Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

So. Are Our 2 Platoons.....

1st Group:

WCS/Towns/Poy/Twins

2nd Group:

Dakari/Lee/Lyles/Ulis/Booker

Big Reserve: Willis

Guard Reserve: Hawkins

Darryl

Re: So. Are Our 2 Platoons.....

Works for me. Although Cal might find it hard to keep Dakari with unit 2. Your alignment makes sense from a defense and scoring point of view.

I have yet to see the combine, Darryl (hoping to, momentarily), but your groups and reserves are exactly how I had been imagining. I love the BALANCE of offense and defense in that set up.

I mean, dude, that is one HELLUVA second team and our two reserves, well, I wouldn't take a player in the whole NCAA not wearing Kentucky blue over those two Commonwealth kids.

Can't wait to see 'em in a few minutes.

Okay, now that I've seen it, Darryl...

I still like *our* platoon/rotation pattern established in your OP best for the extended future, BUT if it were to change, it could go something like this...

Andrew
    Aaron
    Trey
    Karl
    Dakari

Tyler
    Devin
    Alex
    Marcus
    Willie

Hawkins & Willis

Though we can probably agree that the OP platoons are more balanced defense to offense, what I like about the shuffle I did above is the balance between experienced and Freshman players, thus a more balanced "leadership" gradient perhaps, on a team whom Coach Calipari (and to his credit, Avery Johnson) deems a lack of obvious leaders being "an issue" that needs to be addressed. Leadership on BOTH squads MIGHT be the key to making this Kentucky team... dare I say "invincible"?

Krank, I worry about Marcus and WCS in the same platoon until one of them shows he can hit FTS. Can't play a lineup where fouling is a valid defensive strategy. Those guys MUST improve their FT shooting, especially if they are to play together.

Krank I think your first platoon of twins, lyles, towns, and Johnson are the best 5 players on the team now. Johnson has just become so much better.

Rupp's Runt
    Haven't watched the combine yet. But the 2nd group will need players able to keep up with Ulis. I expect a bigger team that might zone and a quicker team that might run and press. Can all of Dakari, Trey, and Karl keep up?

Valid point, but that's where Cal can make adjustments to the platoons (Willis perhaps) late in games. If teams try fouling early in games, they will have foul trouble and our first unit may be in the bonus when they get back on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
    Krank, I worry about Marcus and WCS in the same platoon until one of them shows he can hit FTS. Can't play a lineup where fouling is a valid defensive strategy. Those guys MUST improve their FT shooting, especially if they are to play together.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Valid point, but that's where Cal can make adjustments to the platoons (Willis perhaps) late in games. If teams try fouling early in games, they will have foul trouble and our first unit may be in the bonus when they get back on the floor.
    Marcus Lee is extremely smart. You can just tell. He strikes me as someone who, if you gave him a goal, he would work until he achieved it.

I think improved FT shooting -- and shooting, in general -- needs to be one of his main goals. And Cal can use the threat of "demotion" from Platoon 2 to motivate Lee. Otherwise, I think I'm in favor of using Derek Willis in the second platoon. I don't think poor FT shooting becomes an issue only late in games. Poor FT shooting is just a turnover, and we don't need those whether there are 10 minutes or 2 minutes left.

Also, consider this-- the second platoon will often come in after the other team has racked up a few fouls. And if the other team keeps in its starters, those guys will be tired (and thus, foul) when the second platoon starts running. Thus, it is the second platoon -- depending on how quickly Cal rotates them -- that might log the most minutes with the opposing team in the bonus.

Good points

Lee will be one of our more dominant players eventually. Marcus is slowly losing that bad volleyball-over of his.
    The "touch" is so much different in b-ball versus v-ball.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

I'll be surprised if Willis don't log more minutes than most people seem to think this year. If his defense continues to improve, he will be hard to keep on the bench.

I hope that's right. I like him, and he could add a fun dimension to the team.