Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

All things video

Movies, TV shows, TVs, disc players, etc.

There are some movies I can watch over and over with some time gaps. Like Lord of the Rings trilogy, some of the Bond movies, My Cousin Vinny...I could go on.

Bought a Vizeo 4K 55" a few months ago. I'd been watching the market for price and whether it was likely to be sustained or short-lived. Gotta say I love it. It upscales everything! Even the 1080i feed I get from Dish has greater clarity and depth of field. The price I paid for it then has yet to be beat though I imagine it will.

I was late to the whole Netflix party but it looks like streaming is the future. I was late to Breaking Bad party as well. Too many people telling me I HAD to watch it which made me not want to. What a piece of work THAT was!

I suppose we should decide on a policy regarding spoilers if this thread takes off...

I've been wanting to start this thread for a while so, whadya think?

I gotta go to work.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Re: All things video

I'm huge on Netflix. My morning routine is watching a episode of whatever TV show I'm addicted to over a cup of coffee at Panera. I'll also watch one or two episodes at lunch and then a few at night. Currently I'm watching Grey's Anatomy. On Season 9. Started watching less than 2 weeks ago! I too was late on Breaking Bad but loved it. I'm also just finishing watching Six Feet Under but thats not available on streaming, just on disc from Netflix. I'll get the disc and watch 3 episodes in one day and send it back, get the next 3 episodes, etc....Other TV shows I streamed and really liked included "Rescue Me", "House of Cards", "That 70's Show", "Fargo" (the series and the movie), "Dexter" and "NYC22". I'd recommend any or all of them.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

You can get 3 of the best dramas ever (IMHO) on Netflix streaming: Breaking Bad, Mad Men (all seasons except the current one) and Friday Night Lights. If you've never seen them, now's a great time to binge-watch them.

They used to have the new Battlestar Galactica but it's not on right now--hoping it comes back, I'd love to watch it again.

If you have an Amazon Prime subscription, they have a great streaming service that's free as a part of your Prime membership. They have a lot of the same stuff that Netflix has, plus a ton of the old HBO series: The Wire, The Sopranos, Band of Brothers, etc.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Sopranos is another, probably the first, show I watched start to finish on Netflix. I'm a binge watcher, big time. I've been known to watch 7 or 8 episodes in one sitting of a show. Its not unusual for me to watch an entire season in a span of a couple days.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Huge recommendation here for the android app, "DroidTV," which is fantastic.

I watched the entire series of Breaking Bad and the last season of Friday Night Lights on my phone. Like Doc, I'm a binge watcher. In fact, for current shows, I usually wait until I have a couple of shows downloaded so that I don't have to watch just one. And a two-parter from one week to another? Nope, I'll wait until the 2nd week so I can watch them back-to-back.

DroidTV, best $49 I have ever spent for a lifetime subscription. I have watched dozens and dozens of shows, old shows, current shows, even shows like True Detective, Fargo, VEEP, etc., some of which are from HBO and Showtime, which I don't get. AND best of all, there are no commercials on any of them. I watch Grey's Anatomy, Blue Blood, Criminal Minds, Elementary, SVU Law and Order, NCIS, Rookie Blue, In the Middle, The Big Bang Theory, etc. on the phone. The second beauty of the app? No buffering. It downloads the shows you choose to your phone (or to your virtual DVR, which has an unlimited capacity--I have a couple hundred shows on it right now), and so it's "local" to your phone and not streaming.

I *can* cast it to my television, but I haven't, because I watch the shows a) later than my wife goes to sleep; b) on trips where my son/daughter is asleep and I don't want to wake them with a TV on; or c) while I am waiting on somebody in my kid's taxi service. I have earphones that I use, and watch the show. Can stop it, rewind it, etc.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 05-12-2015 at 03:06 PM.

By the way, unfortunately, the lifetime membership was raised to $120.

I would buy it at that price and not think twice if you use it as much as I do, but that's more pricy, for sure. I'd recommend getting a free 14-day subscription, downloading a ton of shows during that time, putting them on your virtual DVR, and download them later at your leisure as you wish to use them (well outside the 14-day period).

They have monthly, quarterly, annual and lifetime subscriptions available.

Here are the shows currently available. It is constantly updated.

Primetime Classic

100, The ~10ThingsIHateAboutYou
    12 Monkeys ~1600Penn
    2 Broke Girls ~30Rock
    24: Live Another Day ~3rdRockFromtheSun
    A to Z ~666ParkAvenue
    About a Boy ~90210
    Allegiance ~AGiftedMan
    Almost Human ~Alcatraz
    Amazing Race, The ~Alphas
    American Crime ~AmericanChopper
    American Dad ~AreYouThere,Chelsea?
    American Horror Story ~ArmyWives
    American Idol ~Awake
    American Oddysey ~BachelorPad
    America's Got Talent ~BackintheGame
    America's Next Top Model ~BadTeacher
    Anger Management ~Band of Brothers
    Archer ~Batman
    Arrow ~BattlestarGalactica
    Ascension ~BenandKate
    Bachelor, The ~Bent
    Bachelorette, The ~BestFriendsForever
    Backstrom ~Betrayal
    Bad Judge ~BigC,The
    Bates Motel ~BodyofProof
    Battle Creek ~Borgias,The
    Beauty and the Beast ~BreakingBad
    Being Human ~BreakingIn
    Believe ~Brothers&Sisters
    Benched ~BuffytheVampireSlayer
    Better Call Saul ~BurnNotice
    Big Bang Theory, The ~CelebrityApprentice
    Big Brother ~CHAOS
    Biggest Loser, The ~Charlie'sAngels
    Bitten ~Charmed
    Black Box ~Chase
    Black Sails ~Cheers
    Black-ish ~ChicagoCode,The
    Blacklist, The ~Chuck
    Blue Bloods ~ClientList,The
    Boardwalk Empire ~Closer,The
    Bob's Burgers ~CommonLaw
    Bones ~Coupling
    Bridge, The ~CSI:Miami
    Broadchurch ~CSI:NewYork
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine ~Deception
    Californication ~DesperateHousewives
    Carrie Diaries, The ~DestinationTruth
    Castle ~Detroit1-8-7
    Cedar Cove ~Dollhouse
    Chicago Fire ~Don'tTrusttheB---inApt23
    Chicago PD ~Entourage
    Cleveland Show, The ~Eureka
    Colbert Report, The ~Event,The
    Community ~EverybodyLovesRaymond
    Constantine ~ExtremeMakeover:HomeEdition
    Continuum ~FactorFaked:ParanormalFiles
    Copper ~FairlyLegal
    Cops ~Finder,The
    Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey ~Firm,The
    Cougar Town ~FlashForward
    Covert Affairs ~Frasier
    Cracked ~FreshPrinceofBel-Air,The
    Crazy Ones, The ~FridayNightLights
    Criminal Minds ~Friends
    Crisis ~Fringe
    Cristella ~Futurama
    Crossbones ~GCB
    Crossing Lines ~GhostHuntersInternational
    CSI: Crime Scene Investigation ~GoOn
    CSI: Cyber ~GoldenBoy
    Curiosity ~GossipGirl
    Da Vinci's Demons ~Greek
    Dads ~HappyTown
    Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The ~Harry'sLaw
    Dallas ~HawthoRNe
    Dancing with the Stars ~House
    Defiance ~HowtobeaGentleman
    Devious Maids ~Huge
    Dexter ~HumanTarget
    Dig ~InPlainSight
    Doctor Who ~Inbetweeners,The
    Dominion ~Ironside
    Downton Abbey ~ITCrowd,The
    Dracula ~JerseyShore
    Drop Dead Diva ~KillerWomen
    Duck Dynasty ~King&Maxwell
    Elementary ~Leverage
    Empire ~LieToMe
    Enlisted ~M*A*S*H
    Extant ~MacGyver
    Falling Skies ~MadLove
    Family Guy ~MadeinJersey
    Fargo ~ManUp
    Fashion Star ~Married..withChildren
    Flash, The ~Mercy
    Following, The ~Merlin
    Forever ~MindGames
    The Fosters ~Missing
    Franklin & Bash ~MobCity
    Fresh Off the Boat ~MobDoctor,The
    Friends with Better Lives ~Monk
    Galavant ~MuppetShow,The
    Game of Thrones ~MyGeneration
    Gang Related ~NewNormal,The
    Ghost Hunters ~Nikita
    Girls ~NYC22
    Glee ~OfftheMap
    Goldbergs, The ~Office,The
    Good Wife, The ~OneTreeHill
    Gotham ~Outlaw
    Graceland ~Outsourced
    Gracepoint ~PanAm
    Grey's Anatomy ~Partners
    Grimm ~PoliticalAnimals
    Halt and Catch Fire ~PrimeSuspect
    Hannibal ~PrivatePractice
    Happy Endings ~Psych
    Hart of Dixie ~RedDwarf
    Haven ~Ringer
    Hawaii Five-0 ~River,The
    Helix ~Rob!
    Hell on Wheels ~RulesofEngagement
    Hell's Kitchen ~RunningWilde
    Hiding ~Scrubs
    Homeland ~SeanSavestheWorld
    Hostages ~SecretCircle,The
    Hot in Cleveland ~SecretLifeoftheAmericanTeenager,The
    How I Met Your Mother ~Seinfeld
    How to Get Away With Murder ~Smallville
    How to Live With Your Parents ~Smash
    Intelligence ~Spartacus
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia ~StarTrek
    iZombie ~Star Trekeep Space Nine
    Jane the Virgin ~StarTrek:TheNextGeneration
    Justified ~StargateSG-1
    Killing, The ~StargateUniverse
    Kitchen Inferno ~Star Trek:Voyager
    Kitchen Nightmares ~SURVIVOR:RedemptionIsland
    Knick, The ~TerraNova
    Last Man on Earth ~That70sShow
    Last Man Standing ~TheLastResort
    Last Ship, The ~Torchwood
    Law & Order: SVU ~Touch
    League, The ~UglyBetty
    Leftovers, The ~Undercovers
    Legends ~UpAllNight
    Legit ~Vegas
    Librarian, The ~Weeds
    Longmire ~Whitney
    Lost Girl ~ZeroHour
    Louie
    Lucky 7
    Lucky Bastards
    Madame Secretary
    Mad Men
    Major Crimes
    Manhattan
    Manhattan Love Story
    Married
    Marry Me
    Marvel's Agent Carter
    Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
    MasterChef
    MasterChef Junior
    Masters of Sex
    The McCarthy's
    Melissa & Joey
    Men at Work
    Mentalist, The
    Messengers, The
    Michael J. Fox Show, The
    Middle, The
    Mike & Molly
    Millers, The
    Mindy Project, The
    Mistresses
    Mixology
    Modern Family
    Mom
    Motive
    Mulaney
    Murder in the First
    Mysteries of Laura, The
    Mystery Girls
    Mythbusters
    Nashville
    NCIS
    NCIS: Los Angeles
    NCIS:New Orleans
    Necessary Roughness
    Neighbors, The
    New Girl
    Newsroom, The
    Night Shift, The
    Nurse Jackie
    Odd Couple
    Olympus
    One Big Happy
    Once Upon a Time
    Once Upon a Time in Wonderland
    Originals, The
    Orphan Black
    Outlander
    Paranormal Witness
    Parenthood
    Parks and Recreation
    Penny Dreadful
    Perception
    Person of Interest
    Power
    Pretty Little Liars
    Raising Hope
    Rake
    Ravenswood
    Ray Donovan
    Real Housewives of New Jersey, The
    Real Time with Bill Maher
    Reckless
    Red Band Society
    Reign
    Resurrecton
    Returned, The
    Revenge
    Revolution
    Rizzoli & Isles
    Rookie Blue
    Royal Pains
    Rush
    Salem
    Satisfaction
    Saving Hope
    Scandal
    Scorpion
    Secrets & Lies
    Selfie
    Shameless
    Shark Tank
    Simpsons, The
    Sing Your Face Off
    The Slap
    Sleepy Hollow
    So You Think You Can Dance
    Sons of Anarchy
    South Park
    Stalker
    Star Wars: Clone Wars
    State of Affairs
    Storage Wars
    Storage Wars: New York
    Storage Wars: Texas
    Strain, The
    Suburgatory
    Suits
    Super Fun Night
    Supernatural
    Survivor
    Survivor's Remorse
    Switched at Birth
    The Americans
    Through the Wormhole
    Tomorrow People, The
    Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, The
    Tosh.0
    Trophy Wife
    True Blood
    True Detective
    Twisted
    Two and a Half Men
    Tyrant
    Undateable
    Under the Dome
    Undercover Boss
    Unforgettable
    Vampire Diaries, The
    Veep
    Vice
    Vikings
    Voice, The
    Walking Dead, The
    Warehouse 13
    Welcome to the Family
    White Collar
    Who Do You Think You Are?
    Weird Loners
    Wilfred
    Wipeout
    Witches of East End
    X Factor, The
    Young and Hungry
    You're the Worst
    Your Family or Mine
    Z Nation

Roku is a great device as well. It turns any tv into a smart tv and has more apps than anyone would ever use. The TV in the family room has it.

Jerry Seinfeld has a reality show where he picks up his showbiz friends in a different classic car each time and drive to different coffee shops and just have conversations. It's called Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. It's on Crackle and in 30 min episodes. It's a nice change of pace and he's a classy guy.

Darrell, that's a whale of a list. No Firefly or Star Trek, but it has Warehouse 13, a huge plus mark. Think I may do that.

I was a binge watcher years before I ever first heard the term. That's most of what I do.

Further, being as messed up in the head as i am, I can repeatedly binge watch a relatively small number of shows. Current rotating list includes Star Trek Voyager, ST DS9, Big Bang Theory, Whose Line (with drew carey), Firefly, Warehouse 13, Mythbusters. There are a few others, and some movies in there, and that's about it.

Good topic. Hopefully I can pick up a few more series to watch. I need to watch breaking bad but that will probably be too focusing, need to save it for that weekend I don't want to get off the couch and can pull it off.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I have never seen Warehouse 13, but funny you mentioned it, as I downloaded the pilot episode and 2nd episode a couple of days ago and thought I'd watch them and see if it was a show I would enjoy. I like to give it two or three episodes to grow on me, even if it's not my favorite initially... Unless it just strikes me as stupid beyond belief. I've had a couple of those recently.

That's the list their Facebook page (a private group) provides. I'd be a tad careful. For example, the entire series of Warehouse 13 is available, but only selected seasons of Breaking Bad. I forgot that I actually binged watched it on Netflix.

Another show I am really enjoying is a British crime drama called Broadchurch. I caught up with the two seasons it had a few weeks ago. It is quite good, revolving around flawed people, detective work, and how people handle situations, as opposed to neatly tying up a whodunit in 41 minutes. I also enjoyed watching the English justice system in action, whether accurate or not, it was entertaining. The two seasons have revolved around only one crime, with a second crime as a secondary plot issue arising during the second season. It is better than I am making it sound.

Download the app... Free... Might have to get it from an apk on their Facebook page... Then sign up for the free 14 day trial. During that 14 days, download as much as you can, but periodically take them off the "Now playing" section to the "My DVR."

That's unlimited. After the free period expires, unless things have changed you can download the shows you selected from the "My dvr" section at your leisure, and without cost. I would pick out some shows I might like, and download them. Should give you a good idea whether you'd use it and enjoy it before you have to pony up any bucks for it.

Also, if you like the current shows they have like the ones I listed that I watch, you can set it to automatically download new episodes and it will do it indefinitely.

I know you have as weird hours as I do, and occasionally this could come in handy. It does often for me. Heck, I'm sitting in my den while everybody else is watching a TV show they want, and I'm watching a show I want. Except mine is 41 minutes of show, 0 commercial, while they are watching their 41 minute show in an hour. I win.

W13 is more of a sci-fi "dromedy", doesn't take itself too serious but has enough cool stuff and character depth to not be a sitcom level show. it's a very cool premise, definitely start at the beginning with the opener and go forward. it is a serial. Like Breaking bad you could watch one in the middle and be sorta OK, but it's better as a serial.

I have some thoughts on the show that aren't really spoilers, but I'll hold off on them till you can watch some of it. I do particularly like the characters in it, and you won't meet one of the best ones until about 4 episodes in.

I will say it was by FAR the most popular show on Syfy, and the smartest, and was thus summarily abused by the network and then cancelled. It's unreal to me they can Syfy, don't run Firefly or ST or any other of a ton of good series, and also produced a great Battlestar series and Stargate and a few others, yet seem content now to run the equivalent of Sharknado for about 20 hours a day.

So much good sci fi out there, and they are running crap. I guess the economics are such that the crap is so cheap their margins are better than making good shows like battlestar or W13 or Stargate.

I thought Stargate Universe would be good, but it got too dark way too fast IMO, and that doomed it. I'm a dark sci fi guy and I was drained watching it.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Re DroidTV I'm going to look into it. My hours are so messed up now it's not healthy, not sure what I'm going to do about it.

Watched the pilot 2-hour episode, minus the commercials. Very good show. I like that it struck a balance between reality and fantasy. I'm on the other end from many in that if it's too fantastical I'm uninterested, but this was about the characters and the story, which was good. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I may watch another episode.

Cool. That's how I feel about it. It's a nice balance, but like all great sci-fi never leaves the characters and their story as the core of everything. The good news is it never gets too fantasy IMO.

I love the premise, but I especially love how the show ties in to history as well. They cover a LOT of cool history and put an artifact twist on it.

You're also a few episodes from the full cast being developed, that's when it really hits a stride IMO.

BTW, have you watched Firefly? I really think you and a lot of other non-hard core sci-fi people might like it. There are only 14 episodes before it was cancelled, but IMO it's the smartest written show I've ever seen. Nathan Fillion is perfect in the role and I freely admit Captain Reynold's desires so closely parallel mine I can't help but love the show, but it's just so smart and so well done with the characters.

Side note, Ron Glass from Barney Miller is in it and is a great addition. The show just had so much depth right from the start.

But love that you enjoyed W13.

I've been meaning to check out W13. I remember you singing its praises and isn't that the one that has Jaime Murray in it? Bosch on Amazon is a great cop show. Just one season so far but the main character played by Titus Welliver, who was on Deadwood, does a good job of keeping it realistic, not so much as the typical hero. BTW Deadwood is one that I've a few times through. It was on HBO and 3 seasons long.

If you're wanting see what's on Netflix streaming, this website is a good resource. Lists the top 50 hottest adds, plus you can search by name, filter by Rotten Tomatoes rating, etc.:

http://instantwatcher.com/
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Anyone else buy discs? For stuff that I know I'll watch multiple times I get blurays if they're cheap enough. My 4k TV up-scales so well you can't tell the difference. The colors and detail are amazing. This fall Bluray will come out with 4K players and discs.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Darrell, that's a whale of a list. No Firefly or Star Trek, but it has Warehouse 13, a huge plus mark. Think I may do that.
    I downloaded "Band of Brothers" miniseries last night while I slept. Looking forward to watching it. The list I posted wasn't a complete list.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I downloaded "Band of Brothers" miniseries last night while I slept. Looking forward to watching it. The list I posted wasn't a complete list.
    You'll love it, D. Very well done.

Just finished "Friday Night Lights" and started "Orange is the New Black". If you haven't watched "Orange is the New Black" I'd suggest you not make the same mistake as me. As stated above, my normal routine is to watch an episode in the morning at Panera over their WIFI. Not, repeat NOT, a good idea to do that with Orange is the New Black!!!!!!!

Well, I've just lost every game I've recorded during the Cal era. Somehow everything on my external hard drive got transferred to the DVR hard drive and it's fried. There were no warnings. I spent about 5 hours, at least 2 with Dish tech support, trying to rectify the situation last night. I'm majorly pi$$ed right now.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    Well, I've just lost every game I've recorded during the Cal era. Somehow everything on my external hard drive got transferred to the DVR hard drive and it's fried. There were no warnings. I spent about 5 hours, at least 2 with Dish tech support, trying to rectify the situation last night. I'm majorly pi$$ed right now.
    Ouch.

Question - is it hard to hook up an external drive to your DVR? And copy things in the DVR to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Ouch.

Question - is it hard to hook up an external drive to your DVR? And copy things in the DVR to it?
    No, it's pretty easy. The catch is the recordings are coded by your provider (in my case, Dish) and can only be viewed through their dvr. So you become attached at the hip in that regard. I'm going to buy a new external and try transferring to it before I switch Hoppers.

Well, it is pretty easy unless you have backwards AT&T U-Verse.

Apparently they are the only cavemen out there that don't allow this. Their receiver has a USB outlet, but it only charges cell phones and things.

Crazy. I have no problem with it being encoded through their system, only usable through their DVR, etc. But you ought to be able to expand your capacity if you provide more storage space. In fact, it ought to engender loyalty to the provider, since it is provider-specific--i.e., if I have 80 Kentucky games recorded on my own external drives, and they can only be seen through the AT&T U-Verse system, how unlikely is it that I will switch?

Not a huge deal to me, but to others--this is huge. I read a few AT&T forums after seeing your answer (I assume you have DirecTV), and saw how bass-ackwards they were. Lot of angry U-Verse customers on that issue.

No, it's pretty easy. The catch is the recordings are coded by your provider (in my case, Dish) and can only be viewed through their dvr. So you become attached at the hip in that regard. I'm going to buy a new external and try transferring to it before I switch Hoppers.

Not just you Darrell, I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have that option either. Guess I should be 100% sure but I'm pretty sure I can't with mine, it's a Time warner box that was carried forward from insight. I record on the DVR then record it over to the media server but have to do it over hdmi.

All things video

Anybody know how to move recordings from my provider DVR (direct Tv), I'm getting ready to upgrade to the Jeanie, they tell me I'm going to lose everything when I upgrade..

If that's the case I'm going to lose amongst other things Jodie going off on TN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Well, my new external has the wrong interface. Arrrggghhh! I have a month after the new Hopper arrives to send back the current one so I have some time to fix things if that's possible.

All things video

It's official, Jeanie moved in today, and Jodie putting up 54 amongst all my other prized recordings moved out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I think I want to buy a standalone dvd recorder. Had one for years until it petered out. Can make DVDs from its hard drive. Would provide a solution to this issue for me.

I had a Tivo2 that was great, had a built in dvd burner so I just burned stuff off. It died, and the media companies pressure the makers to make sure there isn't anything that convenient out there. Probably is now, wasn't at the time I lost that one and got my media server.

Which I have managed to fill WAY too fast. 2 TB drive.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    So if I'm reading this correctly, I'm considering upgrading my direct tv but have been hesitant because I'll lose what I've recorded. I can download what I have to an external hard drive then load it back into the new dvr by simply pluging into the usb port?