Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

I hate Daylight Savings Time

...or more specifically, I hate moving clocks back and forth. Everybody walks around sleep-deprived and a little out of sync for a few days. It's unsafe: Accidents increase the Monday after DST.

All this to get another hour of sunlight in the summer? We can do that without moving the clocks back and forth. Now that we've "sprung forward," let's just not "fall back"--make this our permanent time zone in the US, but do away with moving the clocks around.

Who's with me? Government, get your hands off my alarm clock!
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Re: I hate Daylight Savings Time

+1,000,000,000,000................................ ..........
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

One more in agreement.

U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

My alarm went off this morning and it was still dark!
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

We had one of my son's friends spending the night with us one year where "spring forward" took place. We had arranged to meet the parents and return their son to them at church. We went to church, and when church ended, they were nowhere to be found.

This was before the days of widespread cell phone usage, and we called them at home--no answer. We finally took him back home, and called them at home. Turned out, they missed the "spring forward" time, and were getting ready to go to church an hour late.

One of the parents is a neuroscientist; the other an academic egg-head. Not sure either of them could tell time.

Just imagine the effort clock makers and repair shops have to put forth to reset all the non digital smart clocks in their shops twice a year. I have been in clock shops that have hundreds of manual wind up clocks in inventory
    seeya
    dan

I like it. I really like those long afternoons.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    I like it. I really like those long afternoons.
    I like long afternoons, too. But I hate Daylight saving time.

Just keep it where it is now. Why cut it in the Fall?

I'm fine as long as we keep it where it is now, but in general I have to say I like it. I really don't want to give up DST b/c of summer evenings, but if we leave it like it is it's dark till way late in the morning. Given a choice I Prefer that, but I know not everyone likes that part, so I'm good with the current compromise.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I agree. I'm still out of synch.

Days get much longer/shorter up here than down south, and I like the adjustment

seeya
    dan

B/c of the hassle of changing clocks twice a year? Man, what a first world problem.

It does have an interesting history, and has involved some heavy lobbying over the decades. It's been extended now to the point that daylight savings, which was the innovation, is now the norm more than the 'regular' time. If we're going to do anything just keep DST, but the problem is we'll all be driving to work, and kids will be waiting for buses, in the dark for 4 months, even more than now.

That's the real reason for it all. Personally I'd rather stay closer to actual daylight with our clocks, and the only way to do that is to shift them as the earth wobbles.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Re-upping in recognition of the coming collective sleep deprivation....

I don't mind it at all. Like CBBN, if one stays permanent, I'll take DST.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

^Yes, that's my solution, too. Spring forward once and stay there. I keep trying to figure out who would be against this.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    I don't mind it at all. Like CBBN, if one stays permanent, I'll take DST.
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    ^Yes, that's my solution, too. Spring forward once and stay there. I keep trying to figure out who would be against this.
    Believe it or not the biggest lobby for going back in fall/winter traditionally has been rural groups. The problem is the sun doesn't come up very early at all if you don't fall back so kids waiting for buses and guys going out to farm are doing it in the dark a lot longer and more often.

I think that group has softened on it over time, but the politics of it have been a pull between those who want the sun up earlier in the day and those who want it to be sunny later in the day.

The last time there was a fight over the timing of it the candy industry lobbied hard to keep the date from falling back till after Halloween, to allow for more trick or treating.

We actually studied this in a class taught by Murray Weidenbaum, who was chair of Reagan's first Council of Economic Advisors. Brilliant man, the class was in the study of political interaction with economics, so we studied how politics and lobbying for economic interests really works in Washington.

This one was picked b/c it's a great example of how there is NOTHING in Washington that isn't lobbied and political, with special interests finding ways to argue over it. After finding out people were spending money wining and dining Senators over literally the determination of the time of day I became a cynic on all things decided by government.

I don't mind the change, I just hate changing the batteries in the smoke detectors.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

I like the change to dst, but don't like the fall change and the loss of an hour of daylight in the evenings. If I was to choose one it would be dst.

Rupp's Runt
    If I was going to change, I would fall back early Dec and spring forward mid Feb.

Otherwise spring forward and leave it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I am going to be cranky Monday morning and probably for the next 3 or 4 mornings as well. Let the sun tell the time and quit mucking about with it twice a year
    seeya
    dan

Re-upping, ahead of the heinous leap forward.

BTW, Florida just passed a law to stay permanently in DST, my preferred solution. Would love to see this nationwide.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/07/us/fl...rnd/index.html

I find the level of controversy over it interesting. When you talk to folks though I discover that while they all want it to not change, they're split on which time they want to keep.

But this is one area where IMO it needs to be federal, and that's that. Standard time was created by the railroads b/c every locality set their own times, and it was a mess.

There's no constitutional power for such a thing, so we'd all just have to agree to stick together on this, so it won't happen, but time needs to be standardized for whatever we pick.

Just pick one. I hate the changes!

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I am going to be cranky Monday morning and probably for the next 3 or 4 mornings as well. Let the sun tell the time and quit mucking about with it twice a year
    There it is! Let the sun tell the time.

I heard a FL law maker said doing away with it in the state would be good for tourism because tourist could enjoy the sun longer.

Did I miss something? Does the earths rotation speed up between March and October? When I’m in FL I hit the beach at sun up, don’t really pay any attention to what time it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I'd prefer DST year round, I prefer the light at the end of the day.

I woke up at 5:30 (usually 5:00) but my phone said it was 6:30. That’s about the extent of the effect the change has on me.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    I woke up at 5:30 (usually 5:00) but my phone said it was 6:30. That’s about the extent of the effect the change has on me.
    Ditto, my seven year old grandson didn’t get the DST memo. He woke me up at 7:30 and the clock said 8:30... time to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire