Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: My Favorite Senator talks some sense on Immigration reform. Reduces it to 1 paragraph

Fab Five

My Favorite Senator talks some sense on Immigration reform. Reduces it to 1 paragraph

Senator Jefferson D. Sessions R-AL

Imagine that the Administration announced it would no longer enforce any tax fraud violations in amounts under $1 million, as a matter of “prosecutorial discretion.” Would we not see a massive spike in tax fraud in amounts less than a million dollars? It would be a unilateral repeal of an entire section of the criminal code by the Executive Branch. Now further imagine the Administration expanding the policy to say that tax fraud — in any amount — will be permitted so long as the proceeds are transferred to a minor relative. After all, this minor, the Administration argues, received the money “through no fault of their own” and so it would be morally improper to apply the law in such cases — it would be a violation of their “civil rights.” Does anyone doubt this would lead to a total collapse of tax enforcement nationwide?

http://yellowhammernews.com/national...gle-paragraph/

Re: My Favorite Senator talks some sense on Immigration reform. Reduces it to 1 parag

The solution is really quite simple. Just streamline the pathway to make it simple but require it be done or get the hell out. You think if I went over to Mexico and violated their laws they would look the other way? If so, ask Retired Marine Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi his opinion on that. Follow OUR laws or go to JAIL.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Rupp's Runt

Re: My Favorite Senator talks some sense on Immigration reform. Reduces it to 1 parag

I agree with Doc. Only I have a little more of a vested interest in this due to my spouse & children. The process takes entirely too long, and along the way my spouse & kids had to endure a great amount of stress and some indignaties as well, mostly from fellow Filipino civilian staff working for the USCIS in the American Embassy in Manila.
    And then there are the guys who must endure a wait of 10 years here before they are allowed to bring their families here...........legally, following the rules, but they have to be seperated from their families for 10 damn years. That isn't right, and is one of the reforms needed, along with, oh, let's say.........securing our borders!
    MOLON LABE!

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    I agree with Doc. Only I have a little more of a vested interest in this due to my spouse & children. The process takes entirely too long, and along the way my spouse & kids had to endure a great amount of stress and some indignaties as well, mostly from fellow Filipino civilian staff working for the USCIS in the American Embassy in Manila.
    And then there are the guys who must endure a wait of 10 years here before they are allowed to bring their families here...........legally, following the rules, but they have to be seperated from their families for 10 damn years. That isn't right, and is one of the reforms needed, along with, oh, let's say.........securing our borders!
    It is a complete travesty that the process works against those who follow the law. What we have seen with this administration is that judicial discretion is wrapped in political games and incompetence.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 06-12-2014 at 08:51 AM.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    It is a complete travesty that the process works against those who follow the law. What we have seen with this administration is that judicial discretion is wrapped in political games and incompetence.
    Mick, it wasn't working BEFORE Obama came along, and therein lies many of the existing problems prior. I can only thank God for the help that former Congressman Mark Foley & his staff gave us with scheduling/communication problems with the USCIS after Hurricane Wilma in 2005. The USCIS is a very hard entity to deal with. Many of their employees are less than gracious in dealing with immigrants trying to legally navigate the process.
    We couldn't help it that Hurricane Wilma struck land on the same day that my wife & kids had their first change in status interviews. And it sure didn't help that everyone we talked with on the 800 line were all in different places (Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, El Paso) and none of them could have cared less about giving us the correct information about what we needed to do to reschedule the interviews.
    It was a stressful situation to have to be in, especially because it was not the result of anything we did. We called 4 different places and were told 4 different stories about what we needed to do. Each time we called(which was over a 6 week period, because on the first call we made we were told that the USCIS would contact us via mail to reschedule, which turned out to be a damn lie!)we were told something different to do. We couldn't get the truth from anybody. But after I contacted Congressman Foley's office, all of that nonsense stopped and we were finally able to get the process moving forward again.
    MOLON LABE!

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

I agree with Mick. That is beyond frustrating to Suncat05. I am sorry to hear that. People who follow the law seem to be getting penalized while those making a run to the border are getting a pass from the government.

Carry out the law or change the law and then follow it. Really frustrating stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    The solution is really quite simple. Just streamline the pathway to make it simple but require it be done or get the hell out.
    I agree, a streamlined process that isn't looking to trip up those trying to become citizens with a million technicalities would be much better than the current system. I think one huge requirement should be that those wanting citizenship should not be criminals, and should not be committing felonies while here in order to apply for citizenship.

It makes no sense that our government rewards those that don't follow the rules and wants to amnesty them when those trying to follow the rules are put through a grinder.

Unforgettable

it reminds me of the time I had to do a deposition and what my dad told me. He said...son they will get you to swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth, and then they will do everything they can to try to get you to lie...and he was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    It makes no sense that our government rewards those that don't follow the rules and wants to amnesty them when those trying to follow the rules are put through a grinder.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    it reminds me of the time I had to do a deposition and what my dad told me. He said...son they will get you to swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth, and then they will do everything they can to try to get you to lie...and he was correct.
    And it's situations like that, that makes me so glad that I have a good relationship with both of my kids, and as it appears that you had with your Dad. Insight from our elders, who had more life's experiences than we did at earlier times in our lives, is valuable. And necessary.
    I certainly wish that I would have had some working knowledge about dealing with the USCIS prior to that experience post Hurricane Wilma.
    MOLON LABE!

The solution is shockingly simple, and even with my incredibly low opinion of the political process and government it's kinda surprising we haven't gotten there.

1) expand and reform immigration for people desiring to come here and contribute and become Americans, just as our forefathers did. We are a nation of immigrants and immigration of those desiring to be free and pursue the American dream has been nothing but good for this country.

2) Build a big fat honking wall on the Mexican border and secure it and our ports from people circumventing the now expanded system for legitimately coming to America.

The problem is the "anti-immigration" side wont' agree to expanding legal, desirable, legitimate immigration, like your family, and the pro-immigration side won't agree to stop the tide of uncontrolled and entirely criminal flow of illegal immigration.

Real reform would also IMO yes include a way for those here to get to citizenship, simply b/c I don't think we get the deal otherwise. in my ideal world people who break laws wouldn't be rewarded for it, but no such agreement would be in place UNTIL we could prevent further influx of illegals trying to get in under that plan and until that is in place we deport everyone who is illegal.

that said, such a road to citizenship isn't a freeway, it's a long and very conditional one. Like I said I cannot argue with anyone pointing out that there shouldn't be one, as it rewards breaking the law, but we're going to have to get a deal done and if we can condition it so that criminals and career welfare recipients aren't on it I can live with that compromise. there ARE a lot of folks here illegally who do really want to be productive and live good and contributory lives in America and that was their only avenue to escape a horrible situation.

It's tough to separate those good folks trying to survive and care for their families from the influx of gang members, drug dealers and lazy welfare cheats, but it can be done sufficiently with some work and actual backbone.

Give me dictatorial powers over this for 5 years and we'd have it wrapped up in a way that would be an effective solution for the nation's health and a good and sound compromise. One where neither side liked it but both could live with it and we end the blood letting of illegal immigration that is going to cause more and more problems.

I just need absolute power over this area of law, command of ICE, and a s***-ton of concrete.

PS - one of the great strengths of this country has always been the "brain drain", bright and motivated people leaving and coming to America and us benefitting from their work being here and not in another country. Right now we allow the Mexican gangs to move across the border unmolested and send the PhDs home. How dumb ass is that?
    Last edited by CitizenBBN; 06-14-2014 at 12:01 PM.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Bombino

Doesn’t this country already have a ways and means process for citizenship? I don’t think anyone has a problem with someone coming to America to be a part of the American dream…LEGALLY. Immigration in part started to fills jobs that Americans wouldn’t do. They worked in the groves and farms in the southwest as one of the reasons for allowing legal immigrants to come into America. What some see is the problem is having illegal immigrants come to America and receive medical and social benefits. Some pay no taxes on their “Pay-in-cash daily” jobs. What part of ILLEGAL are people having a problem understanding.

People coming here illegally will try whatever it takes and as many times it takes to get here. The “Border Wall” and putting people on a bus to go back to try again next week is NOT working. The government needs to enforce the laws on immigration like any other law. Illegal immigrants should be put on farms to work and supply prisons, schools and other government funded places with produce. Work with no pay will work better than a bus ticket. Six months on a farm for a first offense and two years for the next time will do more than we are doing now. Paying a person $1000 to get here and work for nothing does not make sense, but that’s my opinion.

This could well give cause for someone eager to impose marshal law.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

the government is burying a lot of negative data on illegal immigrants and also on radical Islam in this country. Those in charge politically right now don't want everyone to know how much damage th
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Bombino

Mick, it wasn't working BEFORE Obama came along, and therein lies many of the existing problems prior. I can only thank God for the help that former Congressman Mark Foley & his staff gave us with scheduling/communication problems with the USCIS after Hurricane Wilma in 2005. The USCIS is a very hard entity to deal with. Many of their employees are less than gracious in dealing with immigrants trying to legally navigate the process.
    We couldn't help it that Hurricane Wilma struck land on the same day that my wife & kids had their first change in status interviews. And it sure didn't help that everyone we talked with on the 800 line were all in different places (Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, El Paso) and none of them could have cared less about giving us the correct information about what we needed to do to reschedule the interviews.
    It was a stressful situation to have to be in, especially because it was not the result of anything we did. We called 4 different places and were told 4 different stories about what we needed to do. Each time we called(which was over a 6 week period, because on the first call we made we were told that the USCIS would contact us via mail to reschedule, which turned out to be a damn lie!)we were told something different to do. We couldn't get the truth from anybody. But after I contacted Congressman Foley's office, all of that nonsense stopped and we were finally able to get the process moving forward again.
    That sounds like par for the course with USCIS. When my ex and I were going through adjustment of status, they actually lost our check. You know, the one that pays for the adjustment of status. They said they had proof they received it, but they didn't know where it was. By the time they found the check, it had expired; and no they would not take another one until they found the first one for some messed up reason, so the AoS was on hold until that point. I have told this story before but still, the best example of dealing with USCIS was a chemistry professor at UK. He was in the running for a nobel prize at one point (but lost to someone else), so lets just say he had no problem securing all of the funding he wanted. He would often sponsor his students to get a green card (which by the way, we ONLY admit 140,000 employment greencards a year with EACH eligible country getting around 7% irrespective of size. So Vietnam gets 9,800 as does china and India despite the massive difference in size). After having USCIS lose various documents through the years, he made sure to always retain copies of EVERY single document ever submitted. Well, sure enough along comes one unlucky student where they lost his ENTIRE packet not once but TWICE! That is every single document that he submitted to them. Poof, gone! TWICE!

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    The solution is shockingly simple, and even with my incredibly low opinion of the political process and government it's kinda surprising we haven't gotten there.

1) expand and reform immigration for people desiring to come here and contribute and become Americans, just as our forefathers did. We are a nation of immigrants and immigration of those desiring to be free and pursue the American dream has been nothing but good for this country.

2) Build a big fat honking wall on the Mexican border and secure it and our ports from people circumventing the now expanded system for legitimately coming to America.

The problem is the "anti-immigration" side wont' agree to expanding legal, desirable, legitimate immigration, like your family, and the pro-immigration side won't agree to stop the tide of uncontrolled and entirely criminal flow of illegal immigration.

Real reform would also IMO yes include a way for those here to get to citizenship, simply b/c I don't think we get the deal otherwise. in my ideal world people who break laws wouldn't be rewarded for it, but no such agreement would be in place UNTIL we could prevent further influx of illegals trying to get in under that plan and until that is in place we deport everyone who is illegal.

that said, such a road to citizenship isn't a freeway, it's a long and very conditional one. Like I said I cannot argue with anyone pointing out that there shouldn't be one, as it rewards breaking the law, but we're going to have to get a deal done and if we can condition it so that criminals and career welfare recipients aren't on it I can live with that compromise. there ARE a lot of folks here illegally who do really want to be productive and live good and contributory lives in America and that was their only avenue to escape a horrible situation.

It's tough to separate those good folks trying to survive and care for their families from the influx of gang members, drug dealers and lazy welfare cheats, but it can be done sufficiently with some work and actual backbone.

Give me dictatorial powers over this for 5 years and we'd have it wrapped up in a way that would be an effective solution for the nation's health and a good and sound compromise. One where neither side liked it but both could live with it and we end the blood letting of illegal immigration that is going to cause more and more problems.

I just need absolute power over this area of law, command of ICE, and a s***-ton of concrete.

PS - one of the great strengths of this country has always been the "brain drain", bright and motivated people leaving and coming to America and us benefitting from their work being here and not in another country. Right now we allow the Mexican gangs to move across the border unmolested and send the PhDs home. How dumb ass is that?
    The reverse brain drain has been an issue for a few decades now and we do NOTHING about it. A HUGE part of the reason that China and India have advanced so rapidly is based upon OUR education system. Having a masters in chemistry, I have known MANY international graduate students. Many that I considered good friends. You would not BELIEVE how hard it is for them to stay here. Most of them have been here for 7+ years (including their post doc) and no longer have a desire to return to their home country. It isn't because life wouldn't be good in their home country, most would go back and get jobs enabling them to live an upper-middle class to lower-upper class life but because they have lived here so long they are basically american. They are used to the American way of life, the American culture and ethos, the American way things work and the American environment. These are not low-life scum, these are people with PhD's and post-docs in synthetic inorganic chemistry, bioanalytical chemistry, nanomaterials engineering, advanced business/finance degrees, etc. These are the EXACT kind of people that you WANT in this country. And unfortunately, of the ones that I know, I would say 60-70% had to go back to their home country (in some fields like finance and business the number is closer to 100%). Of those, 50+% eventually found a job that sponsored their work visa bringing them back but this was usually after a few years. Additionally, they take a HUGE hit (around 30-40%) in salary to get back here. I knew PhDs making $50-55,000 at a job where their visa status was constantly held over their heads t ensure they were working ridiculous hours. They accepted it though because they no longer felt at home in their native country, too much time had passed and they had changed to be more or less American. Most found a path to a green card via either employer sponsorship or other channels, but some still haven't.

This doesn't even begin to touch on the fact that our tax dollars indirectly fund their education, though truth be told, we come out ahead due to the huge benefit from the research they produce. That still doesn't change the fact that our tax dollars pay for their education, then we kick them out the door even when they want to stay here.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward100 View Post
    Doesn’t this country already have a ways and means process for citizenship? I don’t think anyone has a problem with someone coming to America to be a part of the American dream…LEGALLY.
    This countries legal path to citizenship is fundamentally fucked up and broken. There is no better way to say it, if you are trying to take the legal path prepare to be run through the ringer time and time again. Prepare to be lied to, misled, treated like a criminal, treated like an inconvenience, treated like complete ****. Ask anyone who has actually been through it, in particular those who have a spouse or family going through it. It is a long, confusing, costly and degrading process.

Actually, a good number of "conservatives" that I know DO have a problem with ANY immigration, though I also know a lot more that are very open to expanding legal immigration. I have discussed expanding the H1b visa program or some sort of system to keep PhDs in the country and many respond "make them go through the legal system" and if you explain the problems in the current system, they respond "good, that is how it should be. It keeps the terrorists and gang members out." While others respond, that it helps keep wages high (though those people often are in favor of RESTRICTING legal immigration even further). I am not sure how degrading someones spouse and allowing employers to use a visa status as leverage to treat employees like crap is keeping the terrorists and gang members out, because those people don't go through the legal system anyways.

Quite simply, this entire system is a huge cluster-F of bureaucracy, xenophobia, liberal and conservative politics and just plain nasty people. I agree with

Unforgettable
    Arlington, Virginia, Kittyhawk, NC, Daytona Beach, Rupp Arena, and the Outer Rim Territories

Suncat reading your comments makes me even more frustrated by illegal immigration. Folks who are trying to do things correctly are being penalized whereas illegals are in some cases getting special benefits. For example some of the children who made it to the border last year have family on the east coast. At least one child got a tax paid flight from the border to Alexandria, VA. Where is my one free ticket?

I am not trying to minimize the plight of others I just find it frustrating that this person gets a tax paid, commercial flight. If his family are not legal, they all should have been deported.

Another thing that bothers me is that we have residents who are not US citizens in the military. Why? I say that if you are willing to serve you gain citizenship automatically.

Well said Pedro, same for suncat.

It never ceases to amaze and frustrate me how the nature of government and politics creates situations where the outcome is exactly the opposite of what the average American (or citizen of whatever country) would want to see happen.

If you gave the voters a choice between a system that attracts and retains the best and brightest minds to our country and excludes anyone with a criminal background, or one that lets criminals enter at will but drives out those with advanced degrees, would the latter system get 1 vote? Really?

yet due to government forces and politics that is the system we have built.

Like I said a year ago, I can fix the system, but I need some fairly broad powers for a few years. Like most of these problems there are a number of more efficient and better places than the one we are in, you just about can't do anything and not be better off, so long as it isn't in the hands of our government to do it.