Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: .22 CCI low noise ammunition? And mail-order ammunition questions?

.22 CCI low noise ammunition? And mail-order ammunition questions?

I started to include it in the other thread about ammo, but decided it might be sidetracking it too much to ask specific questions--plus I wanted to make sure people saw it and could respond.

I have two questions. First, I live in an unincorporated area, but it is a subdivision. I have houses near me, although my back yard extends into woods and goes about 3/4ths of an acre. Anyway, I have no problem taking a pellet rifle and shooting it in the backyard; it makes no alarming noise, and doesn't disturb anyone.

I'm not sure I want to do this, but I was thinking about very occasional plinking, or if I have a larger pest animal in my yard that my .22 pellet rifle may not adequately handle (or, if it is possible that I may need more than one shot quickly), I thought it would be nice to be able to use my .22 Mark III Ruger pistol. It is very accurate, and I was told that the "low noise" ammunition would make it equivalent to the sound of your average air rifle.

True? Anyone bought this and vouch for it?

2nd question--

Have any of you bought ammunition through the mail/internet? Have any recommendations for places to purchase? I have a buddy who doesn't really shop around very much, and is pretty impulsive (he went 20 years without shooting a gun, and now shoots 3x a week at an indoor gun range, and has purchased six new handguns and is looking for more, in the last six weeks--does that give a decent idea?) Anyway, he bought ammo online from some place, and they delivered it to the office and he was very pleased. I asked him if the prices were good, and he said he didn't know.

Any of you bought that way? Any recommended places? Good prices, average prices, or is this the kind of thing you'd want to do if you just couldn't find anything local, and didn't mind paying a small premium?

Re: .22 CCI low noise ammunition? And mail-order ammunition questions?

online is fine if you can get it (legal in the state and ammo in stock). cheaperthandirt, ammotogo are two I know. cheaperthandirt can be, but you have to watch, sometimes it's "moreexpensivethananyoneelse".

Re low noise, compared to a full power air rifle I tend to agree, not a ton of difference. will be louder in the ruger than in a rifle, may still be able to get away with it though. I'd go that route over air, I just trust it more and it's faster to get a 2nd shot.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

There's lots of places to get ammunition, and almost all of them sell via the Internet. The two CBBN mentioned are good (although CheaperThanDirt sometimes isn't cheap at all!), there's NatchezShootersSupply, MidwayUSA, Georgia Arms.........just shop around, do some research, you'll find a good deal somewhere. Also, if they've sent you a magazine, booklet, or brochure and have a price listed for a certain type of ammo, ask if the advertised price is still the same. If it's too much higher than advertised, don't buy from them. A stated price is supposed to be a stated price.
    MOLON LABE!

Try this handy guide: http://www.wikiarms.com

Sweet, Keith.

OK--another question for you experts.

It will be louder in my Mark III Ruger .22 (which I love to shoot), I get that. I may have to manually cycle the ammo as well, which is ok. But if it's too loud, I may not be able to quietly do what I'd like to be able to do.

Am I going to have to go to a 22 rifle? Maybe a 22 LR bolt action? My wife would kill me if I pick one up, but maybe she'd not notice, and think it was the 22 pellet rifle I have.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 03-05-2015 at 05:52 PM.

Tough to say how loud it will be. Any handgun is louder, but not sure it will be all that much louder given it's 22. None of them are loud to me, I imagine the difference will be small. Also doubt you'll have to cycle the ruger manually b/c of the ammo, not in the Mark iii. Maybe, but it's pretty good at cycling. The Walther P22 and a couple of others have issues, they take CCI maxi to be 100% b/c of the slide weight.

If you need a 22 rifle I'll send one to your local FFL. She can't complain then. Well she can, but it'll be tougher.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    OK--another question for you experts.

It will be louder in my Mark III Ruger .22 (which I love to shoot), I get that. I may have to manually cycle the ammo as well, which is ok. But if it's too loud, I may not be able to quietly do what I'd like to be able to do.

Am I going to have to go to a 22 rifle? Maybe a 22 LR bolt action? My wife would kill me if I pick one up, but maybe she'd not notice, and think it was the 22 pellet rifle I have.
    .22 in semiauto may be less expensive. You can buy them new for under $175.
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Produ...spx?catid=7778

I've had a Marlin model 60 that I bought new 30 years ago. I think I gave about $60 for it back then.

Decent bolt actions are a bit higher.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post

.22 in semiauto may be less expensive. You can buy them new for under $175.
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/Produ...spx?catid=7778

I've had a Marlin model 60 that I bought new 30 years ago. I think I gave about $60 for it back then.

Decent bolt actions are a bit higher.
    Yeah, but if I'm looking at the low noise ammo, it might not cycle, so I was thinking a basic bolt action would be good. Besides, that sorta hits my Luddite cool factor .

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Tough to say how loud it will be. Any handgun is louder, but not sure it will be all that much louder given it's 22. None of them are loud to me, I imagine the difference will be small. Also doubt you'll have to cycle the ruger manually b/c of the ammo, not in the Mark iii. Maybe, but it's pretty good at cycling. The Walther P22 and a couple of others have issues, they take CCI maxi to be 100% b/c of the slide weight.

If you need a 22 rifle I'll send one to your local FFL. She can't complain then. Well she can, but it'll be tougher.
    You get any 22 rifles from time to time? I may get you to look for one for me, no kidding.

Got at least a dozen or two. any preference? Single shot bolt, bolt with magazine, tube fed, lever action, semi-auto?

I'll talk to you about it, but I think I'd enjoy a bolt with magazine a lot, if you come across that sometime.

Got at least a dozen or two. any preference? Single shot bolt, bolt with magazine, tube fed, lever action, semi-auto?
    When is your next auction catalog going to be available?

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    When is your next auction catalog going to be available?
    Good dang question, lol.

Next gun/knife/coin auction is the 22nd of March, had to move it back a week with this weather. I'm down doing gun inventory today, doubt I get everything in but we'll have a bunch.

Good dang question, lol.

Next gun/knife/coin auction is the 22nd of March, had to move it back a week with this weather. I'm down doing gun inventory today, doubt I get everything in but we'll have a bunch.
    Bring a supply to Nashville with you next week to the SEC tournament and let me look at them. I'm sure Nashville police would think nothing of a bunch of rifles in the trunk of a car in the parking lot of a hotel by the airport...

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Bring a supply to Nashville with you next week to the SEC tournament and let me look at them. I'm sure Nashville police would think nothing of a bunch of rifles in the trunk of a car in the parking lot of a hotel by the airport...
    I'm a FFL. I can do exactly that, I just can't sell them to you there, but I surely can transport them.

You'll be close, come up and I'll go through this week and see what I've got. I've even got some low noise CCI ammo I think. Not much but a little, pretty sure.

Remington built a couple of bolt action rifles back in the 30'S and they were designated target masters and I both models. Single shot, bolt action, and shoots shorts, longs and long rifle. Super nice rifles.

IMO all the old generation Remington 22 bolt actions are great guns, some are exceptional. I have both Targetmasters and Woodsmasters, and love them. They were family guns so I'd love them anyway, but great guns.

Can't beat those vintage 22 rifles or the older 22 revolvers by H&R and a few others. Nothing fancy, but they're tack drivers.

IMO all the old generation Remington 22 bolt actions are great guns, some are exceptional. I have both Targetmasters and Woodsmasters, and love them. They were family guns so I'd love them anyway, but great guns.

Can't beat those vintage 22 rifles or the older 22 revolvers by H&R and a few others. Nothing fancy, but they're tack drivers.
    Remington, Winchester and others had some great .22 single shot bolt actions in the first half of the 20th Century. My BIL had a Remington when I was a teen that I shot a lot. Ammo was cheap, so I could pick up some pop bottles along the road, cash them in and buy some .22 LR. I think I paid 50 cents for a box of 50. I'd love to have a few thousand dollars worth of .22 at those prices today!