Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exercise/Walking/Steps Thread - Peer Pressure Posting

Exercise/Walking/Steps Thread - Peer Pressure Posting

Picked up my replacement pedometer last night, so I'm out of excuses and have my motivation back. I know some of you are like me, mostly lumps that just sit there, and some of you are at the other end of the polar extreme, superb fitness geeks. I want to move somewhere in the middle of those extremes.

Will post my daily step figures here, and any other exercises (if any) I do. Join me. Will begin tomorrow with today's steps and activities.

10,359. About half of them in half hour interval training with my son (I mainly jogged, but did some).

Unforgettable

Re: Exercise/Walking/Steps Thread - Peer Pressure Posting

Great start Darrell, I got in about 7125 yesterday

Been really working at this trying to lose weight and get in shape. Got the Fitbit Force and have joined a couple of groups online to help motivate me. Hoping to do a 10K in two weeks but haven't ran more than 4 miles yet this year. Going to try to do 6 tomorrow night if I get a chance. Have been doing stairs at work, running some... Working in the yard cleaning up this week has got me my biggest numbers ever. Over the last 6 days I have averaged just under 25,000 steps/day 24,911. Last two months I've averaged 16,500 and 16,900/day. Averaging over 18,000 this month.

We've all got our own motivation and how we use it to help us. Threads like these are great for me for motivation. I'm always trying to better whatever I did the previous week or month or whatever to help keep me going.

Unforgettable

Great job Ash to keep it going. I got in 10,125 today. Helped that it was cart path only on the golf course.

9031 today*. Ran 1 lap short of 3 miles in dead heat at 3:30 today, helped that it was overcast. And my running includes a lot of walking, too.

*had to edit it. Did not realize my Fitbit zip had not synced the last steps.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 06-23-2014 at 01:02 AM.

OK, I'm in.

I had 3 co-workers lose a ton using myfitnesspal.com, so I decided to give that a shot in January. I've lost 33 pounds since then, and it's really been the easiest weight I've ever lost. I just work on staying under my daily calorie limit for the day and don't worry too much about avoiding certain foods--but I find I'm a lot more conscious of what I'm eating when I'm tracking it. It's an easy way for me to journal my food and exercise, and the crowd-sourcing of the nutritional info is a big help, too.

1 part of it that I really like is you can take certain apps (I use Runkeeper, which tracks my speed and distance via GPS) and link them to My Fitness Pal so it automatically imports my exercise. (I also get "extra calories" for the day in My Fitness Pal for the calories I burn during exercise.) So I'll report in on what my Runkeeper app has me doing.

This morning I walked the dog for 8:32 (0.5 mi), and will get in a longer walk with her this evening. Thank goodness for the dog: I know I walk a lot more with her than I would otherwise. She gives me a reason to get out and move.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 06-23-2014 at 10:32 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Rupp's Runt

I ride my exercise bike now, just can't do much running unless it is duty related. My knees & ankles just hurt too bad from "Arthur's" everyday and non-stop visits. If I even sit too long I have to move gingerly until I can reach regular stride. So I ride my exercise bike instead. It has moving handles that pump, so I get a decent cardio workout. I have a couple of old Army cadences tapes that I use to keep up a good pace. And I do get a decent amount of walking & stair climbing during the day at the Courthouse 5 days a week anyway, so I'm good.
    MOLON LABE!

It's 7:09 my time, and I'm at 1,726 steps for the day. See how sedentary I am unless I do something?

I just came back in from walking about a half mile to get over 20,000 for the day (20,150) right now. Was around 18,500 and just couldn't come that close and not get there. Makes me 7 straight days over 20,000. That may come to an end tomorrow and definitely will on Wednesday. Taking wife to Columbus tomorrow evening and will be at the hospital all day Wednesday. 4th of 6 treatments so any prayers would be appreciated!

Walked 1.5 miles tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by AshCat View Post
    I just came back in from walking about a half mile to get over 20,000 for the day (20,150) right now. Was around 18,500 and just couldn't come that close and not get there. Makes me 7 straight days over 20,000. That may come to an end tomorrow and definitely will on Wednesday. Taking wife to Columbus tomorrow evening and will be at the hospital all day Wednesday. 4th of 6 treatments so any prayers would be appreciated!
    You've got my prayers, and my admiration for those numbers. I went to the track and worked out my son in his off season conditioning program, then jogged 2.5 miles but I'm still way short of 10,000 for the day. You have inspired me to go walk around the block at least before I shower and get ready for bed.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Walked 1.5 miles tonight.
    Excellent!

10930. Walking til near midnight.

Unforgettable

Slipped yesterday as I spent all day at the store and was tired last nite and stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    Slipped yesterday as I spent all day at the store and was tired last nite and stiff.
    I think it is important to give your body a rest. I wouldn't call it slipping, I'd call it part of a planned regiment.

Okay, what gadget should I get to use in conjunction w/ an iphone? Isn't there some kind of magic bracelet or some such thing?
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Okay, what gadget should I get to use in conjunction w/ an iphone? Isn't there some kind of magic bracelet or some such thing?
    Fitbit!

"Force" (when it returns) or "Flex" are the bracelets. Good devices.

"One" is not a bracelet but more like a clip. Immensely popular and highly rated by users. Has stair climber feature and sleep measurer (by putting it into a wrist bracelet). Also a tad less expensive than the two bracelets.

"Zip" is the low end device I bought. It's like a tiny pendulum looking thing. Half the cost of the others. Clip it on pocket with it on the inside. It's the basic one only.

3/4 great choices. If you want a bracelet, go with one of the top two. If you want something to clip on, go with one of the other two.

I'm big on low maintenance items that just work, and the Zip comes with a 6-month button cell battery that you replace for about a buck and a half when it dies. I also found the lack of a backlit display to be a non-issue, since I never look at it, but instead just read it off the Fitbit app on my phone.

I would like any of them.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I just got done shopping them and I agree all three of them look like they'll get the job done. I was wondering about being married to a bracelet, with a watch on one arm and I guess the bracelet on the other, hows it going to fit in if I had on some bling. Then there's the "ONE" clip thing and having to remember to clip it on and then be mindful of not losing it by banging in to something or some thug picking it off my belt.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I just got done shopping them and I agree all three of them look like they'll get the job done. I was wondering about being married to a bracelet, with a watch on one arm and I guess the bracelet on the other, hows it going to fit in if I had on some bling. Then there's the "ONE" clip thing and having to remember to clip it on and then be mindful of not losing it by banging in to something or some thug picking it off my belt.
    For what it is worth... And everybody is different... I came to the realization that I could not wear a bracelet all the time. I don't want to be conspicuous. You clip the One or Zip and it's almost invisible (clip the bigger part inside your pocket).

2nd for what it is worth... This clip isn't coming off. I suspect the One is the same way, but it is a stiff steel piece that is in a rubber case. It doesn't clip on like a name badge, you sorta force it to slide over your pocket and it won't move. But your concern was the same as mine before I bought one, and I found some pedometer leashes that act as a backup if you want. It clips on, and loops through the device so you have two clips. Very cheap, under $5 for a couple of them, IIRC.

All are good.

I'm at 3,319 currently. Will change clothes and walk some tonight, but it won't be a 10k day.

Today I walked 2.3 miles in 37 minutes.

Today I walked 2.3 miles in 37 minutes.
    Excellent. And a good pace.

I've got the force and love it. I'd quit wearing watch cause always have phone so it kinda just replaced watch as it has clock on it. Battery lasts about a week and I usually just plug it into computer to recharge while I'm working, fully charged in less than an hour. Off market right now, not sure when it will be back out but sounds like it may have heart rate monitor when it does. Recalled for irritation/rash in some people. Actually had that happen to me but I just loosened the band a notch and never happened again. My plan is to keep this one till they put it back out on market and try to swap it for new version then. Probably doesn't help you if you need something quickly but if you've got something to get you by till the new one comes out I think it would be worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Roughly how many steps are in a mile?

Roughly how many steps are in a mile?
    2,000+, depending on stride length. There are 1,760 yards in a mile, so if you had a very long, 36" stride, it would be that many. I think most men would be somewhere around 32-ish, give or take. That puts it at 1980 steps per mile. I use 2,000 as a ballpark.

Today I walked 1.75 miles in 30 minutes.

Today I walked 1.75 miles in 30 minutes.
    Good clip.