Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Lee vs. WCS

Lee vs. WCS

They will very likely be battling each other (and others) for playing time this year.

For discussion, what does WCS do that Marcus Lee doesn't do?

-- Shot blocking? I bet Lee's numbers on a per-minute basis would come close to WCS's.
    -- Shooting? Both are bricklayers from the FT line and anywhere outside 10 feet.
    -- Defend the pick and roll-- slight edge to WCS, but I re-watched the UK/Michigan Elite 8 game and -- while I know it was Lee's shining moment of the whole season -- I was really impressed with the way he disrupted pick-and-rolls with his long arms and fast feet.
    -- Offensive rebounding-- I bet the edge goes to Lee on a per-minute basis.
    -- Post offense -- edge to WCS, but he has a lot of room for growth ... which means that Lee could catch him while he's out of commission.

Bottom line, I think Lee is a close facsimile of WCS, and the battles for playing time should be a little closer than most folks seem to be predicting.

Re: Lee vs. WCS

Amazing how deep were going to be. I am big Lee fan. Many forgot, but before his GI bug he was getting a ton of clock.

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Good question. WCS is taller (but Lee looks a bit bigger in that picture than he did last season). I think Lee will do well and be a 1st rounder
    in 2016.

Darryl

I think it's a legit question. Maybe an additional edge to WCS in terms of understanding spacing and help defense. Maybe. I found myself, reflexively, assuming that WCS was better at everything... but upon further analysis, I think I convinced myself that Lee equaled WCS in almost every respect. He'll have to translate it into games, obviously, but I think the potential is there. I smiply caution people to slow their roll on inserting WCS into the starting lineup and relegating Lee to mop-up minutes. It won't shock me at all if they split minutes, especially if WCS doesn't come back at full strength early in the season.

If you could measure fire-in-the-belly I think there would be a definite edge to Lee and that's no knock on WCS.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

I would need to go back and look at the season but I give the edge to Willie on defense. Part of Lee's success against Michigan really came from the Wolverines didn't have enough film to properly scout him.

Willie's ability to run the floor, screen, drive to the basket dribbling and be a terror in shot blocking give him the edge. Lee has plenty of upside and I hope he challenges Willie and the others everyday.

And Willie is on the DL for now so that gives Lee and other big men a window of opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
    Willie's ability to run the floor, screen, drive to the basket dribbling and be a terror in shot blocking give him the edge.
    History, I agree that WCS may be better at defensive spacing and understanding when to float off his man to hunt for blocks. I do think, however, that Lee is a tremendous shot-blocker, and he shouldn't be sold short in that regard. And Lee can run every bit as fast down the floor as WCS. Driving to the basket? I must say, like you, that my memory of last year is a little hazy, but I don't recall WCS taking guys off the dribble much. If so, then he certainly has that edge over Lee... for now.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Philly,

Willie has done that a couple of times. Once against Florida in the SEC tournament and earlier in the year--maybe Providence. At UofL his freshman year did this as well. It is not option 1 for Willie but I am impressed with that skill.

With Lee a volley ball player I expect his shot blocking skills to get better and better. And every moment on the court is precious and if Lee continues to work hard this summer trip could catapult him ahead of othes.

It is great to have a conversation about players with so much legitimate potential and talent to debate. We have an abundance of riches and unlike in football when we a team has 2 quarterbacks they usually don't have a QB, we know we have quality big men.

WCS is older, wiser and stronger. These are huge assets in a team concept sport.

They will not turn out to be the same kind of player imho. I fully expect a completely different Lee than what I thought when he arrived here and after his first few games. His quickness and the speed he can move his feet, both off the floor and laterally, are his biggest asset.

Yet I hope to see his handle improve as much as his shot. He has awesome hands, and the more he adjusts to allowing his hands to stay on the ball the better he will be at all facets of his offensive game.
    As for defense, I see Marcus as a potential Liggins type talent with the added ability to defend anyone at the rim.

I may be proven way offbase, but I just sense the young man is a college star in waiting. What he showed on the biggest of stages against two powerful teams in the tourney (Wisconsin and Michigan) was awe inspiring

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    They will not turn out to be the same kind of player imho. I fully expect a completely different Lee than what I thought when he arrived here and after his first few games. His quickness and the speed he can move his feet, both off the floor and laterally, are his biggest asset.

Yet I hope to see his handle improve as much as his shot. He has awesome hands, and the more he adjusts to allowing his hands to stay on the ball the better he will be at all facets of his offensive game.
    As for defense, I see Marcus as a potential Liggins type talent with the added ability to defend anyone at the rim.

I may be proven way offbase, but I just sense the young man is a college star in waiting. What he showed on the biggest of stages against two powerful teams in the tourney (Wisconsin and Michigan) was awe inspiring
    King you have been strongly on the Marcus Lee train for a while now. I like him, but I believe his offensive "variability" could hinder his chances at the starting five.

However, if I had to bet, I would guess he gets the nod simply due to one experienced player with good D replacing another (given the theory that WCS will be better suited to continue his recovery from the bench). I simply believe Coach Cal would like that particular quality in one of his bigs and that Lee will show him that.

I still say we don't start a Freshman at the beginning of the year and, frankly, that sounds kinda cool to me, especially since the new guys all seem to have such a great team attitude.

Honestly, I'm not even saying Marcus will start for UK. I just believe he has and will continue to improve at a pace we haven't seen since Jorts went from a college "also saw action" guy to NBA player.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    Honestly, I'm not even saying Marcus will start for UK. I just believe he has and will continue to improve at a pace we haven't seen since Jorts went from a college "also saw action" guy to NBA player.
    Hey, he started games early in the season as a Freshman. Why not this year?

I hope he can step it up and be big time but I think we are all jumping on the train of one big game...wcs has proven more, but I do think lee had the heart to overtake him if he wants it !

Fiddlin' Five

Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
    I would need to go back and look at the season but I give the edge to Willie on defense. Part of Lee's success against Michigan really came from the Wolverines didn't have enough film to properly scout him.

Willie's ability to run the floor, screen, drive to the basket dribbling and be a terror in shot blocking give him the edge. Lee has plenty of upside and I hope he challenges Willie and the others everyday.

And Willie is on the DL for now so that gives Lee and other big men a window of opportunity.

I think this is spot on.

Fiddlin' Five

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
    History, I agree that WCS may be better at defensive spacing and understanding when to float off his man to hunt for blocks. I do think, however, that Lee is a tremendous shot-blocker, and he shouldn't be sold short in that regard. And Lee can run every bit as fast down the floor as WCS. Driving to the basket? I must say, like you, that my memory of last year is a little hazy, but I don't recall WCS taking guys off the dribble much. If so, then he certainly has that edge over Lee... for now.
    Without the ball Lee may be as fast, but I don't think we have anyone on the team as fast a WCS covering the distance of the court with dribble, JMO.

It is always fun to watch players with a ton of athletic ability learn to play the entire game. I think Lee has a ton of potential and could be an all star when he learns to do everything right. He has great instincts and the physical ability to do great things. Only time will tell if he can learn everything he needs to learn in a short period of time. He is fortunate that he will have the benefit of paying for a staff that can accelerate his learning curve.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

The question as to how lee and wcs blossom is one of if not the most curious argument going into the season. I think lee needs another year and next year he will star. Cal needs wcs to be a star this year so unless his injury slows him and lee makes a huge stride I expect wcs to be the man and lee to show more glimpses of greatness to come. I think lee vs towns and lyles will be the bigger minutes battle, but towns and lee def have fire in the belly that could make them come on quick.

Recruit

I am glad that they both will be on UK's bench. That only increases our depth in the big man department. I suppose the starter will be whoever wants it the most.