Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate Daylight Savings Time

I hate Daylight Savings Time

Yeah, I just got up whenever. I don't go to church early Sunday morning, so having it on Sunday is a great start to me, as I can more or less sleep to when I want anyway.

Still don't like it.

Re: I hate Daylight Savings Time

Like the weather. Everyone complains about it, no one does anything. lol.

To me it makes sense. The Earth wobbles, so we get seasons and longer and shorter days. Makes sense we'd try to map to that some.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

DST becomes a hot topic for a couple of weeks a year, then everyone acclimates and then forgets about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

changing my signature to change our luck.

I am a big fan of DST, I like having the daylight extend longer in the evenings. I don't mind going to work in the dark, I hate coming home and it is nearly dark.

In 2012, the University of Alabama at Birmingham conducted a study that connected daylight saving time with a 10% increase in heart attack risk during the Monday and Tuesday after moving clocks forward in the spring.

Alabama currently has a proposed Bill to eliminate it. I think Florida just passed one.

I like the extra evening hours. Just go on dst forever.

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    I like the extra evening hours. Just go on dst forever.
    I could handle it, get to do yard work after work so I can play golf on Sunday afternoon

If we're going to pick one, pick DST. But given that the planet wobbles it seems to only make sense we'd adjust our measurement of time to line up with that wobble.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Here we go again...time to be sleep-deprived, cranky and at increased risk of accidents and heart issues.

The EU has the right idea--they're voting on scrapping mandatory DST:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8812646.html

My solution; spring forward, never fall back.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Will give me an extra hour to shovel snow in the afternoon. For February BOZEMAN had 5.5 times the normal snowfall. it has snowed every day in March. One night last week the temp was -23. The shoveled snow on the side of my driveway is 5 feet tall, in March. Global warming has failed me.

The rain we got here in Jan and Feb if converted to snow equaled 12.5 feet. No one here has the equipment to handle that much snow so I am dang glad it was just warm enough to not snow
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    The rain we got here in Jan and Feb if converted to snow equaled 12.5 feet. No one here has the equipment to handle that much snow so I am dang glad it was just warm enough to not snow
    lol, yeah the state would look like the zombie apocalypse with that much snow in 2 months.

Goodbye hour. See you in the fall.

Testing date/time stamp on site.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    ...or more specifically, I hate moving clocks back and forth. Everybody walks around sleep-deprived and a little out of sync for a few days. It's unsafe: Accidents increase the Monday after DST.

All this to get another hour of sunlight in the summer? We can do that without moving the clocks back and forth. Now that we've "sprung forward," let's just not "fall back"--make this our permanent time zone in the US, but do away with moving the clocks around.

Who's with me? Government, get your hands off my alarm clock!
    SAVING
    Real Fan since 1958

Trump gets it:

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

Follow Follow @realDonaldTrump

Making Daylight Saving Time permanent is O.K. with me!

10:17 AM - 11 Mar 2019

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...10383227035654
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Thought I was okay since I didn’t have to get up early yesterday but couldn’t get to sleep last night until late according to the clock but still had to get up at 5 am :/ Kind of in a fog today.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

BEvans I think Trump is trying to woo you. He knows your weakness.

Rupp's Runt

Give me the daylight when I get home!

@thehill: JUST IN: Washington state Senate passes bill to make daylight saving time permanent http://hill.cm/MYrZlsz https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1...395202/photo/1

Your annual reminder that we're getting ready to do something nonsensical, unsafe and unhealthy.

C'mon, President Trump, make permanent DST happen! He hasn't done it yet! Sad!

Have a nice weekend (until you lose your hour of sleep, then maybe get a nap).
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 03-06-2020 at 01:44 PM.

seeya
    dan

This is the change I want to have happen. Stays lighter later that way.

The problem is the other half of people who want to end the switch want to stay on the time I don't prefer. I think those people may be Communist infiltrators. Or UL fans.

EU to abolish practice next year?

The practice, which is currently regulated across the European Union, has grown increasingly unpopular over the years. Critics say switching clocks disrupts biorhythms in humans and livestock alike, leading to health problems.

In 2018, an EU poll indicated overwhelming support for ending daylight saving time altogether. A year later, the European Parliament voted to abolish it by 2021.

The decision left it up to EU member states to decide whether to stick to the twice-yearly change, but there is no uniform position on whether the bloc should adopt summer or winter time. With 2021 just around the corner, no concrete plans on how to implement the EU's decision have been made since last year's vote.

Will Sunday be the last time Europeans turn back the clocks? Only time will tell.

https://www.dw.com/en/europeans-turn...ime/a-55389492

If the EU supports this idea, it can not be a good one
    seeya
    dan

I get that people don't like changing it, though I find it a completely minor event myself.

But I do think the reason for DST hasn't changed, which is that the planet shifts and if we stay with one time we will either be very dark early part of the year or dark pretty early at night the other part. So if we dont' change then people waking up early are in total in winter, or our summers get dark earlier.

The idea that it's "unhealthy" to conform more to the natural rotation of the planet around the sun is to me silly. The idea it impacts livestock is really silly. Artificial time is a construct. NOrmally in non-industrial society people would naturally shift to the pattern. Now maybe doing it all at once in one night has some short term impact in some way, but it seems to mostly be people don't like it.

I am curious if the vast majority just want it light longer in winter or they want it light longer in the morning. The political arguments over when to make the change are based in exactly that, with farmers wanting more light in the morning thus wanting to shift out of DST sooner, and actually candy companies being the major lobby wanting it to wait until after Halloween to provide more time for trick or treat.

This guy has been leading the "charge" (more like shuffle) against DST for years:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2005/...john-j-miller/

Shifting back and forth doesn't save energy, it doesn't help agriculture, and there are more traffic accidents and fatal industrial accidents on the Monday after DST. We've gone long periods of time before (WWII and the 70s) in permanent DST. Somehow the Republic survived.

I like permanent DST--it gives us the longer summer evenings. Yes, it means it's dark longer in the mornings in winter. It's dark in the morning in winter, anyway, and it's winter, so I'm prepared to be miserable.

But even if we went with permanent Standard Time: fine. Just pick one, already.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I get that people don't like changing it, though I find it a completely minor event myself.
    Before kids, we would take a long weekend trip to the beach that weekend. Worked out well, we never knew it happened.