Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mitch vs. Lundergren Grimes

Mitch vs. Lundergren Grimes

A lot riding on the shoulders of the voters in the Commonwealth. Grimes is going all in spending a boat load of money on TV spots as well as bringing in gunslingers (slick Willie) to sing her praises. Mitch may have a fight on his hands with more than just local politics at stake, how do you guys see this one playing out? I'm hoping he's waiting to run a full court press in the second half because currently he is getting out played with early campaigning at least here in the Louisville area.
    Last edited by blueboss; 07-29-2014 at 08:55 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: Mitch vs. Lundergren Grimes

She's concentrating in Louisville, where she has her best shot by far of getting votes. Her obama ties make her a non-starter in coal country I'd think.

that family is dirty as Hades, you could not vote for a more "career back room politician" than Lundy's daughter. The DNC left is spending hard for her,but it's telling the money is being mostly poured in from out of state. They're going to try to buy the seat, but usually that's an uphill battle in any race with outside money.

Fortunately Mitch is a pretty savvy politician, hopefully he does a good job and pulls it out. I don't particularly like him, and have my issues, but between Mitch and an Obama/Leftist meat puppet I take Mitch every time. Mitch is a "party man" and she's a "party gal", but her party is the party of Obama, about a billion times worse than the GOP sellout express.

Also, since both are basically just party hacks, vote for the one with all the seniority who brings the funding to Kentucky. Grimes wont' get squat for the state for a decade, if the GOP wins the Senate we have the Senate Majority Leader, and that means money for this state.

that's crass and I wish it weren't even the case, but that money is going to go somewhere so we can send it to Harry Reid and Nevada or we can take it, our choice all based on who we elect in this race.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

It's a truly sad state of affairs when the people's choices come down to 2 career party hacks, huh?
    MOLON LABE!

Grimes has the advantage of no one knowing her stance on issues, that advantage disappears as campaigning begins in earnest and her pro-Obama record becomes more well known.

Rupp's Runt

I have to wonder as to how many times Hollywood celebs like Clooney & Ashley Judd will drop in to help her campaign, as well as the POTUS & his wife too?
    MOLON LABE!

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    She's concentrating in Louisville, where she has her best shot by far of getting votes. Her obama ties make her a non-starter in coal country I'd think.

that family is dirty as Hades, you could not vote for a more "career back room politician" than Lundy's daughter. The DNC left is spending hard for her,but it's telling the money is being mostly poured in from out of state. They're going to try to buy the seat, but usually that's an uphill battle in any race with outside money.

Fortunately Mitch is a pretty savvy politician, hopefully he does a good job and pulls it out. I don't particularly like him, and have my issues, but between Mitch and an Obama/Leftist meat puppet I take Mitch every time. Mitch is a "party man" and she's a "party gal", but her party is the party of Obama, about a billion times worse than the GOP sellout express.

Also, since both are basically just party hacks, vote for the one with all the seniority who brings the funding to Kentucky. Grimes wont' get squat for the state for a decade, if the GOP wins the Senate we have the Senate Majority Leader, and that means money for this state.

that's crass and I wish it weren't even the case, but that money is going to go somewhere so we can send it to Harry Reid and Nevada or we can take it, our choice all based on who we elect in this race.
    I believe your comments are on target. What I find interesting is that Mitch has done so much for UofL, it has to translate into votes for him. I can see where the Dems will get the welfare crowd to the polls. But, I have to believe many moderate dems in Louisville will see what Mitch has done for their university and decide to stick with him. I agree Louisville is her best bet along with the leftist radical voters in Lexington. I am encouraged with what the polls are showing.

Mitch is going to spending a ton of $ on ads trying to hang Obama around Grimes' neck. And Bill Clinton is going to be in Kentucky so much on behalf of Grimes that he might as well apply for in-state residency.

Ultimately I think Mitch wins by 3-4 points. Not enough Democratic votes inside the Watterson in Louisville to carry Grimes across the finish line.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

The EPA/Obama war on coal is going to be a killer issue for Grimes.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    It's a truly sad state of affairs when the people's choices come down to 2 career party hacks, huh?
    Yep, but it is what it is, and there is a BIG difference between the poor choice and the truly horrid choice.

I will say Mitch has surprised me and been more embracing of the more Rand paul side of the party than I expected. He's a true pragmatist, and in this case with the GOP leaning more to libertarianism he will lean more that way b/c it's smart politics for him. That isn't fabulous, but it beats some of the House leadership who have actively opposed that move.

"Ditch Mitch" is about ditching insider politicians more than anything else, and I'm all for that, but electing Jerry Lundy's daughter is the exact opposite of that goal. A deeply politically and monetarily connected family that was hand picked by the party glitterati b/c of her strong allegiance to the national party.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    I agree Louisville is her best bet along with the leftist radical voters in Lexington. I am encouraged with what the polls are showing.
    Like Bevans I don't think just Jeff Co will be enough to get her over the top, and like you I hope his work for UL undercuts it some to make it not a race.

You said a mouth full about our leftist subculture here. We definitely have one, complete with the superiority complex and crazy voting habits. I'm going to start a thread on here about our current obsession with "affordable housing" and the true idiocy of how it's unfolding here.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post

Yep, but it is what it is, and there is a BIG difference between the poor choice and the truly horrid choice.
    Isn't that the sad truth, too.

Recruit

I live in Floyd County and in coal country and Grimes is going to have a hard time convincing people in this part of the state that she is not just an "Obama crony."

What are the polls saying right now?
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

^Most recent (a CJ poll) had McConnell up 2. RCP average is McConnell +2.5.:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...imes-3485.html
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Rupp's Runt

+2.5 isn't a substantial lead by any stretch of the imagination. And let's not forget that Mitch hasn't endeared himself to some that are further to the right in the not-too-distant past. I hope this doesn't turn out to be another Eric Cantor disaster. But to his credit, he didn't go all out to do any of the stuff that Cantor pulled within the in-state party politics, so that is in Mitch's favor there. And also to Mitch's credit is that he did not once(at least to my recollection) bend his knee to Obama or any of the crap that Obama has been doing.
    MOLON LABE!

Rupp's Runt

And I also believe that if the Senate becomes Republican controlled, and the House stays Republican, Obama will be a muddy lame duck because he'll get zero from either body.
    I am very interested to see exactly what kind of Senate Majority leader Mitch will really be, if it does come to pass.
    MOLON LABE!

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Mitch is increasingly more vulnerable with each election. I would be surprised that he can win re-election six years from now. He gets this one. But I don't think he holds for another term after this one.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Mitch is going to spending a ton of $ on ads trying to hang Obama around Grimes' neck. And Bill Clinton is going to be in Kentucky so much on behalf of Grimes that he might as well apply for in-state residency.

Ultimately I think Mitch wins by 3-4 points. Not enough Democratic votes inside the Watterson in Louisville to carry Grimes across the finish line.

News coverage of Fancy Farm had Mitch getting hit pretty hard, of course the news coverage just showed democratic clips of the picnic....no obvious agenda there. (WLKY 32 Louisville)
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
    Mitch is increasingly more vulnerable with each election. I would be surprised that he can win re-election six years from now. He gets this one. But I don't think he holds for another term after this one.
    Yep and I think he knows it. If he can hold on and the GOP does its job he's Majority Leader, then retires.

There's a very outside chance Kentucky could have the Majority Leader and a President at the same time. Won't happen but I can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    News coverage of Fancy Farm had Mitch getting hit pretty hard, of course the news coverage just showed democratic clips of the picnic....no obvious agenda there. (WLKY 32 Louisville)
    Yep no surprise there. I'm sure they didn't cover where Grimes commented last week that Israel's "Iron Dome" would defend against tunnels. The Iron Dome of course is an anti-missile defense system, and even if one didn't know that the idea of a "dome" protecting against a tunnel is befuddling on its face.

Sorry I mis spoke earlier when I mentioned Grimes blundered about Mitch's wife's ethnicity, here's the link it was a democratic strategist who responded to Mitch's statement about his "wife being the only Ky women serving in a presidents cabinet"

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...ially-charged/
    Last edited by blueboss; 08-04-2014 at 08:14 PM.

I was unaware you can move to Kentucky as a child, grow up and marry here, live for decades here and you're still not a Kentuckian, but Asian. How's the weather in 1880?

Rupp's Runt

No more unusual than a guy here recently telling me that my wife isn't "a real American". It's whatever fits their agenda at that moment.

Stupidity & hatefulness knows no limits anymore. Or so it seems.
    MOLON LABE!

Which hospital is he in? I would like to send him a bigot card
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    No more unusual than a guy here recently telling me that my wife isn't "a real American". It's whatever fits their agenda at that moment.

Stupidity & hatefulness knows no limits anymore. Or so it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Which hospital is he in? I would like to send him a bigot card

If McConnell wins, he will need to thank Hal Rogers profusely.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Hollywood stars have contributed heavily to the Grimes campaign. Most are global warming enthusiasts. Says a lot about how the think Grimes stands on coal.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Hollywood stars have contributed heavily to the Grimes campaign. Most are global warming enthusiasts. Says a lot about how the think Grimes stands on coal.
    She's been getting anti-gun money too. Anyone who will give her a nickel to beat Mitch.

As I've said I'm not a fan of Mitch, but I'm not going to jump out of the Washington insider frying pan and into the fire, and that's what Lundy is all about and so is his daughter.

Latest poll from a Democratic polling group has Mitch up 5:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...imes-3485.html