Road to Hana. I drove it in a rented jeep, but if I ever have a chance to do it again, I will let a tour van take me. More than 600 curves and 54 bridges, and the most incredible scenery I've ever experienced. Go to YouTube and I'm sure there will be some videos.

Somewhat scary drive in places. I was young and stupid then, but would relax and let a guide do it. It's a full day just to do that.

Re: Kauai, HI experts: need advice

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    We have been to Maui and the big island, Hawaii.

Maui is worth it. But you could probably say that about all the islands.

Look up the Road to Hana. I drove it in a rented jeep, but if I ever have a chance to do it again, I will let a tour van take me. More than 600 curves and 54 bridges, and the most incredible scenery I've ever experienced. Go to YouTube and I'm sure there will be some videos.

Somewhat scary drive in places. I was young and stupid then, but would relax and let a guide do it. It's a full day just to do that.
    Thanks, D. I'll check it out. I remember another friend telling me about it as well some time ago.

Rupp's Runt

My cousin, retired U.S. Marine and now a born-again minister, lives in Kurtistown, HI. His wife is a native born Hawaiian and also a retired U. S. Marine. Both of them have told me to avoid all of the bigger, more common "tourist traps" altogether and to go see the sights that would be considered to be "Old Hawaii". Said you'll see a lot more of "the real Hawaii" by doing that.
    Now, how you'd exactly do that I am not sure as that is about as far as we got into that conversation before he changed the subject to his battles with the VA and helping his fellow Vietnam combat vets.
    Last edited by suncat05; 07-20-2015 at 11:30 AM. Reason: changed misspelled word
    MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    My cousin, retired U.S. Marine and now a born-again minister, lives in Kurtistown, HI. His wife is a native born Hawaiian and also a retired U. S. Marine. Both of them have told me to avoid all of the bigger, more common "tourist traps" altogether and to go see the sights that would be considered to be "Old Hawaii". Said you'll see a lot more of "the real Hawaii" by doing that.
    Now, how you'd exactly do that I am not sure as that is about as far as we got into that conversation before he changed the subject to his battles with the VA and helping his fellow Vietnam combat vets.
    Thanks! I'll see what I can find out.

Went to Maui and Honolulu about 30 years ago (man I'm old).

One thing that won't have changed and was the highlight of my trip: going to the top of Haleakala on Maui. We went up early one morning, took 2-3 hours to drive it, but when we got there we were above the cloud line. We stood there looking DOWN on the clouds as they went past the island and then came into the collapsed side of the crater. That was just too cool, standing on the ground looking down at the clouds. I'm sure there are other places you can do that even in the US mainland, but I really enjoyed it.
    Last edited by CitizenBBN; 07-21-2015 at 09:17 PM.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

November -1st week December 1986 here. How close were you to then?
    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Went to Maui and Honolulu about 30 years ago (man I'm old).

One thing that won't have changed and was the highlight of my trip: going to the top of Haleakala on Maui. We went up early one morning, took 2-3 hours to drive it, but when we got there we were above the cloud line. We stood there looking DOWN on the clouds as they went past the island and then came into the collapsed side of the crater. That was just too cool, standing on the ground looking down at the clouds. I'm sure there are other places you can do that even in the US, but I really enjoyed it.

My experience in Kauai involved extremely cheap lodging at a friend's place while said friend visited the Mainland for a few weeks, so I am no help on lodging other than my memory says that Princeville had the overpriced "luxury" hotel, although I am sure there are other places like that too.

Kauai is the "cool" Hawaiian island to some folks because it is the "local's island". I really liked that and felt it was more interesting to interact with a higher percentage of actual Hawaiians.

Two things about that... there is a VERY strong political vibe on Kauai that CAN be pro-seccesionist... not that such a thing has much traction or that most locals are "angry" or anti-USA, just that, inevitably, some Hawaiians were going to grow weary of tourist nonsense and want a place that is more "theirs". The other thing is that, as long as you are cool to the locals, exhibit some interest in their culture beyond the legacy of Jack Lord and you will have a great time. Included in what Kauai is serious about is environmentalism (more than a little necessary due to island parameters), their history (the oldest of the major islands), and a general down-to-earth sensibility. Not that you can't luxuriate in PLENTY of places on Kauai, just that it ain't bells and whistles everywhere like on Oahu.

There are plenty of hole in the wall "for locals' restaurants where you get that great pork without the tourist trap luau experience (read "rip-off"). There are incredible drives where you can see the mountains (calderas long since disappeared yielding the most beautiful terrain views in the entire state IMO), hikes, zip-lining, etc. The famous remote part of the island, the Na Pali Coast, where NOBODY can walk on the beach OR just go strolling into the jungle, has multiple options for viewing nonetheless. I had a tight budget, so I just drove up to the top of the interior edges and hiked around, looking out over the canyon and out to sea, but if I had the money and went back I would DEFINITELY take a sea or helicopter tour.

There are also an INCREDIBLE amount of great beaches, varying in landscape surrounding them, wave height for boarders (boogie and traditional surf, long and short boards), and likelihood of crowds. I went to a different beach almost every day for the first week or more, then returned to certain ones that I especially liked... there was a little spot that had consistently surfable wave action (meaning NOT like Cali or the East Coast.. think big, but fun), yet it was right along side a wicked undertow area... you will see plenty of warning signs about that in Kauai so pay CLOSE attention to them... I drifted a bit and ended up on the fringes of the warning area and it took a while to swim out of it (never swim AGAINST the current... always sideways OUT of it's flow), crawling back onto the beach like Robinson Crusoe with no lungs left, lol... there was a rather large "bay" type beach that had a lot of variety for surfing and also more calm stretches with lots of space to plot out your preference... here's a link so you can size 'em up for your moods because I can't remember any of the names and even the photos do poor justice to my memory:

http://www.kauai.com/beaches

Although I would love to visit any or all of the other islands, I am confident that Kauai is the best and am so glad I had a chance to relax AND have tons of fun there. You'll love it!!!
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

You cannot go wrong with any of the islands. But what CitizenBBN described, the road to Hana, and all of the experiences and visions you will remember for a lifetime. I still do, 29 years later. There is nothing like it.

We came close to going to K'aui too. My brother-in-law lived in Oahu, and really helped us decide what we would remember most. We were looking for the most memorable, most other worldly, most unforgettable places we could find.

K'aui is a place I wish I had visited. But would I have foregone volcano rims, lava, black sand beaches, green sand beaches, and the road to Hana? Not in seven lifetimes! We were only there 8 days, and it would have carved it up too much to go to three islands, so sadly, K'aui, the island with an edge, didn't make it. It was our third choice, which is to say it was the third A+ choice. I wish we had gone for 10 days when we had the chance.

Krank, Chuck and D, thanks! Lots of good info here. I appreciate it. If others have thoughts, please share.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    November -1st week December 1986 here. How close were you to then?
    Even further back than that, but dang close. Probably 83 or 84.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Unforgettable

David. We loved Maui, just beautiful. The road to Hana, take a tour van. Driving it will drive you crazy band take snacks, nothing to eat when you get there. At the top they have I think 7 small falls and you can get in. Neat little town also I think Lahaina, eat at one of the local places upstairs right above the street.
    We stayed at the Hyatt. Loved it. Oh us is ok. Big Island is beautiful
    Got a east Ky friend there that would be more than willing to help you out. Let me know
    And the pineapple,es, must have Mauii Golds, they are the sweetest, we brought back a case

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    David. We loved Maui, just beautiful. The road to Hana, take a tour van. Driving it will drive you crazy band take snacks, nothing to eat when you get there. At the top they have I think 7 small falls and you can get in. Neat little town also I think Lahaina, eat at one of the local places upstairs right above the street.
    We stayed at the Hyatt. Loved it. Oh us is ok. Big Island is beautiful
    Got a east Ky friend there that would be more than willing to help you out. Let me know
    And the pineapple,es, must have Mauii Golds, they are the sweetest, we brought back a case
    Thanks, Skip. Will keep that in mind.