Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm AD; Cal Leaves Within 2 Yrs..My Top 3 Choices Are Pearl, Pitino, Donovan

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

I'm AD; Cal Leaves Within 2 Yrs..My Top 3 Choices Are Pearl, Pitino, Donovan

There MAY be more coaches that could handle this monster Cal has created but those 3 I am almost certain could (I KNOW Pitino would have no problems). In order I would call:

1. Pearl: I love his style of play, his recruiting would/could be near Calipari-ish, he can be very charming and loves/respects BBN. Yes, he has "sinned" in the past. So be it.

2. Pitino: I think he has 6 top level seasons left in him and he is one of the 3 best coaches currently. I know he is a traitor but this is a business. UL fans still think he is a UK coach and so does he. The program would not step back at all, IMO.

3. Donovan: unsure if he would move to another University. Seems to have 1.5 eyes on the NBA. The job he has done at Florida is a top 5 building a program resume ever.

Not a Sean Miller fan. Not a Brad Stevens fan (unsure he could recruit at the level we love). A younger coach would be over-whelmed.

By the way, if Cal was thinking of going to the NBA I would tell him Pitino would probably be taking his place in THE CHAIR at UK. Bet he would stay just to spite Rick.

Darryl

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Re: I'm AD; Cal Leaves Within 2 Yrs..My Top 3 Choices Are Pearl, Pitino, Donovan

I am not confident in Pearl's ability. Big differences in Cal vs Pearl in terms of the man's character and integrity. We would notice that and recruits would notice that.

As for Brad Stevens is it him or just a special group of Butler players? I think it is him. I like Stevens and think he would be the best investment going forward.

Rick Pitino? Wow. I first thought you were going to debate the merits of junior--who I don't feel confident enough in to support.

Donovan, who was my choice in 1997, has burned those bridges in no small part out of his loyalty to Pitino. Billy has the resume and would do well at UK. I think that ship has sailed.

The best guy should Cal leaves in the next few years is Brad Stevens. I like his demeanor. I do believe he can build good teams and recruit elite players.

But let's all be honest. Cal has recruited at a level and pace that is unheard of in the game's history. No one is going to come close to this type of annual recruiting haul. Comparing anyone to Cal's performance in getting players will leave a person disappointed.

Fab Five

Re: I'm AD; Cal Leaves Within 2 Yrs..My Top 3 Choices Are Pearl, Pitino, Donovan

Sorry, you are 0-for-3. And a big time 0-for-3 IMHO. I'm not sure Pearl could begin to handle the pressure that being at UK would be. In fact, I think it's possible that with his personality we could some cracking occur at some point if he were at UK.

Pitino is too old. He somehow (thank you, John Calipari) rallied himself for this one last great run but he is done. Whether it is there or here, he is done.

Donovan is a very good coach and is young enough to come in and give us a number of good years. Regardless of what he's done at UF (and at times it has been outstanding) UK is a definite step up. I wouldn't like it, but could tolerate it because of the three you mention he is the only one with even a chance of winning a title.

Whether Brad Stevens could recruit at a level we might want or not, I do believe he would be able to win and that is all that matters. If you do it with guys in the top 10 or in the bottom 10 of the top 100, does it matter? But I do believe he would be able to recruit at a high level, particularly with having been in the NBA. But there is no way he is going to leave Boston until he gives that a fair shot.

What about someone like Greg Marshall who has proven he can win anywhere he has been? If he can recruit any talent to Wichita St surely he could recruit guys to UK.

But the good news is this - it's all hypothetical. Like it or not, we are stuck with this Calipari guy for at least 5 years or so!!

Rupp's Runt

Well, whoever we get after Cal leaves, let's hope that Mike Pratt will still be actively engaged in the selection effort. I still have doubts about Mitch doing it by himself again, and definitely do not want him going 'rogue' like he did with Billy Clyde. JMHO.
    MOLON LABE!

Stevens has that NBA cred now.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    Well, whoever we get after Cal leaves, let's hope that Mike Pratt will still be actively engaged in the selection effort. I still have doubts about Mitch doing it by himself again, and definitely do not want him going 'rogue' like he did with Billy Clyde. JMHO.
    Clyde is available

If Rick Pitino was ever hired by UK in ANY capacity, UK wouldn't get another dime from me until he and everyone associated with his hiring was gone. The man is a snake and I don't want him anywhere near my program.

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

He is also a good judge of talent and has commanded loyalty of his players. Stevens has not been one to make big speeches or be flamboyant. He is a personable basektball coach--that while friendly comes across as a no non-sense kind of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Stevens has that NBA cred now.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Clyde is available
    And it wouldn't be long before the rioting in Lexington started making it look like Beirut.
    MOLON LABE!

I can't imagine we would be able to get Stevens. He is going to have great success in Boston, and I think he'll stay in the NBA for a long time.

Other college coaches? Shaka Smart, maybe, though I admit his star may be falling. I like his intensity, though.

If we were to keep it "in the family," I'd be curious to see how Antigua does at USF over the next few years. He is a great recruiter, and he would be a seamless transition from the Calipari era. For that matter, maybe Robic could even be a stop-gap pick (a la Bill Guthridge at UNC) until the right long-term guy came along.

I don't think anyone that wants Brad Stevens is familiar enough with his style of play. People were having meltdowns over Tubby's slow ball, and Stevens plays at an even slower pace than that. Be prepared for a bunch of whining when we're consistently scoring in the 50's and low 60's.

Bruce Pearl is a fiasco waiting to happen. Even if the fiasco never happens, if the person doing the hiring knows what he is doing, UK can and should get a great coach without taking that risk. UK is not Auburn or Tennessee. If I were the UK President and I opened the AD's desk drawer and saw Pearl at or near the top of his short list, I would fire the AD on the spot. Selling the program short that way got us Billy Clyde.

Pitino? I really can't believe that anyone would suggest hiring a washed up philandering rapist as the coach of the greatest program in college basketball.

Donovan is the only reasonable suggestion of the three, but he has his own warts. For one, he can't seem to beat a washed up philandering rapist. He probably makes my top 5, but not my top 3.
    I wouldn't pull for UofL if they were playing the Taliban.

Sean Miller will be the next coach at UK.

Later...

Quote Originally Posted by backagain View Post
    Sean Miller will be the next coach at UK.

Later...
    That's my pick. Although his actual coaching has left me unmoved at times. But he can recruit to the mind baking desert. So he can certainly recruit even better to UK. And while I love Xs and Os, it's always more about the Jimmies and Joes.

Man Darryl tell me you just snorted bath salts before you made that list and I'll forgive you! Ha. I think the picture will be clearer in a few years on who the best choice will be and I bet cal recruits him too.
    Go Cats!

Darryl either you or I are very very wrong about Pearl.

I'm not sure where you get his recruiting is so awesome. He got a few 5* guys at UT (most with local ties), but mostly not, and he has a cheesy style that I don't see translating to UK at all. No one since Wooden and Gilbert has recruited like Cal, Pearl won't even be in the same hemisphere nor is it reasonable to expect any coach to do so. What's his pro record, why would the next crop of OAD guys flock to him? Does he have a Rose or Evans to seed his startup?

THat's just not going to be repeated no matter who we hire.

As for Rick, I know you put little value on the non-win character and behavior of the coach, and that's a legitimate view though I think a short term one, but seriously? How about the value of not having the BBN tear itself apart in a massive civil war? Why not go after Knight so we can really have a show. lol

Donovan is possible, but I generally want a coach who is hungry, and Donovan likely isn't very hungry.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

OP, you are kidding aren't you? Pearl would never be hired by UK and shouldn't be based on his past. Maybe the younger Pitino should be considered but Rick is headed to retirement soon and wouldn't leave UL anyway. Donavan could have had the job at least twice before, he's entrenched in Fla

1. I like Pearl and think he could do a great job. Plus I think he would take pride in annoying the hell out of UL.

2. Not no but HELL NO! Can't stand that man. Wish his name was removed from the rafters.

3.Donavan would be ok but the Pitino connection just reeks to me.

Gregg Marshall would be the guy I would want the most followed by Stevens. Another guy I would like and this might shock you guys is Fred Hoiberg. His work at Iowa St has been great and his teams are fun to watch.

Interesting, I see very few alternatives to my list.

1. Brad Stevens: I like his cool hand Luke style but his teams make Tubby Smith's teams look like Loyola Mary Mount under Westhead.

2. Sean Miller is recruiting great because of that Oakland Soldiers AAU pipe line. He is Donovan's age and IIRC has 2 Elite 8s on his resume.

3. I like WSU's Marshall but rumor has it he bleeds UNC blue (lifetime fan)

4. Bill Self is terrific but if he goes anywhere it will be the Thunder or Spurs, IMO.

I think Cal stays till he is 62-63 so by then the picture will be much clearer.

Darryl

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKERCATFAN View Post
    1. I like Pearl and think he could do a great job. Plus I think he would take pride in annoying the hell out of UL.

2. Not no but HELL NO! Can't stand that man. Wish his name was removed from the rafters.

3.Donavan would be ok but the Pitino connection just reeks to me.

Gregg Marshall would be the guy I would want the most followed by Stevens. Another guy I would like and this might shock you guys is Fred Hoiberg. His work at Iowa St has been great and his teams are fun to watch.
    Hoiberg would be interesting. He does pride himself on taking players many consider "head cases" so that might bite him in the butt somewhere down the line. If he came to UK he would on the NBA short list every season.

Darryl

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    There MAY be more coaches that could handle this monster Cal has created but those 3 I am almost certain could (I KNOW Pitino would have no problems). In order I would call:

1. Pearl: I love his style of play, his recruiting would/could be near Calipari-ish, he can be very charming and loves/respects BBN. Yes, he has "sinned" in the past. So be it.

2. Pitino: I think he has 6 top level seasons left in him and he is one of the 3 best coaches currently. I know he is a traitor but this is a business. UL fans still think he is a UK coach and so does he. The program would not step back at all, IMO.

3. Donovan: unsure if he would move to another University. Seems to have 1.5 eyes on the NBA. The job he has done at Florida is a top 5 building a program resume ever.

Not a Sean Miller fan. Not a Brad Stevens fan (unsure he could recruit at the level we love). A younger coach would be over-whelmed.

By the way, if Cal was thinking of going to the NBA I would tell him Pitino would probably be taking his place in THE CHAIR at UK. Bet he would stay just to spite Rick.

Darryl
    Love ya Darryl, but you gotta get off this Bruce Pearl kick lol....Sean Miller is my choice. Donavon is either going to retire at UF or go to the NBA...Pitino?? would never ever happen.

Fab Five

I believe Archie Miller would be on my list. And if I wanted someone older it would be Gregg Marshall. Don't need to be turned down by Donovan again. Don't want either Pitino. We have to have some sense of decency. Pearl is a showman and a recruiter, not a basketball coach. We don't need a bball coach who tries to draw all the attention to himself.

I think Pearl's next few years at Auburn will tell us a lot about him. I wouldn't be for his hire, but I don't think you are crazy for suggesting it either.
    My 3 calls would be:

1. Donovan

2. Sean Miller

3. Thad Matta

Honorable Mention: Hoiberg (He would make my Top 3, but he is at his alma mater, and I think his next stop is the NBA).
    ~Puma~

That's why we are posting on an opinion board, myself would never touch any of the three.

Would be all over Stevens if Cal leaves in the next couple years.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Sean Miller, Billy Donovan and Brad Stevens. Obviously Donovan has to be first choice.

Some here will want us to find another Cal but unfortunately only 2 guys come close, Pearl and Pastner and Pearl's past is a serious no no.. UK under Mitch would NEVER let that happen .. just remember that it took a letter from the NCAA to say Cal was clean for Mitch to give the ok to hire him.. and the NCAA isn't going to give the ok on Pearl after being caught red handed and lying to boot. So it would be Pastner, who has the showmanship and recruiting that are on par with Cal.. the coaching on the other hand is not so maybe just get Pastner to hire an ex head coach to take over the strategies , x's and 0's.

I know some will want to torture me for saying this but I'd look at Richard Pitino as well. The kid is going to be a hall of fame coach like his dad. why let UL get him ?

Miller is my first choice and there is really no one else who even remotely excites me. Maybe Thad Matta, but I don't think he'd leave OSU unless we overpaid for him, and I don't want to do that.

I'd be happy with Hoiberg, but I think our best chance there is after he fails in the NBA. He's so beloved in Ames that I don't think he's leaving for another college job. I do think he'll jump to the NBA soon though. Maybe he'd be the replacement to Cal's replacement?

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    Interesting, I see very few alternatives to my list.
    And that's good because like you, I believe we don't need a list for 7 years or so. Who knows who may emerge during that time frame?

As for Marshall, he may bleed the wrong color blue, but my guess is that if offered the best job in college basketball (college sports?) he would take it. Hell, I hate UT but if they offered me a job with the right things with it, I'd be able to live looking at that gawd-awful orange!

Good discussion overall. As one can see, we "ain't" going to be too happy when Cal leaves. In 1997 I just KNEW Cal or Donovan would be terrific following Pitino. In 2007 I thought Cal was the only choice. On my birthday in 2009 (March 31st) I got my belated gift. It has been one Hell of a ride.

When/if the 2 and through is passed I think Cal stays till he retires. He will flirt with the NBA several more times, but he is on a historic journey here at UK. It will take an offer that is almost impossible to pass on and I just can't see that happening.

Darryl

I'm all in with Brad Stevens. IMO, he goes to Duke if K leaves first or UK of Cal leaves first.

Again, just my opinion.

Peace

Richard (CW)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
    OP, you are kidding aren't you? Pearl would never be hired by UK and shouldn't be based on his past. Maybe the younger Pitino should be considered but Rick is headed to retirement soon and wouldn't leave UL anyway. Donavan could have had the job at least twice before, he's entrenched in Fla
    Terry, if NCAA violations/issues precluded hiring a coach at UK we would not have gotten Pitino, Cal, or Rich Brooks.

The NCAA should be used to being around liars; their office runneth over with them.

Darryl