Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summertime plans

Summertime plans

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    It appears as if we are now going to do a 2 week African safari in early October. Had sort of been planning but nothing firm but looks like this is a go. My parents are wanting to take each child on a trip while they are still able and they figured with my profession that Africa would be something special for me. Have to say that it will be very cool. They have done several and always enjoyed them.
    You could save them some money and go on safari in Tibilisi Georgia. Be wary of the lions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: Summertime plans

We are bypassing the beach vacation thing this year, and are heading to Mt Olympus Water Park in Wisconsin in mid-July. Never been north of Chicago, so this is definitely gonna be different for me. Wisconsin Dells is supposed to be the water park capital
    of the world...I guess we will see. May stop off for a day on the way back home and stay in Chicago for a day. Wanted to go see a Cubs game, but they're on All-Star break that week.
    "It's a mere moment in a man's life between an All-Star Game and an Old-Timers Game." - Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by Lfbj00 View Post
    We are bypassing the beach vacation thing this year, and are heading to Mt Olympus Water Park in Wisconsin in mid-July. Never been north of Chicago, so this is definitely gonna be different for me. Wisconsin Dells is supposed to be the water park capital
    of the world...I guess we will see. May stop off for a day on the way back home and stay in Chicago for a day. Wanted to go see a Cubs game, but they're on All-Star break that week.
    Love a game at Wrigley! If you go to Chicago, do the Wrigley field tour. It's pretty cool and if they are off then you go back into the locker room which is neat
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lfbj00 View Post
    Mrs. BEvans and I were in Chicago for parts of 2 days a couple of years ago, and we did a food tour with Tastebud Tours. It was a neat way to have some Chicago food favorites while getting a tour of the Loop. Lasted about 3 hours.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

The wife and I have been invited to Siesta Key with my daughter and her husband (and four grand babies) in two weeks. Ride and beach lodging completely furnished. I hear it's a nice beach.

We accepted naturally. If for no other reason than potential breakfast run in with Dick Vitale at "The Village"

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

"We accepted naturally. If for no other reason than potential breakfast run in with Dick Vitale at "The Village""

Be sure to keep an eye out for him... Lord, I apologize...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    The wife and I have been invited to Siesta Key with my daughter and her husband (and four grand babies) in two weeks. Ride and beach lodging completely furnished. I hear it's a nice beach.

We accepted naturally. If for no other reason than potential breakfast run in with Dick Vitale at "The Village"
    IIRC he routinely eats breakfast at the broken egg.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Most of family still on vacation, but I'm back with daughter. Fort Morgan was pretty good; but water appearance definitely not what Destin, Santa Rosa, Fort Walton, or Pensacola Beach is. More of a grayish-green, although it was clear, and clean. Just not as pretty. Beaches were spectacular, however. Sugary white, like the others, but so, so soft. You literally sink into the beach with every step. Like pillows for your soles. I was amazed every time I stepped on it.

We were so secluded from commercialization, it was a good trip. But 15 miles to a Dollar General store was the closest thing, and 25 miles to a Walmart. Can be good or bad.

Heard the beach there is very nice as well.

Make sure you guys stop at the Broken Egg, and wear UK shirts. Get pics with Vitale, and post 'em! He loves UK fans.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post

'Beaches were spectacular, however. Sugary white, like the others, but so, so soft. You literally sink into the beach with every step. Like pillows for your soles. I was amazed every time I stepped on it.'

That's it, rub it in.
    Been three years since or more since I saw my beloved L.A.
    Sigh...
    Oops I take that back, there was one vacation from Hell (the folks who went with us) three years ago.
    Last edited by BigBluePappy; 06-26-2015 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Additional thought. What else from an ADD adult?
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Bombino

If you ever watched “Vacation” starring Chevy Chase, you watched one of our vacations. I had everything planned from sunup to late night. Things have changed. My wife explained the reason for a vacation is to relax, recoup and have fun. We now do vacations in a differently.

We make no reservations and we travel in a direction, say south. We travel and see what’s on the route. If either of us sees something that looks interesting, we stop. Sometimes we just take a road to see where it goes. Wherever we are around sunset, we get a room. Some of the advantages of doing a vacation this way are you have no deadlines, tickets that must be used and if you don’t show up you won’t be charged .

We have had some very interesting vacations. It amazes what we can do, how far we can travel and the sights we see that we never knew existed and are not tourist traps. We’ve seen and done whatever we wanted to do. The best things is when we get back, we’re well rested.
    Last edited by Edward100; 07-01-2015 at 09:14 AM.

We had this discussion a few years ago, and came to a conclusion--a trip is different from a vacation.

We have boths, but more trips than vacations.

A trip involves things to do. A vacation involves rest and relaxation. Both are fun, both can be of value.

Now, how we determine which one we're doing depends on a lot of things. We recently had a vacation--a week-long stay at the beach. We had two planned activities; one round of golf, and one round of footgolf (while girls went shopping). That's it; nothing else. We did manage to drive 2 miles to Fort Morgan, and visited it for an hour or so, but absolutely nothing else but beach, pool, and family time with games like "Fibbage." We had one lunch adventure planned around the footgolf/shgopping, and one "go to dinner" (plans got thwarted on that, as the wait time was too long for us, so we went with Plan B.

Why was this a vacation, instead of a trip? Length of time is a part. We can't have a vacation unless it is an extended time, preferably a week or more. Could be as little as 5 days, I guess, but anything else, and there's not enough time to decompress in the R&R world. Familiar surroundings/lack of "must" see/do things are also a part. Nothing--and I mean, nothing--is a "must" see or do on a beach vacation. Name it, and we can "pass," whether it's golf, Navy Blue Angels show, terrific restaurant, or whatever. Now, if you're going to Paris, there are "must" see/do things that will turn that into a trip.

Now, about the "no plan" vacation--Edward, we've done that before, of sorts. We have had two occasions where we tried to stop and get a hotel in route, and found no vacancies. It is a miserable experience looking for hotel rooms late at night, when people are tired, grumpy, have to unload things out of cars, etc. We find it better to have a reservation somewhere in the range of where we might be at a certain time. But truthfully, we rarely go farther than about 5 hours on the road on our vacations/trips, so it doesn't matter that much. Once we went to Orlando, and on the way back had the bad experience not finding a hotel. Once we went to Houston and on the way back, had a similar bad experience. Probably terrible to allow two bad experiences over many, many years (the Houston trip was when I lived in Louisiana, before marriage, so we're talking 2 times in over 30 years), but I have a long memory .

Quote Originally Posted by Edward100 View Post
    If you ever watched “Vacation” starring Chevy Chase, you watched one of our vacations. I had everything planned from sunup to late night. Things have changed. My wife explained the reason for a vacation is to relax, recoup and have fun. We now do vacations in a differently.

We make no reservations and we travel in a direction, say south. We travel and see what’s on the route. If either of us sees something that looks interesting, we stop. Sometimes we just take a road to see where it goes. Wherever we are around sunset, we get a room. Some of the advantages of doing a vacation this way are you have no deadlines, tickets that must be used and if you don’t show up you won’t be charged .

We have had some very interesting vacations. It amazes what we can do, how far we can travel and the sights we see that we never knew existed and are not tourist traps. We’ve seen and done whatever we wanted to do. The best things is when we get back, we’re well rested.

Darrell I concur with the need for room reservations. Wife, daughter, and I had spent 6 days in Islamorada, FL having a vacation. We left on Sat morning planning to spend the night somewhere in southern or central GA. I gulf hurricane had ravaged parts of Alabama and the state of GA all the way north to Atlanta a couple of days before we left for home. There were no rooms available on our route home until we got to Chattanooga, TN. By that time, my wife and I agreed to just motor on home, after 17 hours on the road we got home a 1:30 am. That was a TRIP and a bummer
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Hey, you take a month off, and you can call it whatever you want. I call anything a week or more a vacation, unless you're just helter skelter checking off "to do" items. But I've never had more than 8 days off, including my honeymoon, and so I'm just in a different world than you are.

I'll remain in disagreement with you about the hotels, though. It only takes one bad experience to sour you on the idea that traveling reservation-free is a good idea. I've had two.

Bombino

Darrell, retirement does have its benefits. When you retire you get years off. We’ve had bad experiences with getting a room after arriving late, after seven. That’s why we started looking for a room earlier. When the sun reaches the top of our windshield it’s around five o’clock. We’ve also found that getting a room either before or after a large metropolitan area helps.
    As dan_bgblue mentioned about conditions as the weather, is another advantage for us. If I knew what awaited me in Georgia, I would have rerouted. Having to be at a certain place at a certain time is stressful. Either going to a place with reservations or coming back to be at work Monday morning. I doubt, after a 17-hour drive, dan_bgblue felt rested going to work the next day.

I worked and drove all over the country. When I was in my prime, it was nothing to drive 10 to 14 hours at a time. We would drive to Panama City Beach for the weekend. One night while we were entertaining guest in Owensboro, the subject came up about White Castle hamburgers. It was around midnight. We got in the car drove to Louisville, ate White Castle hamburgers, and drove back to Owensboro.
    On another “Adventure”, I changed oil in my car (Owensboro) and went to K-Mart to buy an air filter. We decided to go to Lewisburg to visit friends. Lewisburg is a small town 60 miles south of Owensboro. The people we went to visit were not home. I told my wife, “It’s only about an hour drive to Nashville. Let’s spend the weekend there.” When we got to Nashville, there were no rooms available. So I said, “Well, it’s only about two hours to Chattanooga, let’s go there for the weekend” and off we went. As we were coming into Chattanooga, I saw a sign that said Atlanta 110 miles. We spent the weekend in Atlanta. We had to buy clothes and other supplies there.
    As I mentioned before we don’t take vacations or trips, we take adventures. After that episode, we had luggage in the trunk of our car because we didn’t know what we were going to do or where we were going from that point on. We’ve been married 50 years and still laugh about many of our adventures.