Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: I hate Daylight Savings Time

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I"ve seen senators citing studies attributing billions in lost productivity from a one hour shift over the weekend, with that impact on Monday, and through the week.

Never has there been a more bull**** study in the history of bad science than those studies.

I'm sorry, but every American routinely does things on the weekend that take away more than one hour of sleep, to such a degree we even built it right into the culture and language with things like "it's a school night", etc.

If we are so fragile now that one hour on Saturday night costs us billions in Monday work effort, we need to reinstitute the draft or, IMO better yet, make every young person at the age of 16 go work 2 years on a farm. that will teach you how to power right on through those 6am milkings and 16 hour days trying to get a crop in before a hail storm.

I'm fine that people like or don't like it, though they seem pretty split on which one they prefer, and I don't like losing an hour of sleep, but it is the smallest blip of an issue in my world. I lose more than that almost every night to some project that goes late or some thing that is due the next day, and no way I'm alone.

Now colleges probably need to shut down for the week so the kids can recover, with free kitten distribution to their dorm rooms....

People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I also know I may be the only person who actually likes the shift and thinks it makes sense.

The planet wobbles, thus our seasons. It makes perfect sense we would shift our clocks and keeping of time to try to better match the reality of the planet on which we live, trying to keep the middle of our day more in the middle of the day the Good Lord and the solar system has given us.

We can't change the wobble, and thus this makes sense to try to set our clocks to the same bodily rhythm we would naturally have with the planet, sans our artificial lighting.

IMO historically the best solution was to not have clocks, and more and more research is indicating that people in that time kept a much different schedule, with the day broken up into more active and rest periods rather than one long sleep period and the rest active. It's still not fully established, but it is a fascinating area of research IMO.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I hate Daylight Savings Time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

You are not the only person citizen. Way too many people would not like sunrise to be at 9:30am on Christmas or 4:30am on June 25th but don’t think about it because we wisely adjust human time to the wobble of the earth. (Your phrase that I stole and use on all scoffers.) if time is relative, and a construct, the. Let’s
    Construct it to be relative to human needs.

Thanks bigsky. I've been feeling really lonely defending this shift.

It actually makes perfect sense.

Here's an article from Vox that talks about how the shift causes issues b/c of the disruption of our circadian rhythms:

https://www.vox.com/even-better/2362...t-newtab-en-us

OK, I certainly accept that those rhythms are real, though they do vary by person somewhat so there isn't one impact here.

BUT, here's the thing: we are mostly still ruled by the clock, i.e. we don't change when we start or end work based on the season, but our circadian rhythms are NOT set to the clock but ARE set to the sun and the seasons.

So what happens when we don't shift in response to the movement of the planet is that our rhythms in either summer or winter will be well out of whack with the clocks that rule our lives, and will do so every day. Yes we adjust, but our NATURAL rhythms will be off as we are ignoring the sun and planet that really is what we are tuned to observe.

So if we make DST permanent what happens to our rhythms when we get up, get ready, commute and are at work before sunrise for several weeks a year, when we otherwise never do that? When we leave our kids at bus stops and they are at school and in class before sunrise in some areas?

I think what people really want is just more daylight, i.e. lock the planet in at the correct angle so it's always summer in our hemisphere. I'm all for it, but even the US Congress can't make that one happen.

I get that doing an hour all at once is a clear shift, but really? Are these people laid up for a week if they change ONE time zone?

It's a small shift, and one that is necessary to avoid having our internal clocks even more far off from the official clocks that govern our universe. It seems the best approach overall, bc changing it 10 minutes a week for 6 weeks would be way too confusing.

I am usually up at 4:30-5:00 am summer or winter, regardless of what time it is.
    My alarm is set for 55:30 am and it never has a chance to go off.
    Unless, I get an occasional bout of insomnia, then, all bets are off and I am meaner than a sore-tailed bear for the rest of the day...

Oh, and I love the extra hour of daylight to do yardwork when I get home. That is my therapy...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

1 good thing about this: no matter when I go to sleep, I usually wake up at 5:30 am. With DST I'm now waking up at 6:30. It may take a few days before my body clock starts cheating me on sleep again.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19