Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Barnhart, Stoops hope extension shows UK committed to football

7 Time Ky Sportswriter
    of the Year

Barnhart, Stoops hope extension shows UK committed to football

He’s grateful for what Kentucky athletics director Mitch Barnhart did for him, but coach Mark Stoops was more focused on winning this year than the contract extension he now has through the 2019 season — meaning he has five years left on his contract just like the day he did when he signed with UK.

Stoops said the contract extension, which was announced Friday just before the Wildcats headed to Missouri for Saturday’s game, showed that both he and UK officials are “committed” to the football program.

“Really excited about the direction he has us going on and off the field. Academically, our guys have made progress. Athletically, we’ve made progress, and on the recruiting trail, there’s no one that works harder than Mark and his staff, so we’re really excited about that,” Kentucky athletics director Mitch Barnhart said.

“He’s been a real pleasure to work with and has made coming over to the Nutter Center and Commonwealth Stadium a lot of fun and I appreciate it very, very much. (The) success we’ve had so far this year has been encouraging, but that’s not what this is about. It’s certainly moved us in the right direction. It’s about the general direction of the trajectory of our program and so we’re really, really excited about that piece. We’ll continue to build on that and work on that through the rest of this season and over the next five and a half years.”

Barnhart said Stoops had “energized” the fan base in his two years at UK.

“That’s exciting for us. He’s been extremely helpful to our program in the fundraising area as we build our new football training center. We break ground on that in January. He’s done a tremendous job in the fund-raising area as well and I’m appreciative of that. The recruits he’s brought in have played an integral role again in the growth of this program,” Barnhart said.

“What’s also impressive to me is the way he has blended folks that he came here, inherited in our program. I think they have bought into his system and his belief in him and that’s shown up on our field of play. That’s been really exciting to watch that as well. The continuity in practice, the way that they have bought his system not only strategically but the culture he’s trying to create has been really, really important for me to watch.”

Stoops has already has his name mentioned as a possible coach next year at Michigan and Florida even though both schools still have head coaches going through losing seasons.

“I hate to go on and on about it, but I think it says that we’re committed to each other. It means a lot to me. I think I’ve felt great support from the moment that I’ve been here through right now. If you know anything about myself, about my family, past history — whether it be with my brothers and different people — loyalty’s a pretty big thing with us,” Stoops said. “And I certainly feel the loyalty to this program, to our players and all the people that have been so involved and helped us get to where we’re at and where we’re going. So we have a lot of work to do, but just feel very good about where we’re at and where we’re headed.”

Barnhart, just as he has when UK basketball coach John Calipari’s name is mentioned with job openings, said he “wasn’t worried” about other jobs.

“For all those who are wanting to make sure that we are committed to growing this football program, I think these are clear indications it’s important to us. And we’re growing it the right way. We’ve got the right guy. We’ve still got to go win some games; everybody understands that, and we’re in a tough conference. But I think this sends the message that we’re firmly committed to this thing and seeing this thing through,” Barnhart said.

“This is about our relationship, and I don’t ever want it — I think people, when you start worrying about other folks, that’s when you get distracted. And Mark is really good about not worrying about other people, and I want to make sure we don’t get all hung up on worrying about other people. And he never came up and said, ‘If this, then that.’ I never got — and I hate the word leverage. That’s the dumbest word in the history of words.

“Fairness is what I think Mark is really all about, and I love that. And I love the fact that I feel like he wants to for a good job for the University of Kentucky for all the right reasons. He’s a solid, obviously, really solid, great football coach. I really love what he’s doing with our football program, but more than that, he’s just a great person.”

Stoops said he’s always felt “comfortable” with Barnhart, another reason he enjoys being at UK.

“You’ve obviously not always gonna be right, but it didn’t take work for us to get connected and be on the same page. It’s always been an easy relationship that way. Anybody is gonna have differences here and there, but it’s just been a good working relationship, and we hope to continue that,” he said.

Obviously Barnhart feels the same way because there is no buyout in Stoops’ contract should he decide to leave Kentucky.

“I’ve never been a big believer in them. I think if people want to be with you, they’re going to be with you. If they’re not, then … I’ve had them from time to time, and they always end in a really difficult spot for people,” Barnhart said. “I think it’s really difficult to have the relationship you want to have. It’s hard, so I’ve never really — I want people at the university who want to be here. If they don’t, then we need to find somebody that does.

“Loyalty is a strong word in my book, and I think people throw it around pretty loosely at times. I want folks who are going to want to be loyal to what we’re trying to do here, and I don’t think you need buyouts to do that. And again, I’m not saying I’ve never used them. I’ve used them, and again, I just don’t think it’s always ended well, the relationship piece.”

Fab Five

Re: Barnhart, Stoops hope extension shows UK committed to football

Larry, I chatted briefly last Saturday with Dr.Capilouto. He understands the importance of football and knows the university's success is tied to football as well as basketball. There is no doubt he is 100% behind both coaches. He told me if I liked the basketball tournaments, I was going to love the bowl game we're going to this year.

LOVE this!!!

Peace

Richard (CW)

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Larry, I chatted briefly last Saturday with Dr.Capilouto. He understands the importance of football and knows the university's success is tied to football as well as basketball. There is no doubt he is 100% behind both coaches. He told me if I liked the basketball tournaments, I was going to love the bowl game we're going to this year.
    That guy has been a breath of fresh air for the University in so many ways. I'm glad he came along when he did.
    I wouldn't pull for UofL if they were playing the Taliban.