Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best war movie?

Best war movie?

I'm watching Saving Private Ryan, or at least half of it tonight. That opening beach scene was intense.

I haven't thought about it much, but definitely an outstanding war movie. What's your favorite?

Re: Best war movie?

Both my favorite and least favorite, b/c IMO it's still the most poignant: Apocalypse Now.

Hard to go wrong when you take one of the best short stories ever written and put it in a framework that captures all the depth and darkness and arguably adds to it by creating the grand irony and contrast of it all.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Saving Private Ryan is a technical masterpiece and a real tearjerker. It's the best, IMHO.

Now my favorite? I have a soft spot for the John Ford "Cavalry Trilogy" of Fort Apache, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon and Rio Grande. Especially She Wore A Yellow Ribbon. Definitely worth a watch if you've never seen it before--John Wayne as an old officer on his way to retirement, trying to pass on some wisdom and lead his Troop on one last patrol.

Being a lawyer, I'll put in my top 5 courtroom war movies, in order of my preference:

--Breaker Morant
    --The Caine Mutiny
    --A Few Good Men
    --Paths of Glory
    --Judgment at Nuremberg
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 08-19-2014 at 07:04 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Schindler's List is certainly in there as is Saving Private Ryan. As a kid I loved Sink the Bismark. Other classics are Tora, Tora, Tora and Midway.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Hard to pick a favorite but "Platoon" was on last night. It has to be up there with the best.
    Last edited by Scout714; 08-19-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Best war movie?

We Were Soldiers, Thin Red Line, The Great Escape, Full Metal Jacket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

"Band of Brothers" in a runaway...

but if that gets disqualified, I gotta think about it some more.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    "Band of Brothers" in a runaway... but if that gets disqualified, I gotta think about it some more.
    okay Foreign" Das Boot" American "Saving Private Ryan".

"Band of Brothers" in a runaway...

but if that gets disqualified, I gotta think about it some more.
    My first thought, too, but it's a miniseries.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    We Were Soldiers, Thin Red Line, The Great Escape, Full Metal Jacket

Full Metal Jacket is just behind Apocalypse Now for me. "If I'm going to die for a word, my word is...."
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Best war movie?

Lest we forget the flyboys, in Twelve-O'clock High, and Pearl Harbor( except for the back story)

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

Band of Brothers, because it is a true story. Saving Private Ryan, although I'm mot sure the actual storyline had much merit in that time period after the five brothers that were in the Navy(the O'Sullivan brothers?) died when their ship was torpedoed by a German U-boat. Inglorious Basterds was very good. Windtalkers was very good, and, a true story.
    MOLON LABE!

Have not seen Inglorious Bastards, but have it at the house. I need to watch it.

Top Gun. When Tom Cruise sings "You've lost that loving feeling", well, I cry.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Top Gun. When Tom Cruise sings "You've lost that loving feeling", well, I cry.
    I've always sort of identified you with "Goose."

Boy in the Striped Pajama's is quite good for an off the beaten path one.

in the Classic Catagory
    1) Gone with the Wind
    2) African Queen
    3) Patton
    4) Casablanca
    5) From Here to Eternity
    6) The Great Escape
    7) Bridge over the River Kwai

Non-traditional
    1) Braveheart
    2) The Patriot
    3) Hotel Rowanda
    4) Red Dawn (WOLVERINES!!)
    5) Team America: World Police

Cold War
    1) Hunt for Red October
    2) K-19 Widowmaker
    3) Firefox

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Have not seen Inglorious Bastards, but have it at the house. I need to watch it.
    Take the time to do so. You will enjoy it a lot.
    MOLON LABE!

Inglorious Bastards is a very good movie. Liked it a lot more than anticipated. Saving Private Ryan wins overall for me though. Cannot change the channel every time it's on.

Band of Brothers though is EPIC!! However comma a miniseries so does not fit.
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

good call on Red October.

We were Soldiers, Platoon, Saving Private Ryan, Full Metal Jacket.

Dances With Wolves while probably not considered a traditional war movie as war movies go it does cover the two most important wars in the history of the US, and should be in consideration for one of the best movies of all time.

If we're going to go back to historical war related films I'll put The Outlaw Josie Wales in there. I don't really think of it as a "war movie" but if you do it has to go in the mix somewhere b/c it's a really good movie.

Thinking of them that way really expands the category.

bridges of Toko Ri

Rupp's Runt

I'm inclined to agree with "The Outlaw Josey Wales". And if not as a war movie, then certainly was a Western movie. Someone above also mentioned "Das Boot", which is an excellent movie. That was the first movie I ever remember seeing Jurgen Prochnow in. Good movie!
    MOLON LABE!

Best war movie?

Josey Wales is one of the greatest movies ever but I never thought of it as a war movie ... But point well taken

Best war movie?

Great Escape

Empire of The Sun(excellent movie)

Rupp's Runt
    I'm watching Lone Survivor right now. Pretty good so far.

Richard Attenborough who played in the Great Escape passed today

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Richard Attenborough who played in the Great Escape passed today
    also Sand Pebbles, Flight of the Phoenix.

also Sand Pebbles, Flight of the Phoenix.
    Also directed A Bridge Too Far, along with Ghandi (not a war movie really but when you win an Academy Award you should get a mention).

Thought he made Jurassic Park. Played the character brilliantly, as usual.