Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TAGS Trivia (The Andy Griffith Show)

Re: TAGS Trivia (The Andy Griffith Show)

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Leon is right! Nicely done, for a non-TAGS guy. I'll throw another one out there if you don't want to.
    Oh, I loved the show, actually the old b&W better than the color but I guess I didn't get the trivia gene on that one particular show.

Oh, I am a "car guy" a little bit and I believe they were '63 Ford Galaxie and then later a "65 Ford Galaxie; may have been more as I said, I am not that big on TAGS Trivia but LOVED the show.
    Last edited by BigBluePappy; 04-23-2015 at 06:54 PM. Reason: additional thought; ADHD what can I say?
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Leon is right! Nicely done, for a non-TAGS guy. I'll throw another one out there if you don't want to.

"Check point Chicky" was the undercover name Barney gave to an operation he had which increased the rolling stock of the Mayberry police force. What did it involve (and try to be somewhat specific)?
    Barney got, i believe a Harley, but it may have been an Indian, regardless it had a sidecar
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Sidecar was the specific thing I was looking for--the motor-sickle (his pronounciation) and sidecar! Nicely done.

There's no question on the table, so I'll ask another one, but feel free to add your own.

"What does a gumball machine need with money?" This person on TAGS went on to star in his own TV series for years, but played a ne'er do well who was providing Opie with a less-than-perfect role model.

Who was this actor?

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Barney got, i believe a Harley, but it may have been an Indian, regardless it had a sidecar

One of the quotes from the ' moto-cycle sidecar " episode..

Barney Fife: If you ride with your mouth open in the wind and put your tongue against the roof of your mouth, its impossible to pronounce a word that begins with the letter 's'.

Andy Taylor: You didn't let anyone see you riding with your mouth open?

Not slapstick so much but they were a great comedy team. Right there with the best in hindsight.
    Last edited by kingcat; 04-23-2015 at 11:00 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

TAGS Trivia (The Andy Griffith Show)

Sidecar was the specific thing I was looking for--the motor-sickle (his pronounciation) and sidecar! Nicely done.

There's no question on the table, so I'll ask another one, but feel free to add your own.

"What does a gumball machine need with money?" This person on TAGS went on to star in his own TV series for years, but played a ne'er do well who was providing Opie with a less-than-perfect role model.

Who was this actor?
    I'm going with Jim Neighbors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Change your "golllly" to "Well, doggy," and you'll be on the right track.

I'm going with Jim Neighbors

Next hint - he was also first pegged to be the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz, but had a problem with the silver makeup paint and had to bow out.

Buddy Ebsen.

Again, if correct I'll have to defer to you, sir for the question.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Bingo!, none other than "Jed" Clampett, Buddy Ebsen. Buddy played a drifter who was teaching Opie some bad habits, like skipping school. Great actor, despite the silly, dumb (but I always watched it) Beverly Hillbillies.

OK, I don't mind asking questions, but anybody else feel free to chime in as well. I love TAGS and enoy talking about it.

Let's go to one of the later shows, colorized-nobody liked these as much, and neither did I, but I think this is a pretty cool question, and an episode I actually saw not long ago.

Aunt Bea was called for jury duty, and she served on a case that appeared open and shut. 11 of the 12 jurors voted "guilty" right away, but something told her the defendant wasn't guilty of the crime, and she was the lone holdout.

Long story short--an interested spectator in the courthouse turned out to be the real criminal, and thanks to a heads-up Andy Taylor, the culprit was caught.

What was the actor's name who played that culprit? I'm going to go ahead and give a pretty good hint, because this might be more difficult, and again, this isn't trying to be super-tough.

The hint--can you handle the truth? This actor, who was young then, later played a starring role in many movies and films.

Jack Nicholson

(By the way...interestingly, the calender in Floyds Barber Shop is always on February)
    Last edited by kingcat; 04-24-2015 at 07:16 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    Jack Nicholson

(By the way...interestingly, the calender in Floyds Barber Shop is always on February)
    Very good. Man, I'm glad you didn't ask that calendar trivia as a question. I never knew that!

Another freebie question -

Nathan Tibbs was somebody historically famous on the show as a Revolutionary war hero and one of his descendants was said to live in Mayberry. They were doing research to find the identity of the person to give him a plaque.

Who was the descendant so honored in the mayor's office?

Very unsure of who this was but I want to take a guess. It sounds a lot like something Aunt bee and Clara would wrestle over, so I'll guess Clara?

Wasn't Clara. The Mayor and Barney were afraid the recipient would show up to receive his plaque somewhat toasty... Turned out to be one of his finest moments instead.

Otis

Otis

You are quite correct. Otis gave a remarkable speech, showing up well dressed and being very humble. He said something like he couldn't take credit for just being born, and donated the plaque back to the city of Mayberry. It was one of those life moments that really made you feel for Otis, and yet another feel good Andy Griffith story.

Another toss-up question (hey, I'll keep asking them, but feel free to chime in. You guys have seen the show, too!)

One show had a particular character singing "From the Halls of Montezuma" with a tin bucket on his head. What character was signing this, and what significance did this show have for future shows?

Now it's time for the Gomer answer

It is Gomer Pyle. What was the significance of that episode?

Question on the board is still, "what is the significance of the episode that saw Gomer Pyle singing, "From the Halls of Montezuma" with a bucket on his head?"

2nd Question and 3rd question..

Howard Sprague asked to go fishing with the guys once. He had never fished before, and was an absolute disaster--except he caught a huge old silver carp that had been frequenting the fishing hole for years around Mayberry, a legend in those parts. He was somewhat revered, and then reviled for ruining the legend when he donated it to the state museum.

2nd question: How did Howard regain his standing as a friend in the community; and

3rd question: What was the name of the silver carp?

I would guess it set up the Gomer Pyle show...

I would guess it set up the Gomer Pyle show...

Yessir, Gomer Pyle, USMC was borne with that show. It had Sargeant Carter "welcoming" Gomer to the Marines, thanks in no small part to a crafty Andy Taylor, who convinced him Gomer was General Lucius Pyle's son, sorta under the radar.

Loved that episode.

Can't remember the name of the fish but didn't Howard let the fish go?

You're right, Howard indeed took back the silver carp and returned it to the lake. Didn't tell anybody, just did it, and somebody thought they saw Ole _____ swimming, and he told them what he did. He was returned to the good graces of the Mayberry community with that act.

Now, what was that carp's name?

Ole Darrell?

Old Sam is the correct answer...one of our members who hasn't logged on the boards in awhile answered it on twitter, kudos Bill Roland!

OK, here's a multi-part one for fun. I may not check back until tonight. I think these are three that most TAGS followers will know pretty well.

Old Barney was sort of a wild man at times. He had a regular girlfriend that was his steady, but he also had a sometimes date with a restaurant waitress.

a) Who was his steady girlfriend?

b) Who was his the restaurant waitress?

c) Where did she work?

I'm watching TAGS now, and seeing Barney and his steady girl. I know this one isn't hard.

I know there are more Andy Griffith Show fans out there. Make yourself heard!

I'm adding another question...

Barney got concerned when a new guy (Roger) was sent down to help them for awhile from the state Capitol. He thought Andy wanted to replace him with the more qualified guy, so he quit to go into "industry."

What did Barney do for a job when he quit the police force then?

Is that the one that called him Bernie??

OK, I'm going to give some answers, and maybe spur some interest in it again. I'm apparently asking bad questions, as I know there are more TAGS fans out there!

Blueboss, the one that called Barney "Bernie," was not a regular girlfriend, or even the one on the side, but you identified a great one, one of the Mount Pilot "fun girls." I confess, I don't remember if "his" was Daphne or Skippy. I think Skippy. Daphne scared me--her "Hello, Doll" to Andy in that raspy voice made me think of some of the "gentlemen" entertainers in the New Orleans French Quarter lol.

a) Barney's steady girlfriend was Thelma Lou. I met her years ago, which was one of the highlights of my life, and received a hug from her. Many years ago in Birmingham at the Oak Mountain amphitheatre she appeared at a Mayberry Reunion. I did not attend, but the next morning she happened to attend my church, which is right down the road. A good friend of mine was a greeter that day, and knew I was a big TAGS fan. He saw her coming up in the parking lot, and shouted, "Thelma Lou!," of course, not knowing her real name of Betty Lynn. He told her there was somebody she had to meet, and introduced her. I blabbered on about how I used to watch the show 4 times a day while I was getting my masters degree, and how much the show helped me through the stress of the year. She was extremely nice, very cordial, and we chatted for a few minutes. Anyway, she's one of my favorites, as you can tell.

b) and c) Barney's "on the side" girlfriend was Juanita from the Mayberry Diner. He would call her when he and Thelma Lou were on the outs

The 2nd question I asked--

When Roger came down from the State Capitol, Barney felt like Andy wanted to replace him, but didn't have the heart--so Barney made it easy on him and quit (one of several times Barney quit the police force). When he did, he went into "industry," by selling vacuum cleaners door to door.

He was eventually arrested for selling without a license in violation of the "Green River Ordinance," which infuriated Barney so much that he rejoined the force, wanting to teach Roger that sheriffing involved more than just going "by the book."

I'll add another question later today. I hope people are at least reading it, and enjoying reliving some of the TAGS memories. I am enjoying typing and reliving them myself. I kid you not, I have had a smile on my face the entire time while I typed this post. I love that show.

Old Sam is the correct answer...one of our members who hasn't logged on the boards in awhile answered it on twitter, kudos Bill Roland!

OK, here's a multi-part one for fun. I may not check back until tonight. I think these are three that most TAGS followers will know pretty well.

Old Barney was sort of a wild man at times. He had a regular girlfriend that was his steady, but he also had a sometimes date with a restaurant waitress.

a) Who was his steady girlfriend?

b) Who was his the restaurant waitress?

c) Where did she work?
    I'm adding another question...

Barney got concerned when a new guy (Roger) was sent down to help them for awhile from the state Capitol. He thought Andy wanted to replace him with the more qualified guy, so he quit to go into "industry."

What did Barney do for a job when he quit the police force then?
    Is that the one that called him Bernie??

When Barney got the motorcycle to help cut down on speeders, what was name of the hill he set up his radar trap on?? He handed out tickets to the truck drivers that were always allowed to get going fast so they could make it up the "_" hill.

Hint~ I honestly can't remember the name of the hill so I hope someone else knows the answer.

Oh yeah, I now know where the Oak Mountain Amphitheater is, where you met Barney's girl
    Last edited by blueboss; 05-07-2015 at 07:33 PM.