Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Birmingham, Ala by Way of Hazard, Kentucky

Parrish: Keelon Lawson Wants Asst Job; Has 3 Sons That Are/Will Be McDonald's AAs

And as Parrish points out; no one is really above this:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...hing-candidate

Darryl

Re: Parrish: Keelon Lawson Wants Asst Job; Has 3 Sons That Are/Will Be McDonald's AAs

Perhaps he can fill rod Strickland's position.

Re: Parrish: Keelon Lawson Wants Asst Job; Has 3 Sons That Are/Will Be McDonald's AAs

Dedric has stated he is down to us and Memphis. In all seriousness could this bee why Strickland's positions has not been filled.

However, Cal has stated he does not have to do these things at UK.

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBird View Post
    However, Cal has stated he does not have to do these things at UK.
    I would in a nano-second. Mr Lawson seems like he is as qualified as Strickland. Now, he may want a better assistant coach position than
    Rod held.

Darryl

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    I would in a nano-second. Mr Lawson seems like he is as qualified as Strickland. Now, he may want a better assistant coach position than
    Rod held.

Darryl
    No offense Darryl, but not with a ten foot pole imho.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Fab Five

"If [a college] hires a second or third assistant, what can they bring to the table?" Lawson said. "If you hire me, I'm automatically bringing you top-20 players in the country. Automatically. There are coaches sitting on benches right now who can't do that."

"With loyalty to Josh, I would ask K.J., 'Would you want to stay [with Memphis] or would you want to go with me and Dedric?'" Keelon Lawson said. "But with us being a close-knit family, you know what the answer would be. He would say, 'Dad, I'm going with you.' So, of course, K.J. would go with me, and then Dedric, and then Chandler."

This is all I need to see to lead me to say no, quite emphatically. If he is this determined to use his sons to get an NCAA job, who know how he might act if one of his sons is not getting the PT he thinks they should or being developed the way he thinks they should. Some were critical of Harrison Sr's role in his son's decision - imagine if he was sitting on the bench? UK should work to be above this sort of stuff. We can't keep worrying about our ranking as a dynasty program but at the same time behave like a program desperate to break into the top echelon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakert View Post
    "If [a college] hires a second or third assistant, what can they bring to the table?" Lawson said. "If you hire me, I'm automatically bringing you top-20 players in the country. Automatically. There are coaches sitting on benches right now who can't do that."

"With loyalty to Josh, I would ask K.J., 'Would you want to stay [with Memphis] or would you want to go with me and Dedric?'" Keelon Lawson said. "But with us being a close-knit family, you know what the answer would be. He would say, 'Dad, I'm going with you.' So, of course, K.J. would go with me, and then Dedric, and then Chandler."

This is all I need to see to lead me to say no, quite emphatically. If he is this determined to use his sons to get an NCAA job, who know how he might act if one of his sons is not getting the PT he thinks they should or being developed the way he thinks they should. Some were critical of Harrison Sr's role in his son's decision - imagine if he was sitting on the bench? UK should work to be above this sort of stuff. We can't keep worrying about our ranking as a dynasty program but at the same time behave like a program desperate to break into the top echelon.
    I agree. And he is clearly demonstrating his career comes before what may end up being best for his sons. And demanding their loyalty be to him above all else.

A good father needn't make such demands on their children. God bless them, but Calipari doesn't need such a potential headache.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

This sounds like a slimy Rick thing.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Fiddlin' Five

I just hope Cal stays out of this mess.

I don't intend to support Dad as a potential UK coach, but I think some are going overboard in making it sound as though he would be dragging his sons off to wherever. I'm a father of a son and I think my son, as many do, would be happy to go along with me in such a situation.

The point is that the dad is using the kids for
    his benefit.
    Big Blue Mist Will Consume You

Bombino

I don’t disagree with any of your statements. However, he does have a valid point. When a prospect is looking for a job in a company, doesn’t the interviewer ask, “What can you bring to the table?” He may be asked, “Why should we hire you.” The man is obviously using his kids as a bargaining chip but he does have other qualifications. He is a quality coach with a proven track record. Would he be considered a candidate for an assistant coach job without his kids? If he is then his kids would be a bonus. I also worry about the “Loyalty to me” statement and concerns about PT for his sons. Our bench has four future pro players on it. We don’t NEED players.

I'm sorry guys, give this guy a job yesterday..

Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
    I'm sorry guys, give this guy a job yesterday..
    Absolutely.

Darryl

I'm sorry, but in a recruiting world where AAU connections, shoe companies, academic fraud at major programs and letting numerous drug tests failures slide happens I fail to see the horror in hiring a guy, if he knows basketball, who can guarantee to bring in three future pros.

The only problem might be if one of the kids isn't getting PT enough to suit them or Dad. But then Cal is the freakin King of the universe in college basketball right now so pissing him off is probably not a good game plan. JMO, but he is the biggest mover behind the NCAA downsizing their power. He's been out in front of the movement all along. Dad would fall in line and stay right damn there IMO.

It will certainly be interesting to watch.

Darryl, would you use your children in that way? what does it say about him as a person AND protential coach?

What happens when one of his sons is dogging it and needs to be yanked? How do you think such things would impact the team chemistry? Would he be loyal to Cal or his son(s)?

What happens when one gets to the pros, does he play that for a NBA job and leave us in the lurch? Doesn't he use this same pitch once he's a UK assistant to start working on his HC job? how soon is that?

How coachable will his kids be given the deal? What does the next recruit's parent ask for? Do we match that deal too? You think other parents and coaches wont angle for a deal once they know Cal gave that one out? Do we lose other top players b/c we didn't give them one and they feel like they aren't as "important"?

IMO you guys aren't looking far enough down the road of such deals to see the full risk and impact of such things, and for a parent to come out ON THE RECORD and say stuff like that should set of HUGE massive warning bells. yes deals are struck all the time, few are so brazen.

Cal has done it in the past but I'm not sure what works at memphis when you're trying to build from nothing is the right move at UK when you're on top of the recruiting and media attention mountain. What works for Mom and Pop corner grocery doesn't work for Wal Mart.

Anyone so obvious about cutting what is of necessity a backroom deal is a mess waiting to happen at UK.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
    I'm sorry, but in a recruiting world where AAU connections, shoe companies, academic fraud at major programs and letting numerous drug tests failures slide happens I fail to see the horror in hiring a guy, if he knows basketball, who can guarantee to bring in three future pros.
    The problem isn't hiring a guy who gets you ahead in that way, the problem is in hiring a guy who goes on the record blatantly saying if he's hired he'll guarantee his sons come play for that school.

Had he said nothing Cal would have plausible deniability. He could say he hired him but his sons were never promised as part of the deal when the next parent asks for something, now how does that sell? How does that sell with the NCAA, who forbids parents getting benefits for their kids attending a school?

He just turned the thing into a potential violation, not a very bright start for a coaching position IMO.

Maybe he's a great guy and just got quoted so it came off bad, that sure happens, but it was colossally stupid to say what he did in any context to the media. Now no matter what happens he wasn't hired o his merits and there are huge red flags as soon as a son joins him at a school, potentially NCAA flags if it's UK.

My issue is if he's this brazen/flippant/dumb about these comments to the MEDIA how will he be if he's on staff? Maybe he'll be great, but this is far from an auspicious interview start IMO.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I like the upfront method the coach/father is using. He is being honest and is certainly no different than the parent of almost any big time
    elite recruit's parent (s). As far as I can tell he is a coach who would be an asset to a program. Every single top 10 recruit that anyone signs
    wants to know what it is the advantage to them and their family at any respective school.

There is "clutter" associated with each and every impact recruit, IMO.

Darryl

PS - it reminds me of the interview with the owner of Studio 54 where he went on TV to brag about not paying taxes on all the bags of cash they made. The IRS kinda took notice, investigated with warrants and found trash bags full of money stuffed in the drop ceiling, in his closet at home, etc.

These deals get cut all the time, the key aspect of them being that NOTHING is out there that can prove or even suggest it was a deal beyond the mere appearance of it.

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

I like the upfront method the coach/father is using. He is being honest and is certainly no different than the parent of almost any big time
    elite recruit's parent (s). As far as I can tell he is a coach who would be an asset to a program. Every single top 10 recruit that anyone signs
    wants to know what it is the advantage to them and their family at any respective school.

Darryl
    His upfront approach is a NCAA violation waiting to be investigated. Honesty isn't always the best policy, certainly not to the media.

I'm not sure his statements didn't just guarantee we can't make a deal now. It certainly raises all kinds of questions and perception issues. Now no matter how good the merits of his hire it will be seen as just getting his sons. Rival fans would have complained about it, some media guys insinuated it, but now it's on the record. dumb.

Oh, I don't think Cal will hire him simply because Cal doesn't have to do so. He'll just get some other guys as good as this guys kids are. The same way I'm a thousand percent sure that UK is completely up and up as a program. Cal doesn't have to do anything illegal.

I just can't see how it is any worse than all the other stuff other programs do.

Maybe I worded it wrong. I wouldn't have a problem with Cal doing it simply because Cal is Cal. Don't start any chit with him or he'll eventually curb stomp you. I may not always agree with his personnel decisions or what not, but I'm quite certain that he has every bit of the juice he needs to squash a guy like this if he wanted to.

But then, Cal might hire the guy just to piss everyone else off.

What is the rule regarding assistants and their sons signing with them?

Thanks, Darryl

What is the rule regarding assistants and their sons signing with them?

Thanks, Darryl
    He may have insured it doesn't matter b/c he's not an assistant anywhere and he just said if he got a financially rewarding job he'd GUARANTEE his 3 sons play for that school.

How is that different than someone saying "if a company in that town hired me I'd guarantee my son plays for the school in that town"?

Let me ask you this: regardless of the rules, how do you think the NCAA will react if he comes to UK? At UNC or Duke it's a pass, but at UK what happens? What position has it now put Sandy Bell in?

It was dumb beyond dumb. You don't discuss your shady dealings in public much less give interviews about them. Hasn't this guy seen The Godfather?

And to the extent it was dumb do you want him on your staff where he can make the next dumb decision? Maybe he's great, but it's a bad start to an interview. Really bad IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
    Oh, I don't think Cal will hire him simply because Cal doesn't have to do so. He'll just get some other guys as good as this guys kids are. The same way I'm a thousand percent sure that UK is completely up and up as a program. Cal doesn't have to do anything illegal.

I just can't see how it is any worse than all the other stuff other programs do.

Maybe I worded it wrong. I wouldn't have a problem with Cal doing it simply because Cal is Cal. Don't start any chit with him or he'll eventually curb stomp you. I may not always agree with his personnel decisions or what not, but I'm quite certain that he has every bit of the juice he needs to squash a guy like this if he wanted to.

But then, Cal might hire the guy just to piss everyone else off.
    I'm not against hiring a guy who can get in with a kid or 3, that stuff does happen. I think though that you don't hand out assistant positions for it at UK b/c one, even 3 players aren't worth having an assistant spot that can't otherwise carry its weight. You MUST have a top notch staff.

now this guy may be top notch, so you get the kids and you get a good assistant, totally possible.

The problem isn't hiring him, it's that now he's permanently tainted the hire and it's seen as hiring him for the kids and not on his own merits, and it's in print, which opens up a much bigger can of worms than just the appearance that it MAY have been about his 3 sons.

It isn't that he may get hired b/c of his connection with his sons, it's how he just went about it that has klaxons going off in my head.

Fab Five

Darryl
    Justify it anyway we want, but if the first we heard of this was him being hired at UNC-CH, IU, or UCLA what would our reaction be? As to this being no different than any other recruit's parents, how many other recruit's father can you remember pimping his sons out for a job? And if he was such an asset as an Asst. Coach, why does he feel he has to pimp out his sons to get a college asst job?

What happens after year two and he gets a better offer and he and his three sons ride off to Kansas or wherever?

If we were IU I'd be for it because that might be the only way we could ever become relevant again. But we don't have to do what IU does to remain at the top of the game.

I agree that all recruits want to know what advantages a particular school provides to them, but that doesn't extend to their families. If we do this, how different are we from, IIRC, Duke who rumor has it got a recruit's mother a job in Durham a few years back?

Gotta say I agree with Citizen on this one. He raises way too many points that I was thinking of while reading through this thread. The way Daddy Morebucks words his campaign speech gives me a VERY bad feeling.

He might have been asked. If he would have waited, he could have "attained" a position without losing his personal pride in the process... that or... he has little personal pride. In any event, it smells like stinky fish to me.

Go monger your sons somewhere else and we will sit back and watch the inevitable drama take some OTHER program out in the NCAA first round.

Remember when Duhon went to Duke? His mother got a nice, fairly high paying job from a local company that she was not completely qualified for and UK fans bayed at the moon for the clowns to investigate, which they failed to do.

I can not say the father in this case is not somewhat qualified to go to any school in an entry position on the staff, but it is obvious that his real qualification is that he sired and controls 3 potential all star college players. Hope Kansas or UNC-CH*** needs an assistant.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

First and foremost he is using his sons for personal gain. With no guarantee it is in their individual interest as players and students.

His plan, to be a fatherly gesture imho, would have to include assurances for each son that just can't be given in advance..and likely can't be achieved at one program.

Yet he would require them to attend where he is hired regardless of any future situation that might otherwise make it less attractive for the young men.

Sad...but I hope it works out for them.

I'm in the camp with "stay away" this sounds like a trap to me, and I'm not sure Sandy Bell would sign off on it. I think CBBN nailed it with UNC, dook, and anybody else in the free world could make the deal (and there it is it's a deal) and it wouldn't be a problem, Cal+KY=Death Penalty

Didn't Emmert & Co make some rule about hiring relatives, I seem to remember something coming up about a potential hire/scholarship deal at UL that brought this practice to the forefront...IIRC Ricky hired the guy and then didn't get the player, but there was some focus on the situation.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire