Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weight loss thread revisited

Re: Weight loss thread revisited

I occasionally work at home, if I have no appointments, and especially if I have "grunt" work to do. Those are the extremely sedentary days. But a reasonable amount for my basic office day is only about 3500 steps. I have to work very hard to get 10k each day; in the sense that I have to make special efforts for about an hour, minimum. If I don't, my day stinks.

Got the Charge HR also, replacing my Force that was recalled. Have done real well so far this year. Tried to get at least 10,000 steps every day last year and was only under 13 or 14 days. Set a goal of 12,500 per day this year and at this point have made it every day. Haven't had a day under 13,000 this year. Several days walking around the house or up and down the street if warm enough at 10-11:00 at night but so far so good! Have dropped 6 pounds this year and 20 since this time last year. Going to try to drop another 5 this month if I can, hopefully will be able to run some more since the weather is starting to get better.

Let's keep motivating one another.

18,124 today. But it is 12:08 am, and I'm still at the gym. Ran 7 miles, 108 minutes. And yet that's all the steps I have today.

Steps have been good. Had a salty dinner last night, which usually means I shouldn't weigh the next morning, so I was pleasantly surprised to see that number. Would probably be less tomorrow.

18.2k yesterday; 18.1 Tuesday, 12.0 Monday, 10.4 Sunday, 16.6 Saturday, 10.7 Friday. That's six days in a row with over 10k steps (the 1st day was only 3.5k). After having run 7 miles two nights ago and 6 nights yesterday, I need a little rest, but I'll walk up to 10k today somehow.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 04-09-2015 at 09:21 AM.

10,008 with 6 minutes to spare. 7 consecutive days!

Weight loss thread revisited

I'm stuck on 226 lbs. I'm exercising pretty hard 45 minutes 5 days/week, and I'm in a semi diet mode where I'm not eating sweets.

I'm averaging around 13,000 steps a day(Su-Th) which includes my exercise. I'm going to try and pick up my step count on Fr and Sat and see if that gets me moving down again. I think it's been 10 days at 226, I think I had a 225 point something and then creeped back up.... Perplexing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I weighed 226.0 this morning. Very disappointing. I think I'm going to have to get on a strict dietary plan.

Don't get discouraged, I've found over the years that the weight loss comes in spurts. You'll hit a period where you stop losing no matter what you do and then you'll drop a few more. Also found that you have to eat "better" as in what you eat more than how much you eat, along with exercise to lose and then sustain the weight loss. Over the last year I've dropped the 20 pounds and then held it around 190 since. It's not so hard to lose it, it's hard to keep it off. At the very least I'm getting steps in consistently every day (last night I did 3,500 steps around my basement at 10:30 to keep my run of at least 13,000/per day going) and the whole family is eating a much healthier diet.

From the beginning of our journey with my wife's cancer in March of last year we have learned so much more about how important your diet can be, not just to lose weight, but for your overall health. It truly changed our lives in the way we eat, exercise, everything! Not telling you anything you don't probably already know but the biggest culprit in our diet is SUGAR, and it's Everywhere! Make a lifestyle change in your diet and keep up a moderate exercise plan and you will lose and be able to maintain that loss over the long haul! A good rule of thumb for grocery shopping is "Shop the walls" of the store. All the processed foods are in the aisles in the middle, the healthier whole foods are genearlly around the walls, vegetables, meats, dairy. Don't mean to preach here, but don't wait for a "Life Changing Event" to happen in your life to you or a family member for the "Light" to come on and make you realize it has to be a life style change, not just a diet for a month or two to lose a few pounds. Doesn't mean you don't have a "cheat day" every week or two, but it does mean you have to change the way you eat and stay away from the bad stuff. Off my soap box now and sorry for the long post but we're all here to help each other!

I hope so. My eating habits haven't been "bad," but they haven't been "good" in the last month or so. My activity level has been good, with some days great. I thought I would start with that, and work my way down to dietary as needed, but weight isn't coming off like I'd hoped.

My eating habits may be worse than I thought, but I haven't been eating fast food (that's a big one for me, due to my schedule), and little to no sweets. But between and after meal snacks still have been on the table, and that's where I need to get back to eating fruits only (or at least, almost exclusively).

Got it going again, I was brick walled at 226.4 for like two weeks.

I finally got over that hump and am at 224.6. I'm still staying away from sweats, for the most part, I did have a slice of cherry crisp pie with ice cream the other night. I thought I died and went to wherever it is you can go and eat whatever you want without turning into a blimp.

Eating a lot of grapes, apples and pineapple instead of cookies, and candies...hopefully this five will come off like the first five, and then I'll get started on the next five.

Last edited by blueboss; 04-15-2015 at 07:17 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Good going, blueboss!

225.8. Man...

Read this article yesterday and thought it was interesting:

The Right Dose of Exercise for a Longer Life

The cited studies conclude you'll get significant longevity benefits with at least 150 minutes/week of moderate exercise, with the sweet spot being around 450 minutes/week of moderate exercise with occasional vigorous exercise.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 04-16-2015 at 09:53 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

To add to your post on the exercise article, the older you get the more important the exercise is. I'm guessing that most of you reading/following this thread are in the 40+ age group. The older we get the more important the exercise is. Think I've mentioned it before, but a really good read for those in our age group is "Younger Next Year". Gets pretty technical about diet and exercise and how important it is, especially the exercise part, as we get older. It says you should get at least 30-minutes a day, 5-6 days a week of at least getting you heart rate up in the cardio or upper range.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Good going, blueboss!
    Thanks, encouragement does help. I even got one of those "have you lost weight" questions at work yesterday from someone I hadn't seen for a while.

You'll get it moving again, I hope mine keeps going in the right direction, I had to add a day on the gazelle, but it seemed to work. Now I'm shooting for 45 minutes/day six days/week...fat never sleeps.

223.6. Small weight loss, better than weight gain.

223.6. Small weight loss, better than weight gain.
    unbelievable, i just went and dbl checked, but I'm at 223.4!! I stalled at 224.6ish for over a week, and it finally moved over the last day or so.

How does somebody gain five LB's overnight???

Sleepwalking to the fridge for a late night ham sammich?
    I feel your pain blueboss, I can smell a barbecue grill going in the summer and my pants start getting tighter...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

I haven't really eaten anything crazy and I'm still busting my hump exercising. I literally over the course of 36 hours gained 5+ lbs.

Last edited by blueboss; 04-28-2015 at 05:45 PM.

I'm not sure what the weight peak was last week, but I've managed to get back where I was and actually got to 222.4 today.

I'll be curious to see where I am on Tuesday, which is the first day of vacation

Gained weight up to 228.8. Uggh. So, so easy to gain. So difficult to lose. I have been eating poorly, which I knew, and have had the opportunity to work at home a lot the last two weeks and not go to the gym--both can be very damaging to my step count.

Show you how sedentary I've been.

Step count (yesterday and going backward)

13202 (only decent day)
    10922 (that was ok, too)

TOTAL - 72,936 for 2 weeks. That should've been 1 week's worth.

Now, let's make some assumptions, just for kicks.

Roughly, I'm going to assume the following--these are inexact, but 150 calories burned per walking mile at a relatively slow pace of 3.0mph. That includes just walking around getting places, in a classroom, etc. as well as when I really exercise, so I think that's conservative. At 229 pounds, that's 146 calories a mile. I'm rounding up to 150 for math purposes. I'm also going to say 2,000 steps per mile (which is actually too few, but I'm rounding everything, and it will be ok, because I'm actually sorta doing everything in reverse).

Here's how--

I'm ADDING back how many calories I should've burned, but didn't, by not getting 10k steps.

I was 67,064 steps short of 10k per day the last 2 weeks. That's 33.5 miles. At 150 calories per mile, that's 5,030 calories, or 1-1/2 pounds.

So 1-1/2 pounds added just by being ultra-sedentary.
    Now add my metabolism is crap because of being so sedentary and that's probably 1/2 to 1 more pound.
    Now add bad eating--easily 500 to 1000 calories more per day (there are reasons for that, but just excuses at this point). Assume only 500 calories extra per day over what I should be eating (and that's probably light), and that's 7000 calories, or 2 more pounds.

So now I've shown how to add 4-1/2 pounds in 2 weeks without hardly trying. And that's pretty darn close.

Did I mention I gained 5 lbs back after two weeks at the beach.

Not sure if I'm surprised because I didn't do any structured exercise like I've been doing since mid February. My eating really didn't change that much, with the exception of not eating as much meat, and a lot more seafood.

I did feel like even though my exercise wasn't structured I was still burning a lot of calories in and out of the ocean daily, not to mention the energy I was exerting fighting monster redfish in the surf. Seriously I was landing the biggest fish I've ever caught in all my years fishing in the surf.

(Jazy pm me if you'd like to see the photos)

Last edited by blueboss; 05-26-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Exercise has been non-existent for weeks. Lucky I'm "only" there.

I have to get it back to a manageable level. Cannot believe I got under 200 a couple of years ago and let it crawl back up. At this point, I'd like to see 215.

Exercise has been non-existent for weeks. Lucky I'm "only" there.

I have to get it back to a manageable level. Cannot believe I got under 200 a couple of years ago and let it crawl back up. At this point, I'd like to see 215.
    Unbelievable!!! I was 226.6 this morning when I left the house.

I went on vacation at 222.4 I think, I know it was 222. something. I returned at 227.8

Tonight after running around all day at work, and getting the grass cut I'll probably drop to 223.??. I'll hydrate tonight and in the morning I might see 224ish...my weigh in tracking day is Wednesday mornings

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post

Unbelievable!!! I was 226.6 this morning when I left the house.

I went on vacation at 222.4 I think, I know it was 222. something. I returned at 227.8

Tonight after running around all day at work, and getting the grass cut I'll probably drop to 223.??. I'll hydrate tonight and in the morning I might see 224ish...my weigh in tracking day is Wednesday mornings

We really should push each other to get to 210 or 215. Surely we can do that.

Can't speak for what works for everyone, but for me my success has been, for the most part, consistency! The last year plus a couple of months was when it got serious for life. Have had a Fitbit for a couple of years now and used my Galaxy S4 several months before that to track my steps. Last year goal was 10,000 steps/day and only had a dozen days where I didn't get that many. When we found out wife had cancer in March last year, needless to say, it was life changing for the entire family. Diet, which wasn't bad already, got taken to a different level. We are eating much healthier, as much organic as possible, very little fried foods and although we still eat out it is only once every week or two. Cut way back on sugar also, which from our research is something cancer loves. Do I still grab a sandwich from Wendy's or Chick-Filet from time to time, sure, but they are much less frequent. Goal this year is 13,000 steps/day. Have only come up short of that 1 day this year so it's going well. Lots of walking around the basement between 11 and 12 at night to get the last couple of thousand in at times. This evening was a good example, got home from church with 8,000 steps. Wife, dog and I walked around the neighborhood which got me 1,000 then I jogged 2 miles to get my numbers for the day.

Sorry for the long post but I've bounced between 190 to 210 for the last 10 years or so without ever really being out of shape to the point where I couldn't go out and jog 3 miles at any time, but still never kept it consistenly down where it needed to be. I'm currently varying between 185-190, have seen as low as 182 a couple of weeks back. Hope to work it down to between 175-180 by the end of the year and hold it there. Bottom line is I, along with my family have made the commitment to eat healther for life and that along with the exercise I was already was doing appears to be working! Set attainable goals with a time frame attached, reach them and then set new ones. That's what is working for me. Don't know everyone's age but I'm 55 and not getting any younger. I want to be around for a long time and my first grandchild is due in November, none of that's gonna happed if I'm not healthy!! Whatever works for you for motivation, use it!! And by the way, my wife had treatments through last summer and was 6 months cancer free in March!! God and lots of prayers are powerful!!

I thought of this thread when I read this article about former NFL lineman Nick Hardwick. It discusses what he did to keep his weight at 300 and what he's done since retiring to lose 85 pounds. Look at what he ate to stay at 300:

During his 4:45 a.m. drive to the Chargers’ facility, he consumed a 600-calorie protein shake and a bar that packed 20 grams of protein. After working out he grabbed a 300-calorie Gatorade protein shake. After showering he hit up the cafeteria to get a large smoothie “with everything imaginable in it”—plus five eggs, sausage, and 32 ounces of whole milk. He would snack on a bag of mixed nuts while watching film. Two or three hours into meetings, he’d down a 700-calorie protein shake. After practice, another protein shake. Lunch in the cafeteria meant a big salad, with as much protein as possible piled on top.

“A lot of bread on the side, too,” Hardwick says.

After even more meetings, Hardwick would go home and eat with his wife, Jayme. Dinner was always a normal meal—meat, potatoes, and vegetables—with normal portion sizes. “I didn’t to drag my wife down with me,” he says. But 90 minutes later the heavy eating resumed. Hardwick would eat cereal poured over a 32-ounce tub of Greek yogurt, the size most people buy to last an entire week.

The nightcap: a pint of Ben of Jerry’s, savored while lying in bed. Karamel Sutra was his favorite, with 1,040 calories, 104 grams of sugar, and plenty of other unsightly numbers that led to even more unsightly numbers on the scale.

Looking at old photos makes him cringe. “I was disgusting,” he says.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/06/02/nfl-ni...iego-chargers/

Talk about body image issues. The article talks about what's he's had to do to get back down and how it was as much emotional and mental as it was physical.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Interesting article.

I just need to get back away from being sedentary, which I have been--with no good reason--for about 2 months now.

226.2 this morning. Go on vacation in 3 weeks; maybe I can make it a goal to lose 10 pounds in 3 weeks to get to 215-216 before I go.

Being vertical a lot really helps. I'm on my feet pretty much 8 hours a day and walking around in the store is easier on my feet than standing. I nibble on a protein bar throughout and drink water. I eat a full meal and usually something sweet when I get home. I once weighed 208 and now I'm around 172 and my waist is a comfortable 32".
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.