Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: I hate Daylight Savings Time

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    This guy has been leading the "charge" (more like shuffle) against DST for years:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2005/...john-j-miller/

Shifting back and forth doesn't save energy, it doesn't help agriculture, and there are more traffic accidents and fatal industrial accidents on the Monday after DST. We've gone long periods of time before (WWII and the 70s) in permanent DST. Somehow the Republic survived.

I like permanent DST--it gives us the longer summer evenings. Yes, it means it's dark longer in the mornings in winter. It's dark in the morning in winter, anyway, and it's winter, so I'm prepared to be miserable.

But even if we went with permanent Standard Time: fine. Just pick one, already.
    You already root for snow in the winter, now you want Alaska darkness too? You must have one heck of a Vitamin D lamp.

If we went with just one I'd want longer days and darker mornings myself.

My complaint is winter, regardless of how we score it on a clock. Days are just too short, but nothing we can do about it.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

For 3 years I lived in Puerto Rico, which was on year-round Atlantic Time. So for half the year we were 1 hour ahead of ET and half the year were the same time. It was weird, but we didn't have the body clock issues.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    You already root for snow in the winter, now you want Alaska darkness too? You must have one heck of a Vitamin D lamp.

If we went with just one I'd want longer days and darker mornings myself.

My complaint is winter, regardless of how we score it on a clock. Days are just too short, but nothing we can do about it.
    I’m all for year round daylight savings time. I hate it getting dark so early in the evenings.

We're getting ready to repeat a mistake we make this time every year.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

I was wondering when this thread would rear its ugly head lol

I hate Daylight Savings Time

Don’t we like it in the fall because we get an extra hour of sleep?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I hate losing the hour of light at night, but I'm not in love with waking up in the dark either.

Can we just work with NASA to stop the wobble and leave the Northern Hemisphere in permanent tilt to the sun? That would seem to satisfy everyone.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

There's a solution to waking up in the dark. Roll over. I highly recommend it.
    Real Fan since 1958

It is more exaggerated in the north. I’d guess here above 45th parallel it’s likely 45 minutes different from Kentucky. But I like DST. If we were to lose it, I’d prefer to stay an hour ahead.
    Last edited by bigsky; 11-05-2021 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    There's a solution to waking up in the dark. Roll over. I highly recommend it.
    It works great on weekends when I don't have an auction. Not as good for getting step daughter to school however.

Sunset tonight will be 5:37 est

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Sunset tonight will be 5:37 est

Sunrise today was 7:13. Sunset will be 5:02. Here somewhat above the 45th parallel.

I would prefer the fall back occurred on Sunday nights instead of Saturdays so I would get that extra hour on Monday morning. I don’t really need it on Sunday morning. They can keep the spring forward on Saturdays.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

How does one get this extra hour of sleep? I wake up and the clock says it is an hour earlier now.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    How does one get this extra hour of sleep? I wake up and the clock says it is an hour earlier now.
    Same. Somebody forgets to tell my body.

To give you an idea of what year-round time would look like, I'm taking Danville, KY (geographic center of KY):

Year-round Standard Time:

Longest day (June 21): Sunrise 5:16, Sunset 8:05
    Shortest day (December 21): Sunrise 7:48, Sunset 5:25

Year round DST:

Longest day (June 21): Sunrise 6:16, Sunset 9:05
    Shortest day (December 21): Sunrise 8:48, Sunset 6:25
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 11-04-2022 at 12:48 PM.

5:34am to 9:17pm june 20, 2022
    8:01am to 4:42pm Dec. 20,2022

BozemanMT
    Last edited by bigsky; 11-04-2022 at 02:24 PM.

So sunrise at 9:01am here wth full time dst.

No

Switching time make the most sense. The planet wobbles. Humans trying to force a linear model on a planet that is not linear doesn't make much sense to me.

Until we started trying to keep track of "time" humans automatically adjusted their internal clocks to that wobble. Why would we ignore it now? it doesn't suit us as well biologically IMO.

In the Smokey’s today 7:59am - 6:36pm

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    So sunrise at 9:01am here wth full time dst.

No
    I think this is the resistance to full-time DST.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    I think this is the resistance to full-time DST.
    And at the summer solstice the sun would rise at 4:34am.

I like switchin.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    And at the summer solstice the sun would rise at 4:34am.

I like switchin.
    Me too. I really don't get the opposition to how we do it. It is much more in tune with the movement of the planet, and losing or gaining one hour once per year each seems a small price to keep our basic life schedule at least somewhat more in tune with the planet.

I get that it's dark really early in the winter, but that's not the fault of a clock. We just have less daylight at that point and if we stretch to keep more after work it means we're all going to work before the sun comes up. I don't care for that plan.

If it were not so nasty, bug infested, and hot, I would move to the equator and have a 12 and 12 hour light and dark experience.

About 25 or 30 years ago, my wife and I got a call one night in December about 7:00 one evening. Wife answered the phone and it was a call from her younger sister who was a nurse in the army at that time. She was stationed in Nome Alaska. After about a 10 minute conversation my wife motioned to me then handed me the phone and I spent the next 30 to 45 minutes talking her sister down off the ledge. She was absolutely having a nervous breakdown from all the 24 hour per day darkness and dealing with roaming polar bears in the blinding snow and darkness. We talked a few more times that winter before the sun reappeared and she put in for a transfer and wound up in Washington State. She said that was a bit better but it was cloudy and dreary a lot. She had gone into the service intending to make it a 20 year career, but at the end of 4 years she had had enough of the nomads life and got out and came home.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Here we go again....

I've almost come full circle on this. I used to be for permanent DST, then I didn't really care as long as it's permanent something. Now I think I'm for permanent standard time.

Regardless, I don't think anything's going to change anytime soon.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 03-10-2023 at 12:41 PM.

Yep, it’s that time again, except now we have to payback the hour we got last fall.

I don’t care what they do with the time, for me it’s only inconvenient for a day or two.

Rupp's Runt

I'm ready for the daylight when I get home!

Tonight’s the night, move’m up.

[QUOTE=blueboss;816664]Tonight’s the night, move’m up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOT

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The rest of the country will just have to adapt to MY time
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Normally it's not a big deal to me. But I'm on Eastern Time for a few days, and I normally am on Central time in birmingham. Why that matters is because I am making airport runs to take my son in the morning at 8:00 a.m., which is really 7:00 a.m. Central time, which is really 6:00 a.m. the day before time because of it. That's bad enough, but my daughter's flight leaves Monday at 6:00 a.m. She will want to be at the airport at 4:30 a.m. I'm not going to even try to do the math on that one.