Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm AD; Cal Leaves Within 2 Yrs..My Top 3 Choices Are Pearl, Pitino, Donovan

Re: I'm AD; Cal Leaves Within 2 Yrs..My Top 3 Choices Are Pearl, Pitino, Donovan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post
    I'm all in with Brad Stevens. IMO, he goes to Duke if K leaves first or UK of Cal leaves first.

Again, just my opinion.

Peace

Richard (CW)
    I think that might depend on how well Wojo does at Marquette. If he is really good there, the Dukies will be slobbering over him to replace Coach Ratface.

Quote Originally Posted by backagain View Post
    Sean Miller will be the next coach at UK. Later...
    I think you are right--I've heard that from other sources

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Re: I'm AD; Cal Leaves Within 2 Yrs..My Top 3 Choices Are Pearl, Pitino, Donovan

Darryl,

I do agree there are very few legitimate replacements for Cal which shows just how his shoes are.

Fair point about Stevens and in terms of showmanship he might be the anti-Cal. Walk softly. Comes across very humble. Just a quiet teacher. I have no idea if that is accurate but it is the image he portrays. That might not work here regardless of the win/loss record.

I truly value your basketball opinon so when you speak so highly of Pearl I have to listen. I don't agree but I am always willing to listen.

Not sure if I would ever want a Carolina guy on my staff so Marshall I would keep at a distance.

Pitino would bring back a civil war amongst the fans. And he would truly be a stop gap measure.

I think Miller has to be a little younger than Donovan. Donovan graduated in 87 while Miller and Coach Antigua were on that Pitt team that pasted us in November of 91. But Donovan is the superior coach.

Should Cal stay until the end of his contract the list of desirable coaches will have changed dramatically in that period of time. Guys who are not ready today that we don't about could become front runners. Today's up and comers could be selling insurance by the time Cal is ready to leave the UK bench.

All is conjecture and good food for thought. Keep the debate going.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    Interesting, I see very few alternatives to my list.

1. Brad Stevens: I like his cool hand Luke style but his teams make Tubby Smith's teams look like Loyola Mary Mount under Westhead.

2. Sean Miller is recruiting great because of that Oakland Soldiers AAU pipe line. He is Donovan's age and IIRC has 2 Elite 8s on his resume.

3. I like WSU's Marshall but rumor has it he bleeds UNC blue (lifetime fan)

4. Bill Self is terrific but if he goes anywhere it will be the Thunder or Spurs, IMO.

I think Cal stays till he is 62-63 so by then the picture will be much clearer.

Darryl

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

I had not thought about Cal back then but wanted Donovan badly. I was very disappointed that we went with Tubby as I felt Billy was an investment in the future.

But hindsight being 50/50 how do you think either man would have done in 1997 at UK? Were they prepared for it? Would they have wilted? I wonder especially about Donovan as gambling issues with Teddy Dupay and the Roy Williams accusations would have received far more scrutiny at UK than Florida.

Certainly if either had been here recruiting and with it tournament success could have been better. Although Billy lost early some years.

What do you think?

Good discussion overall. As one can see, we "ain't" going to be too happy when Cal leaves. In 1997 I just KNEW Cal or Donovan would be terrific following Pitino. In 2007 I thought Cal was the only choice. On my birthday in 2009 (March 31st) I got my belated gift. It has been one Hell of a ride.

When/if the 2 and through is passed I think Cal stays till he retires. He will flirt with the NBA several more times, but he is on a historic journey here at UK. It will take an offer that is almost impossible to pass on and I just can't see that happening.

Darryl

Love ya Darryl but I'm glad you aren't the AD
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

Quote Originally Posted by CGWildcat View Post
    Love ya Darryl but I'm glad you aren't the AD
    I think Darryl would be a great improvement over Mitch. 😺

Good discussion overall. As one can see, we "ain't" going to be too happy when Cal leaves.

Darryl
    That's the common ground with everyone, I believe.

For me, I can't think of a single coach I'd want. I guess that's a major issue. You HAVE to have a short list constantly, and my short list today is just devoid of legitimate candidates.

The coaches that have done the best at Kentucky have been "bigger than life" coaches. Master showmen. People who thrive in the limelight, from Adolph "anything for a story" Rupp, to Ricky P. to John C.

I have to believe that's where Darryl's support of Bruce Pearl originates. He touches on that area, doesn't he?

I really don't like a single candidate. I don't see anybody stepping into the shoes of John Calipari and performing at his level. There's a crapshoot element with anyone else.

Because of that, i go with Brad Stevens, who I think has the best mind and is the most rock solid person. On his "down" years, I think you'd see a quality product, and he has the same ceiling anyone else has. His floor is just higher than others.

By the way, I have no idea if he'd be interested. But right now, he's my only choice. And I'm not enamored with the choice. No offense intended to Brad Stevens--I'm selecting him over every other coach in the game, so that speaks volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
    Darryl,

I truly value your basketball opinon so when you speak so highly of Pearl I have to listen. I don't agree but I am always willing to listen.

I have softened my stance on Bruce Pearl precisely for this reason.

I admit that I questioned whether John Calipari would be able to recruit without the NCAA-sanctioned/approved Fed Ex Supplements available to Memphis players. Darryl (and Bigsky, and a few others) were consistent with their position that he would, and would do well. They were right. Maybe Darryl's right here, too. While I don't agree, I have to listen. I'd just add it to the long, and heaping pile of things I've been wrong before on.

Will be someone on staff or formerly on staff imo.

No one with a clear cut and long term future in coaching at the division one level is going to come in here and try to follow Cal.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

1. Miller
    2. Chakka
    3. Someone will pop up....

I'm AD; Cal Leaves Within 2 Yrs..My Top 3 Choices Are Pearl, Pitino, Donovan

Which Pitino? Not that it matters. Daddy P even if he wanted to come back he's not stupid enough to come back and get swamped in Cal's wake, plus he's to old for us to have to wait 6-7 seasons before he gets even a moderately good team together.

Baby P won't be able to be pried away from UL once Daddy P leaves him the keys, plus Baby P is still way unproven.

I'm all for let's see who's out there in 5-7 seasons, but if it had to happen tomorrow Miller, or Stevens, and that's only because Rick Barnes would have already removed his name for consideration for the job.

I think also the bigger question is "who has a pair big enough to accept the position in the wake of Cal"???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Just wondering why none of Cal's assistants since he's been at UK have been mentioned.... Surely they've learned a thing or two.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Stevens would be at the top of my list. Great basketball mind. Quality person. Can handle the pressure of the job. Would be a good fit.
    Marshall would be 2nd on my list. The guy is a proven winner. Again - great basketball mind. What he has accomplished at WSU is amazing. Imagine what he could do with the resources of UK behind him?

I do not want Donovan. He turned us down twice. He wouldn't even be on my list. Pearl is a joke. All I can imagine is the laughing stock our program would become with him at the helm. It is one thing to go shirtless to women's basketball games at UT - painting yourself orange and acting like a buffoon. It is totally another when you are the head guy at UK. That idiotic behavior would put us on Sport's Center all right - but not for any reason we would want.
    Smart is good young coach - but I want him to prove himself a bit more before giving him the keys to the kingdom. Sean Miller does not excite me as much as the rest of you guys. I am actually more sold on his baby brother. Archie seems to have more of an upside to me.

All in all I will get down on my knees and pray Cal stays for the next 7 years and the problem of finding a new coach works itself out in the meantime - because right now I am not too thrilled at any of the prospects.
    I'm keeping Receipts!!

Not sure why the love for Miller, he is handed the top players in the West and has yet to reach a final four where as Stevens took a bunch of hoosiers to two straight
    final fours which shows he can coach.

Give me Stevens all day.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Do we want a first-time coach to take this job? His only UK assistant to take a head coaching job is Antiqua and he has yet to coach a game. Who knows what kind of coach he will be like when Cal leaves, but he will still likely be very new and unproven.

it was bad enough to have Reggie Hanson try to get on the job training as an assisstant; I can't imagine we would want the main man going through something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    Just wondering why none of Cal's assistants since he's been at UK have been mentioned.... Surely they've learned a thing or two.

Miller got to OT in the Elite 8 against the same Wisconsin team that UK barely beat at the end; it's not like he has never gotten out of the first weekend or not had any success.

Stevens is another good name, but what if he has success with Boston & decides to stay there?

Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
    Not sure why the love for Miller, he is handed the top players in the West and has yet to reach a final four where as Stevens took a bunch of hoosiers to two straight
    final fours which shows he can coach.

Give me Stevens all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I have to believe that's where Darryl's support of Bruce Pearl originates. He touches on that area, doesn't he?
    The difference between a VP of Marketing and a used car salesmen. They're both salesmen, but only in the broadest sense. A marketer sculpts a brand image, orchestrates a message. Car salesmen set up dunk tanks at frat parties.

Running a corner grocery doesn't mean you can run Wal Mart, even though they sell the same things. Pearl is Hal Mumme, exciting style, not nearly enough substance or maturity to operate the corporate environment that is UK athletics
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fiddlin' Five

Don't be shocked if Kenny Payne is not head coach in waiting, just sayin.

As for who to hire, the truth is no one will look good now or 5 years from now (with rare exceptions). Rick didn't look like the perfect, "going to have a Golden Era and win the sEC in 2 years" hire. People liked the Cal hire, it wasn't obvious he'd do this well. Likewise the Sutton hire looked good, Final Four coach, fell apart fast.

As we've seen no coach will look as good at Zona or whereever as they will at UK, and the job is so much more here it's a lot of guesswork who will embrace it and who won't.

I agree with darrell that it's about having a larger than life guy, someone wiht the persona to fill that big stage, but it has to be the right persona. The job comes iwth a lot of responsibility and power.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Is that the kind of success UK fans would be happy with? He has top shelf talent every year.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Miller got to OT in the Elite 8 against the same Wisconsin team that UK barely beat at the end; it's not like he has never gotten out of the first weekend or not had any success.

Stevens is another good name, but what if he has success with Boston & decides to stay there?
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Rupp's Runt

Well, we could always ask Roy...........
    MOLON LABE!

Having read both pages of this thread, 1 thought comes to mind:

This thread has been open for almost 8 hours, and no one has made the obligatory Rick Barnes joke yet.

C'mon folks. We're better than that.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by cattails View Post
    Don't be shocked if Kenny Payne is not head coach in waiting, just sayin.
    Interesting thought. I will say that when the time comes I believe Cal will be a big part of the process and whoever is hired.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    In that regard I wouldn't overlook Antigua or possibly Kenny P. Orlando may have made a strong move taking an HC job. He could be ready when needed.

I know he has said "no" twice, but I would always start with Donovan. He's too good of a coach to ignore. I would also hope that Antigua gets a look if he has a decent resume at USF...Tubbs had taken UGA to a sweet sixteen. If Antigua can turn USF into a constant NCAA team, then he would deserve more than just a look, because we know he can recruit. I am on the wait and see with KP, another that can recruit---done it at Oregon and UK. I think he needs to go somewhere for a couple of seasons and show that he can coach as well. Neither Cal nor Rick have a ton of great coaches on their tree. Another name I would like to see get a look is Vogel from the Pacers.
    "So KY hires, FSU DC Mark Stoops...Does that excite anybody?" Finebaum

See post # 41

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Having read both pages of this thread, 1 thought comes to mind:

This thread has been open for almost 8 hours, and no one has made the obligatory Rick Barnes joke yet.

C'mon folks. We're better than that.

Fiddlin' Five

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBird View Post
    Interesting thought. I will say that when the time comes I believe Cal will be a big part of the process and whoever is hired.
    If you think about it, Kenny could be ready to just keep the ship sailing in the same direction, not change a thing. And let's also remember he just got promoted to associate head coach and he is the right age as he has several years left. I could see Cal grooming him to step right in. And yes I believe you are right in that Cal will have a lot to do the process IMO.

Fiddlin' Five

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    In that regard I wouldn't overlook Antigua or possibly Kenny P. Orlando may have made a strong move taking an HC job. He could be ready when needed.
    Mick a lot of it will depend on what and how Antigua runs his own program. This system Cal has going is working and I see no reason for it to stop.

Darryl, your list seems to point to you having an affinity for liars, and in 2 of the 3 cases, slime balls for coaches. I am surprised.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Darryl, your list seems to point to you having an affinity for liars, and in 2 of the 3 cases, slime balls for coaches. I am surprised.
    I would estimate 90% of the fans on every UK message board (including our old Scout site) said the same thing about Calipari before March, 2009.
    These guys are by no means perfect but few coaches/people are.

Darryl