Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

7 Time Ky Sportswriter
    of the Year

Conversation with George Asafo-Adjei,

Larry Cox has one offensive lineman — Ryan Kelly — starting for Alabama and another one — Kyle Meadows — contending for a starting spot at Kentucky.

However, the Lakota West (Ohio) High School coach says he's never had a lineman quite like George Asafo-Adjei, who has a scholarship offer from Kentucky among about 20 offers he's already received.

"He is a pretty special player with a lot of offers and probably will get more," said Cox, who also coached from UK star John Conner and current UK freshman running back Mikel Horton. "He is just a great young man.

"But he's one of the strongest high school kids I have ever been around. Some of the numbers he has put up for a junior are staggering."

Cox noted how Jadeveon Clowney, the No. 1 pick by Houston in the recent NFL draft, bench pressed 225 pounds 21 times at the NFL combine. Asafo-Adjei bench pressed 225 pounds 23 times.

"His numbers are just staggering," Cox said. "Typically offensive linemen have to redshirt when they get to college. Ryan Kelly, who starts at center for Alabama, watched George work out and he told me George is strong than 'half our offensive linemen.' And he's a high school junior going into his senior season.

"He's mature, hard working. He has really built himself and lot of it has been his own doing."

Asafo-Adjei didn’t begin playing football until his freshman year of high school.

“He’s one of the strongest high school players I’ve been around,” Cox said. "With shoes off he’s 6-4 and about 300. He only has about 19 percent body fat. He’s barrel-chested kid and has big hands. If he gets his hands on you it’s over. He understands that portion of it. He’s fast, too. George can pull and lead on screens."

Cox said it can't hurt UK's chances with Asafo-Adjei, or linebacker C.J. Stalker that also has a UK offer, to have both Horton and Meadows playing for the Cats now.

"I think having the reference there and being able to draw on their experiences is a huge plus for Kentucky," Cox said. "As I tell kids, college coaches are part salesmen because their job is to sell a vision and the young man to come to their campus.

"The good part is when you somebody like Kyle or MIkel to talk to. The sales pitches go away and you get to the meat and potatoes of what the program is about by talking to players. They can say, 'Here are the good and bad things about the program.' That's a big plus for anybody in recruiting."

Re: Conversation with George Asafo-Adjei,

Excellent info Larry V. Long way to go with this one obviously, but good grief man, if a physical specimen like that can actually play the game, I want him at UK.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

If we can get Asafo-Adjei and George Brown, and add to what we already have the OLine will have some good prospects. This was an area the previous regime way under recruited and developed (big surprise.) I believe in their last two classes the previous staff took all of two OLinemen, and with the majority of this position Jrs and Srs, we need to add numbers. I could see Stoops and crew taking 6 commits here...that's almost 25% of the class at one position, but a major area of need---cannot have enough depth at OL or DL.
    "So KY hires, FSU DC Mark Stoops...Does that excite anybody?" Finebaum

Rupp's Runt

I absolutely agree with you, millsforthree. Football games are won and lost on the offensive & defensive lines, especially in the SEC.
    MOLON LABE!

Hope we get both of them, some think George has us right near or at the top