Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

WOW!!! WOW!!! UNC Admits To 18 Years Of Fraud; 3100 Students 47% Athletes

Will link in a minute. Involves 3 NCAA title teams.

Darryl

Re: WOW!!! WOW!!! UNC Admits To 18 Years Of Fraud; 3100 Students 47% Athletes

Fab Five

Here is one from ESPN: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...d-sham-classes

"When we find people who are accountable, we will take decisive action," she said.

The "she" is the Chancellor, Carol Folt. Hey, Carol, just look in a f&$king mirror.

Kenneth Wainstein, a white collar defense attorney and and chairman of the investigations group at the Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft law firm,said he found clear evidence that academic counselors from the football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball teams asked for players to be enrolled in bogus independent study classes in order for them to be eligible.

"We found evidence that both Crowder and Nyang’oro received requests that they award specific grades to certain student-athletes," the former federal prosecutor said in his 136-page report.
    In an interview Wednesday, Wainstein said athletic counselors knew these classes were grade point average boosters and steered athletes toward them for that reason.

Holy cow. not that it wasn't obvious to everyone with a pulse, but to see it in an official report. Wow.

How many wins do they have to be stripped of to fall behind the #4 team in all time wins?
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

BTW, steering players to these classes was the line in the sand the NCAA used in their statements about not investigating, that it was steering that would be a violation, and now here's proof of it. Or at least an official report saying it happened.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

And now your smoking gun:

A PowerPoint presentation football academic counselors gave to the football coaching staff in the fall of 2009 — when Crowder was retiring — was the clearest piece of evidence Wainstein and his team collected that demonstrated coaches' knowledge of and participation in the athletes' academic misconduct.

“(The counselors) were painfully aware that Crowder’s retirement would require the whole football team to adjust to the new reality of having to meet the academic requirements with real academic work," the report said.
    "(The counselors) conveyed this point loud and clear in a meeting with all of the football coaches in November 2009.
    A PowerPoint slide included in the report was titled “What was part of the solution in the past?” and listed the ways players were able to avoid doing actual work in these classes, including not having to meet with professors, go to class or stay awake.

“THESE NO LONGER EXIST,” the bottom of the slide said, alerting the coaches.

Rupp's Runt

And the NCAA still isn't going to do much of anything because now they'll say that UNC "cooperated" with independent investigators.

Just sit back and watch. Nothing is forthcoming from the NCAA. They just cannot have their "darling" receiving any penalties "after they've cooperated fully" in this investigation.

But had it been Kentucky, they would have done a 'Penn State' on us...........j/s.
    MOLON LABE!

All they're doing is throwing advisers under the bus. They're admitting that athletes were steered to non-classes to keep them eligible, but denying that coaches knew about it. Even though there were at least 4 football and 4 basketball coaches during that 18 year period.

The NCAA won't do anything.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

If this had been Kentucky we would not be allowed to have intramurals on campus. I am sure the NCAA won't do anything. For those within UNC who are open about this I respect that immensely.

This is institutionally sanctioned fraud at the highest level. While Penn State is far worse and any school administrator turning a blind eye to sexual assault or some such criminal offense is in another category, this is from an academic and athletic perspective the worst collegiate scandal we have seen.

Eric Manual's alleged doctored ACT is nothing compared to what took place in Chapel Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    And the NCAA still isn't going to do much of anything because now they'll say that UNC "cooperated" with independent investigators.

Just sit back and watch. Nothing is forthcoming from the NCAA. They just cannot have their "darling" receiving any penalties "after they've cooperated fully" in this investigation.

But had it been Kentucky, they would have done a 'Penn State' on us...........j/s.

Of course the coaches knew nothing about it. They ALWAYS have the young men and their benefit at the heart of what they do. Winning would be the last thing on their minds. How dare anyone question that

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Yeah but...when the NCAA said that, the NCAA never thought that UNC would be honest enough to admit that they cheated far worse than Kentucky ever did.

Man, I am so overjoyed that I kind of want to cry. Those sanctimonious, self-righteous, sissy blue wearing hypocrites.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    BTW, steering players to these classes was the line in the sand the NCAA used in their statements about not investigating, that it was steering that would be a violation, and now here's proof of it. Or at least an official report saying it happened.

What about "strict liability"??? That is to say, the NCAA regarded Memphis and Cal culpable even if they were not aware of the malfeasance...

Unc***

Super Kitten

The NCAA may not care but the Department of Education on their accreditation organizations certainly will, and those are the bodies that affect whether or not you get financial aid and stuff like that. I can't imagine that on their next accreditation that they won't have to explain why they have committed academic fraud for the last two decades.
    Its FOOTBALL time in the Bluegrass...and some basketball talk!!!!

Unforgettable

That is exactly right. Strict Liability.

Quote Originally Posted by tbradg View Post
    What about "strict liability"??? That is to say, the NCAA regarded Memphis and Cal culpable even if they were not aware of the malfeasance...

Quote Originally Posted by MTcatfan View Post
    The NCAA may not care but the Department of Education on their accreditation organizations certainly will, and those are the bodies that affect whether or not you get financial aid and stuff like that. I can't imagine that on their next accreditation that they won't have to explain why they have committed academic fraud for the last two decades.
    I'm betting it comes up. 3,000+ students? And the report said that number was low, they just couldn't confirm the others (not sure why not).

Super Kitten

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I'm betting it comes up. 3,000+ students? And the report said that number was low, they just couldn't confirm the others (not sure why not).
    Yeah...something about those pesky organizations that expect you to actually provide an education to your students...
    Its FOOTBALL time in the Bluegrass...and some basketball talk!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tbradg View Post
    Exactly. Even though Cal was cleared, Memphis paid the price. Will UNC??

Absolutely mind-numbing.

Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post
    All they're doing is throwing advisers under the bus. They're admitting that athletes were steered to non-classes to keep them eligible, but denying that coaches knew about it. Even though there were at least 4 football and 4 basketball coaches during that 18 year period.

The NCAA won't do anything.
    Happened at UNC: No coaches or administration knew about it, so no penalties.

Happened at UK: No coaches or administration knew about it, so max penalties for lack of institutional control.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

BTW, this literally made me laugh out loud--emphasis in bold is mine:

Bob Ley‏@BobLeyESPN·2 hrs2 hours ago
    Roy Williams' frmr academic advsr tells investigators he knew classes were fraudlent at the time, but doesn't recall whether informed coach
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    From Darryl's link:

"The Wainstein report comes at a time when the NCAA has reopened its academic fraud case at North Carolina. Previously, the NCAA said there were no violations of NCAA policies. That was before Crowder and Nyang'oro agreed to speak with investigators.

North Carolina and the NCAA released a joint statement on Wednesday that said both sides continue to engage in an "independent and cooperative effort" to review possible NCAA violations.

"The information included in the Wainstein Report will be reviewed by the university and the enforcement staff under the same standards that are applied in all NCAA infractions cases," the statement said."

Is this not a perfect example of lack of institutional control?
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

To the contrary, the institution was controling all of this..

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Is this not a perfect example of lack of institutional control?

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    To the contrary, the institution was controling all of this..
    Nailed it.

There is sure a lot more incriminating information coming out. Sheep U can blame 8 or ten former employees for the whole thing, but the lack of oversight from the U is staggering. Other schools have been hammered for lack of institutional control for a lot less.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.