Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: "Hanoi Jane."

Fiddlin' Five

"Hanoi Jane."

She may be one of the few traitors never prosecuted. "she does not regret her time in Vietnam, ultimately calling her trip "an incredible experience.”

MILAN, ITALY - JANUARY 18: Jane Fonda attends 'Che Tempo Che Fa' TV Show on January 18, 2015 in Milan, Italy. (Photo by Stefania D'Alessandro/Getty Images)  © Stefania D'Alessandro via Getty Images MILAN, ITALY - JANUARY 18: Jane Fonda attends 'Che Tempo Che Fa' TV Show on January 18, 2015 in Milan, Italy. (Photo by Stefania D'Alessandro/Getty Images)

Jane Fonda has called her infamous Vietnam photograph a "huge mistake." After drawing protesters around an appearance in Maryland on Saturday, the 77-year-old addressed the issue which has led to her being labeled as "Hanoi Jane."

“Whenever possible I try to sit down with vets and talk with them, because I understand and it makes me sad,” Fonda said, in response to an audience-submitted question. “It hurts me and it will to my grave that I made a huge, huge mistake that made a lot of people think I was against the soldiers.”

The Frederick News-Post reported that many of the protestors were veterans. They rallied outside of the theater where Fonda was scheduled to speak for about two hours, booing those who entered and holding signs which read, “Forgive? Maybe. Forget? Never."

In 1972, Fonda traveled to Hanoi in North Vietnam. She posed for the now-notorious photo, sitting on an anti-aircraft battery and wearing a helmet. She spoke out about attacks along the Red River, and was widely believed to be against American soldiers.

This is not the first time the actress has addressed her reputation as a "traitor." In 2011, she wrote a blog for HuffPost, hoping to tell the "truth" about her story. "These lies have circulated for almost 40 years," she wrote, "continually reopening the wound of the Vietnam War and causing pain to families of American servicemen. The lies distort the truth of why I went to North Vietnam and they perpetuate the myth that being anti-war means being anti-soldier."

In 2013, during an appearance on "Oprah's Master Class," Fonda previously called the photo an "unforgivable mistake."

"I’m a lightning rod,” she told the audience at her Saturday event. “This famous person goes and does something that looks like I’m against the troops, which wasn’t true, but it looked that way, and I’m a convenient target. So, I understand.”

It would appear that what Fonda is ultimately "haunted by" is that she's seen by many as anti-soldier. According to the Frederick News-Post, she does not regret her time in Vietnam, ultimately calling her trip "an incredible experience.”
    Last edited by cattails; 01-19-2015 at 06:58 PM.

Re: "Hanoi Jane."

Micheal Moore has done much the same thing with his recent comments concerning the film "American Sniper" where he called them cowards. Tough pill to swallow and I see no way to "forgive" anybody who calls a person who risks his life to protect my way of life, a coward.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Micheal Moore has done much the same thing with his recent comments concerning the film "American Sniper" where he called them cowards. Tough pill to swallow and I see no way to "forgive" anybody who calls a person who risks his life to protect my way of life, a coward.

Moore is a fat pig

Jane is just a b

Cracks me up that a slob like Moore would call anyone who risks their life in combat a coward. He's the poster boy for cowardice, and sloth and gluttony and a few other items.

As for Hanoi Jane, yeah it's tough to interpret a trip to North Vietnam at the height of the war including photo-ops to be just "anti-war" but still supporting our troops. Unless you've been kicked in the head a lot IMO.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fiddlin' Five

Yes but Hanoi Jane went to Vietnam and supported the North when she went to the prison camp and caused much pain for the men there, she should have been in a US prison, Moore is only expressing his opinion, which is total BS. I know some snipers from Vietnam and Iraq era, they are a different breed. Have been working with a retired military special opps operator. You wouldn't know any of these guys were any different than a "very" normal person, very cool collected individuals. One individual that our company did some work for was a sniper/special opps and I think he still is today on a contract basis. One of my employees asked him about any of his missions and he dead pan said he would have to kill you if I told you, he never cracked a smile and said seriously, makes really good money 3 months at a time, he told me 90K was tax free and the rest was taxed. Some of the nicest people you'll ever meet but do a dangerous job. Moore is nothing more than an idiot who needs to be sent to the front line to live it and get back to us.

Michael Moore is a

Quote Originally Posted by cattails View Post
    Yes but Hanoi Jane went to Vietnam and supported the North when she went to the prison camp and caused much pain for the men there, she should have been in a US prison, Moore is only expressing his opinion, which is total BS. I know some snipers from Vietnam and Iraq era, they are a different breed. Have been working with a retired military special opps operator. You wouldn't know any of these guys were any different than a "very" normal person, very cool collected individuals. One individual that our company did some work for was a sniper/special opps and I think he still is today on a contract basis. One of my employees asked him about any of his missions and he dead pan said he would have to kill you if I told you, he never cracked a smile and said seriously, makes really good money 3 months at a time, he told me 90K was tax free and the rest was taxed. Some of the nicest people you'll ever meet but do a dangerous job. Moore is nothing more than an idiot who needs to be sent to the front line to live it and get back to us.
    Yep, just ask Kurt Busch's ex!
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Rupp's Runt

Hanoi Jane gets no forgiveness here. She's a "zero", not a hero, as some want you to believe. She's a traitor, plain & simple. I refuse to watch ANY of her movies, most of which are trash anyway, just like her.

And if Vietnam had been a "declared" war she should have been tried, convicted, and imprisoned for treason. Once again, a war we can thank Democrats for.
    MOLON LABE!

Fiddlin' Five

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Hanoi Jane gets no forgiveness here. She's a "zero", not a hero, as some want you to believe. She's a traitor, plain & simple. I refuse to watch ANY of her movies, most of which are trash anyway, just like her.

And if Vietnam had been a "declared" war she should have been tried, convicted, and imprisoned for treason. Once again, a war we can thank Democrats for.
    We were in a war we couldn't win, should not have been there, but you still have to support the troops and thank you Democrats for sending us there. Didn't learn a think from the French.

I might disagree with a war, the purpose or reasons or goals, etc... but those disagreements would be with the bafoons in Washington who instigate the war. I will ALWAYS support the troops. The people who are on the ground facing death deserve our support 100% even if you disagree with the conflict. As for Hanoi Jane, her actions paled to Fat Asses IMO. Calling a soldier a coward goes beyond disgusting in my book. Oh, don't get me wrong, I despise what Fonda did but her actions were anti-war and less anti soldier. Moore was anti-soldier. On a scale of 1-10, hers was an 8, his was a 12

Rupp's Runt

I don't know, Doc. I don't know how true, or even if the stories are true, of her receiving messages from troops in secret and she then turned these messages over to the NVA right in front of the troops that gave the messages to her.
    If that story is true, and harm came to that troop or troops because of her, then she's much worse than Michael Moore. That puts her in the same territory as a child molester, as far as I'm concerned, so she gets no forgiveness or sympathy. She is a no good lousy POS traitor that deserves no understanding. If she did that, then the only thing she needs to understand is a coarse piece of rope around her traitorous neck. She knew exactly what she was doing, and in doing so betrayed her country and those American troops that sought her help because she's an American.
    Just as Bergdahl should receive for his actions in Afghanistan. He took an oath and swore to protect & defend the Constitution and to obey the orders of his appointed superiors. He abandoned his post without being properly relieved, and others soldiers died in combat trying to rescue him from enemy combatants. He walked away from his fellow soldiers and his country and colluded with the Taliban against coalition forces. How can that not be treason? And then he gets frigging promoted and gets back pay and now has a nice cushy desk job and is probably going to get a general discharge under honorable conditions and just get to walk away with no military judicial action of any consequence. Judas H. Priest!
    No accountability, no consequences, and no justice for our nation and its warriors.
    MOLON LABE!

Unforgettable

I might disagree with a war, the purpose or reasons or goals, etc... but those disagreements would be with the bafoons in Washington who instigate the war. I will ALWAYS support the troops. The people who are on the ground facing death deserve our support 100% even if you disagree with the conflict. As for Hanoi Jane, her actions paled to Fat Asses IMO. Calling a soldier a coward goes beyond disgusting in my book. Oh, don't get me wrong, I despise what Fonda did but her actions were anti-war and less anti soldier. Moore was anti-soldier. On a scale of 1-10, hers was an 8, his was a 12
    Except when she took slips of paper given to her by American prisoners of war to get info back to the states and gave them to the Cong captors who then tortured our guys even worse. in my book, that makes her a traitor and even worse than the fat ass Moore.

Unforgettable

Quote Originally Posted by cattails View Post
    We were in a war we couldn't win, should not have been there, but you still have to support the troops and thank you Democrats for sending us there. Didn't learn a think from the French.
    Actually Carl we could have won if allowed to. But when pilots are told to hit the same barn every day in Hanoi vs the strategic targets they could have taken out, then we weren't going to win. My neighbor fly for the Air Force off carriers, lost friends, flew over Hanoi, could have taken out most of the city but was not allowed to win. That is what pisses me off about that war, we weren't allowed to use what was at our disposal and might to WIN the damn thing. We had to play along for years losing thousands of lives while fat cats back here made millions off the 'war effort'. I hope Johnson is burning in hell

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

We can agree to disagree about the politics of Vietnam. Jane Fonda' crossed the line. A movie theatre owner in Elizabethtown refused for years to show her films and I have the greatest respect for him for doing that.

The trip, the photo, just a disgrace.

For Michael Moore to call a US soldier who served his country in a combat zone a coward is horrible. He is a hero for serving. War is a dirty business and killing is wrong. But this soldier saved American lives by taking the lives of others.

No use for these people who attack the soldiers.

I don't know, Doc. I don't know how true, or even if the stories are true, of her receiving messages from troops in secret and she then turned these messages over to the NVA right in front of the troops that gave the messages to her.
    If that story is true, and harm came to that troop or troops because of her, then she's much worse than Michael Moore. That puts her in the same territory as a child molester, as far as I'm concerned, so she gets no forgiveness or sympathy. She is a no good lousy POS traitor that deserves no understanding. If she did that, then the only thing she needs to understand is a coarse piece of rope around her traitorous neck. She knew exactly what she was doing, and in doing so betrayed her country and those American troops that sought her help because she's an American.
    Just as Bergdahl should receive for his actions in Afghanistan. He took an oath and swore to protect & defend the Constitution and to obey the orders of his appointed superiors. He abandoned his post without being properly relieved, and others soldiers died in combat trying to rescue him from enemy combatants. He walked away from his fellow soldiers and his country and colluded with the Taliban against coalition forces. How can that not be treason? And then he gets frigging promoted and gets back pay and now has a nice cushy desk job and is probably going to get a general discharge under honorable conditions and just get to walk away with no military judicial action of any consequence. Judas H. Priest!
    No accountability, no consequences, and no justice for our nation and its warriors.

If the rumors are true, then she falls to the same lowly level as Moore

FWIW, Snopes.com says the rumors of the message smuggling are false.

http://www.snopes.com/military/fonda.asp

Fiddlin' Five

Yep, just ask Kurt Busch's ex!
    Yep, I just caught that, she was reported to be a mad mama!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    FWIW, Snopes.com says the rumors of the message smuggling are false.

http://www.snopes.com/military/fonda.asp

That is what I recalled but was too lazy to do the leg work.

Fiddlin' Five

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    Actually Carl we could have won if allowed to. But when pilots are told to hit the same barn every day in Hanoi vs the strategic targets they could have taken out, then we weren't going to win. My neighbor fly for the Air Force off carriers, lost friends, flew over Hanoi, could have taken out most of the city but was not allowed to win. That is what pisses me off about that war, we weren't allowed to use what was at our disposal and might to WIN the damn thing. We had to play along for years losing thousands of lives while fat cats back here made millions off the 'war effort'. I hope Johnson is burning in hell
    Skip, here is the thing most people don't understand is that there was a tunnel system that was a serious of cities, even hospitals and command centers. VC used gorilla warfare, make quick strikes and back to the tunnels, bombing had little effect on this, besides we would have to place our bombs in the south, jet fighters yes, bombers, no. Now the NVA was a different story, tanks, longs range guns, meg jet fighters, anti aircraft etc, etc. VC were a different breed, the tunnels were controlled by the VC. VC come out at night drop a serious of rocket attacks and return to their secure tunnels only to return again. The bombing you speak of was in the north and what you say is most likely true as I have heard the same. But it still remains that the VC were well engaged in the south. The TET offensive brought out all hell breaks loose, full scale attack on the south, many VC and NVA lost their lives as they went to war in an open battle field (yes it was still jungle) but it was a full out attack, there was no retreating back to the tunnels. They threw all they had at us and we kicked some serious ass. I just don't believe the gorilla warfare would have stopped. I don't believe the south would have ever been safe. JMHO.
    Last edited by cattails; 01-20-2015 at 05:17 PM.

Unforgettable

she still is a POS

Unforgettable

Carl, I know you were there and I was lucky enough to fail the physical and keep me from being in the Marines. But those I know who were there in combat and like my neighbor all said we could have won had we been allowed to. I think if we had brought the north to their knees, the VC would not have had their supplies much longer, nor there weapons and bullets. And those tunnels should have been carpet bombed over and over, all rats die sooner or later. But regardless, LBJ and company never let the guys try to win, imo he and his buds made millions off supplies shipped to the military and I have no use for any of them regardless if they have a D or R after their titles.

"Hanoi Jane."

Hanoi Jane would never have been in North Vietnam in 1972 if Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger had not sabotaged President Johnson's peace deal two weeks before the 1968 election. Tricky Dick did it because he would have lost the presidential election if he didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fiddlin' Five

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    Carl, I know you were there and I was lucky enough to fail the physical and keep me from being in the Marines. But those I know who were there in combat and like my neighbor all said we could have won had we been allowed to. I think if we had brought the north to their knees, the VC would not have had their supplies much longer, nor there weapons and bullets. And those tunnels should have been carpet bombed over and over, all rats die sooner or later. But regardless, LBJ and company never let the guys try to win, imo he and his buds made millions off supplies shipped to the military and I have no use for any of them regardless if they have a D or R after their titles.
    JMO but you could be right, but there was no bombing the tunnels, we are talking in South Vietnam. I never went into a tunnel but I have friends that were tunnel rats and a good friend that has done a tour in Vietnam and been in the tunnels, needless to say it was a maze. I see no way to bomb the tunnels, who knew where they were? It was massive and in the south. We landed in Saigon and then departed to the jungle in Chu Lai (which was north towards the DMZ), we also had a base in Tam Ky (more north). Saigon was a big city and in the deep south. Don't know all the answers, but to take out the tunnels you would have to take out South Vietnam. Where we were the people lived in villages, small community living in small huts made of nothing more than what ever they could put together to shelter themselves. Some were VC friendly, some were not, they all looked alike, but this tunnel system ran a long ways and was big.
    Last edited by cattails; 01-21-2015 at 12:01 AM.