Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

NBA Draft Confidential: Scouts Talk Embiid, Wiggins, Randle, Parker..Very Interesting

Re: NBA Draft Confidential: Scouts Talk Embiid, Wiggins, Randle, Parker..Very Interes

Boy, no one seems overly high on Randle. He might as well just pack up and come back to UK for another year...

Fiddlin' Five

Re: NBA Draft Confidential: Scouts Talk Embiid, Wiggins, Randle, Parker..Very Interes

He is hoping to go number 7 to the Lakers

I have to remember that the persons quoted were known by name and position to the author. None of them are telling the unembellished truth
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Not much there to disagree with for me.

If Embid's back is a non-issue I take him #1 no doubt. Can't teach height and he will have more impact at the NBA level than anyone else if he's 100%

PS this is why WCS is a lottery guy as well and even #1 if he shows more offense and anything like the possibility of a 15' shot. Athletic 7 footers are a big deal.

On Wiggins I agree there as well. Great athlete, big dunks, game is underdeveloped. Ron Mercer comes to mind again here, and Ron was a better shooter than Wiggins at mid-range. Still a lot to develop.

Same with Randle. Still wants to use what worked in high school too much. He branched out SOME this year, but not as much as I'd hoped. I think he is clinging to that, and I agree with the stuff about his passing as well. I won't call it selfish but I will call it not developing that part of his game. It got better, still needs a lot of work.

They're right on Parker too. Most developed offensively, could be a "shot clock shooter", defense and his overall impact are questions.

I take Embid #1 if I am good on the back issues, otherwise I take Parker. I take Embid no lower than 3, and honestly I take Randle #2 or 3 ahead of Wiggins b/c i think both need a fair amount of work and won't be able to carry the team early but Randle is more likely to put in the work and have the necessary competitive attitude.

Not sure about the others, maybe they look better but I haven't seen them enough.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

I told a friend I think he will drop to 7-8 a while back. I just believe teams will see more upside in other players, not saying I agree. I do also believe that teams may regret not picking him sooner. It is a deep draft, so in 5 years we might look back and realize it was hard to make a bad choice.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I have to remember that the persons quoted were known by name and position to the author. None of them are telling the unembellished truth
    No doubt, all of them will probably tend to poor mouth a bit on players they like, be higher on guys with more question marks. I agree with the basic summaries but also that the various teams and scouts will engage in disinformation.

I will say this seems more on point that most I read. Some of them are pretty obviously for public consumption.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

NBA guys are good at dogging players they are interested in drafting.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    I told a friend I think he will drop to 7-8 a while back. I just believe teams will see more upside in other players, not saying I agree. I do also believe that teams may regret not picking him sooner. It is a deep draft, so in 5 years we might look back and realize it was hard to make a bad choice.
    I think he can as well simply b/c he didn't expand on some things in his game and still tries to just spin and be physical on them. I have a feeling they will regret it though as he's more likely to be like a Barkley and put in the work to get better than some of the other top names.

Quote Originally Posted by udcat View Post
    Boy, no one seems overly high on Randle. He might as well just pack up and come back to UK for another year...
    They were way harsher on Wiggins than they were Randle. I actually thought they were pretty right on.

Randle will have the biggest impact imho. Tailor made for the NBA...not so much college ball.

Heck..LeBron would struggle at the college game with guys hanging all over him and looking to trip him up in traffic
    You guys will see..yeah you're wrong, ya see?

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

I think Randle will do great in the long run. He just has to learn to go right and left and not rely on the spin, and in the long run get that midrange shot.

He's like everyone else going early this year, lots of ability and a long way to go to know the game.

Randle didn't get calls because he almost always inititated contact. He has nothing at this time but a strength game. He'd develop that in college if it came to that, but if the moneyed types want to spend four or five million dollars to do what Cal would do for freev . . . I'd take it too.

These guys are all so young. They will get so much better in another couple of years. I don't think you miss with any of them.

I think Embiid is the only real risky pick because of his back, but all of the top 6-7 picks should be solid at worst NBA players.

Fiddlin' Five

Julius missed nearly his entire last year of HS....his game was not developing much during that time

The skill that nearly always translates as consistently to the NBA as in college is rebounding. Julius is the best one in the group at it. The rest of his game will improve but he'll be an effective rebounder and thus an effective piece of a team right off the bat.

The first half of the season Julius was being labled the best Wildcat player ever by many here, and hailed as the top frosh by many nationally.

Triple teams ensued and we were where we are now... wondering why Julius couldn't do better than a double/double nearly every game as a frosh. The previous Randle will be the NBA version but at a much higher level of play, imho.

I sense there'll be no drop in his averages from college to pro. His outside shooting will also be a weapon in the league..one which Cal does not call on guys like him to use much at UK.
    You won't see the new frosh "Bigs" firing up from the perimeter either, just as you didn't see Anthony Davis with the long ball green light.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Randle will flourish once he hones that 15 footer in

I will say this, seeing 3 different scouts say that Wiggins seriously lacks ball skills is a gigantic red flag. Shooting, footwork, defense, etc can all be improved, but ball skills are very difficult to improve if you have been playing your whole life. I know you can't teach athleticism but that would worry me if I were picking #1-3.
    ~Puma~

Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
    The skill that nearly always translates as consistently to the NBA as in college is rebounding. Julius is the best one in the group at it. The rest of his game will improve but he'll be an effective rebounder and thus an effective piece of a team right off the bat.
    Great observation.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forum Runner

Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
    I will say this, seeing 3 different scouts say that Wiggins seriously lacks ball skills is a gigantic red flag. Shooting, footwork, defense, etc can all be improved, but ball skills are very difficult to improve if you have been playing your whole life. I know you can't teach athleticism but that would worry me if I were picking #1-3.
    That would give me pause. Yes, they miss sometimes, but observing things like that are directly in their expertise.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forum Runner

I think objectively, the reports on Randle are pretty much on point.
    For his size he doesn't have great length needed. He is left hand dominant and did struggle to score versus defenders with length. LSU gave him fits the three times we played them, didn't they?
    However, what I read and somewhat refreshing and you could somewhat read between the lines amongst the reports was that Randle improved from high school through his freshman year. He got better and really his shot from 15 feet and out will determine his success. The flip side was the dagger regarding Wiggins/Kansas. "played in restricted system, doesn't know what to do with ball out of his hands, etc" That should be a red flag for one and doners considering KU.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Hard Ten View Post
    He is hoping to go number 7 to the Lakers
    The Lakers wated Dante Exum, but he won't likely be around for them to pick They may trade up to get him or settle for JR at 7.