Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Get your copy of Gone With The Wind while you still can

^Afraid you're right. Disney has shown a recent willingness to degrade the guest experience to meet the bottom line (see, e.g., the abomination that is FastPass+). But they're really no different than any of the other agencies and businesses caught up in this hysteria. They'll buckle to pressure, be it economic or political.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    ^Afraid you're right. Disney has shown a recent willingness to degrade the guest experience to meet the bottom line (see, e.g., the abomination that is FastPass+). But they're really no different than any of the other agencies and businesses caught up in this hysteria. They'll buckle to pressure, be it economic or political.
    We couldn't make Disney work this summer, but still interested, maybe for the Fall. What is so bad about the new fast pass plus? (Sorry for the hijack).

D, I could go on and on about it, but my main issues are:

--you can only get 3 (you can get a 4th after your using your 3, but by that time in the day there are rarely FPs available for the good attractions);

--you can't get multiples for an attraction (e.g., you can't 1 for Splash Mountain and 2 for Space Mountain);

--Epcot and Hollywood Studios have "tiering," which means you can only pick 1 from Tier A and 2 from Tier B. Their most popular attractions are in Tier A, so you can only get a FP for 1. For example, at Epcot Soarin and Test Track are both Tier A, so you're not getting FPs for both.

--They have software and an RFID chip on your ticket or wristband to book your FP ahead of time and enter at the attraction. It's a positive that you can book ahead of time, but the system is very glitchy. It can cause any number of problems, such as "misplacing" your FPs or getting the "Blue Mickey of Death" when you try to check in at the attraction, which is like getting a Blue Screen of Death on your computer. Doesn't happen very often, but when it does it really creates a hassle.

People seem to really like it or really hate it. The ones who love it like being able to book their FPs ahead of time and not having to be in the parks to do it. But I'm in the latter category. I had the old FP system down cold and could really maximize our usage, getting to do more things as a result. We find we do less with the new system, but we're still paying more. Funny how that works....
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 07-10-2015 at 11:39 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Thanks, that's a good description.

Actually I like their fast pass method. Far better than the other places where they sell my spot in line. You buy (Disney everybody is given the FP option) a fast pass and can cut to the front time and time again. Now they have limits but initially it was ridiculous. I'd fork out $1300 each for an annual pass and have to stand in line for 3 hours to ride once unless I threw down another 60 bucks each time we went. The way I see it, they are selling my spot in line and I'm getting no compensation. They are allowing people to cut in line, something that will get people thrown out of the park for doing, if the pay the park
    Last edited by Doc; 07-10-2015 at 02:10 PM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Disney removing that flag makes no sense. It's an historical fact on display as a point in history that we cannot change.

Were I someone who felt strong dislike of that image for those historical reasons, I'd want it to stay up rather than have us try to edit out that piece of history and forget it happened.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Total shocker. I would have never seen that coming (DWS). I understand the removal from a state capital. IMO the people of SC were idiots for putting it there. Had they not done that none of this would be happening. Now the barn door is open and the horses are out, don't look for this to stop any time soon.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Total shocker. I would have never seen that coming (DWS). I understand the removal from a state capital. IMO the people of SC were idiots for putting it there. Had they not done that none of this would be happening. Now the barn door is open and the horses are out, don't look for this to stop any time soon.
    Any reason to cause racial tension is being exploited and manipulated.

seeya
    dan

Thought of this thread when I saw this article:

New Orleans Begins Removing Confederate Monuments, Under Police Guard

New Orleans on Monday began removing four monuments dedicated to the era of the Confederacy and its aftermath, capping a prolonged battle about the future of the memorials, which critics deemed symbols of racism and intolerance and which supporters viewed as historically important.

Workers dismantled an obelisk, which was erected in 1891 to honor members of the “Crescent City White League” who in 1874 fought in the Reconstruction-era Battle of Liberty Place against the racially integrated New Orleans police and state militia, Mayor Mitch Landrieu said in a statement.

The monument, which was sometimes used as a rallying point by David Duke and the Ku Klux Klan, has stirred debate for decades. Local leaders unsuccessfully tried to remove it in 1981 and 1993.

The workers were dressed in flak jackets, helmets and scarves to conceal their identities because of concerns about their safety, The Associated Press reported. Police officers watched from a nearby hotel.

Pieces of the monument were put on a truck and hauled away.

Other monuments expected to be removed include a bronze statue of Gen. Robert E. Lee in a traffic circle, named Lee Circle, in the city’s central business district since 1884; an equestrian statue of P.G.T. Beauregard, a Confederate general, and one of Jefferson Davis, the president of the Confederacy.

Thought of this thread when I saw this article:

New Orleans Begins Removing Confederate Monuments, Under Police Guard
    I'm fine with the removal of the first one. To me that wasn't a part of "American history", however General Lee, Beauregard and Davis are all important people in American history

I'm fine with the removal of the first one. To me that wasn't a part of "American history", however General Lee, Beauregard and Davis are all important people in American history
    I guess I lean toward Doc's position. I can see both sides of all of this, so it frustrates me that I don't have a clear moral compass guiding me one way or the other.

Just an FYI, you can go to blu-ray.com and get GWTW in its original form.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I guess I lean toward Doc's position. I can see both sides of all of this, so it frustrates me that I don't have a clear moral compass guiding me one way or the other.
    I'm a little worried the Earth is ending b/c we all seem in agreement.

The first one I can see as being seen as supporting a particularly racist cause so I can see it coming down, but taking down statues of anything tied to the Confederacy and Louisiana's membership in it is just trying to erase history.

That is very disconcerting to me. It is the doom of men that they forget the lessons of history. It would seem to me that the surest way to insure a future round of racism is to try to get everyone to forget what racism looks like.

Our history is what it is, good and bad, and there has been good and bad in all of it and the history of everyone and everything. Leftists want to see it as all bad, and commit the same mistakes as we saw in the mid 20th Century educational films when everything in America was perfect and had always been perfect.

IMO that's part of how we see the current "identity politics" movement that is nothing but early 20th century racism made to sound all new and wonderful b/c it's not being proposed by old white men, but the positions are the same. If people actually knew about the Dixiecrats and Brown v Board of Education they might see it, but since the SCOTUS doesn't have many followers on their @LandMarkCourtDecisions twitter handle very few seem to see the parallels. lol
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

BTTT

This is probably going to start again. See the UK fresco story, for example.

Get your copy of Gone With The Wind while you still can

As I understand it, statues and symbols of the confederacy are being taken down and banished because it serves as reminders of the civil war, and slavery for which the war was fought for.

Based on that thinking shouldn’t all of the civil war reminders be taken down and banished, so as not to promote bad feelings? The union soldier memorials should be removed as well. The American Indians were literally wiped out by genocide which was carried out buy the union army. Grants tomb must be extremely offensive to the indigenous people of this country, just as the mascot names in sport are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Last edited by KSRBEvans; 06-10-2020 at 08:49 AM.

Amazon/Ebay/Walmart no longer selling items with Confederate symbols on them.

The Dukes of Hazard's General Lee no longer for sale since it has a Confederate symbol on it.

Apparently Apple pulls all Civil War games with Confederate imagery in them:

https://mobile.twitter.com/allahpund...3794513920?p=v

Who wants to bet GWTW (either in print or on film) won't go at some point? I won't.
    Very prescient of you.
    seeya
    dan

No kidding...I just went to Amazon kindle books and can (note- can, not did) download Mein Kampf. That would be the book by Adolph Hitler, the guy who wanted to wipe out the Jewish race, started a world war to attempt to achieve it, and successful exterminated over 6 million Jews.

Note...GWTW is available, cost 0.65. Hitlers is $11.00

Note...GWTW is available, cost 0.65. Hitlers is $11.00
    If you want to make sure you can keep it forever, get the physical book (or disc if you're talking about the movie). Amazon has shown in the past that the Kindle book they give, they can also take away.

Amazon Erases Orwell Books From Kindle

The physical will work for now. At least until the fire department hears about it and comes and burns you out. Just watch your telescreen and obey like a good citizen.

And if you don't think that's coming, I have bad news for you. Its just a matter of time now.

I think I would be within my rights to shoot an arsonist that was trying to burn down my home. That law may be changed and I would feel awfully bad about tapping a fireman, but he should feel bad enough beforehand to not strike the match.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I think I would be within my rights to shoot an arsonist that was trying to burn down my home. That law may be changed and I would feel awfully bad about tapping a fireman, but he should feel bad enough beforehand to not strike the match.
    Not if they were black, or female, or gay, or overwt, or handicapped (I forgot the "correct" term"---sorry, physically challenged), or anything not white male. Then it would be a hate crime

For clarity-that is a comment on "hate crimes" because I don't understand why a hate crime is worse. I mean if you kill somebody to steal their money its bad but not as bad as killing them because they are gay. Either way the person is dead so why is one worse? Dead is dead
    Last edited by Doc; 06-10-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Other movies headed to the chopping block

1) Shawshank Redemption which depicts a black man as a crimminal
    2) Blazzin Saddles-yikes
    3) Soul Man- OK, this one deserves it. Nothing like an entire movie based on blackface
    4) Bustin Loose
    5) And the Band Played On-at the 1:58:00 mark, Dr Francis (M. Modine) enters a cafe which has a Confederate flag on the wall (watched this tonight and am so offended I wont sleep tonight)
    Last edited by Doc; 06-25-2020 at 04:23 PM.

Disney is bending the knee, retheming Splash Mountain to a Princess And The Frog attraction:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-kingdom-park/

Anxiously awaiting Disney removing from The Hall of Presidents those former Presidents deemed to be problematic.

Disney is bending the knee, retheming Splash Mountain to a Princess And The Frog attraction:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-kingdom-park/

Anxiously awaiting Disney removing from The Hall of Presidents those former Presidents deemed to be problematic.
    I was thinking about that last night. Other Disney rides and movies under the microscope?? I can say a bunch of their films play into racial stereotypes. Aladdin and Mulan are two. And Pochohantus, although expect Liz Warren to battle for that one. Song of the South, which Splash Mountain is based on, is pretty much a racial blueprint. And what is up with those "Indians" in Peter Pan?

Apparently this was an issue PRIOR to the current climate (LINK). DUmbo learns to fly with the help of "JIM CROW".

This one is pretty good too.

If the "it happened before all this racism stuff came to a head" should work about all the statues hitting the pavement. Hell none of them have been created in 100 years.
    seeya
    dan

Interesting developments with Puffin bowdlerizing Roald Dahl's works, and now the Ian Fleming/James Bond novels:

https://twitter.com/pmarca/status/1630011044256006145