Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBS BB Guy Rothstein Observes UK Practice...One Might Say He Was Very Impressed

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

CBS BB Guy Rothstein Observes UK Practice...One Might Say He Was Very Impressed

Re: CBS BB Guy Rothstein Observes UK Practice...One Might Say He Was Very Impressed

Shocking....but Rothstein has Poythress at the 3.

Darryl

Fab Five

Re: CBS BB Guy Rothstein Observes UK Practice...One Might Say He Was Very Impressed

Very positive about both Willis and Hawkins which is great to hear.

Curious, why do you find it shocking Rothstein has Poy at the three? Isn't that where most of us have been projecting him?

Also, great to hear him talk about Towns' perimeter game which is where I believe he will be most effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
    Very positive about both Willis and Hawkins which is great to hear.

Curious, why do you find it shocking Rothstein has Poy at the three? Isn't that where most of us have been projecting him?

Also, great to hear him talk about Towns' perimeter game which is where I believe he will be most effective.
    Tom, I have been bragging on Poythress for 2 years and saying he will eventually be outstanding at the 3. Some very
    vocal skeptics here disagree.

Darryl

Jon Rothstein@JonRothstein · Jul 21

5 Breakout SEC Players for 14-15: Marcus Lee (UK), Kasey Hill (UF), Anthony Perez (Ole Miss), Damian Jones (Vandy), J Williams III (Mizzou)

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Man projecting the minutes and where these guys lands is not possible at this point, so many factors come into play. The only sure things at this point are the harrisons getting major minutes. The rest will depend on how bad the others want to play and how much they have improved their weaknesses over the summer. Man I cant wait to see the Bahamas games.
    Go Cats!

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    Shocking....but Rothstein has Poythress at the 3.

Darryl
    He obviously does not know what he is talking about.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I don't anticipate Dakari losing the starting nod. I'd project it as, the Twins, Dakari, Lee, and Poythress for most of the season..

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    I don't anticipate Dakari losing the starting nod. I'd project it as, the Twins, Dakari, Lee, and Poythress for most of the season..
    Man that's a LOT of non-handlers for a dribble drive offense. Not saying I disagree that could be the starters, but geez what a dilemma for cal.
    Go Cats!

Towns will start.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    Towns over Lee at the four, we need the scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    Towns over Lee at the four, we need the scoring.
    I like your theory, but I prefer proven D and experience with Lee. I also like Towns' versatility off the bench for both offense and defense, just using his size all over. I also am guessing that Coach Calipari's affection for shot-blockers, along with Dakari's relative "below the rim game", makes Lee more appealing to limit early scoring from decent opponents.

Love AP, but he made big plays off put backs and using his unreal athletic ability around the rim..that is where he is best..I'd have him guard 3's on D and play the hybrid 4 on offense..the key to AP getting to that next level is becoming Patrick Patterson with the 15-20 foot jump shot..he can't dribble, therefore I think this is his best route to a great year

Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
    Love AP, but he made big plays off put backs and using his unreal athletic ability around the rim..that is where he is best..I'd have him guard 3's on D and play the hybrid 4 on offense..the key to AP getting to that next level is becoming Patrick Patterson with the 15-20 foot jump shot..he can't dribble, therefore I think this is his best route to a great year
    That is a very important point some don't think about; Poy is a terrific defender at the SF position. He helped shut down Hancock
    in the Sweet 16 game when Young was just getting abused.

Darryl

Fiddlin' Five

Watching the replay of Wisconsin game, on some trips Cal had AP guarding Frank the Tank Kaminsky

Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
    Towns will start.
    Totally agree and in my opinion he will start at the 4 spot.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Hard Ten View Post
    Watching the replay of Wisconsin game, on some trips Cal had AP guarding Frank the Tank Kaminsky
    I believe he can be effective guarding 3 spots, 3,4 and 5 in a lot of games. Not all as there are some mismatch issues with some 5's but other than that, I do not fear him playing D in most games.

Really, really, really hoping the shooting touch from beyond the arc that he displayed as a freshman returns this coming season.
    seeya
    dan

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    Tom, I have been bragging on Poythress for 2 years and saying he will eventually be outstanding at the 3. Some very
    vocal skeptics here disagree.

Darryl
    Put me on your side, then. I think Alex can be an outstanding 3.

Unforgettable

Nice word on Booker

ONly thing suspect in what Rothstein said was his projected lineup was based on what he saw. He had WCS starting, but he is not practicing. I think it remains to be seen how his injury effects him.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
    Towns will start.
    at the four

I agree with ETWNappel-- I think there's a chance that WCS doesn't start because (1) he might not start at the beginning due to his injury & getting up to basketball speed, and (2) if we're successful early on, Cal will get WCS to embrace the role of leader of the second unit & say that he doesn't want to disrupt the chemistry of the first unit. Something like that.

Also, I think Cal would love nothing more -- for recruiting, sound-bite, and motivational purposes in the future -- than to have a Top-10 NBA lottery pick COME OFF HIS BENCH. I think Towns and WCS are the best candidates for that.

I'm not saying it's likely, but I'm just saying: With this crowded of a front-court, no lineup shuffle is going to shock me. I think you can make a legitimate case for five front-court starters (Poy, WCS, Dakari, Lee, Towns), and a non-laughable case for two others (Willis/Lyles) if certain things happen with their development.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

I like Rothstein and am giddy about what they are saying in practice. But...I heard this last year too. I don't expect a repeat but I will temper my expectations until I see how we play in the Bahamas.

Word around lexington is that Lee is improving a lot and has a face up jumpshot now. if true, he should start as he is a sophomore. ..If not true then Towns eventually but possibly Dakari and WCS at the beginning of the year.

as far as Towns being a 4..... offensively yes.... defensively he will guard the opposing center.

Yep. Towns at the four, Alex at the three, the twins and well, it doesn't really matter who at the five because we have like 20 of them who can play there.

I say we go with the playstation line up: Poythress, Lyles, Towns, Stein, Johnson.

Its a terrible idea, but one I would like to see just once.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by uk-4-the-win View Post
    Word around lexington is that Lee is improving a lot and has a face up jumpshot now. if true, he should start as he is a sophomore. ..If not true then Towns eventually but possibly Dakari and WCS at the beginning of the year.

as far as Towns being a 4..... offensively yes.... defensively he will guard the opposing center.
    Who does Dakari guard? The other teams five. I think many are going to be surprised at what we have in Towns. He is no more a post up center than AD was.

And why should Lee start just because he is a soph?

Prediction: Towns steps up early and asks to be part of the second unit. It shows deference to "elders." It shows scouts that he's a team-first guy. And I bet Calipari asks him on the sly to do it to set the right tone and serve as a "pressure valve" for some of the older guys who are worried about how "losing" a starting spot would affect their draft status.

And by the way, I'm clear as a bell for months that I think Towns will be the best player on our team. Cal is going to have a heck of a time keeping him off the court... which makes this "ask" by Towns all the easier, because Cal can "start" him on the bench and then just play him major minutes while ceding the (pointless) glory of a starting spot to an upperclassman.

The best thing about freshman is...they become sophmores.
    And those sophmores were tremendous freshman who nearly won the NCAA title. The new kids will defer to most of the second year kids because they will be better college players imho.

Fiddlin' Five

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
    Prediction: Towns steps up early and asks to be part of the second unit. It shows deference to "elders." It shows scouts that he's a team-first guy. And I bet Calipari asks him on the sly to do it to set the right tone and serve as a "pressure valve" for some of the older guys who are worried about how "losing" a starting spot would affect their draft status.

And by the way, I'm clear as a bell for months that I think Towns will be the best player on our team. Cal is going to have a heck of a time keeping him off the court... which makes this "ask" by Towns all the easier, because Cal can "start" him on the bench and then just play him major minutes while ceding the (pointless) glory of a starting spot to an upperclassman.
    Philly, you aced this one…..Cal can point to Manu Ginobli for a good analogy……never starts, gets lots of minutes including the crunch time…..Cal can also point to MKG stepping aside for Darius…..and to Darius stepping aside for most of his senior season

As an aside, NBA scouts will be camping out at UK practices and will have their conclusions drawn from there along with game time performance…..draft worthiness will be determined by much more than the number of minutes Cal gives an individual