Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight loss thread revisited

Weight loss thread revisited

I briefly ducked under 200 last year, and all heck broke loose. I have, sadly, gained up to 216.8 through inactivity and poor eating habits. Fortunately I haven't gone back alll the way to the 237 I was (and probably higher, but I never weighed when I got "up there"), but wanting to reverse the trend.

Friday, June 20 - 216.8. Goal is to get to 199, then I will reset the goal to 185, and then maybe 180. But for now, let me find sub-200 again, and I'll be happy.

Join me if you want. If you don't feel comfortable posting your weight, post how much you'd like to lose, and keep your progress here instead. Anything for that good peer pressure.

Re: Weight loss thread revisited

Well,well, well, lets see spring 2013 I got down to to around 215, came back from two weeks of vacation in Savannah, and Amelia Island weighing at 225. I managed to stay around 230 up until lent started this past winter, where I got down to 219. After two weeks in Perdido Key (15 lbs of royal reds) I came home around 225 and have creeped back and forth from 225 to 230. I am currently around 229.

Haven't set a goal but I'd like to get back to the 220 mark and hang there through the first of the year...we'll see how it goes and whether or not I start a regular exercise routine
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

After reaching my goal of 172 in Feb, 2013, I've done a decent job of maintaining but am now at 178. After 16 months that isn't bad but I need to get back. Peer pressure is good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had Mexican food last night and hope this is the product of salty food and liquids, but 218.8 this morning. Oh well, gotta get it going back the right way.

We were in Birmingham this weekend. I should have thought to let you know and try to meet up. We had dinner last night at Superior Grill. It was excellent.
    Last edited by KSRdallen; 06-22-2014 at 08:45 PM.

You should have; we were at Two Peso's last night.

I've stayed pretty steady since the first of the year. Got the Fitbit Force for Christmas and have used it as motivation to keep me going. I'll post numbers on that thread for it. Hovered around 210 from first of year till first of March and then got serious about eating better (not totally on my own, My wife was diagnosed with Lymphoma which immediately changed our nutrition/eating habits most likely forever and most certainly for the better). I'm down to 195 and would like to get to 185. Kinda have hit the wall at 195, still doing stairs, eating well... just haven't broke through that barrier but it's not because I haven't tried.

Monday, June 30 - 216.0.

July 1 - 195. Looking for the elusive under 190!

July 7 - 216.2.

Geez. Gained a little weight this past week. Inputting every morsel of food and drink, and exercising, should've dropped daily. I'm considering it an "adjustment," while I try to figure out what went wrong.

One bit of good news. Since I have rededicated efforts to get healthy and exercise, my resting heart rate has dropped to a pretty consistent 55 beats per minute. Hasn't eclipsed 60 in a few weeks.

July 28 - 216.2.

At least it hasn't gone up, but a little disappointing. Will get more aggressive with it. Have to get under 200.

Unforgettable

My top weight ever was 276 then got down to 243 years ago. Crept up to 265, then down to 239, back up to 255, lost down to 225 by walking 3 miles a nite for 5 nights a week. Stopped walking and back to 253.
    Lost 7 so far since started walking again, but have slowed the sweets, butter, breads and potatoes until last week. No goal, just walk 5 nights a week and build back up, slow intake, and get thru winter w/o gaining most back

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    My top weight ever was 276 then got down to 243 years ago. Crept up to 265, then down to 239, back up to 255, lost down to 225 by walking 3 miles a nite for 5 nights a week. Stopped walking and back to 253.
    Lost 7 so far since started walking again, but have slowed the sweets, butter, breads and potatoes until last week. No goal, just walk 5 nights a week and build back up, slow intake, and get thru winter w/o gaining most back
    I'll tell you like others have told me--it took you a long time to put the weight on. Taking it off a little bit at a time is fine.

Keep up the walking. That's the key. I know it is for me. When I start slipping; I start gaining weight again.

It truly is all about staying active and eating healthier for life. I'm not sure of everyone's age but I suspect most of you are relatively close, within 10 years of me in either direction. I started jogging eleven years ago at age 43 with my goal to do the Summer Motion 10K at 4th of July. Lost 25-30 pounds over a 6 month period and did it. I had never ran even a 5K in my life and up to that point hated jogging. I did it in 1:06. Over the past 11 years, just like most everyone else, I fall off the wagon and let the weight get away for a little but I've never really let myself get "out of shape". Probably has never been a time over that period that I couldn't have done at least a 5K at a 10 minute pace. I basically have gone up and down between 195 to 210 over that time period. When I creep up to the 210 mark I get focused and get it back in control.

A couple of really good books by Chris Crowley, are "Younger Next Year" and "Thinner This Year" really get into the nuts and bolts of what we have to do as we get older to stay in shape and healthy which brings me back to the original point. As we age we need at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise 5-6 days a week, every week for the rest of our lives (that's why I do the stairs at work as often as I can). Do I do this to that extent all the time, NO!, but after reading these books I realize that I have to STRIVE to do this as much as I can. Don't know about you all but I want to live a Long Healthy Life, not just exist and we can't sit on our behinds and think it's gonna happen without effort.

Use whatever it takes to motivate you, whatever carrots you have to dangle out in front of you to push you, set goals and reward yourself when you achieve them and then set a new goal. These threads motivate me, the fitbit and the groups motivate me, my wife going through cancer treatment right now REALLY motivates me. Nobody said it would be easy but you start out small with attainable goals and build on them continually for the rest of your life.

Sorry about the long post but it doesn't matter at what level each of us are at, we can use each others success to motivate and push us to whatever our next goal may be!!

Quote Originally Posted by AshCat View Post
    Sorry about the long post but it doesn't matter at what level each of us are at, we can use each others success to motivate and push us to whatever our next goal may be!!
    Great post.

August 1 - 213.6

August 1 - 193

I started using My Fitness Pal in late January in an effort to track my calories and exercise. 3 co-workers and a few church friends used it and had great results, so I decided to give it a shot.

I had to do something--I'm embarrassed to say how much weight I had (have) to lose. So far I've lost 36% of what I want to lose.

The last 30 days have been kind of a wash--I had a net loss of only 3 pounds, for a variety of reasons. Hoping to lose 6 pounds in the next 3 weeks before we go on vacation the last week in August.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

36%! That's fantastic. Great, great job. Whatever works for you about disclosing weight, or whatever, keep doing it, as you're doing super. I think it was Ladycat92 who first suggested nobody post their weight, but just post how much weight you wanted to lose. I think she was right.

I was very embarrassed about my weight, and that worked for me when I started. I probably should have continued doing that, but I found it more motivating to me, personally, to go ahead and post my weight, which is what I did this time. It took me awhile to realize that nobody here cared what it was, but a lot of good people cared that I wanted to lose it, and have been great encouraging me.

Two years ago I was almost 240 (I recorded 237). I'm 213.6 today, so I guess that's some progress, but as Ashcat has said, I'm in the point where I need to just make this permanent lifestyle changes.

I have an initial goal of 199.9. That's not what I need to weigh; it's just an interim goal. When I reach that, I will reset the goal to 190. That's not what I need to weigh, but if I reached that and stuck there forever, I'd be content. If I reach 190, I will reset the goal to 180. That's pretty dang close, given my body frame, to what should be (no way should I be 6'0, 165 or what some of the insurance tables suggest.)

I'm 13.7 pounds away from my initial, 2014 goal. I would really like to have that goal done before 2014 ends, and have a new goal for 2015 set where the folks here can help and encourage me.

It's just me, but if I had first posted, "I have to lose 60 pounds," I think it would have overwhelmed me. I do better biting off bite-sized chunks (much the same way I gained the weight I now seek to lose).

Keep up the great work. Don't complain about a 3-pound loss month. Going the right direction!

213.2. Lost 0.4 lb last month. Way too little.

Guess I had a pretty decent month. I checked in at 189 this morning so I'm pretty happy with that. Can't remember the last time I've weighed under 190, probably 4-5 years ago and was only there for a short period then. Not ready to stop here, reset the goal to 180 with a hope of maybe getting it to 185 by 1st of October.
    36% sounds pretty darn good to me to, just keep working at it. You're going to hit walls along the way where even if you are walking/exercising/eating significantly better you just don't seem to lose anything then you will break through and drop a few more pounds so don't be discouraged.
    I hovered in the low 190's for almost 3 months before finally dropping under over the last week or so don't let the walls you hit discourage you. Most likely during those periods you are redistributing your weight some from fat to muscle. I noticed all through the period where I wasn't losing my pants were getting looser all the time so there are periods where it's not all about weight loss!

Back from 10 days of vacationing at Disney World. Weighed in this morning and had gained a pound and a half, which I consider to be a victory given that I just eat whatever strikes my fancy when on vacation. Guess all the walking around the parks helped.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Bombino

I just realized my new phone has a built in pedometer. It can dynamically tell if you are running, walking, etc. and will adjust calories burned accordingly. Not exactly a the fitness bands like D likes but I was surpised that it was included.

The phone is the LG G3 by the way and I absolutely love it.

Unforgettable

We are headed there in 2.5 weeks which is one reason I started walking again, get in step with grand kids
    So far I have lost 18# but several inches. Long way to go. In the winter I am going to walk at a different time, 9:00pm isn't going to work.

QUOTE=KSRBEvans;206947]Back from 10 days of vacationing at Disney World. Weighed in this morning and had gained a pound and a half, which I consider to be a victory given that I just eat whatever strikes my fancy when on vacation. Guess all the walking around the parks helped.[/QUOTE]

Unforgettable

hit a mark this morning, 20# off since first of August. Brought a smile, but a small one. Long way to go.

216.4. Up about 3 pounds. Man.

Unforgettable

meet in the middle LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    216.4. Up about 3 pounds. Man.

You're inspiring me, Jazy. Keep posting the results. I know it gets harder after you drop some weight, but you're still going the right direction.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

At 189.3 and have lost 6 pounds (2 pounds a week) since restarting with Jenny Craig.

Most important thing that the program taught me and now has reminded me is portion size. That is critical. Eat tasty foods but limit the portion size. The Jenny meals are a good start and then you can use that model to shrink your own portions.

Drinking lots of water is really key as well. Fruits and vegetables are the best snacks. Apples, and cucumber slices crunch. Cherry tomatoes pop in the mouth. Good replacement.

Bread is the tough one. But small portions are ok.

And of course physical exercise. Walking if your joints ache or other health factors limit you. But keep moving.