Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardinals vs Nationals

Cardinals vs Nationals

Nationals
    Gio Gonzalez (21-8, 2.89)
    Jordan Zimmermann (12-8, 2.94)
    Edwin Jackson (10-11, 4.03)
    Ross Detwiler (10-8, 3.40)

St. Louis
    Adam Wainwright (14-13, 3.94)
    Jaime Garcia (7-7, 3.92)
    Chris Carpenter (0-2, 3.71)
    Kyle Lohse (16-3, 2.86)

I'd feel better if Lohse was starting Game 1. I'm not 100% sure this is the rotation, either.

Re: Cardinals vs Nationals

I've been unsure of our pitching all year. Last night Lohse got the hook too early in my opinion and chaos nearly ensued afterwards. Game would have been in control if Lohse would have pitched 7 and Motte finished...
    Armchair managing lol
    The Nationals are consistent on the mound. Bring it on, I'm glad to root for a team with a chance..

Do you guys agree with the infield fly rule that was called during the game.

It was an infield fly by definition, but calling it a second before it hit the ground while the runners are advancing was bad form. The rule book from MLB:

An INFIELD FLY is a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out. The pitcher, catcher and any outfielder who stations himself in the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule.
    When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare “Infield Fly” for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the baselines, the umpire shall declare “Infield Fly, if Fair.”
    The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. If the hit becomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul.
    If a declared Infield Fly is allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces foul before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball. If a declared Infield Fly falls untouched to the ground outside the baseline, and bounces fair before passing first or third base, it is an Infield Fly.
    Rule 2.00 (Infield Fly) Comment: On the infield fly rule the umpire is to rule whether the ball could ordinarily have been handled by an infielder—not by some arbitrary limitation such as the grass, or the base lines. The umpire must rule also that a ball is an infield fly, even if handled by an outfielder, if, in the umpire’s judgment, the ball could have been as easily handled by an infielder. The infield fly is in no sense to be considered an appeal play. The umpire’s judgment must govern, and the decision should be made immediately.
    When an infield fly rule is called, runners may advance at their own risk. If on an infield fly rule, the infielder intentionally drops a fair ball, the ball remains in play despite the provisions of Rule 6.05 (L). The infield fly rule takes precedence.

The bolded part is what didn't happen.

I didn't see it live, but from all the replays I've seen, I think they made a bad call. At any rate, if that was their call, they should have made it immediately, and if it isn't immediately obvious, then it's obviously the wrong call.

Does anyone else think the lower seed has the advantage in these best of 5 series? It's a whole lot easier to win two games in a row than it is three. If St. Louis (or San Francisco) wins the first two at home, then even if they lose the next two on the road they can still win the series by taking the third road game. I like the 2-2-1 set up a lot better.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Have no problem with the call except for the delay in making it. That made it a horrendous call.

Definitely met the definition of the rule, and within the umpires discretion. I have heard that the LF umpire, not the home plate or 3B umpire, actually made the call. From all accounts, WAY too late.

I've called games before many years ago, and no, I would not have made the call. But I wouldn't argue with someone who did, either.

Oh, I forgot the question about the format. I do agree, there is a lot to like if you are the underdog.

The ump waited too long to make the call. The Redbirds caught a big break on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by CatinIL View Post
    The ump waited too long to make the call. The Redbirds caught a big break on that one.
    Agreed. Likely 1 run would have scored with certainty. We will never know for sure.

Wild card winner has the "normal" schedule. Still game sharp, playing Friday, Saturday is like a typical travel day. The Nats have had a few days off. Maybe rusty

First pitch at 3:07 EST

Thanks, D. For some reason I was thinking the game was tonight.

2-1 Redbirds in the 8th

And as I post that, the Nats are now up 3-2.

Nats take game 1, 3-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    Nats take game 1, 3-2.

Very disappointing after leading virtually the whole game!

Washington has great pitching. They kept a lid on us all day.

We're playing with house money this year, much like the Basketball Cats will be doing. Still, disappointing.

As a Cards fan, I HAVE to believe Joker and Tubby "must go".

Seriously, I would have like to have seen Lance Lynn face a few more batters, regardless of which side of the plate they were batting.

I thought that blue2...just like Lohse needed to get into the 7th against the Braves. Thats what Matheny makes the big bucks....

The format sucks but the road team won the first game in all series with both Detroit and Cincinnati taking both.

Yep. So much for the format favoring the lower seed. Reds are up 2-0!
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Cards up 7-1 at the top of the 5th as I type this.

Lance Lynn replaced Garcia, who was lifted for a pinch hitter in the bottom of the 2nd, which worked out nice for the Cards at that point.

8-3 Rebirds in the 7th.

Weird top of 7th. Holliday butchered a throw in from left and still caught a greedy tag up from 2nd to 3rd.

8-4 going to the 8th.

On the edge of losing that inning, but Boggs hangs on to the 8-4. Motte will appear for the 9th.

Kozma doubles, John Jay triples, Beltran homers. 11-4. This Bud's for you!!!!!
    Last edited by Catonahottinroof; 10-08-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Holliday scores, 12-4 and now were going to the 9th.

I really like this Kozma kid!

The catch by Jay was incredible!

A hot Beltran makes me happy!

Cards win!!
    Last edited by blue2ksr; 10-08-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Ball game!

Unforgettable

My sister was at the game today. And one of my good friends son was the kid who had the 2 run pinch single yesterday that won the game.
    Garcia may have hurt his shoulder, reason they took him out, will do an MRI