Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Fab Five

Mark Story on UK Possibly Joining the ACC in the Early 1990's

According to the story, it was something Newton/Wethington looked at very seriously.

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/06/19/3...-talks-to.html

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Re: Mark Story on UK Possibly Joining the ACC in the Early 1990's

I remember those days. In fact I believe that Pitino was a voice opposed to such a move. I could be mistaken but I think I am right.

Typical Story to try and say UofL is in the better position.

I just don't agree with that. For all who say that UK would be more successful in the ACC, I would say you have been wrong up until this point. Why? Because there has been a culture acceptance when it comes to mediocrity. And if you go to the ACC becuase it is not as good a league then the same culture of mediocrity that exists would still be in place and UK would actually get worse.

Now with Stoops at UK I think we have game changer. We have a coaching staff that acts and thinks big time. This staff would succeed in the ACC. But Stoops this job because it is in the SEC.

Stick with the SEC and still play good teams. We can't all be in league. There is no fun in that. Florida was #1 this year and made it to the Final Four for the 4 time since 2000 and 5 th since 1994. The basketball league is good enough. The rest of the sports are off the charts.

Rupp's Runt

Re: Mark Story on UK Possibly Joining the ACC in the Early 1990's

Back when I was living in Tallahassee in the mid-90's I was approached by several guys I worked with about that rumor.
    It sounds good in theory, but I seriously doubt it could have ever happened because both UNC & Duke from the basketball side of the house would have had a stroke inducing hissy-fit over Kentucky basketball joining their ranks.
    It may have been good for football at that time. Of course, Rich Brooks & Mark Stoops were still a long way away from the Bill Curry era, and all of the mismanagement of the football program by former AD's.
    MOLON LABE!