Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Money doesn't matter? Cavs and Cal were close on a seven year 60 million dollar deal

Money doesn't matter? Cavs and Cal were close on a seven year 60 million dollar deal

Re: Money doesn't matter? Cavs and Cal were close on a seven year 60 million dollar d

I'm thrilled that Cal signed his extension last week because it means we're doing everything we can to show him how much we want him to be here. That's all we can do.

I still think it's just a matter of time before he leaves. The job is just too hard, and he runs at it harder than anyone we've ever had. I've thought since his 2nd year anything after 5 years will be a bonus and still think that. I wish he'd stay 7-10 more years, but I'm OK with it. Whenever he leaves, he'll leave behind the greatest run at UK since '48-58. I'll be forever grateful ... unless he ends up coaching at UofL or IU.

Re: Money doesn't matter? Cavs and Cal were close on a seven year 60 million dollar d

I am one naive SOB.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

It matters very much.

Banish me if you must, but this kind of chaps my ass to be honest about it. The whole UK is too tough deal doesn't fly with me. Being both the coach and the GM of a pro franchise is an all consuming job with much less time for a normal life than being the coach at UK. Unless he were guaranteed to get Lebron back or somehow get Anthony Davis or Durant or someone of that caliber it sounds purely like money or a belief that any pro job with power really is better than the Kentucky job. And both of those ideas suck IMO.

I took some heat for this earlier, and I'm afraid I will invite it again, but here goes--

If he leaves for the NBA, especially in the next 2-3 years, I think he would be a hypocrite. How else are we to interpret all of his protestations about helping young men realize their dreams, etc. if he were to leave for a big paycheck (and, frankly, not THAT much bigger than what he was getting at UK). That job would stink, stink, stink. And Cleveland? Puh-lease. Unless he got a guarantee from LeBron, which I haven't heard anyone mention, then I don't get the appeal of that job at all. The Lakers I get. The Celtics I get. The Cavaliers are a freakin' punchline, not a team.

Money matters? OK, maybe so, but importantly-- NOT ACCORDING TO CAL'S OWN WORDS. Read his recent book.

Color me naive, too, I guess. Badrose and I will be hanging out together, figuring out if we should buy that bridge in Brooklyn that's for sale...

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Cat View Post
    I took some heat for this earlier, and I'm afraid I will invite it again, but here goes--

If he leaves for the NBA, especially in the next 2-3 years, I think he would be a hypocrite. How else are we to interpret all of his protestations about helping young men realize their dreams, etc. if he were to leave for a big paycheck (and, frankly, not THAT much bigger than what he was getting at UK). That job would stink, stink, stink. And Cleveland? Puh-lease. Unless he got a guarantee from LeBron, which I haven't heard anyone mention, then I don't get the appeal of that job at all. The Lakers I get. The Celtics I get. The Cavaliers are a freakin' punchline, not a team.

Money matters? OK, maybe so, but importantly-- NOT ACCORDING TO CAL'S OWN WORDS. Read his recent book.

Color me naive, too, I guess. Badrose and I will be hanging out together, figuring out if we should buy that bridge in Brooklyn that's for sale...
    +1.

I never can understand the "it's all about the money" argument. I get it if you are making $1,000,000 and someone wants to dump $7,000,000 on you. But what Cal was making before the new contract was still a pretty decent amount to live on.

And, to echo SSB above, don't moan about how hard UK is and *then* take over as Coach/GM for a pro franchise.

Look, he can leave when he wants. As others have mentioned, he's given us a great run and it will end someday. But the timing of this all smells a bit fishy to me.

I find a lot of this hard to believe.. first of all 8 mil a year for Cal? That right there should show Cal that Dan Gilbert doesn't know squat about how to own/run a basketball team.

Obviously Cal took 8 million less to stay at UK which shows me that the only reason cal was talking to the cavs was to get a pay increase at UK. Izzo and K do this all the time and its how K got his contract a few years ago ...

Why do I feel like my wife just informed me that she seriously considered leaving me for the fat dude with VD down the block, but she ultimately decided I was really great so she's staying with me.

Um, thanks?

I'll have your back, and I'll have more heat than you b/c I'll rip him new holes.

I don't care if he cares about the money or not, but I do care if you're a massive, continent sized hypocrite.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fiddlin' Five

Robust +2……

As for the dominoes of replacing Cal and keeping KAT, Lyles, Ulis and Booker…..am confident they all would not go "down the road"…..the UK Brand/Franchise has lots of sheen now and we would hire an attractive replacement……if Cal is this fragile then we all need to step back and take a deep breath about our perspectives……Cal is the guy who continually says this is the best job out there and didn't he recently say he aspired for this job for 20 years?

Cal hasn't said anything but truth he may have always intended to stay at uk and wisely used the Cleveland talks to get his value up to par w coach k. Cleveland needs an older wiggins and lebron on board to entice
    Go Cats!

Why do I feel like my wife just informed me that she seriously considered leaving me for the fat dude with VD down the block, but she ultimately decided I was really great so she's staying with me.

Um, thanks?
    Slight correction, but this really is someone you met at Starbucks claiming to be a friend of your wife telling you she almost left you.

This is still "sources" reporting all this, with no real evidence or confirmation whatsoever. It's more flushed out than Rex's "Cal to the Lakers" claim, but they both have the same substantiation at this point.

I will say the only deal that will get Cal to the NBA is control over roster, but I don't buy the angle on this piece that it was the more money in the UK deal that killed it. That's not even speculation from "sources", that's just the conclusion of this writer based on nothing more than inference.

After all the NBA deal is still a little more isn't it? We didn't out bid them yet this alone made the decision swing back in our favor? Another $1.5 mil or so a year for a guy with probably a $40-60mil net worth?

You can't leave the gap too big, but he still chose the LOWER paying option, so it can't be the end all be all can it? Important, obviously not the only factor.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by uk-4-the-win View Post
    I find a lot of this hard to believe.. first of all 8 mil a year for Cal? That right there should show Cal that Dan Gilbert doesn't know squat about how to own/run a basketball team.

Obviously Cal took 8 million less to stay at UK which shows me that the only reason cal was talking to the cavs was to get a pay increase at UK. Izzo and K do this all the time and its how K got his contract a few years ago ...

This is the far more likely scenario, assuming there were talks. That's good business and a common tactic in the profession.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy all this talk and the timing of it. Cal is the best coach for our school, but let's be honest. Cal always tells a story in a way that makes him look like the hero. If he really wants the fans to believe he is somehow sacrificing by only making 52.5 million in 7 years rather than 60 million, he is not as smart as I thought. I am sure MB knew what Cal's market value would be in the NBA and he matched it. Cal needs to just say "Thanks BBN" and move on with coaching.

Later...

Quote Originally Posted by backagain View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't buy all this talk and the timing of it. Cal is the best coach for our school, but let's be honest. Cal always tells a story in a way that makes him look like the hero. If he really wants the fans to believe he is somehow sacrificing by only making 52.5 million in 7 years rather than 60 million, he is not as smart as I thought. I am sure MB knew what Cal's market value would be in the NBA and he matched it. Cal needs to just say "Thanks BBN" and move on with coaching.

Later...
    Best I can tell with help from "the rest of the story" that's what he's done and I'm not quite as naive as I thought I was.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Bombino

I’ve implied on here several times that money is not everything. Calipari is in no need of money. He has enough for him and his family for many years. Calipari has said at times it took him twenty years to get the UK job. He loves the challenge of it and handles the situation as well as anyone could. Being able to be where you want to be and do what you want to do is very important when money is not the issue. Will he stay, who knows?
    I don’t think he will leave UK for another job but may retire from coaching… maybe. However, it’s hard for a great coach to stay on the sidelines and not be in the mix of the game. Phil Jackson and Larry Brown are a few good examples.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

If this anolgy applies to anyone please go tested qucikly.

It is a little sobering. Not in the room or in Cal's mind it is hard to know for certain where facts end and conjecture begins.

The bottom line is that Cal is here and with this contract I think he retires at Kentucky. I think this bodes well for the Program.

If accurate, Memphis reportedly was offering more for Cal to stay after Cal had accepted the UK job. Money is element in this but other considerations matter as well. I think Cal's genius will be better appreciated at the collegiate level than in the NBA. And I also believe that UK has shown a tremendous commitment to our Coach.

Um, thanks?

Unforgettable

IMO IRS not about getting a raise, it's about showing recruits who the NBA thinks can coach NBA players and where they should go to school to get the best training

He said the contract extension was a done deal back in April. Where does that stack up with the opinions brought forth in the article?
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

IMHO, if Cal didn't get the new contract at Kentucky he'd be in the NBA this season.

Saying money always matters isn't the same as saying it's the only thing that matters. But it's closer to that than the other polar extreme.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forum Runner